Author Topic: The Random Question of the Day Thread...  (Read 319432 times)

Mace and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: The Random Question of the Day Thread...
« Reply #650 on: December 11, 2019, 09:04:20 AM »
Quote from: noel_w
Unfortunately we have been sold a pup with the current crop of pollies of any persuasion

have to say thats the truest statement ever posted here. Well except for Nissans are better than yoitaz
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #651 on: December 12, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »
Question: is there a public holiday coming up?

I noticed that fuel went from $1.35 to $1.79.9 overnight....

I'm tipping that there is the distinct possibility of it.. Its the "Cycle" ya know. Down when theres no holiday, up when there is...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tedota

• Tent User
« Reply #652 on: December 12, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »
Yeah Christmas. One big F%**#@^ cycle.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #653 on: December 12, 2019, 06:27:40 PM »
Question: is there a public holiday coming up?

I noticed that fuel went from $1.35 to $1.79.9 overnight....

I'm tipping that there is the distinct possibility of it.. Its the "Cycle" ya know. Down when theres no holiday, up when there is...

Genuine question.
Why is the price of diesel so stable but unleaded is out of control.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #654 on: December 12, 2019, 07:53:16 PM »
Why does everything have to be finished "By Christmas"  ?????????????????

Really, the world does keep going. It has done for billions of years so I'm pretty darn sure it's going to tick over nicely into 2020, albeit with a few headaches, but next year will go on despite what that twit Greta says.

Yes it can wait till next year, and if you really wanted it done "By Christmas" perhaps you should have though about it in say, March, April, even October or November, but NOOOOOO!!!! You leave it till Aunty Mavis is coming and need it done urgently.
Honestly it gets worse every year.
(Or maybe I just get less tolerant  :-[)

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #655 on: December 12, 2019, 08:03:53 PM »
Genuine question.
Shhh... they might hear you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #656 on: December 12, 2019, 08:28:19 PM »
Genuine question.
Talk about speaking too soon.... ;)

“Why Diesel Prices Are Set To Soar;
The world is ticking down to a deadline that promises to have major ramifications in the global fuel markets. On January 1, 2020, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) will require the sulfur content in marine fuel to drop from a maximum of 3.5% down to 0.5%.

This rule continues a trend of limiting the sulfur content in fuels (which originates from the sulfur contained in crude oil). Europe began tightening sulfur specifications in the 1990s, and the U.S. began to phase in ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) in 2006.

Prior to implementation of the ULSD standard in the U.S., gasoline often traded at a premium to diesel. But meeting the ULSD standards required refineries to invest billions of dollars into equipment to remove the sulfur. This drove up diesel prices in two ways.

First, the cost to produce diesel was simply higher due to additional capital and operating costs.

Second, this meant that refiners had to be more selective about purchasing high-sulfur (“sour”) crude oils. This drove down the demand for sour crudes and drove up the demand for lower sulfur (“sweet”) crudes, increasing the price differential between the two grades.

So refiners had to pay more for sweet crudes, or invest heavily into new equipment that could remove the sulfur from the sour crudes. The net result was that after 2006, the price differential between gasoline and diesel flipped.

It has been estimated that the new IMO rules will apply to 3.5 million barrels per day of high-sulfur fuel oil, although post combustion gas scrubbers may allow some vessels to continue using the high-sulfur fuel. Most marine vessels will have to switch to cleaner distillate fuels like low-sulfur diesel, which will increase demand significantly.

As with the previous USLD switch, the new regulations will increase the cost to produce marine fuel, and it will again put upward pressure on the price of sweet crudes and downward pressure on sour crudes.

Refineries are certainly gearing up for the increase in diesel demand. But given the time, complexity, and expense of increasing capacity to meet the new demand, it is possible that there will be insufficient supplies when the new specifications come into effect.

In any case, it seems certain that diesel prices are set to rise, and perhaps significantly. Low sulfur crudes like West Texas Intermediate (WTI) will likely see demand spike as well.”

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #657 on: December 13, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
Talk about speaking too soon.... ;)

“Why Diesel Prices Are Set To Soar;
The world is ticking down to a deadline that promises to have major ramifications in the global fuel markets. On January 1, 2020, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) will require the sulfur content in marine fuel to drop from a maximum of 3.5% down to 0.5%.
Didnt they drop the sulphur years back and everyones fuel pumps Shit themselves?

This is interesting - rusty?
https://www.axi-international.com/ultra-low-sulfur-diesel-ulsd/

also interesting

The move towards ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel (ULSD) in the last ten years has been great for the environment. Millions of tons of sulfur gases have been prevented from entering the atmosphere, and that’s good for things like preventing acid rain. But these ULSD fuels attract more water and are less resistant to microbes than the higher sulfur diesel fuels from before 2006. So when you’re linking this to the issue of fuel contamination, this fuel change means that today’s diesel fuels are far more likely to develop contaminants like microbes, biomass, sludge and water.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #658 on: December 13, 2019, 09:45:03 AM »
Didnt they drop the sulphur years back and everyones fuel pumps Shit themselves?
Yes.

This is specifically for maritime vessels, that have been using the old fuel until now.

3.5 million barrels per day is currently used to move our junk around the oceans. Forcing them to move to the cleaner fuels will have a measurable effect on our pump prices.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #659 on: January 23, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #660 on: January 23, 2020, 12:07:49 PM »
Can anyone tell me why Belle Gibson's not in jail? she 'refuses' to pay 500k fines..

