Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Headphones
« on: November 30, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
Those who wear headphones for several hours a day, which ones do you like and which should be avoided?

Cabled or wireless doesn’t matter, noise canceling not a big deal either.
Just need to have good sound quality and be comfortable for many hours continuous wearing.

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
Re: Headphones
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »
My PlayStation headphones are pretty comfortable, for me. They have cable and bluetooth options.
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2
The following users thanked this post: Pete79

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »
this will be a toyota/nissan thread...

But I had  a set of Steel Series Elites for work and play... not cheap, but the sound quality was amazing.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/steelseries-siberia-elite-prism,review-2706.html][url]http://www.tomsguide.com/us/steelseries-siberia-elite-prism,review-2706.html

Bottom Line

There's a reason this headset gets to don the "Elite" moniker in SteelSeries' Siberia line. The Elite Prism is comfy enough to wear all day, offers detailed, tweakable sound quality and packs slick glowing lights as an added touch.

You can nab SteelSeries' Siberia v3 Prism if you want solid sound and the same cool lights and excellent customization software for a lower price. However, if you can spare the premium, the Elite's better comfort, sturdier build and wider device compatibility make it one of the best gaming headsets in its price range.[/url]
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »
Cabled or wireless doesn’t matter, noise canceling not a big deal either.
Just need to have good sound quality and be comfortable for many hours continuous wearing.

This bit is the subjective bit that varies fro person to person, do you have a rough budget in mind?

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 02:29:45 PM »
This bit is the subjective bit that varies fro person to person, do you have a rough budget in mind?

Somewhere around $300 seams to be required for anything that’s not crap.

My PlayStation headphones are pretty comfortable, for me. They have cable and bluetooth options.
I stole the kids Playstation headphones for a while.
By the 3rd day of wearing them for 6-8 hours my ears where killing me.
They’re fine for a few hours here and there, but not really for day in day out use.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 02:34:16 PM »
this will be a toyota/nissan thread...

But I had  a set of Steel Series Elites for work and play... not cheap, but the sound quality was amazing.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/steelseries-siberia-elite-prism,review-2706.html

Bottom Line

There's a reason this headset gets to don the "Elite" moniker in SteelSeries' Siberia line. The Elite Prism is comfy enough to wear all day, offers detailed, tweakable sound quality and packs slick glowing lights as an added touch.

You can nab SteelSeries' Siberia v3 Prism if you want solid sound and the same cool lights and excellent customization software for a lower price. However, if you can spare the premium, the Elite's better comfort, sturdier build and wider device compatibility make it one of the best gaming headsets in its price range.[/url]

You’re probably right with the Toyota/Nissan thing, just not as much blind passion I expect... ;)

Hopefully I’ve fixed the link here too.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »
Quote from: Pete79
By the 3rd day of wearing them for 6-8 hours my ears where killing me.
They’re fine for a few hours here and there, but not really for day in day out use.

I don't think many at all are designed for 8 hours and be comfortable.

take a run down to JB and Good guys and start tryin em on.

these get good wraps on ozbargain threads
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/sennheiser-pxc550-wireless-noise-cancelling-headphones
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »
I don't think many at all are designed for 8 hours and be comfortable.

take a run down to JB and Good guys and start tryin em on.

these get good wraps on ozbargain threads
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/sennheiser-pxc550-wireless-noise-cancelling-headphones

That’s what I would do as well

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Headphones
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 02:48:05 PM »
I checked out a few at JB today.

The difference between the PXC550 and the HD 4.50 was phenomenal.

Only about $60 difference in price, but a world apart in comfort.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:49:49 PM by Pete79 »

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 04:42:32 PM »
Two that are often popular at that price point on Ozbargain are the Bose QC35 II and the Sony WH-1000XM3 they are both cordless and noise cancelling, so if you aren't after either of those, there might be better sound options for your $$$ but have seen both go for about $300 and been very popular at that price, but no personal experience.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 05:55:01 PM »
I'll probably get shouted down but I use my Apple Airpods every single day both at work and at home.  I use them for music, phone calls, audiobooks, podcasts, etc. They never get uncomfortable and I can even lie with my head sideways on the pillow no problem.

The only thing I wished they had was noise cancelling but Apple has just released a new version with noise cancelling.

The only downside is the battery only lasts a couple of years but even then I went into Apple a little over two years from when I bought them and they replaced both under warranty.  Now kinda wished they didn't - would have given me an excuse to upgrade to the noise cancelling ones.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 06:37:29 PM »
Bose quiet comfort 35 mk2
I have a pair, they are Bluetooth but also have a cord you can plug in if required. The charge easily lasts all day and are super comfortable wearing them for 3-4 hours at time multiple times a day.
They have 3 noise cancelling modes:-
high- you can’t hear much around you, nothing at all of playing moderate music levels
Low- I use this most of the time, particularly when using them for phone calls, you can have people still communicate with you while wearing them, but hear little background noise
Off- as it implies you hear all the surrounding noises but is slightly echoing or something hard to describe as all of the sounds come from the 3 microphones.
Sound quality is awesome you can alter some levels using the app on your phone
Microphones
2 rear for noise cancelling and 1 forward for voice on phone calls or recordings.
Microphone audio quality is very good, at least compared to the Apple EarPods. (Lots of YouTube comparisons available)
I paid $460 for mine, so not cheap but I believe you can get them at better prices from time to time.
This is a very honest review of a set of headphones that I have used between 5-10 hours every day for the last 2-3 years. I have had no battery issues in this time
Thanks Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline smiles

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 07:04:00 PM »
Bose quiet comfort 35 mk2
I have a pair, they are Bluetooth but also have a cord you can plug in if required. The charge easily lasts all day and are super comfortable wearing them for 3-4 hours at time multiple times a day.
They have 3 noise cancelling modes:-
high- you can’t hear much around you, nothing at all of playing moderate music levels
Low- I use this most of the time, particularly when using them for phone calls, you can have people still communicate with you while wearing them, but hear little background noise
Off- as it implies you hear all the surrounding noises but is slightly echoing or something hard to describe as all of the sounds come from the 3 microphones.
Sound quality is awesome you can alter some levels using the app on your phone
Microphones
2 rear for noise cancelling and 1 forward for voice on phone calls or recordings.
Microphone audio quality is very good, at least compared to the Apple EarPods. (Lots of YouTube comparisons available)
I paid $460 for mine, so not cheap but I believe you can get them at better prices from time to time.
This is a very honest review of a set of headphones that I have used between 5-10 hours every day for the last 2-3 years. I have had no battery issues in this time
Thanks Lloyd

X2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: Mitch92, Pete79

Offline peter2904

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 07:36:18 PM »
X3 for Bose QC35 2.  But these was a new model Bose recently released so would be worth some research. 
When I purchased mine, Video Pro’s sale price was about $100 cheaper than JB’s sale price.  Happy customer.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 03:24:24 PM »
Cheers guys, I’ll see if I can find some of those Bose and Sony units in stock somewhere around here and try them out.

I was pretty happy with the PXC550s that I tried on the other day.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 03:32:28 PM »
Pete, I also have a very old pair of Sennheiser PXC310 noise cancelling headphones but don't use them very often (mainly when flying as my AirPods don't have noise cancelling).

That said they have been a very very good. Even after 10 years the battery holds plenty of charge for the trips I do, mostly to NZ, these days.  My only complaint is they are an on ear type and  find they become uncomfortable after a few hours.  Other than that I would highly recommend Sennheiser quality wise.

Offline Mitch92

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »
I've got the same bose ones as the guys above. Charge lasts ages, awesome sound, and quite comfy. I can happily wear mine on flights here to the US/Canada the whole time with no issues
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:07:01 AM by Mitch92 »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 05:15:01 PM »
The only time I use headphones is on a plane, and only when doing a long haul.
I have gone back to using the cheapies the airlines provide because the over ear ones push my reading glasses into my head and become painful after a couple of hours.
I might have funny ears, but I even have trouble keeping them in as well.

I have hearing aids ( which I rarely use ), but it would be great if they had many functions like noise cancelling, bluetooth etc !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline EagleBoy

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 03:32:24 PM »
X eleventy for the BOSE QC, my ears are not small and these fit comfortably over them  ;D much better than the Sony equivalent.

They do get a little sweaty when the weathe warms up if you're not in the aircon.
2016 Amarok TDI420 Core
2015 Jayco Expanda 14.44-4

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Headphones
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »
I have to be honest and say I wouldn’t wear the bose qc35 for a run or to the gym, they are not made for that purpose, but for anything else they are excellent.
I believe Bose also make an in ear noise cancelling earbud for that purpose, however I have not tried them

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:17:46 PM by lloydus67 »

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 07:46:26 PM »
I missed out the Bose for $309 cyber Monday sale this morning.
But even though there’s literally 12,000 good reviews for them online, I still wasn’t prepared to fork out that kind of money without at least sticking them on my big melon first... ;)

No intention of using these for running or the gym, just for assisting with my premature hearing loss from hours and hours of great music played a bit too loud.... ;D

Offline Anakist

• Swag User
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »
Headphones.com.au

You are probably looking for supraaural (IIRC). Sit on the head outside the ears, rather than sitting on your ears and crushing them against your head.

If you don't mind looking like a bit of dork, check out the Tactix earmuff headset thing for $69 from Bunnings. Earmuffs are designed to be worn all day and I used a set for 12h shifts with less discomfort than a lot of other muffs I have worn. If you have a decent source they will work as passive speakers even though they have an active amp inside.

Hmm. price rise. $75 now.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-bluetooth-earmuffs_p5810828

James

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Headphones
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »
Headphones.com.au

You are probably looking for supraaural (IIRC). Sit on the head outside the ears, rather than sitting on your ears and crushing them against your head.

James

Huge thanks for pointing me to this website mate!
That’s exactly the sort of store/site I was looking for and got me looking in the right places.

You’re exactly right, I was looking for the Circumaural over ear headphones.
But I wasn’t really looking for a ‘consumer’ style headphone. What I’ve now learnt is I had been looking for an ‘audiophile’ style headphone.

I sit and work for anywhere up to 18 hours a day by myself in a fully insulated little office that I built in my shed.
I listen to a huge variety of music throughout the day, I find that I’m far more productive with tunes on.
The headphones go on and off during normal hours, but once the phone stops ringing in the afternoon I generally have the tunes going for around 8 hours straight and smash out heaps of work.

Seeing as it’s only me and the dog in my little office and I really wanted the full listening experience, plus the fact that I don’t need to travel with them, it means I can go with an open backed style.
After reading and watching a bunch of beginners audiophile stuff it’s pretty clear these are the style I’ve actually been looking for the whole time.

All of the reviews say the Sennheiser HD600 are the benchmark of open back/over ear headphones, but these units are way out of my budget.

So I’ve been looking at more budget friendly entry level units and just ordered a set of HD599 at a good discount.
I was super happy with the fit and comfort of the PXC550s that I tried on and by all reports the HD599s are even lighter and more comfortable for long hours of wearing.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. :cheers:

Offline Anakist

• Swag User
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
Sweet.

I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 way back in the mid noughties for way outside my budget at the time, and they have kept rocking on and are amazing. Long periods are no good because they are monitor headphones so have good isolation and closed back and my ears get sweaty. Good headphones are amazing!

I will warn you that it makes bad headphones intolerable though. I have had to buy nice in ears for listening on buses and the like and if I forget them it is just better to not listen to music for that swing rather than buy a set of cheapies that I will hate. And don't even get me started on the headphones provided with phones!

Enjoy! And get ready for years of pleasure.

James

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 10:28:57 AM »
Sony WH-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones $304.20 Delivered @ Sony eBay (Box Damaged, 100 in Stock)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283692842914
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home