Author Topic: Hello from NY, USA  (Read 9551 times)

Offline titanpat57

• Learning the Ropes
Hello from NY, USA
« on: May 18, 2011, 01:04:14 AM »
A very special hello to all my Austrailan Brothers and Sisters!!

I really admire all the ingenuity that goes into the camping trailers in the Beautiful Land down Under!

The ROAM (Recreation optimized all-terrain module) is my second attempt at a trailer build.  A third is under design, and frame started, but won't really get underway till next spring.

I look forward to exchanging ideas and concepts with all the talanted and fun loving folks here!

Take care,

Pat

[/img]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:47:49 AM by bigjules »
"I'd Rather Be Camping"

The R.O.A.M. Build 

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/379001-roam-camper-build.html

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Hello from NY, USA
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 02:53:17 AM »
Hi Pat! That is a very cool looking camper - quite a mix of ideas and concepts!

Am working my way through your linked build topic now, excellent stuff. I've often wondered whether the light trailer camper idea is a goer in the US, as the climate and terrain are similar to Australia and CTs are ideal for touring here...

Edit: Just got to the shots of Roam II... I think you might be on your way to kicking off a new range of CTs over there if you have the capital to get it off the ground...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:56:20 AM by Squalo »
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:05:13 AM »
Hi Pat and welcome to My Swag, great looking camper :cup:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:49:39 AM »
Awesome build and welcome to My Swag :cheers:
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:56:29 AM »
Hi Pat,
Welcome to My Swag, I hope you enjoy your time here.
That is a fantastic looking camper you have built there. :cup: :cup: :cup:
I will enjoy browsing your build thread on iH8mud.

Cheers
Parry

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:22:56 AM »
G'day Pat and welcome to Myswag. Nice camper  :cup:

A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:18 AM »
Hi Pat Welcome to My Swag goo to see people from over seas on here.  :cheers:

Offline Old Croc + plus one

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
Hi Pat Welcome to My Swag interesting camper you have there is it bear proof
Ford Ranger 2006

Offline titanpat57

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »
Thank you all for a very warm welcome! :D

@ Squalo...sure would be a "dream job" making these for a living...I'd sure hate to put the Gall Boys or Kimberly on notice that they have some competition...  :laugh: :laugh:

We just don't have a smaller CT concept market here yet, although I do see the Teardrops creating a bigger splash, more than ever.

@ Old Croc plus one...Bears aren;t too much of a problem in the Northeast US like they are out the Western states....although I do try to follow clean camping rules putting away edibles at night so the fuzzies don't come-a-calling!... :cheers:

You folks are fortunate many of the designs you get to use, and suspensions, are trail rated and ready to go.   That's what kinda of forced me into this design, but for the most part Aussie inspired for sure!! :cheers:
"I'd Rather Be Camping"

The R.O.A.M. Build 

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
titanpat57, welcome, good to see there are some projects on the loose.  If you don't think it would do to build a few, try to be the next Trackabout/ Kimberly/ insert brand here  agent and import a few containers full for the next camping show.
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 01:26:59 PM »
Hi titanpat57
Your got a big country to explore to
I will look forward to check out your camper build
 :cheers: sheeds

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, the trailer looks the goods, will have a look at the build up soon, enjoy your stay

GG

Offline flamingo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 06:51:47 PM »
    Gday from Downunder Pat and a big welcome to Myswag!!  Great looking camper you have there!!   :cheers:  Phil
Go Tigers!
2005 Navara
2011 Jayco Flamingo

Offline below sea level

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 11:19:54 PM »
Hello from NJ! We're (almost) neighbors!

I sold my camper in 2009 before moving to NJ for a few years. I've been spending a lot of spare time designing a new one that I'll build after moving back to Australia in 2013.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 07:21:28 AM »
Titanpat57 Welcome to MySwag  Looking forward to seeing how you go with No 3 ,on the build . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 08:52:36 AM »
Hi Pat!

That looks like a cracking camper you've built! I've been looking through the buildup on Mud, you've certainly put a lot of thought and detail into it. Like the others, I'm also looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

There looks to be some beautiful countryside around your neck of the woods. My only exposure to NE US was a day trip we did out of NY, even though it was just a 2hr bus trip out and back, some of the scenery was absolutely stunning. I'd love to spend a couple of months exploring that area.

This may be an over-generalisation, but from what I've seen on US-based camping forums (like ExPo), the favourite camper-trailer style over there seems to be along the same lines as what you've done here - a fitted out "general purpose" trailer with kitchen, fridge, batteries, etc, with a RTT on top. Yours is probably the first I've seen to combine the RTT with the teardrop idea of sleeping inside. It's interesting seeing the different ways people do things - here we tend to leave the RTT's on the vehicles, and the campers folder out (either hard floor or soft floor), to give more undercover floorspace. I've never been able to work out whether it's just The Way Things Are, or whether there's another reason for it - tighter trails dictating more compact trailers, rougher ground meaning you wouldn't be able to flip the tent out, cold/snow/bears/???  ;D

Whatever the reason, there's no doubt that the US campers are every bit as tough as what we've got here, and if it gets you out and about, then that's the whole point! Full marks for building yours from scratch - you've certainly got some great skills!

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 08:05:08 PM »
G'day Pat,
Its a beautiful part of the US you live in, spent a few weeks around your area the last time I visited relatives in New York (my aunt lives in Manhattan) I much prefer the country areas of the US to the cities.

Good luck with your camper building adventures.

Offline titanpat57

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 04:12:13 AM »
G'day Pat,
Its a beautiful part of the US you live in, spent a few weeks around your area the last time I visited relatives in New York (my aunt lives in Manhattan) I much prefer the country areas of the US to the cities.

Good luck with your camper building adventures.

Thank you!  The beauty of this area is you can take a train an hour south and be on Broadway to see a show...or drive two hours north to be in the middle of nowhere.  The Hudson River Valley is especially nice area.......(and no crocs down at the river or lakes... ;D)

Hi Pat!

That looks like a cracking camper you've built! I've been looking through the buildup on Mud, you've certainly put a lot of thought and detail into it. Like the others, I'm also looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

There looks to be some beautiful countryside around your neck of the woods. My only exposure to NE US was a day trip we did out of NY, even though it was just a 2hr bus trip out and back, some of the scenery was absolutely stunning. I'd love to spend a couple of months exploring that area.

This may be an over-generalisation, but from what I've seen on US-based camping forums (like ExPo), the favourite camper-trailer style over there seems to be along the same lines as what you've done here - a fitted out "general purpose" trailer with kitchen, fridge, batteries, etc, with a RTT on top. Yours is probably the first I've seen to combine the RTT with the teardrop idea of sleeping inside. It's interesting seeing the different ways people do things - here we tend to leave the RTT's on the vehicles, and the campers folder out (either hard floor or soft floor), to give more undercover floorspace. I've never been able to work out whether it's just The Way Things Are, or whether there's another reason for it - tighter trails dictating more compact trailers, rougher ground meaning you wouldn't be able to flip the tent out, cold/snow/bears/???  ;D

Whatever the reason, there's no doubt that the US campers are every bit as tough as what we've got here, and if it gets you out and about, then that's the whole point! Full marks for building yours from scratch - you've certainly got some great skills!

Thanks!
Matto :)

Thanks Matto!   If you ever get back this way, or anyone, please PM me....the Aussies are the nicest folks!  and we'd love to have have ya!  We had (my fiances side) had relations there, and they use to come to visit, every few years.  He passed away in March, and was a wonderful man.  He gave me a pin of the Australian and American flags which I'll forever treasure.  His kidness knew no bounds, and was always sending presents.  My favorite was a 25# turkey he sent us for our 4th of July (indepedence Day) were the standard food is hambugers and hotdogs on the grill....lol   He had confused our Thankgiving Day, which is at the end of November, and we kidded him pretty good on that one.  His warm smile will be forever in my heart.

I think the driving force behind my design was sleeping for two inside, two up above, and some privacy area under the tent to accomodate the potti for Her Highness. (she's not much of camper, but we're working on that one).  We do have a shortage of flat grassy areas, especially in the woods, so I tried to keep the footprint limited.  Do I wish I had one of those beautiful, exotic tents you folks get to pick from...YOU BET!!  I need to take a break from the CT for awhile, home projects are calling.  Much inspiration has derived from the vast amount of complete setups you guys get to enjoy....just no one doing that here...hey...if someone wants to start a business here in the states....I'll put in my 3 month notice!!.. :cheers:

Hello from NJ! We're (almost) neighbors!

I sold my camper in 2009 before moving to NJ for a few years. I've been spending a lot of spare time designing a new one that I'll build after moving back to Australia in 2013.
  Howdy neighbor!!...I work in Rockland right on the NJ/NY boarder.

Thank you all once more for making me feel so welcome!  I'll try to post some build pics once things calm down around here.  I'm pretty sure our wiring is completely different, but anything I can help someone with, is what I'm here for.  I may not always know what to do......but I difintely know what NOT to do.... :cheers:

"I'd Rather Be Camping"

The R.O.A.M. Build 

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
G'day & Welcome.

Looks like you didn't really need the original trailer, great build up.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline timneva

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado GXL and Cub CT
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
G'day and welcome.

that sure is a serious build you've got going on there. Well done and great to see! Be sure and keep us posted as your next one comes along.

Offline titanpat57

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »
Hello friends,

I know it's been a couple of years since an update.  The new trailer is not underway yet...but I'm having a blast with this one!!

I sold the ARB RTT and got an American military Command Post Tent to use off the back of the camper.

It's 11' x 11' (almost 3m x 3m) and butts up nice with some velcro.  It also has a wood stove, which made a fishing expedition a whole lot more fun when the temps hovered around 0-C.  I put up some pics for everyone to see...I hope everyone is enjoying your holidays and warmer weather!

Be well all, Pat

Got a ARB 2500mm on the 4runner too!! (p.s....I have NO idea where that lager on the step came from!)

"I'd Rather Be Camping"

The R.O.A.M. Build 

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 02:22:57 PM »
Welcome back pat, love the tent and stove. Would do well down here!

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline laf

• Tent User
  • HARD FLOOR
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 05:45:47 PM »
welcome back pat, great fireplace and location
cheers

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 05:54:04 PM »
Hi Pat,
Nice stubby cooler.  I have one the same somewhere. Where you in the USAF?
Muz.

KingBilly

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 06:14:49 PM »
Nice setup  :cup:  Thanks for sharing  :cheers:

KB