Author Topic: G'day from FNQ  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Joffa

• Learning the Ropes
G'day from FNQ
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »
Hi all, we are both totally new to CT camping,after trying out tent camping,SWMBO  :angel: has decided we need more comfort in our dotage. We have been following the Forum for a few months now,and have realised that there is so much for us to learn. We have decided to buy a CT but which one is the big Q. One that we think ticks most of our boxes is the MDC off-road step through.  Has any body got one and what are your thoughts?

Hope this post is ok as it is my second one and not too good on the computer.

Joffa & SWMBO

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: G'day from FNQ
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »
Welcome Joffa, another FNQ  member, you also can put you name down on our FNQ members list here.
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=10992.0

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
G'day Joffa and SWMBO
Welcome to the forum. ;D
Nice part of the country you're from too :cup:

:cheers: sol
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

bunyip

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »
Joffa,

Welcome to the madhouse, remember always post pics :D

Friendliest place on the web that I know of on the web.

Bunyip

Offline Biscuits

• Swag User
  • More camping - less working - my quest continues..
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 10:18:15 PM »
G'day Joffa/SWMBO
Welcome to the forum,
I personally found this forum a brilliant resource when I was in a similar situation to yourself. There are lots of things to consider when choosing the right CT that will be right for you and your needs, the information I gatherered here from other members assisted me all the way up to the last step being a purchase. I actually found our CT here in the CT Classifieds which was a great deal.
Since then, I have been using the forum to ask questions and research product etc to make our camp experience a little more enjoyable every time.
You will certainly feel the luxury moving up from a tent, we did! I call it the evolution.. (and still evolving!!)

The MDC CT you mentioned seem to be a popular product. My mother-in/ outlaw and some friends have just purchased one each and are about to embark on a trip to the Cape, so I will have some good info on how they hold up in what will be ( from what I have been told) some "interesting" roads ahead.

As jclures mentioned, there is quite a few of us in the FNQ area ( I am in Cairns) so I hope to see you out there soon enough!!
 :cheers:

Offline Biscuits

• Swag User
  • More camping - less working - my quest continues..
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
I actually found our CT here in the CT Classifieds which was a great deal.

I must add the discovery of our CT would not have come about without a hot tip from friend and fellow swagger Teabags, - onya mate!!!

Offline aquadux

• Swag User
  • It's great to be outdoors
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:50:22 AM »
Hi

a tough time ahead choosing the right ct. 

Plenty of information available

Good luck

Richard
Toyota Prado diesel
Jayco Discovery

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:18:54 AM »
G'day Joffa,

To Myswag,
Plenty of great info here to help and if your unsure, just ask.
Hope you enjoy your time here.
Happy & Safe travels.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »

Welcome to the forum. Great to see another FNQ member.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »
Joffa if you are interested in meeting other myswag members you might be interested in this get together, I think teabag is tenting so you wouldn't be the only one without a camper.

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=23939.0

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »
G'day Joffa,

Welcome to the site, you'll find plenty of info on here..... Sorry mate can't offer any info on the MDC unit, have never seen one in the flesh.

Be sure to check the classifieds on here, some great buys come up from time to time, ..... What sort of budget do you have in mind?

Catch ya later!

Barrabart
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
Hi Joffa and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
Howdy

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 04:50:46 PM »
 :D Welcome there Joffa.  If you have looked at the list you'll see there is definitely a few of us about.
Have you toured your local area much, we've been knocking around/through Black Mtn, Mt Lewis a bit lately, nice to get out of suburbia now and then.... or when ever possible.
 :cheers: Paul
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 09:43:03 PM »
Hi all, we are both totally new to CT camping,after trying out tent camping,SWMBO  :angel: has decided we need more comfort in our dotage. We have been following the Forum for a few months now,and have realised that there is so much for us to learn. We have decided to buy a CT but which one is the big Q. One that we think ticks most of our boxes is the MDC off-road step through.  Has any body got one and what are your thoughts?

