Author Topic: Single Mum round Oz trip net year - need advice re: camper trailer  (Read 10558 times)

Offline SamP

• Learning the Ropes
Hi all,
I'm a single mum with two primary school aged boys. I'm looking at pulling the boys out of school next year and travelling around our great country for six months or so.
I *think* I've decided not to to upgrade my 2002 V6 Toyota Camry wagon (1600 towing capacity) as a 4WD will cost me buckets, not be what I want to drive when I get back "home" and I'm thinking that as a single woman with little kids, doing real 4WD travel is probably not a really safe/wise move. However, could that cost be negated by the savings in fuel by buying a diesel 4WD? Anyway, I *think* I'd like to get a camper trailer and would like advice - soft/hard floor etc, but the thing that I'm most interested in, is whether I'm going to be able to set it up by myself? The boys could help hold apole steady etc, but they're not strong kids (am hoping six months travel will get them stronger!).
Many thanks in advance for any ideas/advice.
cheers,
--Sam

Variflex

Re: Single Mum round Oz trip net year - need advice re: camper trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:17:07 PM »
Sounds like a great plan and I reckon your kids would learn a lot more whilst travelling than what they would at school

Ohh abd welcome to the forum

Offline blaze

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 11:27:39 PM »
I think I would look at the pop up type vans that the beds pull out the end, designed for the blacktop, low profile to tow for better fuel, easy set up if you find the right one and more like a caravan when up. Thinking home schooling etc.
cheers
blaze

Offline MrWilson

• Sleeping Bag User
    • Queensland Ambulance Servise
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:09:11 AM »
Hi Sam

Good planning is required but a great way to see around this big island & a lifetime of experience to the kids & you.

Take a look at a few at any major camping & caravan show. That way most are on display & you can see a demo of them being set up.

We have a soft floor camper that I can set up & pack up alone without too many issues. This depends on the if the canvas is wet or dry as the weight makes a difference. There are a few hard floor campers that are able to be set up by a single person with ease. The difference on economy is the drag of wind resistance & a diesel will mean you can cover greater distances on the same $$ plus diesel is more common of the beaten track.

Happy buying & travels.

MrWilson
2006 4.2 GU Patrol, BullBar, HID Lights, OME Suspension, Snorkel, Duel Batteries, Roof rack, Challenge Camper Trailer ... & a long wish list ...

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:12:28 AM »
SamP,
we have a side fold soft floor CT. We went for the side fold as it was easier for my wife to put up on her own. We found with the end fold CT's, you have more canvas weight to leverage over to bring it up, so my wife found them to be very hard to do on her own.

We went to the manufacturers and had my wife try setting up each one on her own. I didn't look at the hard floors but there are some that have wind out mechanisms so they would be easier again.

As for the car, you may want to think about a diesel SUV AWD..that way you have the fuel economy, can still go some reasonable places you find as your travelling around (that you can't go in a 2WD), and you can use it when you get back.

Lots of luck planning the trip. Sounds like a great thing to be doing with the kids at the right age.

Mark   
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:35:43 AM »
You need to really identify what area's that you are going to be travelling in, if blacktop all the way there is no need to buy a 4wd, but if you want to experience some of the more beautiful area's of OZ it is definatly worth serious considering a small 4wd like an xtrail of forrester as these have selectable low range options which can be great to get you out of even a wet forest road. Also look at joining a 4wd club in your local area for driver training or a private training company, you will learn lots of little things & give yourself new confidance..Above all have fun.. ;D

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »
Welcome to MySwag. Another consideration is how long you plan to spend in each place. If you plan to stay for a week at a time then a soft floor is ok. If you plan to do overnighters then you need something quick to setup and packup. BTW there are some great campers in the for sale section.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:27:08 AM »
Hi Sam and welcome to Myswag...you've really come to the right place!  :cup:

The guys have given you all great advice and probably your head is buzzing already!

Single mum here as well but with an older teenager now and we've been having adventures in the camper for about 12 months now. So, still far from being an expert but have definite ideas on some things! I have a Hilux 4wd to tow my camper with. As where I live out here there are plenty of dirt roads you travel on just everyday, it suits me for that purpose as well but like you, I'd probably not go off 4wding by myself. However, having friends with 4wds means I can go with others on those style of trips as well. Even having met people from this forum who are keen 4wders has got me out off the black top as well.

Having said that, I don't want to make you have upgraditis but at least have a look at a map of Australia and see just how little of it is serviced by bitumen roads as compared to dirt roads. I agree with the guys advising you to have a look at the small SUV's as you might find that even they will handle our worst bitumen roads better than the station wagon and pretty much all of them are just like a small car to drive.

If you are going to stick with the Camry, make sure that if you decide to push the 1300kg towing capacity, you at least have some sort of brakes on the camper. In fact, I think in most states if your trailer is over 750kg in weight, it must have brakes.

Good luck with your search and all the best for your big adventure!

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »
Hi,
  some reading from the Tambo site

120 camps in 6 months

wrong way round

cheers

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »
Hi Sam and welcome to My Swag. This trip will be a fantastic experence for you and the boys, good luck finding a CT that fits your requirements as mentioned previously go to a camping show to see whats on offer :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »
You will find some very expert opinion in this forum from fellow swaggers.

The best for camper for you and your youngsters would have to be a pop top, for they are easly assemble, easy pack up with one person.

Good Luck and have a happy journey.

Offline MC 031

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »
I have a hard floor CT and can set up and pack it up on my own and I have friend with a soft floor CT and she can set her up and pack up on her own also.

If you are considering a new CT go and have a chat to the manufacturer and tell him/her what you need and why.

Offline SamP

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »
Thanks so much to everyone for your replies, advice and links.
You're bad for me though, because now I want to get a 4WD/AWD and travel *everywhere*.
But, I suspect it really isn't a safe idea, and financially a new car *and* all terrain camper-trailer are simply not in the budget. Can anyone talk me around? I need some nudging.
I did go to our local Adelaide caravan and camping show a few weeks ago and  probably got more confused than I was before! lol!
Also, the idea of joining a 4WD club sounds great - but being the "third wheel" as a single Mum isn't very appealing. - Does anyone know if there is anything for single parents?
Thanks again - I especially loved reading the stories posted by austastar!
cheers,
--Sam

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
Hi Sam,

Can you give us some info about what sort of camping you are looking to do e.g. background as to how experienced you are with camping, whether or not you only want to stay in caravan parks, or would like to have the option of more out of the way places (bush camping) etc.

Do you have a budget in mind?  No point in us suggesting something that isn't in your ball park.

What places do you really want to go?  As has been said, you can get a lot of places on made roads / good dirt, but lots more if you can manage some of the rougher roads.

If you are in Adelaide, there is a SA myswag get together planned for June (http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=11216.0).  All myswaggers welcome, camper trailer or not (tent, caravan) - would be an opportunity to meet some people and swap ideas.

cheers,

Richard
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »

Also, the idea of joining a 4WD club sounds great - but being the "third wheel" as a single Mum isn't very appealing. - Does anyone know if there is anything for single parents?

Not sure of what 4wd clubs are in your area but there is probably more than one.  I'd suggest heading along to a meeting of each that sounds as though you may want to be a member and just see if you fit in.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  I know we welcome all people, our club is family based there are often lots of kids on our trips with people of all backgrounds, all sorts of experience camping, 4wding, etc
 :cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline SamP

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
Hi Richard,
I've always been a tent camper, and an occasional backpacker. Backpacking is not really on the radar with two kids now.
It's an interesting question re: my experience. When I think about it, it sounds like I have quite a bit - but I've always been with other friends/families. That said, I always set up my own camp/tent etc.
I would love the option of bush camping etc - but figure that requires off-road trailer and a 4WD - out of my budget at this stage unfortunately. I probably have about $20 to spend *all up*, plus daily living expenses for on the road. I'm happy to stay at caravan parks, but equally happy being unwashed and remote.
I'm now considering whether I should just get one of those caravans that pop up with the beds at either end, and just stick to the beaten track until I can upgrade the car.
The June weekend sounds great. Am now seriously considering it! You're not all just axe murderers posing as campers to attract new victims are you? ;)
cheers,
--Sam

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »
Hi Sam,

I am also a single Mum with mid range (agewise) kids. We have a hard floor cub camper that I can setup and pack up alone (other Swaggers have recently seen me in action). I had a Jayco Eagle and it was just a bit too big to manage alone on longer trips with frequent stops.

I tow with a 4WD and whilst I dont 4WD alone I do hit the dirt alone and like to 4WD for the stability. We do everything from caravan parks to bush camping and take all the required accessories.

