Author Topic: "Such Is Life" Neds Finally Home  (Read 2585 times)

Offline bushbandit

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Oh To Be On The Wallaby
"Such Is Life" Neds Finally Home
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »
Thought i would share this with you as today we are in Kelly Country Glenrowan and did the Kelly Trail and part of it was to visit Ned Kellys final resting place as per his wishes before he was hung.After being unearthed at Pentridge Jail awhile back his decendants 3 weeks ago had him buried at Greta cemetery in the district where he lived and was schooled a place he loved.The 5 earth unmarked graves in the photo is where he is buried deep in one of them with a ton of concrete ontop to stop theives getting at him.We think it is the last one closest his mother who is in the grave at the top of the 5 unmarked ones and has the low steel fence around it .We found concrete around this but it is anybodies guess as the other 4 have noone buried in them.We had a beer with him and thought that this is a good end to a part of our early history.   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:31:56 PM by bushbandit »
2013 Mitsubishi Triton GLR 4x4
2015 Jayco Swift Outback

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: "Such Is Life" Neds Finally Home
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
Some would say that this is his resting place     finally   but it may just be a mustering point  for some  ??? ??? ???
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Murray

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
It's a pity they didn't use the DNA that identified Ned to verify the story of the fellow in Ipswich, (near Brisbane) to confirm or debunk if he was Ned's brother, Dan.

For those not familiar with the story:   http://www.qt.com.au/news/dna-test-may-solve-dan-kelly-mystery-ipswich/1089102/

Murray

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:01:11 PM »
A few links for those interested.

Ipswich Dan Kelly well and truly debunked:

http://www.glenrowan1880.com/dan_died.htm

Other info on James Ryan by Brian Stevenson, Kelly Expert, who wrote the above:

A few years ago I obtained a copy of James Ryan’s inquest, no 228 of 1948 at the Queensland State Archives. Along with a lot of technical information on the speed of the locomotive that hit him, the testimony contains the following gem from the local cop:

‘He is an old aged pensioner and when he applied for the pension his date of birth was given as 12th June, 1859. On his application for a pension his father’s name is given as Luke Ryan and that his mother’s name was Kate Lawler.  The deceased was identical with a man who claimed to be Dan Kelly. Inquiries made by the Pensions Department failed to reveal any record of his birth of as to the death of his parents as supplied by him. When interviewed by the Police in 1941 and subsequently he produced nothing to substantiate his claim to being Dan Kelly, one of the Kelly bushrangers.’

So when it came time for a pension applications, it seems that even James Ryan didn’t think that he was Dan Kelly.

The coroner’s information sheet says that Ryan was born in Ballarat and was 89 when he died, though the post-mortem certificate states that he was 94. No details of marriages or children were provided.

Here is a short article from the Brisbane Courier mail 12 March 1941, p 5 which probably explains why this unsavoury character Ryan was interviewed by police in 1941:

OCTOGENARIAN TAKES DOG INTO COURT

IPSWICH, Tuesday.— James Ryan, also known as Dan Kelly, an 86year old pensioner, with a flowing beard, was accompanied by his dog when he appeared in the Police Court, before Mr. Johnstone Smith, J.P., to-day, charged with having indecently dealt with a girl under the age of 12 at Brassall.
 Plain-clothes Constable L. J. Platz gave evidence of arrest. When asked if he wished to question the constable, Ryan said: ‘I never indecently assaulted that girl.’ Ryan was remanded until March 18. Bail was allowed, self in £50, and one surety of £50.

A pity that it continues to be run up the flagpole!

Further links. Bear in mind that at least one member of the "Family" is a contibutor to Myswag, and the family have done a fantastic job in the management of Ned's final resting place.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/1243600/ned-kelly-funeral-most-significant-historical-day/

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/pictures/gallery-e6frf94x-1226557561520?page=1

I was lucky enough to be one of the general public that were invited in for the Church  Service in Wangaratta. I have since paid my respects at the Cemetery.

Persons with the same surname as ours, but totally unrelated, were mentioned in dispatched at the time  as being "undesirables of the criminal classes". I guess nothing changes  ;D

If anyone is interested, join:

http://nedkellyforum.com/

:cheers:

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
Should have pulverised the murderers bones and dumped them in the sea.  :cheers:
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
"Such Is Life" Neds Finally Home
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:05:09 PM »
I don't get the hero worship either, he was a murderer and a theif

Offline Murray

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »
Hi Mace, I read the first article. What does the author mean by claiming Elvis is dead?!   ;D
We live in a post-modernist age and any part of the past is open for reinvention if someone can make a dollar out of it.
Hollywood does it all the time. This story is obviously close to your heart. My comments may be unresearched but they aren't as negative as some of the other comments posted.
Cr Tully knows how to work the media and will still be trotting out the Dan Kelly story for years to come as long as it brings in the tourists.

Cheers

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
As Kelly said, when being senteced by Redmond Barry: "A day will come in a higher curt than this,and we shall see who was right and who was wrong."

Barely a week after Kelly's hanging Redmond Barry was dead.  No doubt the higher judgement came quicker than either could have foreseen.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
I don't get the hero worship either, he was a murderer and a theif
I think he had a top notch PR person!
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.