Hope this post is ok as it is my second one and not too good on the computer.

Joffa & SWMBO

Mate - about two weeks ago there was an MDC trailer parked outside the Smithfield Tavern in the car park, it was up for a raffle. It was the basic model but it gives you an idea of quality.

Offline steve sh

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »
Joffa,
I'm new to this forum as well and joined to glean some info on the camper trailer scene.
I'm also currently looking to buy the MDC off road step through.  I've been trawling the internet now for nearly 2 weeks trying to find something that suits my needs, as in the step through which I think is an absolute fabulous idea for us older folk to get in and out of bed.  I'm from Mackay and have never seen an MDC trailer in the flesh but I would love to before committing to buying one.  I'm contemplating driving to Brisy to have a look but I would like to avoid that effort if possible.  I'm keen to find someone in my area that has one which I could have a look at but so far no go.
Steve

Offline Joffa

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum Steve.  I'm sure you'll get lots of info here. I know we did, & we are still learning.
We have learnt so much, that we are rather confused about which one to settle on. They all look good on paper & on the internet, but then I read in here & elsewhere an adverse report and it's back to the drawing board.
At the moment we're  thinking between the Customline Off Road Walkup V3 and the Vacation Passage. But we have yet to see one in the flesh.
It may be a lovely place to live up here in FNQ but we are are at severe disadvantage when it comes to buying things.
Goodluck in your search, and keep us informed of your progress.
joffa

Offline steve sh

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »
Joffa,
Yes I know what you are saying.  I moved away from the MDC to the Customline myself.  Also looking seriously at the Lifestyle Extenda Elite.  At this stage I reckon you can't go wrong with these, cost a bit more but probably worth it in the long run.  I figure I will probably buy one in the next week.  Ian from Customline and Darren from Lifestyle are both very good to deal with, unlike some others.
Steve

Offline asmithaxe

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
Hey Joffa,

I should be receiving my Vacation Campers Passage in the next couple of weeks if you happen to be near Townsville in your travels and want to take a look.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Offline Joffa

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »
G'day Aarron
I was talking to Kim in the office and she said that there was one coming north in a couple of weeks, and that they have yet to sell one up here,apart from yours,it being a new model.
We would love to look at yours(C/T that is). If you could PM me (because I don't know how to do that) and I could pass on our contact details.
We are just up the road from you, about 1 1/2 hours north of Cairns.
We have narrowed our search down to two, Customline Walkup & Vacation Passage with Passage being the favourite.

Thanks
joffa

Offline steve sh

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »

Hey Joffa,

I should be receiving my Vacation Campers Passage in the next couple of weeks if you happen to be near Townsville in your travels and want to take a look.

Cheers,
Aaron.
[/quote]

Aaron,
You've obviously got your Vacation Passage by now.  I'm also looking at one myself.  How is it all?
Steve

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
Hi Joffa and welcome to My Swag, My user name is duggie and I come from up on the Atherton Tablelands. Up here in North Queensland there is a fair crew of Myswaggers and we as a group try to have a get-together a couple of times each year.

Jclures has allready mentioned theses links but I thought I would chuck them in again

Next one coming up on the first weekend of Dec, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=25041.0

I have pasted another a link from this forum for you to have a look at and if interested.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10992.0

Cheers and again welcome duggie.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline asmithaxe

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
Aaron,
You've obviously got your Vacation Passage by now.  I'm also looking at one myself.  How is it all?
Steve

Sorry Steve, I didn't see your response.  The current schedule is that it will leave the factory on 1-Nov.

A.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »
G'day & Welcome.

If you're new to campers I'd recommend hiring one or two before buying, or hitting up the dealer for a loaner so you can get a feel for how it works when you're putting it up.

There aren't any wrong choices, and so many folks buy a camper, use it for a year or two then with more experience look at modding or changing to meet their needs.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails