Author Topic: Did someone mention new??  (Read 7511 times)

Offline Crosslander

• Tent User
Did someone mention new??
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
Hi all.

Now that I have made the stupid mistake of mentioning 'cheap' and 'fridge' in my first post on here ( http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=13138.0 ) thought I should make a formal introduction to myself.

Used to camp a lot as a kid (and when I say camp - looking back it wasn't really.... tent in a caravan park during school holidays).

In recent times wife and I and 2 little rugrats (now 6 & 8.) have been camping regularly in (mostly) local National Parks - primarily Point Plomer near Crescent Head.... for those that are ever near there and haven't been.... do yourselves a favour...

Aaaaaaanyway.... we did the tent ----> old wind up camper ----> old pop top ----> newish swan ---> newish windsor rapid ----> financial issues ----> tent thing  ;D

After a recent change in marital status have found the need to find a few more interests in life. Have sort of rediscovered fishing and have thought about getting a easy set up and pack up camper for weekend trips away (with and without kids) - Hard top camper being my preferred choice.

HOWEVER because of the a fore mentioned financial issues and change in marital status I am in no way in a position to spend the sort of money required to score (even a decent 2nd hand) any of the preferred models on this forum.

As a result I have been looking at the cheap chinese imports available on eBay that can be had for around $8k. Before you all howl the idea down please be aware I am not likely (in the near future although will like to when I find my feet a bit) be doing anything more than short (mainly tarred) trips to close by camp grounds.

Would love to hear some opinions as to whether for that sort of light work travel these cheap campers are reasonable value or not.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:16:49 AM by Mark@Port »

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
Re: Did someone mention new??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
welcome mate - great first topic.

a few years ago we were in the same situation at yourself.. we could spend about that on a new chinese, or spends a few thousand more on 2nd hand stronger model. We chose the second hand model and have never looked back. i know you say you won't need it now, but you may in the future and for a couple of thousand more you can probably get a good model that will last.

the canvas quality is probably better, the build quality better and these little things will mean you have a happy camp every time.

i have to plug my camper as an example !! --> http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=13071.0

dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
Gday Mark Welcome to the Forum mate  :cheers:

Sounds like you have had some adventures along the way, look forward to reading what you decide on and im sure there is plenty of info on here to help you make your decision.
Personally id rather look for a good second hand well known brand than a cheap chinese one.
There are some really good deals that pop up from time to time  :cheers:

Cheers BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »
G'day Mark and welcome to Myswag. I hope you find something that suits your needs. :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Mark, check out the classifieds and the other second hand markets, you may find something that has all the goods and quality canvas that will suit your needs, good luck on the adventure

GG

Offline Crosslander

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »
Cheers guys.

Silvo i saw you listing but I really think I am going to need a hard top simply because I will be doing the bulk of setups and pack downs by myself. Nice looking rig though.

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:56:33 AM »
Welcome to myswag Mark. If you research enough you may change your mind, there are quite a few posts on here were people were having some trouble closing hard tops. Not imposable, but can be difficult i have one myself.  There is plenty of reference to one person setup you just have to search a little, anyway I'd buy a secondhand locally built one before a Chinese new one, just my 2c worth.
Good luck. dno  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:15:31 PM by dno »
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline davo69 and the Nurse

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • '07 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
Welcome to MySwag Mark!

Have a look in the classifieds section on the forum for good quality second hand campers that meet your price range.
There is also an auction for a Trackabout camper trailer if you're interested.
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=12791.0

the Nurse
get DIRTY

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:10:51 PM »
8K will get you one of these

http://www.xtrailcampers.com/xtrail_camper_trailer_package_Xplorer_STD_DLX.php

have a look at my post to see how good their construction is

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=8021.0

Sorry to hear about your marital status.

HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
"Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »
Cheers guys.

Silvo i saw you listing but I really think I am going to need a hard top simply because I will be doing the bulk of setups and pack downs by myself. Nice looking rig though.

thanks, i think you'd be hard pressed to find any sort of quality in a hard floor for that money.

i setup and pack mine by myself. setup is quite easy.. pack up is a little harder, but 5-10 minutes for each. the annex starts to get stricky, not impossible, just easier with two people.

dan

Offline Crosslander

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
thanks, i think you'd be hard pressed to find any sort of quality in a hard floor for that money.

Yes I know - hence the question on the eBAy jobbies.... I know they are'nt the bees knees and definately not for outback use..... interestingly I havent really ever seen anyone (not just in this thread) post what appears to be from first hand experience..... it seems more a generic Aussie is better than Chinese (and I'm not debating that) but I guess what I am trying to find out is that at half the price or more are they half the camper for doing light weekend away trips?

