Author Topic: What do you pack your clothes in when travelling in a camper trailer  (Read 13982 times)

Offline NeilNTan

• Learning the Ropes
Hi All,

I posted a while ago when hubby and I couldn't agree on a TVan or Jayco Eagle for our 4 month trip. We have 3 children under 4 1/2 and hubby won!!! Hence we are shortly leaving in "Tommy TVAN".

Anyway, I am curious to see how others transport their clothes while travelling. Since there are 5 of us, 4 of whom get extremely messy!! we are going to need a fair few clothes.

Do we use plastic boxes, suit cases, bags??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Tan

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
Re: What do you pack your clothes in when travelling in a camper trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »
In our Krumberley we use those rectangular zipped under bed storage bags you buy from department stores. they have clear tops and fold flat. On long trips the 3 girls use 1 each. I have a small overnight bag in the back of the car as i dont sleep in the camper. Remember, Its better to pack your gear to suit your space than make your space suit your gear.
Darren
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:12:03 AM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »
We use a water/dust proof gear bag each. We got them from Anaconda but these are the same
http://www.caribee.com.au/product.php?prd=138
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline sassenach.girl

• Swag User
  • Planning a 2012 Big Lap around Oz
    • Our 2012 Big Lap Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 10:12:42 AM »
I pack all the clothes for the four of us (2 adults, 2 girls under 5) in four see-through plastic tubs from SuperCheapAuto. In there are our clothes, a toiletry bag each, and the girls have their soft toy for sleep time. We also take along a large camping stuff-bag (with drawstring) as the portable "dirty clothes basket" -> very easy to carry to the camp laundry and easy to stuff in a spot in the camper trailer or back of the wagon. We use the same rule at home while camping ..... everything goes back into its place after use.

Incidently, everything non-furniture is packed in a tub, so everything has its place. Pantry tub, kitchen appliance tub, electrical/lighting tub! And we sized the tubs so they fit perfectly side by side in the CT :)

Sass.
2011 Toyota LC150 Prado GLX
2010 Lifestyle Explorer Plus
------------------------------------------------
Mrs (me) + Mr + 2 x wee chicks < 7

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »
We use a duffel bag each, for the three of us, but it's not ideal as the clothes get messed up and the bags seem to takeup a lot of space.

Something with a regular shape would be an improvement for us.

Another member on here packs a lot into a space case, large enough to take the gear for several people. Being solid, dust and water proof, it's easy to transport, possibly not as versatile when at camp, depending on the amount of space you have available.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Variflex

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 11:02:35 AM »
I prefer to pack our clothes in a sports bag as the bag is soft and can be squashed or pushed into a tight space if need be, If space was plenty then the plastic see through box would be my preference.

Great choice on the Tvan aswell i think

Cheers
Darren

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:07:30 AM »
We have a draw in the front of our camper that opens into the camper when set up. We found we could get three of those plastic bins on the draw with very little wastage. he boys have one each and Viv and I share. It's easy to get to so all good. We then out dirty laundry in heavy duty rubbish bags and put then in the RackSack on the roof until the next stop.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Talawana5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 01:26:44 PM »
Hi like others have said it depends on the space you have, we have a Tvan and we store our clothes in plastic boxes that we bought from kmart under the bed, we have a box each,also like some others we have a plastic bag in a material bag for the dirty clothes. I try to wash underclothes every day and when we travel I hang them in the back of the crusier (inside) on a clothes line that Ron has strung up.Then we don't have to take to much clothes.Happy travelling you will love the Tvan. Cheers

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
Duffle bags ...
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
We also use a small duffle bag each so it's easy to squash into spots, the bags are different colours so Amanda and I know which one our clothes are in without going through both bags.

Thanks, yogi

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »
Our day to day cloths are in a 90L tub with a lid , this mostly dust proof & tidy . We plan for longer term to carry the things that will be  extra to daily in a space case on the roof . Also inside the case will be a hippo pack to absorb any moisture to keep the contents  fresh . The space case is able to keep out dust even fuel fumes  Also spare sheets & blankets etc
All used clothing will be washed in a 20L drum with a lid to wash as we travel on the CT . After a rinse it can be hung out to dry that night .
Thetas the plan .     :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Annie

• Twas not me it was my shadow
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 04:46:25 PM »
We use overnite bags like others (bit bigger than them) BUT i hate them, most of the time i have to dig though them to find the stuff i want for myself.

We did buy the black plastic boxes (recyclable ones) and made lids and as I couldn't fit all my clothes in they got used for shoes and other stuff and we went back to the bags.

Smile, Be Happy and Enjoy Life and look on the bright side you only live once.
Oh and laugh too!!!!!!!

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »
We put our clothing into these and put them in the back of Nav.

Then when the c/t is setup we just carry them inside...
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/product/1516/Storage+Cupboard/70
Bill and Morag
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:51:01 PM by Bill »
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline pepiman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 06:59:41 PM »
We use Coles recycle shoppng bags. My wife had the purple ones and I had the blue. Worked well. One bag for nickers and socks. Another for shirts. Another for pants/shorts. Could fit about 8 bags in the front drawer of the camper.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
You will get Heshen Flu from mucking around with Old Bags from the supremarets  :cheers:

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 03:38:36 PM »
 :D Hi Tan + Co.  We use something like a duffle bag / sports bag and school backpacks for our gear but it resides in the back of the patrol.. in case it's needed in a hurry, or we think we might not use the CT for a night (friends / relatives places) oh and ...
Welcome and I hope you enjoy the trip
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline Dee

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I have 2 kids U/4 and we use plastic 53lt bins for big trip but our friends use the blue chiller bags from coles with the zips. So no dust gets into the clothes.

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 06:07:33 PM »
We are a family of 5 (inc 3 girls ). Our combo is a GQ Patrol + a Trackabout. On longer trips, we pack our clothes into Kytab plastic tubs,have found they stand up to the usage. The tubs stack together & the lid goes on the top tub. A small tub + a medium tub = the height of a large tub. 2 x small = a medium.This means stacking tubs to finish at a level height is easy. These are loaded into the Patrol & secured to the cargo barrier / divider. Also we take a couple of smaller o/night bags. If it's only a 1 night stop, just the O/N bags come out. If it's 2 or more than the tubs go into the camper & repacked into the o/n bags as needed. Laundry clothes go through the under bed hatch into a fish tub with a lid. Come wash time, take the fish tub & do the washing . Short trips is just the o/n type bags. I'm always going off at the girls about "how much stuff do you need for a w/end trip  >:( ".  :cheers: Bevan.
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

Offline kiva

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »
For many years - maybe a decade or so now - we've used a set of zippered rectangular storage bags from Kathmandu. Even when we use suitcases for air travel, we still keep our clothes and other items in these bags within the suitcase.

They can be seen here - http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Packs_&_Luggage/Accessories/Packing_Solutions/40326/Packing_Cell_v2.html

Now with the kids (three-and-a-half and thirteen months), we each have a bag (or two - all in the large size) and find that we don't bother with any sort of "duffel bag" or some such. Each rectangular bag can be packed away in the camper neatly. When travelling, each bag can be stuffed into a spare spot in the back of the Cruiser (or placed carefully for easy access as needed - especially for the kids!)

LandCruiser GXL 105 Series. Complete Campsite Exodus 14.

Offline NeilNTan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 06:37:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback... some serious food for thought.
Better get my act together since we are hitting the road in a week.
Cheers Tan

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 06:44:08 AM »
We use plastic Spacecases, which are a little expensive to buy, however they come with the peace of mind that they are water and dust proof.  Ours live on the top of the camper for travelling and outside the camper (in the rain if need be) when camping.

Offline kiva

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 01:37:57 PM »
We just passed by the local Kathmandu store earlier today and noticed they were having a sale. The first thing that we figured would be useful were these large (100L) "gear tanker" bags -

They looked to be the goods so we picked up three for less than the retail cost of one - then they took a further 10% off! Bargain! ;D

LandCruiser GXL 105 Series. Complete Campsite Exodus 14.

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »
Hi,

For short trips I use the Coles shopping bags. I like the square bottom so they sit neatly.

For long trips with frequent stops and starts I use sports bags. We each have a different colour.

For long trips staying put in the same place I use a 4 drawer system (from Crazy Clarks). We each have a drawer (and a spare for bits and pieces). The frame pulls apart and the drawers can stack during travel and then my little boy puts it all together when we get there - his drawer goes at the bottom so he can reach it easily.

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 06:10:55 PM »
Bevan  Have you put some extra big  big springs in yet  ?. 3 girls & the stuff they cant live without . sounds really heavy  to me . :cheers:

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »
We bought two self inflating mattresses from BCF and they came with a long 300dia drawstring type bag. As the bedrolls travel on top of the CT mattress laying flat, the bags have no use so our two teenagers use them for clothes.

Lets face it, teenagers are not going to be tidy while on hols so the bags work ok, and you can stuff them into corners and vacant spots.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.