I think you can manage most of the best sites and with confidence you may have a go at other less accessible but popular places. Timing is eveything. I find that most people are intrigued by us, appluad us for trying and help where they can. If I get into trouble I ask for help and I have yet to get into a situation I cant get out of ...

I think you need to plan well, prepare for the unexpected and make sure you pack your sense of adventure.

All the best,

J
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:14:06 PM by coffs camping »
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline Jardry

• Tent User
  • 2005 Jayco Freedom / 1999 Outback Sturt
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »
Sam,

Not all bush camping requires a 4WD.

There are some wonderful bush camp sites in the Riverland in the National Parks - Lyrup, Kataraptko, Moorook, etc.
Until recently most didn't need a 4WD to access, now even if you did have a 4WD you wouldn't be able to access them due to the high river levels and rising water table. Give it 12 months or so and these areas will be back to normal. Fees are a lot less than caravan parks, about $5/night I think from memory.

I'm sure there are lots of areas around Australia which would have similar bush camping areas.

As far as pop top versus camper trailer, only you can decide. There are pros and cons for both styles.

With young kids and relatively hassle free set up, maybe the pop top is more desirable.

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »
Sam,

Seems you've been given a lot of sound advice. What ever you decide to purchase in the long run comes down to your budget, where you want to take it and how long you will be staying in the one place. A lesson that I have learnt,,,make sure you know how to reverse the CT BEFORE you need too! :-[ :-[

Now, where is my axe >:D >:D >:D >:D

Disco.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 02:25:12 PM »
Whack a 2" lift and some muddies on the Camry and it'll be sweeeet! ;D

O.K., maybe not. Seriously, there's heaps of nice "bush" camps that don't need 4wd or offroad trailer, so just get an easy-to-tow and easy-to-erect camper and enjoy yourselves.

(As an aside, there's an RV Prado on another site with every accessory you could ever want, in good nick, for under $12K, so they can be affordable if you really want one)

Have fun,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
You need to really identify what area's that you are going to be travelling in, if blacktop all the way there is no need to buy a 4wd, but if you want to experience some of the more beautiful area's of OZ it is definatly worth serious considering a small 4wd like an xtrail of forrester as these have selectable low range options which can be great to get you out of even a wet forest road. Also look at joining a 4wd club in your local area for driver training or a private training company, you will learn lots of little things & give yourself new confidance..Above all have fun.. ;D

Sorry Britts but the X-Trail does not have low range, but is still a very capable soft roader See this site for more advice on the X-Trail Australian X-Trail Forum

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 10:17:52 PM »
You're not all just axe murderers posing as campers to attract new victims are you? ;)

Damn, you've seen through our cunning ruse. >:D 

You'd be most welcome at the June get together.  Like Jardry said, bush camping doesn't require a 4wd, but wanting to do some may influence what will suit you best - water supply, 12 volt power etc. can all make bush camping easier and more pleasant.  From what you have said so far there are a number of soft floor and even hard floor campers that might suit you.  Off the top of my head, the cameron canvas concept is a really easy to set up soft floor (not sure how easy to get second hand), also the Outback campers Sturt is pretty easy.  There is a thread on here somewhere about easy set up campers.  Otherwise the cub hard floors (on and off road) are pretty easy to set up and there is reasonable chance you may get a second hand one.

cheers,

Richard
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline hairymick

• Tent User
  • 2010 Nissan Navara D22, 2005 Kimberly Escape
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
G'day Sam,

Welcome aboard.

Just thinking outside the box here.

Have you considered putting your camper money towards a smallish 4WD and then going trailer camping? ie a reasonable box trailer with a quality, easy pitch tent and accessories.

I was thinking of a tent something like this one.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/turbo-lite/turbo-lite-plus/

I own one of these and can vouch for the quality and the ease of pitching.
Cheers,
Mick

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 06:48:06 PM »
Hi Sam,

Just thinking outside the box here.

Have you considered putting your camper money towards a smallish 4WD and then going trailer camping? ie a reasonable box trailer with a quality, easy pitch tent and accessories.

Another option could be, hire a camper trailer for the June get together and then check out everyone else's set up.  At least this way you can see them in action rather than the show room floor.  Although it could confuse you even more  >:D.

And it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind (I did  ;D).  Good luck with the search.

TJ
Tammy and Jeff
2010 Triton GLX-R and 2011 Aussie Swag Ultra G

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
I learnt something today regards nissans, can you tell i only drive  :cup: TOYOTAS  :cup: thanks rescue1 ;D ;D