Author Topic: New, from Tassie.  (Read 8971 times)

Offline smithy120

• Learning the Ropes
New, from Tassie.
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
Hi all, just joined today.  Haven't spent any time on this forum before, so its going to take me a while to get the hang of things.

I have a wife and 3 kids (all girls), and we have started to do a bit of camping and 4wding  over the last year or so.  Our current set up is a Black Wolf Turbo 240 Plus tent, paired with a 2009 model 120 series Prado D4D, 6sp manual which I have been fitting out for touring over the past 12 months.  Got it Perry good now, I think.

Waiting for the weather to warm up here in Tassie so we can hit the tracks and get lost...

In the meantime, we are about to embark on a 5 week adventure from Tassie to Perth and back, via Ayers Rock and the GCR, coming home along the Nullabor.  Most of our time will be on the south coast of WA, which should be awesome.  Never done anything like this before, so will be a good test for our setup!
Smithy - 120 D4D Prado with some Enhancements, plus Black Wolf Turbo 240 Plus home away from home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: New, from Tassie.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
Welcome to myswag smithy, nice choice of tug :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
New, from Tassie.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »
Welcome fellow Tasweigan. Which part of the island are you from?
There's a bit of a get together happening next month if your still about the place. Great bunch of people even though some are unfortunate enough to own Nissans.
Hope to catch up at some stage

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
New, from Tassie.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »

nice choice of tug :)

Oh yeah...... That too :)

Offline smithy120

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
Devonport region.  Definitely keen to meet like minded people.around the traps.  We are away all October on the big trip...
Smithy - 120 D4D Prado with some Enhancements, plus Black Wolf Turbo 240 Plus home away from home

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
New, from Tassie.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:18:05 PM »
Devonport region.  Definitely keen to meet like minded people.around the traps.  We are away all October on the big trip...

Bugger... There'll be plenty more coming up. I think the first trip we all had together everyone was a bit worried as to whether we'd all get along, but after that we were more concerned about how well we actually did.
You wouldn't happen to be a member of a 4wd club over that way by any chance?
Or recently been on a trip with one of them?

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
New, from Tassie.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »
welcome to the group, plenty of inof about ya rig and to help you with getting or setting up ya camper..
or to help you build your own, lots of info on the forum..

plenty of information use the search function and if you cant find what you are looking for then feel free to ask by starting a new topic.

Carry on...
1993 80 series landcruiser

Offline smithy120

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
You wouldn't happen to be a member of a 4wd club over that way by any chance?
Or recently been on a trip with one of them?

No, the local 4wd club have bigger toys than mine, and knock them around more than i am willing at this stage.  I am happy to go offroad, i just want to get home again as well...  ;D

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
New, from Tassie.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »
No, the local 4wd club have bigger toys than mine, and knock them around more than i am willing at this stage.  I am happy to go offroad, i just want to get home again as well...  ;D

No worries I had just heard a story about a fella with one from over your way today, but thinking about it I reckon it was a V6. I totally agree with the knocking them around bit, I'd rather have a destination and if there's a good track to go with it then that's a bonus.

Offline McAbouts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 10:04:34 PM »
Welcome to this fantastic place full of info. Just got back from five days in Tassie. First time I've been and loved it though we did get a bit of rain. Only saw around the Launceston area as that was where my boy was running but managed to see a fair bit whilst there. Couldn't get over the size of some of the 4wd's we saw. Big tyres, outside the guards and raised to massive heights. Not sure they would be legal here.
Anyway it was just wonderful to finally see a bit of Tassie and get a taste for it.

Looking forward to pics of your travels.

Cheers
Louise :D
2002 Prado
2010 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

scarps

New, from Tassie.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 10:10:29 PM »
Welcome to the friendliest and most helpful camping forum. Enjoy

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
New, from Tassie.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 10:14:29 PM »

Couldn't get over the size of some of the 4wd's we saw. Big tyres, outside the guards and raised to massive heights. Not sure they would be legal here.

Cheers
Louise :D

I don't think they're legal he either ;)
I've got to admit that was one thing I first noticed when I moved here too

Offline smithy120

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 10:34:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys and gals... Looking forward to contributing...

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 12:35:48 AM »
G'day Smithy welcome to the forum.

You will find heaps of great info on here and hopefully meet a few like minded families along the way.
Your from the sunny end of the state so that's a good thing, but shame about your choice of vehicle ;)
Have fun on your trip and stay safe :)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
G'day Ben. Welcome to Myswag also. You will also find Fishfinder on here too. The state is not that big so we sort of cross populate between sites.

KingBilly

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like an awesome trip you have planned.  Don't forget to write a trip report and include heaps of photos.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Black-Pig

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Everything is Subject to change...
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
Hey Mate,
We are from Launceston, and heading back towards Melbs (On boat 5th Nov) from Perth now. Might see you on the road.
Cheers
James
Oh my dad has a 120 fitted out for touring, nice car (180ltr tank as standard is a bonus!)
05 SR5 Hilux  - With Fruit...
2012 Outback Sturt - with some modifications

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 11:27:35 AM »
Hey Mate,
We are from Launceston, and heading back towards Melbs (On boat 5th Nov) from Perth now. Might see you on the road.
Cheers
James
Oh my dad has a 120 fitted out for touring, nice car (180ltr tank as standard is a bonus!)

Nearly home bugger! I have really enjoyed looking at your blog, I dont know how you have found time to update it while on the road though!
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline smithy120

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »
G'day Ben. Welcome to Myswag also. You will also find Fishfinder on here too. The state is not that big so we sort of cross populate between sites.

I caught up with Fishfinder on the weekend, and he suggested having a look at MySwag, so here I am...  :cheers:

Offline smithy120

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 12:17:57 PM »
Hey Mate,
Cheers
James

Sounds like I might overtake you James, even though I haven't started yet!  We will be back on the boat on 2 Nov, after having completed 4.5 weeks on the road.  Look out for a white 120 Prado with full kit and a pradopoint.com sticker on it...  :D

Offline speedhump

• Tent User
  • Going places ... others dream!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 05:16:16 PM »

Welcome Smithy
Speedhump
Speedhump
2013 triton 4WD dual cab
2016 New Age Wallaby Caravan
4.55m Makocraft runabout & Quintrex 350 cartopper
Our Blog: chezzastravels.wordpress.com

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
giday Smithy120 and welcome was good to catch up to have a chat over a few ales and offer a few tips about your plans on your trip over to WA . Marcus73 is the wise one that I mentioned he just purchased a Prado - I will have a chat with him in a few weeks over some other plans we have in the future and if Dannyg gets wise and sees the light that if you need to get over a stick you must be in a Prado he too may be included in joining us in the conversation. Oh yes Vkprado there is a trip planned next month have a search on this forum being a fellow Prado owner we can have three of us ganging up on the Datsun drivers - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30618.msg505104#msg505104
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:29:13 PM by fishfinder »
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »
Nearly home bugger! I have really enjoyed looking at your blog, I dont know how you have found time to update it while on the road though!

some people find it hard to update whilst they're at home as well - but then again it has been nice weather  :cheers:
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Black-Pig

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Everything is Subject to change...
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »
It gets dark and as there are lots of places that don't allow you fires, well got to do something other than  drink!
For those of you who are wondering, just to highjack this thread, www.thelifeofrileys.aussieblogs.com.au is what we are talking about.
05 SR5 Hilux  - With Fruit...
2012 Outback Sturt - with some modifications

Offline smithy120

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »
giday Smithy120 and welcome was good to catch up to have a chat over a few ales and offer a few tips about your plans on your trip over to WA . Marcus73 is the wise one that I mentioned he just purchased a Prado - I will have a chat with him in a few weeks over some other plans we have in the future and if Dannyg gets wise and sees the light that if you need to get over a stick you must be in a Prado he too may be included in joining us in the conversation. Oh yes Vkprado there is a trip planned next month have a search on this forum being a fellow Prado owner we can have three of us ganging up on the Datsun drivers - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30618.msg505104#msg505104

So many forums to keep an eye on...  It is your fault i am here now  ;D

Good to catch up on the weekend. Definitely keen to do a group trip or two over the warmer months...