Author Topic: My First Camper Trailer  (Read 7829 times)

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
    • Yakass Coastal Kayak Fishing
My First Camper Trailer
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:06:44 PM »
Hi Folks.
Mods please move this to the correct thread if it's in the wrong place. New here.
Folks, I am looking at buying my very 1st camper trailer and I won't be doing any serious off road stuff but certainly beyond the range of any 2WD that isn't being driven into the scrub to be dumped, if you get my meaning. Fraser island will probably be the most likely spot but certainly not the only spot. I was wondering if some of you might help me out by perhaps, giving me a list of say, what benefits to look for & what to avoid?

Aluminium - Yes or No?
All Steel - Yes or no?
Zips or Velcro?
Etc... etc...

I am sure the list is endless. I am leaning toward Aluminium for the weight benefit at this point as we are also looking at getting a Great Wall X240. (time will tell if that's a mistake or not)
There are sooo many to choose from on line that I hardly know where to begin. A friend of mine just bought a Quantum which cost him around the $70k mark. I am not looking for anything that extravagant. In fact, looking at some of the 2nd hand stuff available I am currently thinking I will need to spend somewhere between $3k and $5k to get something remotely decent.

Looking forward to your input.
Many thanks in advance.
Stuart W.
"Life is a Journey - NOT a Guided Tour"

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
Re: My First Camper Trailer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »

Welcome mate,

There are plenty of forum mebers up your next of the woods. Good luck with the search for your camper.
I picked up my camper second hand and it has been a good honest camper. There are some good ones around if you prepared to wait!

Cheers
Rich
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:19:50 PM by GU Rich »
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
somewhere between $3k and $5k to get something remotely decent.
Good luck ;D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 02:22:56 PM »
I paid 5k for my current camper. I added the water tank and Trigg coupling and away we went  ;D

FOLLOW ME ON

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »
Quote from: mystq
Good luck ;D
x eleventy

Quote from: GU Rich
I paid 5k for my current camper. I added the water tank and Trigg coupling and away we went  ;D
that sorta thing doesnt come along often.  a decent offroad box trailer costs more than that.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:41:17 PM »

Quote from: GU Rich
that sorta thing doesnt come along often.  a decent offroad box trailer costs more than that.
You should have put a tent on that Bruce  ;D

FOLLOW ME ON

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome rich.  ;D

And I see this forum is the same as all the others I've been to. Some people have nothing constructive to say but they just can't resist sticking in their 2 cents. lol. I can play the sarcasm game too. haha. I am well aware that you get what you pay for as I am also well aware that this camper will spend more time in the back yard than actually set up at a camp site somewhere wonderful. To that end, I don't want to spend big dollars. Big dollars to some are peanuts to others but we are not all made of money.

A camper trailer, even a cheap one, will be a huge step up from the 4 man tent I have been using (I should say not using. lol) I am merely asking for some "constructive" input as to the likely pitfalls and benefits of buying these things.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »
For your price range, keep an eye out on in the for sale section.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »
You should have put a tent on that Bruce  ;D
I was :) but sold it and bought ....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
Hi dunebuggy, welcome, good to see another SEQlder.

We looked at most of the local guys in SEQ first, then looked at second hand ones for ages and couldn't find what we were after.  We too had a budget similar.  Ended up spending a few extra dollars and bought a new Jimboomba Condamine.  We didn't really need the jerry can holders etc etc.  We did however get the water tank plus the tool box was included.  The tent is big enough as there is only the two of us.  I assume as yu only had the tent there is only a couple of you also.  We liked the alloy for the light weight (no brakes required) and rust prevention as a lot will be beach driving like yourself.  We don't need to carry heaps of weight in it as we have a ute as the tow vehicle.

However we ended up increasing our budget up and up.

Good luck
Hempo
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:44:06 PM by hempo »
2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »
Hi Stuart and welcome to My Swag :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Prado BB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 07:54:25 PM »
Hi Stuart and welcome to this wonderful forum.

I too went through this exercise quite recently and I am still finishing off my camper.  I decided to buy a new off road trailer and add the bits and pieces to it.  I had a budget of $6k and have only slightly gone over it, so you can do it.

I would recommend a galvanised trailer if the budget stretches for your proposed use, not speaking from experience, but if you intend on doing a lot of beach trips, then obviously gal will go the extra mile so to speak.

Good luck and again welcome.

:cheers:
Cheers Andy

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way, that you look forward to the journey.

Offline gacoxd

• Tent User
  • You wring your hands, I'll roll up my sleeves ...
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
Welcome Mate.

You've done the most important step. setting Budget. Without that you could take forever second guessing yourself all over the place. SEQ is awash with Camper trailer manufacturers, distributors and resellers.

Stick to your guns ad you should end up with great deal.  don't forget to check out the various trade shows.

Damo
2011 Navara STX-550
2011 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

Offline roughinit

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »
Hey Stuart,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm a newbie too. The name is Kerri.
We have our first camper as well which we picked up for $3,700. Its terrific and we're very happy with it. It came with a deep cycle battery, 80 litre water tank, Cooper tyres and the big hitch on the drawer bar. Its also totally galvanised. We feel we stole it for what it is so take your time and and patient and you'll pick up a great deal.
My partner  actually makes The Australian Off Road Campers and while they have a huge price attached we'd rather our camper as we feel they're greatly over priced. If we were to pay that kind  of money we'd buy a caravan not a camper.
Good luck with your search and we hope you find what your looking for.

Cheers Kerri

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 10:56:39 AM »
Hey Stuart,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm a newbie too. The name is Kerri.
We have our first camper as well which we picked up for $3,700. Its terrific and we're very happy with it. It came with a deep cycle battery, 80 litre water tank, Cooper tyres and the big hitch on the drawer bar. Its also totally galvanised. We feel we stole it for what it is so take your time and and patient and you'll pick up a great deal.
My partner  actually makes The Australian Off Road Campers and while they have a huge price attached we'd rather our camper as we feel they're greatly over priced. If we were to pay that kind  of money we'd buy a caravan not a camper.
Good luck with your search and we hope you find what your looking for.

Cheers Kerri

So your partner works there and you think they are asking to much for there campers?
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »
Wow, so many more posts now. :laugh: I assumed I would be automatically notified of replies like some other forums I have been on but I just found the "notify" button at the bottom of the thread so, I've got that sorted now.

Anyway, as has been mentioned, there are loads of companies making them and that just makes the choice more difficult.
One of my questions was what to look out for. What kinds of features/faults have you all come across that you would avoid like the plague if you were shopping for you next camper trailer?

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »
Look for good quality zips, they cop a flogging. Particularly if you have kids..

FOLLOW ME ON

Offline gacoxd

• Tent User
  • You wring your hands, I'll roll up my sleeves ...
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 05:26:50 PM »
Look for good quality zips, they cop a flogging. Particularly if you have kids..

AMEN!!  I reckon that is the best piece of advice I have seen ...

Damo
2011 Navara STX-550
2011 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

Offline roughinit

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 05:59:56 PM »
Yeah but that's just our opinion. In saying that they are very popular and must obviously have what people are looking for as they sell really well and get Camper of the year so our opinion is just that.

Offline bluedogman

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »
If you are buying new, never sign up untill you have seen the factory and the step by step manufacturing operation with your own eyes.
Take a experienced tradeperson with you
Dont be mislead by a large shed and lots of activity
Its ok to buy imported.....as long as THEY tell you from the get go.In your price range imports abound.
If its got wheels or it floats im into it

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
I don't particularly want to buy new but if I do, a friend of mind recommended Trackabout at slacks creek but even their cheapest one was a bit more than I wanted to spend. I liked the look of hers and the quality though. More than likely though, I think I will stick with something 2nd hand. We are due to replace both of our vehicles too so a big chunk of dollars is already slotted to that. The other reason I don't want to spend big dollars is that out of all of the days we will own it, a large proportion of that time it will be just killing grass in the back yard. Much as I would like to just pack up an bugger off somewhere but my 80 year old mum is moving in with us this week.

The most use it will get is for weekend kayak fishing tournaments so, mostly one or 2 night trips but I like to be comfortable. Sleeping in the back of my old wagon gets a bit old. lol. I would also like to take old mum to a few places but they will have to be reasonable level grounded places as she is't too good on her feet these days. I just want her to get out and see a few things while she still can.

Noone has said anything about wheel size or stud patterns, axle sizes. I assume they are all pretty similar and that bearings are as easy to locate as they are for a boat trailer. They don't come with something weird and hard to get do they? Might be a stupid question but, If I don't ask I won't find out will I ?! Anyway, I have another question but I think this is the wrong thread/section to ask it so I will ask it elsewhere. Thanks for all the help so far.  :cheers:

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »
I read a lot of people recommending same tyre size, stud pattern etc as towing vehicle that way you have plenty of spares and what not.  Okay if you are building a custom trailer and have a high budget.  As you are looking second hand you may not find the exact match.  I have seen some where they buy a second hand (or new) trailer and then put larger tyres and wheels on and then their tent is a couple of inches off the ground. 

You also mention you are updating your vehicles.  You may buy a trailer that matches now but not your new car or may match one car and not the other.  As the trailer will most likely come with one spare, unless you are going somewhere punctures are a high risk, then you can always carry another spare.

Our trailer wheels don't match our current car, not to say they won't match a future car we buy.  I expect to have the trailer longer than I do cars.

Bearings etc are standard off the shelf products.
2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »
Hey folks I just found another camping trailer manufacturer and there cheapest model falls within my "proposed" budget but you get what you pay for. Has anyone had any experience with these campers?  http://www.tpcampertrailers.com.au/index.html

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 10:47:45 PM »
not looking back through the thread, whats your budget, and tow vehicle?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline dunebuggy

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »
not looking back through the thread, whats your budget, and tow vehicle?

My budget is tentative but from what I have looked at on the net so far I figured $3k to $5k  would get me something to suit my needs.
Towing vehicle will tow 1700kgs Braked according to the specs. Ideally, I would like the trailer & all food, clothing, bedding etc.. to be no more than 1000kgs. I'm probably dreaming there though.