Author Topic: Storage options  (Read 4330 times)

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
Storage options
« on: September 06, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »
I have a space to fill in the canopy for storage, 1100 wide, 900 high and 400 deep.

I spent half an hour this morning looking at tubs and shelving options, but nothing really caught my eye.  I'm thinking some 1/2" or 20mm box steel to make some shelves and surround it with gal mesh, and place tubs on the shelves.  I'd rather not go too full on and use drawer slides - simple tubs on shelves are what I'm thinking.

Bunning sell this Metal Mate steel stuff http://www.rcr.com.au/index.php/Slotted-Steel-Angle-System/Slotted-Steel-Handy-Flyer.html or aluminium stuff http://www.rcr.com.au/index.php/Connect-It-example/Connect-It-Example.html, which might be an option for the shelving.  Would be easy to put together, but probably not soo cheap or strong.  Would save welding, which I can't do :(

I like this idea http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAMPING-4WD-STORAGE-CAGE-SHELF-SYSTEM-/280734401575?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2580460247770873415 - might go with something lie that, perhaps without the struts.

I even thought something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/METAL-SHELVING-STORAGE-ADJUSTABLE-SHELVING-/120772011733?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2580451120161298471 might work

Anyone got any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:24:21 PM by ryangus »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Storage options
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
what exactly do you wish to store in it?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
mainly clothes and food.

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
G'day Ryangus.

What I have been using are 27.5L containers I got from bunnings. ($15 each). They are stackable and the lids lock on from either end. They are a lot more robust than the common tubs.

I have attached a pic and you can see some of them behind my fridge.

Now that Lost knows what you want to store in them I'm sure he will come up with something good.  ;D

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
What brand are those boxes?

Offline Laith

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:02:32 PM »
Robusta

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »
I used to store stuff in my canopy but now I have a poptop  ;D

Depends on how much you want to spend, but I have found that plastic boxes are a pain. What you are looking for is always in the OTHER box you didn't open. If you are up to making cabinetry, why not consider 2 or 3 sets of 125 kg drawer runners? Myself, I think I would just use two as a 300 mm high drawer is a bit limiting but maybe 1 x 200mm high drawer and 2 x 350mm high ones.

Ovesco have the drawer runners and one of the first two in the list look like they are the right length for you.
http://www.ovesco.com.au/products.php?catname=Drawer%20Slides&cat=3&sub=71&subname=OCCO%20Slides%20-%20Locking

There should be some pics in my buildup thread of some plywood drawers. You basically mount the runners, measure and cut out the bottom so it is a snug fit between the runners, fit the sides to that on th etop of the base board and reinforce the joins with angle iron on the inside. I used steel angle, but I think Alluminium would be better as it would be a lot lighter. I used T-nuts and countersunk bolts to assemble everything so there are no screws to shake out.

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
Robusta
I picked up 9 x 22L Robusta tubs today, stack 3 x 3.

I'd like to store them on shelves, to allow for easier access.  The trouble is, I only have 20mm spare to make 2 shelves (each shelf can be 10mm thick max). 

I can keep them stacked on top of each other, but the bottom boxes will be taking all the weight, and it would make access to them a bugger.  Also, I would need to secure them somehow, to stop them ending up all over the place.

I'm thinking of shelving ideas - I wonder if these Robusta tubs would be strong enough to hang from the top outside lip on angle iron?

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 02:26:47 AM »
I picked up 9 x 22L Robusta tubs today, stack 3 x 3.

I'd like to store them on shelves, to allow for easier access.  The trouble is, I only have 20mm spare to make 2 shelves (each shelf can be 10mm thick max). 

I can keep them stacked on top of each other, but the bottom boxes will be taking all the weight, and it would make access to them a bugger.  Also, I would need to secure them somehow, to stop them ending up all over the place.

I'm thinking of shelving ideas - I wonder if these Robusta tubs would be strong enough to hang from the top outside lip on angle iron?

You might try ally mesh - like what they use on screen doors - resting on the angle iron.

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Laith

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
I don't think the Robusta tubs would be able to survive being held by the lid edges.

I think separating shelves of some sort would be best.

I am planning on stacking mine 3 high on my up coming trip but mine will hold only light stuff like clothes/blankets ect. Mine are smaller capacity that yours too.