Author Topic: Any Sparkies out there  (Read 15879 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Any Sparkies out there
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 12:07:04 AM »
The bloke you work with can be fined if he is found to be doing electrical work
hes running wires, hes not doing any electrical work. guess we all better stop changing tyres when they are flat too.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline bruce93

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 08:35:07 AM »
hes running wires, hes not doing any electrical work. guess we all better stop changing tyres when they are flat too.
Bird even to run wires you need to be an electrician. Went to a job and cables had already been run by workers of the company. Spoke to ESV and they said it is illegal for anyone who isnt an electrician or electrical apprentice to run cables

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »
Is he running to correctly?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
Being a mechanic by trade i could only dream of the automotive industry being as regulated as the electrical and plumbing trades, imagining the money that i would have made if it was illegal for owners to work on their vehicles, oh well dream on macca.
 Thats why i got out of the trade and went into machinery maintenance and installation.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
Bird even to run wires you need to be an electrician. Went to a job and cables had already been run by workers of the company. Spoke to ESV and they said it is illegal for anyone who isnt an electrician or electrical apprentice to run cables

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Well if that is the case then they should make it illegal for domestic guys to work on commercial stuff. Not so long ago i was installing a new machine beside a frustrated  and rather vocal electrician working on an existing machine that was faulty, as i walked passed him, looking over his shoulder i could see a TOL out and politely said to him "its probably popped a TOL mate" he replied "what you talking about old man" , gob smacked, i handed him my phone and replied " google is your friend, you should understand that mate"

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2018, 10:26:04 AM »
Well if that is the case then they should make it illegal for domestic guys to work on commercial stuff. Not so long ago i was installing a new machine beside a frustrated  and rather vocal electrician working on an existing machine that was faulty, as i walked passed him, looking over his shoulder i could see a TOL out and politely said to him "its probably popped a TOL mate" he replied "what you talking about old man" , gob smacked, i handed him my phone and replied " google is your friend, you should understand that mate"

Is there such things as domestic and commercial or industrial electricians? I do all types of electrical work, which category do i fit in?
If its out of their league or experience, don't touch it or pretend to know what you are doing, or if they are trying to learn and get more experience in different aspects then that is great, learn away.
But i do know what you are saying, i have had industrial only workers ask me how to wire a two way, now that is very concerning.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »
I was a Telstra techy for near on 30 years.  Allowing electricians to run the comms cable was the biggest joke .  A few good ones out there but most were rip-tear merchants that were after a quick buck and really had no idea on seperation and comms regulations. I have a good sparky I use and happy for him to charge his rate. I consider his rate is on the high side BUT I have confidence in his team and their work ethics.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »

If you can't see the difference between electrical work and changing tyres the call the RACV next time you get a flat.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 12:57:56 PM »
If you can't see the difference between electrical work and changing tyres the call the RACV next time you get a flat.
If the automotive trade was regulated to the level that the electrical trade is then you would probably have to

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »
So should we de-regulate the electrical industry and open it up to every DIYer ?

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »
So should we de-regulate the electrical industry and open it up to every DIYer ?
No, no, regulate the automotive industry
Its been done in other countries to some extent and if you go and stand in the electrical aisle at Bunnings i think you will soon seen its already happening here.
Seriously though i believe there still needs to be regulation but in some areas it could be relaxed a bit.
 I went and got an electrical disconnect/reconnect licence (dunno what their called now) years ago what a waste of time that was.
Anyway i know I'm never going to win this argument, i took my trailer build to my canvas guy yesterday and for the first weekend in two and half years i have nothing to do and am spending too much time on here, so I'll bow out now

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »
I don't know why there isn't more control in that industry but what is it you control and how would it be policed. Even if it was every 2nd guy out there is a DIY mechanic.

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2018, 02:07:08 PM »
Inside trade tip. My BIL is a Sparkei by trade and I've helped him out on some jobs doing some labouring for him in exchange for work to my place.

He will pay $25 for a wall switch, then invoice you $50....
He will pay $15 dollars a metre for cabling, then charge you 40 a metre.....
Throw in labour at $145 an hour......

See where m going 😉

You can save bulk coin if you purchase your own gear, won't be trade rates, but it would be cheaper than what a Sparkie will charge you.