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/sheriff-raids-belle-gibson-s-northcote-house-to-recoup-500-000-fine-20200122-p53tod.html
Reckon the tax Dept needs to have a good long look at her too. An income of $15000 & $20000 in 2016 and 2017? And living in a $600/ week apartment? Yeah sure!

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #661 on: January 23, 2020, 06:35:22 PM »
Reckon the tax Dept needs to have a good long look at her too. An income of $15000 & $20000 in 2016 and 2017? And living in a $600/ week apartment? Yeah sure!

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
Oh it gets better..

Cancer fraudster Belle Gibson has become part of Ethiopia’s Oromo community with a video surfacing of her discussing the struggles “back home”. BACK HOME???????

Gibson, who has adopted the name “Sabontu”, talks to community Shabo Media about the diaspora and hopes for local political hero Jawar Mohammed and the country’s leader Abiy Ahmed.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/cancer-fraud-belle-gibson-goes-ethiopian-20200123-p53u5q.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #662 on: January 24, 2020, 07:55:19 AM »
Nah, that's fair enough ...

We've been getting ripped off by Nigerians for years now, so it's only fair that people over there start getting ripped off by Aussies >:D ::)

Because there's no two ways - she's going to have her hand in their bank accounts! >:(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #663 on: January 24, 2020, 08:38:09 AM »
Quote from: Fizzie
Because there's no two ways - she's going to have her hand in their bank accounts! >:(

:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Cancer fraudster Belle Gibson’s latest guise has unravelled with Victoria’s Oromo community rejecting suggestions she has joined their ranks after a video surfaced of her claiming she had reinvented herself as a member of the Ethiopian tribal group.

Donning a headscarf and praising Allah, Ms Gibson, who was found guilty of misleading and deceptive conduct over the fake cancer scandal, has claimed to have been volunteering for the community group for about four years and was involved in efforts to raise money for its leaders “back home”.

She has also taken on the name “Sabontu”.

The president of the Australian Oromo Community Association in Victoria, Tarekegn Chimdi, rejected Ms Gibson's claims when they were put to him on Thursday. telling The Australian that he had only just learned about her “shameful story”.

He said she was not a registered volunteer with the organisation and background checks were typically conducted on ­official volunteers.

Dr Chimdi said he had seen her at events just two or three times and thought someone had brought her.

“We hadn’t been aware of this woman and we do not know her backstory,” he said.

Ms Gibson attracted national attention when she was fined $410,000 by the Federal Court in 2017 for breaking consumer law regarding her claims that she had cured terminal brain cancer with diet and alternative therapies.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/belle-gibson-adopted-by-ethiopian-community/news-story/7947e2e0c3ef96814e3d1352605b61e2
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #664 on: January 25, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
I have been watching some of the BBL cricket recently.
Pretty well every batter who prepares to bat at whichever end needs to scratch around like a demented chicken looking for grubs making marks on the crease.
Why don't the line markers just add the wicket positions on the crease line with a roofing nail or such?

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #665 on: January 25, 2020, 09:40:23 AM »
When planes land we see big smoke signals from the tyre on tarmac kiss. This would indicate tyre wear adding costs to flights in maintenance and probably wearing to the bitumen.
Why don't the plane makers add wind turbine blades to the wheels so they can spin up to speed before landing?

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
The Random Question of the Day Thread...
« Reply #666 on: January 25, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
I have been watching some of the BBL cricket recently.
Pretty well every batter who prepares to bat at whichever end needs to scratch around like a demented chicken looking for grubs making marks on the crease.
Why don't the line markers just add the wicket positions on the crease line with a roofing nail or such?
I’d suggest a couple of reasons:
1. Any marking or nail would quickly wear away or become exposed
2. it’s just part of the ritual of the game

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #667 on: January 25, 2020, 10:14:21 AM »
I’d suggest a couple of reasons:
1. Any marking or nail would quickly wear away or become exposed
2. it’s just part of the ritual of the game

But a 10mm hole with chalk dropped in should be fine, and there are a heap of rituals already been dropped due to better technology.

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #668 on: January 25, 2020, 03:04:22 PM »
When planes land we see big smoke signals from the tyre on tarmac kiss. This would indicate tyre wear adding costs to flights in maintenance and probably wearing to the bitumen.
Why don't the plane makers add wind turbine blades to the wheels so they can spin up to speed before landing?

That was invented years ago and some started to use it but the tyre makers said it was bad for the tyres and wouldn't warrant the tyres if they continued to use them.
So it stopped.

Dan.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #669 on: January 25, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »
That was invented years ago and some started to use it but the tyre makers said it was bad for
them as tyres wouldn't wear out & have to be replaced so quickly >:D

FTFY
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Titfish

• Tent User
« Reply #670 on: January 25, 2020, 07:57:09 PM »
I wonder if birds ever suffer from vertigo?

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #671 on: January 26, 2020, 07:19:41 AM »
how does a blind person know when they've finished wiping their arse?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #672 on: January 26, 2020, 07:26:07 AM »
how does a blind person know when they've finished wiping their arse?

Scratch and sniff??
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #673 on: January 26, 2020, 07:37:22 AM »
Scratch and sniff??

Sent from my SM-J600G using Tapatalk

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #674 on: January 26, 2020, 07:43:43 AM »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.