Author Topic: CT's under $10k  (Read 5957 times)

Offline TheWilsons

• Learning the Ropes
CT's under $10k
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
Hi all, we're new to this forum. Have been researching campers as we're planning on selling the pop top. Any suggestions for something good for under $10k, not the el-cheapo imported stuff? Thanks

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
Re: CT's under $10k
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:26:29 PM »
Something second hand that someone else has modded and improved.  You can sometimes see campers that include camping gear such as solar panels, cookware, cutlery, working battery systems, chargers, inverters, generators etc.
Make sure you do your research as sometimes people sell their campers for more than what they originally paid for; but there are a lot of bargains out there especially in the big cities.

Me and the Mrs have looked at approx 100 camper trailers at shows in Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns and local manufactures. I reckon we have looked at 100's online and on gumtree etc.

Anyway; welcome to the forum.  I am a newcomer as well.  Muz

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
We have just bout the budget version of the MDC and i have been suprised at the quality for $4500 includind extras (tropical roof and innerspring). I found the tent (imported) to be well made and looks durable, we had some solid rain over the Easter weekend with no problems.
The trailers are made in Brisbane and again, i have been all over it and can't fault it for the price.
I have had other campers in the past and have found this one to be as good as any.

Sent from my Vox using Tapatalk 2

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »

The trailers are made in Brisbane and again, i have been all over it and can't fault it for the price.
I have had other campers in the past and have found this one to be as good as any.

I think you will find the MDC trailers are all made in China.  MDC bolt them together.  There are a lot of Camper sellers that say they are Ozzie made but they are really fully imported from China. 

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
About 20 in the trader section that will suit you down to the ground.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Just some guy

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:00:34 PM »
Yep - go second hand.  They are so difficult to sell because of all the cheap new ones available that you can get a great deal and make someone trying to sell the camper trailer very happy - everyone wins!
Please keep in mind - I'm just some guy.  I don't know nothin about nothin!

Offline fridayman

• Tent User
    • TRIP TALES
CT's under $10k
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
I got my Customline pre-loved and modified on this forum, spent a few more $ on it (under $10k in total) and we are very happy with it.

Offline TheWilsons

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
Thanks everyone, I've been thinking the same about second hand models and would rather spend on a secon hand good quality rather than a not so good new one. Having said that,anyone know much about the Leisure Matters campers?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »
I think this might help - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=25170.0 - Check out Pinnacle while you're looking ... Mandrake
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »
Leisure Matters Also made in China.  Don't get me wrong; After all of the research the Mrs and I have done, we are buying a China import hardfloor.  When this arrives later this month I will be inspecting it with a fine tooth comb.  I fully expect some problems but we have budgeted an extra $2k for fixups to get this trailer up to our standard.  If it costs more than $2k than I will either spend more or sell it and buy second hand CC.

1.  Inspect all welds, joins and structure and repair/upgrade.
2.  Remove chinese copy treg hitch and replace with treg hitch
3.  Change hubs from 15" landcruza 6 stud to 16" cruza 5 stud.
4.  Bash plate for underneath to protect water tank and pump etc.
5.  Remove 4 shockies from ind suspension and replace with foam cells.
6.  Hopefully there won't be a 6 but if there is fix it.

The above is Leisure Matters $14K

The above is Market direct Voyager  $16K although it comes with a no-name 12v fridge, inverter and deep cycle battery.

The above is a Brumby.  (What we have ordered) $ 8900 but I paid an extra $450 to get it fitted with the inderpendant suspension option.  Ours will be black.  the same colour as the Leisure matters one above.  If you are wondering why they look similar it is because they are all the same trailer.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:25:10 PM by muzza01 »

Offline TheWilsons

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
Ok thanks for the info. Will be checking them all out later this month at the Sydney Supershow. We're also very interested in Adventure Camper trailers in Melbourne but they wont be at the Supershow.

Enjoy your new camper, looks very cool!

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
Yeah hopefully it will all work out.  Good luck at the Supershow.  The Mrs and I went there a couple of times.  Good luck with your research and I hope you have some success.  Have a look at Gumtree classifieds.  There is hours of viewing for you.   Good luck mate.

Offline sanz

• Swag User
    • Getting Lost in Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »
We are in the same situation. Currently looking at a second hand WA made heavy duty trailer that I've seen up close ... the build quality is solid and the custom canvas is in great nick. Great thing is the previous owners have done most of the modifications we have on our list of things we think we'll need. The price is in our range as well which is even better ;-) Anyway good luck with the search.
09 3L TD Patrol + EasyCamper.

Getting Lost in Australia
http://www.facebook.com/GettingLostAU

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
Hi and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline njmiff

• Learning the Ropes
CT's under $10k
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »
My family is in the same position. After embarking on what seems never ending research we have found Aussie Jays in Victoria to be quite competitive. I am yet to see a build in the flesh but will be flying down next month to do so. At this point I am yet to find anything negative about the product. Something you may wish to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 01:17:18 PM »
G'day & Welcome, and good luck in your search.

I'm a strong advocate for a 2nd hand Australian camper, there are several fine examples on here now.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »
Quote from: BigJulesI'm a strong advocate for a 2nd hand Australian camper, there are several fine examples on here now.[/quote
wise man.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paj880

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 08:30:13 PM »
Good luck with the hunt. Check out Lifestyle camper trailers walkthru for around $8k. Aussie trailer with imported canvas. They should be at the show. We have had the dearer Extenda with Aussie canvas for over two years now and couldn't be happier.
Regards
Darren
2011 Pajero RX with Coopers and 2010 Lifestyle Extenda with mods. Work gets in the way