Author Topic: Mechanic recommendation - Katherine (NT), Broome (WA), Alice Springs  (Read 7707 times)

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
Just as part of our trip planning, after any recommendations for mechanics to do service/repairs on the 4WD at:
Katherine
Broome
Alice Springs

thanks in advance

Mark.
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
Alice Springs:
I've sent a few swaggers to: Tim Wells,   he works from Home full time, 0408833741, he is honest as the day is long, competent mechanic and nice guy. He looks after my Prado.
 otherwise
Country Diesel Maintenance
Diesel Engine Dealer
Address: 20 Fogarty St, Alice Springs NT 0870
Phone:(08) 8952 1712, very good but you pay for their experience.
The following users thanked this post: MarkVS, b1

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
Alice Springs:
I've sent a few swaggers to: Tim Wells,   he works from Home full time, 0408833741, he is honest as the day is long, competent mechanic and nice guy. He looks after my Prado.
 otherwise
Country Diesel Maintenance
Diesel Engine Dealer
Address: 20 Fogarty St, Alice Springs NT 0870
Phone:(08) 8952 1712, very good but you pay for their experience.

The local Toyota dealer is someone to use only as a last resort :(
If you need any parts then you'll have to wait for them to come from Adelaide. No-one carries anything in Alice..
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline
The following users thanked this post: MarkVS

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
The local Toyota dealer is someone to use only as a last resort :(
If you need any parts then you'll have to wait for them to come from Adelaide. No-one carries anything in Alice..
unfortunately many people have the same opinion of Kiddles. Repco are pretty good for parts, we also have a good bearing place, and bolt shop, and bunnings sells duct tape.....
The following users thanked this post: MarkVS

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
unfortunately many people have the same opinion of Kiddles. Repco are pretty good for parts, we also have a good bearing place, and bolt shop, and bunnings sells duct tape.....

Yeah, but Bunnings dont carry front CVs for a 100 series, and neither does Repco. In a place that sees so many tojos I cant believe no-one has any CVs. Brother had to wait 3 days for them to come from Adelaide. :(
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Yeah, but Bunnings dont carry front CVs for a 100 series, and neither does Repco. In a place that sees so many tojos I cant believe no-one has any CVs. Brother had to wait 3 days for them to come from Adelaide. :(
It would be a big store to carry CV's for every model car that comes through.. specially with the increase in popularity of in dual cabs etc.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
It would be a big store to carry CV's for every model car that comes through.. specially with the increase in popularity of in dual cabs etc.
Valid point, but the 100 series would have to be just about the most common 4x4 around, and even the local stealer doesn't carry them  ???
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Mechanic recommendation - Katherine (NT), Broome (WA), Alice Springs
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »
Just a bump, any more ideas??????

Offline iggy3860

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 09:43:55 AM »
Had repairs done at:
Minshull Mechanical Repairs
96 Guy St, Broome WA 6725
(08) 9192 5326

They are the ARB dealership. There are two reviews on the Yellow Pages ad representing the opposite ends of the experience re: workmanship, price, etc.

I had some frustrations mainly with the 'overnight' delivery of parts from Perth. Parts ordered 'overnight' express on Tuesday before lunch: the first part arrived midday Thursday & the other parts Friday afternoon. More to do with their remote location in WA & being at the mercy of the freight companies.

The explanation I got about the process of how the front end was damaged ie what happened, which part failed when & how that contributed to the eventual problem was first class. I suppose that is a result of them seeing an enormous amount of that type of work.

The repairs were done Sarurday morning so they were under pressure to get the job out [eventually after closing around 1:30 pm]. With the time pressure to get the front repaired, the check of the rear suspension bushes I asked for was overlooked...a bit of a communication issue between the front office & workshop. I missed checking that work as well again to the time pressure. The rear bushes ended up protesting quite a bit down the Canning after I rejoined the group at Georgia Bore  :(

The quality of the repairs was good...the front end held up well with the CSR & return trip home. The cost I thought was on the high side but not really sure as I have a very good, reliable mechanic at reasonable cost  ;D The freight costs are unavoidable & did add to the overall bill.

Ian
Iggy
[Ian McLaren]
Mazda BT50
VKS737 Mobile 0134

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 10:16:55 AM »
l did my diff carrier bearings on the Gibb river road ,  & found out when l got to Broome . Rocked in to the ARB dealer , he ordered the parts for the overnight flight & at 10am the next day delivered the Pajero  , picked it up at 5.30  He handed me the bill, the keys & a  :cheers:  Now that service  :cup: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Had repairs done at:
Minshull Mechanical Repairs
96 Guy St, Broome WA 6725
(08) 9192 5326

They are the ARB dealership. There are two reviews on the Yellow Pages ad representing the opposite ends of the experience re: workmanship, price, etc.

I had some frustrations mainly with the 'overnight' delivery of parts from Perth. Parts ordered 'overnight' express on Tuesday before lunch: the first part arrived midday Thursday & the other parts Friday afternoon. More to do with their remote location in WA & being at the mercy of the freight companies.

The explanation I got about the process of how the front end was damaged ie what happened, which part failed when & how that contributed to the eventual problem was first class. I suppose that is a result of them seeing an enormous amount of that type of work.

The repairs were done Sarurday morning so they were under pressure to get the job out [eventually after closing around 1:30 pm]. With the time pressure to get the front repaired, the check of the rear suspension bushes I asked for was overlooked...a bit of a communication issue between the front office & workshop. I missed checking that work as well again to the time pressure. The rear bushes ended up protesting quite a bit down the Canning after I rejoined the group at Georgia Bore  :(

The quality of the repairs was good...the front end held up well with the CSR & return trip home. The cost I thought was on the high side but not really sure as I have a very good, reliable mechanic at reasonable cost  ;D The freight costs are unavoidable & did add to the overall bill.

Ian

Same problem when we broke down in Newman the mechanic was fantastic it was getting the parts from Perth that was the issue (3 day wait)
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline woftam

• Tent User
  • Conanti dabitur
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 11:21:46 AM »
being at the mercy of the freight companies.
Ain't that the truth. Was in Halls Creek in 2014, mate was waiting on parts out of Perth. Driver decided he'd skip Hall Creek on the way up to Kununurra and do it on the way back. Great, another two days accommodation costs and sitting around.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
-Dr. Seuss

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
I had a terrible experience at the same mob in Broome a few years back. Hopefully they have picked their act up since then.  Lets just say they had to get better from my experience, they were that bad. But that was back in 2011.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 10:24:49 PM »
I was picking up some bearing for the CT this arvo, and CBC had a sign advertising CV's! Had a chat to the fella, says they do keep some popular ones in stock, and get them in pretty quick when needed. Also says they have expanded their range and looking at the catalogue they have some good prices. So add CBC to the list of places to try and find stuff, Nth Stuart Hwy Alice Springs.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 05:44:59 AM »
Another way to approach this problem is get a full recovery package  for your Tug/CT  . Then all you need is a Satphone       :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust