Author Topic: ARB vs TJM for vehicle accessories  (Read 24837 times)

Offline Pumbaa

• Tent User
  • Got the 4 x4 and the Omeo C/T, Where to Now
ARB vs TJM for vehicle accessories
« on: December 26, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
I need some recommendations regarding if you had to do it again to put bull bars, lights etc on your next car would you go back to ARB or TJM.

As this is my first 4x4 I would like your feedback, as word of the mouth is the best recommendation tool.

Thanks again every 1 looking forward to hearing what products and who you purchase them from.

I am looking for:

Bull bar
Lights
Tow pack
Dual battery
Snorkel
Roof rack and bars
Radio UHF
Long range petrol tank

Can not wait to hear your suggestions and further additions to add to the list  :D

Greg :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 05:43:56 PM by Pumbaa »

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
Re: ARB vs TJM for vehicle accessories
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
Sounds like you have a great list lined up, firstly I would take your list into each supplier then see what sort of deal you will be able to get yourself, That's if your buying more than on accessory at a time!

You can also mix n match  ;D

I'll be watching this thread too!

Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Pumbaa

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »
I hope to buy them all at once, and yes get a great deal. At the moment I guess I would like to work out which company and products are recommended.

I can't wait to get my new pathfinder.

Greg

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
eBay, all the junk on ours except the air lockers came from eBay.

And the only thing that has given us issues on the car is the only think we purchased new, the air lockers... Go figure!

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 04:31:22 PM »
Depends on who's fitting the bits too. I'd ask around your area as to who has good/not so good mechanics working there. You don't want shoddy work on things like snorkels.

Regarding bars, my new ARB one has no jack points for a hilift which is pretty slack IMO - otherwise it's a very nice bit of kit. I tend to get stuff like radios, lights etc from whoever has the gear I want at the right price, then I get a reputable local auto elec to fit it. I figure it's their specialty, and they seem to tolerate me nagging them about what gauge wire to use etc.. ;D That said, I can't fault the gear/service my local ARB provides.

One last thing, if you're considering a winch. I recently bought a Warn 8000lb from the States for $1000 less (incl post) than the local ARB quoted. Normally I support the locals, but I made an exception for that one! Quadratec were the mob if you're interested - they were excellent to deal with. ARB still fitted it with no hassles (and yes, I've given it a run!...)

Have fun,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »
our prado is basically a driving advert for ARB, thats because I am happy with the prices / service I get from them. I doubt there is much difference between the two, its just how good the people are that work at your local dealer. As others have said, ask around, see who is happy with the service they have gotten or more importantly if they are not happy, find out why.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »

Hi Pumbaa

Our fleet vehicles that run ARB NEVER have issues with quality. 

Cant say the same for ANY other mainstream brand sadly.

Have fun buying!
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

crackacoldie

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »
Gday Pumbaa,

I have mixed and matched from a variety of companies and have not had an issue with any of them. As stated earlier in the post try and find out your local dealers and who has the best mechanics as this will be a big influence on the reliability of the product.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 06:37:10 PM »
i had a warranty issue as posted on this forum with arb - curly one that they could have easily fobbed me off with - even the other forum members were saying i was legally on shaky ground - morally perhaps a bit better - but after investigation and a chat to the regional manager they fixed the problem for the price of parts which was negligible

very happy with the service.  will buy from them again.

if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 06:48:56 PM »
Each do various products better.......
Below is IMO......

Bull bar - ARB hands down, do the best bar on the market.
Lights - Much for muchness, most dealers stock the same or similar lights.
Tow pack - Most deal Hayman Reece which is the way to go.
Dual battery - ARB and TJM have similar products but I have the Piranaha DBS180S, I'm running two of these to enable a 3 stage system to charge trailer batteries.
Snorkel - Most will run Safari and I personally prefer the Safari in many ways....
Roof rack and bars - Not a fan of the ARB version though I got mine through a TJM store which is the Tradesman Oval Alloy which is fantastic.
Radio UHF - All will run similar models
Long range petrol tank - Petty sure both run Longranger tanks.

So with this in mine, shop around and see which one will give you the best deal for bulk purchase. You will be surprised what you can get. We basically got our $1100 roof rack for free when we did a $14k fit out...... :cheers:

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Pumbaa

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »
Thanks every for your feed back so far..... :cheers:

I was more interested in the great debate between 2 companies and getting every ones opinion on there products and so far it a draw  8)

I will be visiting both companies to get prices on the list.

Dam i wish it was in the drive way already   :D

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 07:19:52 PM »
Thanks every for your feed back so far..... :cheers:

I was more interested in the great debate between 2 companies and getting every ones opinion on there products and so far it a draw  8)

I will be visiting both companies to get prices on the list.

Dam i wish it was in the drive way already   :D

The companies themselves are much the same, the dealerships on the other hand are 2 different things. I have had good service from TJM cairns but cannot say the same thing about ARB Cairns. Products are good, service POO...... :cheers:

Check the service from your local dealer and see what gives you the best vibe......
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
No one company has the best of everything.  Best idea is to check out what each supplier has to offer, and compare each item on an individual basis.

My Patrol is a bit of a mix and match affair, picking the best of each item.

Not a lot of people have the cash to drive in and have all the accessories fitted all in one sitting, especially after just purchasing a new vehicle.

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 07:53:44 PM »
I have ARB in most things.....However Ironman is well worth adding to your list to investigated......I here they had "poached" a few of the ARB R & D guys over the last year or two.....a mate has just got a deluxe B/Bar for his Prado and very happy, I got one of their awnings and happy. I beleive the poor name they had was in the past.....

:cheers:
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »
You also need to consider the what-if scenario. In case something happens in the bush do you have an Aus wide network of dealers who can help? Oh ARB is cool, TJM is ghey  O0
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 07:30:26 AM »
Hey Teabag, did you see the TV add for new ownership/management of ARB Cairns recently?

In Darwin I was an ARB devotee. Good service and rapport with the manager.  In Cairns, I've become a TJM devotee, good service & rapport with the manager.

'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 08:14:48 AM »
Hey Teabag, did you see the TV add for new ownership/management of ARB Cairns recently?
In Darwin I was an ARB devotee. Good service and rapport with the manager.  In Cairns, I've become a TJM devotee, good service & rapport with the manager.

Speaking to a few of the 4x4 people here unfortunatly ARB are not any better than they were before the change over...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 08:16:36 AM »
I have ARB in most things.....However Ironman is well worth adding to your list to investigated......I here they had "poached" a few of the ARB R & D guys over the last year or two.....a mate has just got a deluxe B/Bar for his Prado and very happy, I got one of their awnings and happy. I beleive the poor name they had was in the past.....

:cheers:
I can vouch for this one if you are in Cairns.
Nathan Lockyear has the local Ironman here and he and his staff are excellent.
IMO the Ironman products are top notch as well...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 08:47:13 AM »
There's been talk on other forums about paint quality/corrosion issues on Ironman bars. I'd be careful on that one - agree they look ok but you can have the "real deal" for a few hundred bucks more. In my town at least, the ARB was only a couple of hundred more than the similar looking Ironman so we're not talking mortgages here!

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 08:52:54 AM »
The companies themselves are much the same, the dealerships on the other hand are 2 different things. I have had good service from TJM cairns but cannot say the same thing about ARB Cairns. Products are good, service POO...... :cheers:

Check the service from your local dealer and see what gives you the best vibe......

Totally agree there.  

The ARB in Rockhampton was great, always friendly and would bend over backwards for you.  But unless you are going to fit out an entire fleet the ARB in Mackay doesn't want to know you.

The TJM in Rockhampton and Mackay are probably on par with each other.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:59:19 AM by Symon »
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 09:08:30 AM »

Yes, but the staff hasn't changed which is the issue at the Cairns store. I agree, the TJM store in Cairns has very good reliable service. ARB Cairns needs to have a good look at themselves wrt service, products are great but service POO..... >:(

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »
Yes, but the staff hasn't changed which is the issue at the Cairns store. I agree, the TJM store in Cairns has very good reliable service. ARB Cairns needs to have a good look at themselves wrt service, products are great but service POO..... >:(

Sounds like ARB Alice Springs. All I wanted was a couple of bolts as the stupid captive nuts they use for the bash plates had come adrift somewhere in the bush. They said no they don't have any and go away :(
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »
Totally agree there.  

The ARB in Rockhampton was great, always friendly and would bend over backwards for you.  But unless you are going to fit out an entire fleet the ARB in Mackay doesn't want to know you.

The TJM in Rockhampton and Mackay are probably on par with each other.

Thats funny ( not in haha ) I only bought suspension lift through ARB MKY and Ken says hi and Knows my name when i walk in there 2 times a year.

I went TJM bar as it had a raised centre tube to fit larger lights, which ARB doesnt cater for.
ARB raised suspension on reputation and they had a demo vehicle decked out the same.
Regards DP
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 11:17:33 AM »
Thats funny ( not in haha ) I only bought suspension lift through ARB MKY and Ken says hi and Knows my name when i walk in there 2 times a year.

You must just stand out in the crowd then - either that or he liked the look of you :)
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »
Service is what counts , on the nth side of brisvegas ARB simply has no service where as TJM cant seem to do enough for you , little bits count ,  ARB no prices displayed on stock so YOU have to approach the salesman and woe betide you if you tell them that your only in the process of looking and comparing ,