Author Topic: Changeing to a Camper trailer  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Dibdab

• Learning the Ropes
Changeing to a Camper trailer
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
Hi All,
       I have been a caravanner for a number of years now and have travelled the black top in all states except WA & NT. The time has now arrived where I would like to go to areas that my van is not capable off travelling, therefore I have decided to sell the van and buy a camper trailer.
       After researching the subject for a number of months now I have concluded that a rearfold hard floor trailer would be the most suited for the needs of my good lady and myself. So far I have actually viewed 3 brands plus received brochures from 5 or 6 other manufactureers and now I have joined this forum to gleen as much info I can before I sell my caravan and buy our camper trailer.
        Any info good or bad about various brands would be gratefully received.
        Thanks in advance,
         Dibdab.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Changeing to a Camper trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:34:04 PM »
Search on Dibdab...........
There are heaps of models on here so search away and ask questions. Most are more than happy to help.

What brand / model are you thinking of?

Cheers Nomad.  :cheers:

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum  Dibdab, Think you should find a wealth of information, advice and experiances, to help you decide whats right for you ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

nbd73

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:53:47 PM »
What about a half way step like AOR or cub? Cub  cheaper with less fruit.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 07:41:06 AM »
l have a Cub works well , in camp & transit . You might go perloved as there are mods already happening  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Discoduck

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »
Welcome Dibdab. Funny thing, I'm planning on doing same thing as you. Do like the convenience of van when stopping for a cuppa away from flies, rain or whatever. But you're right, there are many places you can't take the van. Have you thought about a "cross-over" type? I know they can be big $$$. Friend of mine has just bought a Desert Sky van; looks like the goods and not overly heavy (for the smaller ones). Something to confuse you with :laugh:
Anyway, keep us all up to date with whatever you do. All the best.
Nissan Patrol GU 4.2TD
Trakmaster Nullarbor, Air suspension

Offline Dibdab

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »
My thoughts are that if I am going to make a change I do not want to do a cross over or a small offroad van. One of the reasons is that I want to carry my 3.75 tinnie on the camper instead of the tug. Some places I plan on going to there will not be any fresh water available to wash the boat down before putting on the tug which can be the start of a rust problem.
Smoko and lunch should not be to much of a problem. When we first began travelling with a station wagon the wife use to make up a thermos and  fresh bread rolls each morning before taking off.
Even though a van can be more comfitable the wife and I are looking forward to a new way travelling and camping, I am sure we will soon learn all the tricks and ways of making life comfortable.
r
Regards Dibdab.

nbd73

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »
Hmm, models that carry a tinny on top are usually side fold soft floor, though I guess you could adapt a system to suita rear fold hard floor, I just haven't seen any myself. Your situation is ironic as the mrs and I can actually see ourselves going for a full size van once the kids are off our hands.
But as you say there are many tight spots thata full size van has trouble with, and in our experience these spots are more often than not the holiday caravan park rather than the bush.
One thing that will be a revelation is the reduced weight hence reduced full use + ability to actually sray at speed limit up hills and even overtake. Good luck with the search.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:04:10 AM »
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
G'day mate, And welcome  :cup:

I have had a good look at the boat rack on the Forward fold ecomate (traveller) for you, and I really don't see why something like this can't be adapted for any rear fold?

Provided the supports underneath are strong enough, you should be fine. I think either a rear fold or a forward fold would be fine for you, a 3.75m boat is more than acceptable for a boat rack.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline IanC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
Hi Dibdab

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of info here for you.  Personally we have a Kimberley Kamper (1999) model.  It came with a boat loader/marine pack which swings over the side to open the tent.  We had to do a little to it to bring it up to 2014, batteries, solar etc.  End result is we have a well built camper trailer that has been updated to suit us perfectly and hasn't cost the earth.

The biggest plus for us is that the KK has the rear access door.  It is amazing how many times we access the under bed storage area with the camper closed. 

Good luck with your search.
2008 Cruiser - "Guzzles"
2015 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline Dibdab

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
Whilst doing my research I spoke to a couple manufactures who stated that they were in the process of designing a side boat loader for their rear fold hard floors. As a matter of fact some time back I came across an article in a CT mag about a hard floor that had a side fold boat loader. The photos showed the boat in both loaded and unloaded positions.
When I finally make my short list the boat loader will be one off number of questions that  will be asked in writing.
Regards Dibdab.

Offline Doug.b

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dislike keyboard Heroes
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Dibdab

You could for one of these http://www.adventurecampers.com.au/ which can carry a tinny and out board motor.
They have stopped making them now but you can find secondhand ones around which have every thing on them.
I have one and reckon they are the best camper around.

All the best with your decision.

Doug
2012 PAJERO VRX  - Adventure offroad camper  - Cape York 
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35363.0

Offline Andreweasty90

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 07:53:23 AM »
Pretty sure Aussie swag do a boat loader on the ultra max

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
Hi All,
       I have been a caravanner for a number of years now and have travelled the black top in all states except WA & NT. The time has now arrived where I would like to go to areas that my van is not capable off travelling, therefore I have decided to sell the van and buy a camper trailer.

There comes a time when minimalism becomes attractive once more. Not for the reasons of poverty as when we are young, but for simplicity and robustness and fitness for purpose.

I think that your decision has considerable merit for the reasons you have made it ...  ;D .

After researching the subject for a number of months now I have concluded that a rearfold hard floor trailer would be the most suited for the needs of my good lady and myself. So far I have actually viewed 3 brands plus received brochures from 5 or 6 other manufactureers and now I have joined this forum to gleen as much info I can before I sell my caravan and buy our camper trailer.

IME, research and contemplation of needs and wants are the hardest parts of doing all this.

All the best in your hunt.

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 07:30:46 AM »
Welcome and best of luck with your search, my FIL has a KK with a side fold boat lifter which works for up to 4.0 m boats.  which they use when they go to 7 emus every year, great bit of kit and is easy for them to use, he has bung shoulders from work but can still get the boat on and off .

I believe most would have something similar.. 

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:32:23 AM by Garfish »
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Dibdab

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
Thanks to all that have welcomed me to the forum and for supplying your thoughts and opinions. As I am still researching and seeking further information on CT`s I will post my questions on either the technical or general sections.
Regards Dibdab.