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
a friend of mine has a cheaper built model. it is debatable if it is a chinese build or not.

the thing is starting to fade in the canvas work and in the tent cover, becoming brittle and just plain falling apart in some areas. the stitching is coming undone through a lot of the tent sections that get the wear.

the body of the trailer itself is showing surface rust and worn areas are appearing through the paint work.

it came without grommets through the body work for wiring and little things like that.

they only use it a few times a year and this is how it has lasted, at this rate, they will have to replace parts by the end of the year, and if it get used more often, i think possibly sooner.

dan

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
Welcome to myswag Mark!

Good luck on your search for a suitable camper. My neighbour bought a camper off ebay from a mob that churns them out in Melbourne. We had a look at it before we bought ours and decided it wasn't for us. The neighbour has since sold it without even using it as he decided it was too hard to put up and needed plenty of work done to it. So I guess I'm with the majority here and believe you're better to buy second hand if you can find a reputable brand in your price range.

:cheers: Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »
Hi Mark,

Welcome to myswag.  Hope you find what you are looking for.  I personally don't think it matters what you buy ebay/aussie as long as it gets you out there and you enjoy it.

Cheers

Annette

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »
Especially if you are going to pack it up yourself.....DON'T buy one sight unseen..

There are numerous soft floors out there that are easily packed up by one person......I used to have an old Dingo that went around Australia and I packed it up every morning ( while the missus fed and dressed the kids ) and it probably wasn't an easy C/T to pack up, but was OK after you knew the easier ways to do it ..

Get along to the Maitland show in May if you can and check ( and pack ) a few up......you'll be surprised how many reasonably priced trailers there are out there ( new and second hand )
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 02:43:59 PM »
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. Another area to consider when making the decision is how much the new Chinese one will be worth when you decide to upgrade. I think the little money you save now you will loose then compared to a 2nd hand Aussie one.

Trevor

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »
Hmmmm a lot of rich people on here Mark.. ;D
Mate go with what you can aford.. you can find a fair chinese nock of out there in ebay land, and if your not living in the dam thing who cares if its got no "Bling".. as long as it keeps you dry,warm and comfy..
Mines a Cheapie chinese soft floor.. and it works for me,, it owes me around $3500 all up... so if it sits in the driveway all year i dont care, better than having 10+ sitting there..

BHG tite arse and proud of it.  :cup: :cheers: 8)

Poverty Pack.!

Offline Old Croc + plus one

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
Hi mark
Welcome to My Swag it might pay you to take your time chosing a camper and check them out, good ones come up from time to time you might find there is not too much special in the special fried rice ones as others have said on the forum
Happy Trails

Ford Ranger 2006

Offline ausmarvin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
Welcome to Myswag

I agree with all comments above...

there are a lot of Aussie campers you can get for the 8k mark
We were lucky to get a basic onroad rear fold camper with awning and walls for under that from best trailers and Camping Country at Maroochydore. Its easierly setup by one person, and very quick of your doing a tour and you can just fold it out tighten 2 screws and climb into bed if you want.

Its been great and had no problem getting to where we have been going.. thou looking at either replacing the trailer suspension or upgrading the lot.
2007 VRX Pajero, ARB Bullbar, Thule Roofracks-Hullavator-JBar
Lifestyle Icon - Independent suspension, DO35 hitch

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »
Hi Mark and welcome to My Swag, it doesnt matter what CT you get as long as it suits your needs and gets you out there and having some fun :cheers:

Have a good look over whatever you consider buying, some of the budget CT's will suit your needs.
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline squirell

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »
Hi Mark,

I/we bought a cheap Chinese C/T last year and love it. Cost us just under 7K over the counter, but you can get it on EBay for about 5.5K. You buy what your budget allows and fills your needs. By the way, welcome and hope it all works out.

Squirell/Graeme
Just spendin' the kids inheritence !!

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »
Like allready said being a swag a tent a soft floor hard floor a Chinese or Aussie brand as long as it gets you out there

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 02:38:02 PM »
G'day & Welcome Mark.

We'd love to call you neighbour some day, keen to get up your way.

I bought my camper second hand on Trading Post, and it's been fantastic. I had been looking for a long time, and knew my way around (even if I do say so myself). There are some fantastic 2nd hand campers available at really good prices.

Please, don't go cheap Chinese, you'll regret it, especially in terms of ease of setup. My BIL has a cheapie, but hates to use it because it's so damn hard to put up, put away etc.

Why don't you post up some examples of campers you're looking at, and members can give you some feedback (Probably best to provide feedback through PM so as not to upset anyone).
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »
After a recent change in marital status

Don't want to get too personal, but what does this mean?  Surely you are either married or you're not, and by the sound of it you've been married for some time and still are.

Oh, and a good second-hand unit is usually much better than a cheap new unit at the same price, as long as it's been maintained properly.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
Mark I bought a cheap Chinese camper sight unseen from ebay once. It was brand new, huge tent, but it was so hard to set up I had a mutiny on my hands( ie SWMBO)

Bit the bullet and bought the best on the market (like Pipeliner) but I realise you are in a different phase of life than me.
Ease of use is more important than new, believe me.

cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum