Author Topic: Jergen Stargazer  (Read 6016 times)

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
Jergen Stargazer
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
Hi,

Ok I'm not sure if this is the right forum, I've been looking at a second hand Jergens Stargazer and really like the look of it.. its a cross between a caravan and a camper trailer.

What I really like about it is the outside kitchen and the shower unit. It just makes soo much more sense than a standard caravan, which makes it more of a CT! Has anyone had any experience of these and the quality of the work?

http://jurgens.com.au/Range/Bush-Camper/Stargazer.aspx

Im off to see one tomorrow but would be good to get some first had experiences of them!

I've now right royally confused myself between this and the Goldstream Storm.

Tim
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Jergen Stargazer
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:29:09 PM »
Go the Goldstream :) (I may be biased)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline holycrapola

• Learning the Ropes
  • Owner of a camper trailer - a tent on a trailer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »
Interesting looking camper....looks good for a beginner.

Goodluck
New 2010 BT CT - semi off road towed by an Aurion

Leaking tent...arghhh
Not enough to dampen the camping spirit

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »
I don't understand the bit about beginners??? A few more pointers would be appreciated as to what might be good and the bad............
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
Hi Tim,

I like the Jurgens caravans in general, and I like the Stargazer. I've never had an up-close look at one though, all my experience comes from internet and TV/video, which can hide a lot. From memory, someone on here has one, but I can't remember who. They quite liked it.

If you've got the option to go and have a look at one in person, I'd certainly do that. Jurgens have been making off-road caravans for years in South Africa. If their gear can stand up to that environment (and it's wildlife), then it should be pretty compatible with the Aussie outback.

The main downsides I could see would be the amount of canvas to put away wet, and what that would mean for the insides of the van (I assume they've thought about this, and can't see it being worse than a Jayco/Goldstream), as well as potential spare parts availability. They're not the most popular things around the place, after all (which is one of the reasons I like them). The drawbar-to-axle length looks very long, so the break-over angle won't be super on it, but they've got good strong slider bars along the sides of them, and the upshot is excellent departure angle at the back.

I don't understand the bit about the beginners either, but I might be missing something as well. I'd like to be enlightened. And as for D4D - don't listen to him - he drives a Prado, so you know his taste is a bit off to start with...  ;D

Good luck - they're an interesting caravan, that's for sure. You're pretty much guaranteed not to have to park next to another one like it!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline dalealford

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:24:44 PM »
Hi,

I havent camped with anyone with a stargazer but i do know someone with an Xpedition which was the previous model ( sth african made rather than aussie assembled ).
It was the same body etc and packd up looks pretty much the same ,  but instead of the pop out bed at the front had what they called a childrens double running east / west across the front ( inside the van ).

great camper,  we tried for about 2 years to get one and couldnt .  That to me said it all,  no-one that had one wanted to put it on the second hand market.
We ended up going for an Exodus Kingston in the end ( ours is build no.1 and we are still very happy with it,  although not so happy with the Exodus / Complete Campsite merger but thats another story ).

The jurgens looked to be well made for the price bracket it is in.  Interior has good use of space and yes,  the outdoor living options are good.
As has been said,  given the country of origin I would think it would be up to the task strength wise,  as for whether it suits the trips you do and the terrain you travel in thats up to you to decide.   These are longer heavier than a trailer based camper and there are limitations of where it is practical to drag it.
But im sure you know that.

The awnings are not canvas,  but more the lightweight stuff.   Having said that they are easy to set up and easy to pack up.
The bathroom tent is fairly scapious and is a great idea,  and having the door on the other side allowing access a fantastic idea.

My opinion,  go for it.

Dale