Author Topic: ex Military Vehicles  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Rasmus

• Swag User
  • Love that trailer!!!!!
ex Military Vehicles
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »
I have notice that you can purchase ex Military Vehicles in the US and UK for very reasonable price....... defender 90 softtop for approx $15,000 with low Kms.

http://www.mod-sales.com/

Does anyone know whether it is possible to purchase ex Aus Military Vehicles and if so where from. I have not been able to find anywhere to date.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: ex Military Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »
Have a look in AULRO, there is an ex-military section in the forum.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/remlr/

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline oldturtle22

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »
Why would you want one?

Offline Rasmus

• Swag User
  • Love that trailer!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
I would like to have a look!

Offline Rasmus

• Swag User
  • Love that trailer!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:00:24 PM »
I would like to chek it out!

Offline dorey76

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »
I'd never buy one, I know how hard they work.  ;D
What ever the odometer reads, it's been treated like it should have 2 more zeros added to the end of it.
GU Patrol 4.2td with enough fruit to keep me happy for a while, Trackabout Safari, an old HSV as my on-road toy when the weather is fine and a 4.75m SeaJay for the barra.

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 05:08:13 PM »
But they are serviced more regularly than most other peoples 4s. Be interesting to see if the Landrover people come to there defence. lol

There should be enough defence people on here to know that very soon the market will be flooded with L/R 110,s, as they trasition to the new G wagon (Benz).

Would they be a bargin? Rememberig that they do not have a compliace plate so they will need to go over the pits etc. Saying that I was at one of the warehouses today and seen at least a dozen with under 10ks on the clock and these were new not rebuilds.

I drive em a fair bit, and Ill be looking for one when they come up, but I do know where, and what to look at.

Whats the saying "buyer beware"
Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline crispy

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »
Hi all not sure about where to get them but a good bet would be gov auctions ,i have to admit a 110 defender is not a bad vehicle drove the 1 &2 series also the 110 deisel when they first intro them apart from the independent suspension being somewhat needed to get used to they were a great 4wd seen thos landys go places i havent seen others go
crispy ;D

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »
With the new G-Wagon Mercs coming on-line there are going to be a bunch of 110 Landies up for auction soon. Keep an eye on Pickles and Manheim and the like and I'd guess they will be there in numbers by mid year as the whole green 4x4 and 6x6 fleet is being replaced. Bandiana near Albury is where a lot of the transport is managed, so they might go back there or be disposed of locally. The local auction makes more sense as it would reduce transport costs and stop the market being flooded, so expect them all to go back to Bandiana ???

the Landrover gear boxes were their weak point and were regularly overhauled. I don't know if it was a design fault or they weren't up to the torque pulses from the 4Cly Isuzu donk.

Now this would be a family tourer

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:30:26 PM by Hoyks »

Offline Slain

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »
if you are interested in buying one, ask to see the GM120. this is what the defence force call their log book. it will contain all servicing details, technical inspections and modifications.
the important reason for this is that many defence green fleet vehicles get rebuilt so to speak with new paint, trim etc and they will zero the odometer even though the chassis is still old. this will be noted in the gm120

Offline Rasmus

• Swag User
  • Love that trailer!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »
Mate. My first 4x4 was a Gelende Wagen en SWB, from 1980 i had done 430.000 when i sold it in 2001
i had it for 4 years and i loved it, if it was not for the expensive spar parts i would not hesitate to by one.

in Denmark where i come from are Mercedes parts so cheap and easy to come by.

miss my old GD thug it was thirsty

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 06:27:19 AM »
The Bedford tray would be handy , always had a soft spot for the cab over rig . Do they come in any other colors . SWMBO said no & haddent even heard the question  >:D   :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 06:47:49 AM »
There are other makes in the auctions besides Land Rovers, Toyota Troopies, Unimogs and so on.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 07:10:58 PM »
Baz which mog ase up for grabs , I wouldnt mind a 1700 tray to start the Ultie  Mod . That works for me  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust