Author Topic: P Plates and dirt roads  (Read 10206 times)

Offline Greydemon

• Learning the Ropes
Re: P Plates and dirt roads
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
As with all other correspondents here I am delighted that they were able to walk away from this one, but I am probably going to be the only party pooper here. I don't quite understand this comment ....

"There was no speeding involved, in fact she was well under her 90km speed limit and they weren't being silly."

What 90km speed limit? I accept that they were not being silly, but the correct maximum speed for the conditions isn't laid down anywhere by law, it is what it is, and to have bent the car this much, or even to have crashed at all, they were clearly going too fast for a driver 3 weeks onto P plates on a dirt road with potholes, lined with trees.  Put bluntly, the fact that they crashed categorically proves in itself that they were going too fast for the conditions.

There has been some talk about Defensive driving classes here, I have had to do these regularly (regulations at work) and one thing they tell you is that there is no such thing as an accident, crashes are ALWAYS the result of a human getting in wrong. ( I tried to claim mechanical failure as an exception but they wouldn't accept even that, there view was that incorrect manufacture/maintenance/design etc etc would be the fault - you can't argue with those people sometimes)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »
What 90km speed limit? I accept that they were not being silly, but the correct maximum speed for the conditions isn't laid down anywhere by law, it is what it is, and to have bent the car this much, or even to have crashed at all, they were clearly going too fast for a driver 3 weeks onto P plates on a dirt road with potholes, lined with trees.  Put bluntly, the fact that they crashed categorically proves in itself that they were going too fast for the conditions.

Obviously she was going too fast for her level of experience!   >:D  The accident wouldn't have happened if she wasn't.

My point was that she wasn't breaking the law nor being a hoon so from a newly licenced 17 year old point of view, she thought she was ok. She did slow down for the conditions but obviously not enough. If you want specifics she was doing between 50 and 60km/p hour as deemed by the police on the case who have basically taken no action against her and have put the accident down to inexperience.

My point was that young inexperienced drivers need to be better educated re the dangers of dirt roads - something I have already taken responsibilty for. I simply posted this as a warning to other parents teaching young learners, not as a chance for all the high and mighty to critisise myself or my daughter.

Take the post for what it was meant to be.

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »
I will assume you meant no offence by that comment. Anyone who knows our family will argue that we are far from irresponsible parents.

Glenyse

Hi Glenyse

Of course I did not mean my comments to be offensive to you and your family and I have no doubt that you are both very responsible parents and in hindsight its easy to say this and that, but the most important thing is that they are all ok and can learn from the experience.

I was only stating my opinion on what I think the procedure should be to get your licence and what I will do for my children because like I said the more experience/training they can get before they hit the roads the better.
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »
Of course I did not mean my comments to be offensive to you and your family and I have no doubt that you are both very responsible parents and in hindsight its easy to say this and that, but the most important thing is that they are all ok and can learn from the experience.

I was only stating my opinion on what I think the procedure should be to get your licence and what I will do for my children because like I said the more experience/training they can get before they hit the roads the better.

Thanks for that. I totally agree with you.

Scott and Glenyse Tracey

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
Glenyse, Just showed your cousin the pics of the car,,,, his jaw droped,,, he stoped drinking for 2 mins...lol
Steve

Poverty Pack.!

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »

Take the post for what it was meant to be.

Exactly, Glenyse was just trying to highlight and exemplify what can happen to inexperienced drivers.

There were no excuses Glenyse was plainly honest.

I am sure that Glenyse and her family have run this through their minds a 100 times wondering how they could have made it better.

About now she is probably regretting even posting it.

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
About now she is probably regretting even posting it.

Almost . But if it has a positive effect on just one person it's worth it.

Glenyse, Just showed your cousin the pics of the car,,,, his jaw droped,,, he stoped drinking for 2 mins...lol
Steve

My God!! 2 whole minutes!!! He must have been really upset  :'(  :'(  :'(

Scott and Glenyse Tracey

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
only cos i wouldnt walk to the fridge for him.... :cheers:

Poverty Pack.!

Offline SAX

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »
It's not just P Platers that need practice on gravel roads!

I (and my family) were almost wiped out by a ~40 year old in a Pajero.  We were on a sweeping right hand bend, when the Paj came flying around the corner (almost power sliding).  He was heading straight for us - my wife and I both thought we were in trouble.  Luckily, he over-corrected and plowed into the trees on the side of the road (to his left).  He missed us by about 1 metre and took out a few small trees.

When I asked what happened the driver sheepishly replied "I was going too fast"...

Cheers,
Scott.
Toyota Prado 2004 GXL
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition

Offline Juggs

• Swag User
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
please dont take this as criticism of your daughter

but if there wasnt 4 people in the car, with an inexperienced driver would the outcome have been different?
chatting instead of focusing ?

i know as a teenager with my ps my parents would not allow me to take anyone in the car, dads my first car was a mazda ute the oldmans attitude was one seat for you one for your girlfriend and your mates can drive their own cars.

a bit harsh i thought at the time but prob saved my backside from a major accident

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »
Hi Juggs,

You definitely have a point and I think someone said something similar earlier in the post too. It only takes a fraction of a second to lose concentration - I think we can all admit to doing it at one time or another. It was the first time she had more than one passenger in the car and even though all the passengers said she was focused, 3 other 17 year olds would have to be a little bit of a distraction. They had a friend visiting from the coast. He had just arrived and they were excited to show him around.  I thought they were just going up the street and had I realised they intended to go out off town I wouldn't have allowed it. Hindsite hey? I wish I could have seen then what seems so obvious now. 

Another lesson learnt - she's driving again but refusing to drive with anyone else except Mum and Dad in the car.

Scott and Glenyse Tracey