Your BIL sounds like a crook   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »
I don't know why there isn't more control in that industry but what is it you control and how would it be policed. Even if it was every 2nd guy out there is a DIY mechanic.
Thats easy you guys have already made the template, ban everything then instill into every registered mechanic that their wives and kids will starve if you let anybody change that.
Said with tounge firmly implanted in cheek, and im definitely finished this time, sorry

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:30:07 PM by macca »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »

i have had industrial only workers ask me how to wire a two way, now that is very concerning.

I worked in coal mines all my life, and although I do know how to wire a 2 way, it's not something I've ever needed to do.
Same as a house lecco wouldn't have a clue how to troubleshoot on machines that you aren't allowed to work on live..

BTW, I'm an electrical fitter, not a qualified electrician, even though I have done an electrical supervisors tafe course...long story, too complicated to explain !!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:23:25 PM by gronk »
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
Just like most if not all trades you will have trade trained “tradesman” who aren’t worth a pinch of you know what and then also have others who don’t have trade training and have dabbled in a particular field who have better knowledge or skills than some licensed people.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2018, 06:28:47 PM »
Inside trade tip. My BIL is a Sparkei by trade and I've helped him out on some jobs doing some labouring for him in exchange for work to my place.

He will pay $25 for a wall switch, then invoice you $50....
He will pay $15 dollars a metre for cabling, then charge you 40 a metre.....
Throw in labour at $145 an hour......

See where m going 😉

You can save bulk coin if you purchase your own gear, won't be trade rates, but it would be cheaper than what a Sparkie will charge you.

Your BIL is talking out of his arse.  In reality he would get a double outlet for about $3 at trade price, and he charges you $7 at list price.  You get a piece of crap DETA outlet from Bunnings for $7 and think to yourself 'man I saved some money'.

I don't do contracting work, but if I did there is no way I would ever install customer supplied equipment.  Too much of a risk and I like to keep my licence.

Running 230V fixed wiring is electrical work.

Just like most if not all trades you will have trade trained “tradesman” who aren’t worth a pinch of you know what and then also have others who don’t have trade training and have dabbled in a particular field who have better knowledge or skills than some licensed people.

And that means.... stuff all.

Sure there are shonky's in any industry, the difference is that one is paid to do the work, and if it is sub standard then they are liable.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »
$3 for a double gpo, where? I will buy 1000

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
I worked in coal mines all my life, and although I do know how to wire a 2 way, it's not something I've ever needed to do.
Same as a house lecco wouldn't have a clue how to troubleshoot on machines that you aren't allowed to work on live..

BTW, I'm an electrical fitter, not a qualified electrician, even though I have done an electrical supervisors tafe course...long story, too complicated to explain !!
Trouble shooting on machinery that is not live vs wiring a two way, really aren't even a close comparison!
You learn how to do a 2 way in your first year of your apprenticeship.
But i do get what you are saying

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »
$3 for a double gpo, where? I will buy 1000

And when they catch fire, can I come quote to do it properly?

God I love DETA...……
It helps me sort the trash from the treasure in a glance.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »
!
You learn how to do a 2 way in your first year of your apprenticeship.

Would they teach you something that simple ??   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2018, 08:54:48 PM »
I was assuming they were Clipsal going by that he is a sparky

God I love DETA...……

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2018, 08:55:56 PM »
Gee I can't remember to be honest, i did mine a long time ago, think they just expect you to know
Would they teach you something that simple ??   ;D

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »
Gee I can't remember to be honest, i did mine a long time ago, think they just expect you to know

42 yrs ago for me.....I'm flat out remembering which tafe I went to ??   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2018, 07:06:49 AM »

God I love DETA...……
It’s not only the electrical aisle that’s a goldmine for proper tradesmen. I’ve lost count of the number of water damage claims I’ve been called to assess and at the source is a generic flick mixer with generic, recently split, flex lines, and the telltale Shitty tiling of a weekend warrior.
I was called to another ‘emergency’ where the ceilings had fallen in during a rain event. Turns out old mate had saved a few bob and installed his own skylight. Only problem was he overflashed the tiles above rather than underflashed and turned his loungeroom into a water feature - no insurance mate.
I’ve seen various home made efforts at electrical wiring as well and when I shut down your job a few years later when you want Reno’s done and call in the relevent authority to investigate I can guarantee it’s going to cost more than it would to do it properly in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:14:49 AM by GBC »