Author Topic: They're getting serious about drink driving and drug testing up here  (Read 9447 times)

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
Last night, approx 8.30 pm, after driving home from a function on the Sunshine Coast, the traffic was slowed by signs to 40km and directed (by markers etc) into one lane on the main Southbound Motorway to Brisbane. Traffic was banked up for approx 1km.

Then traffic was directed to an off-ramp where there was a service station etc.

The police had setup a huge scenario, with large support/testing trucks,  approx 30 police lined up, undertaking breath testing, followed by police for drug testing, along with Police with torches walking along and inspecting cars while they were being breath tested.

Biggest scenario like this I have ever seen. Clearly getting a message out leading up to the Chrissy period.

And its been all over the radio up here as well so I suggest it's getting the word out as well.

Mark
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: They're getting serious about drink driving and drug testing up here
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 09:09:07 AM »
Wait until you see them like down here where they have the Sheriffs office, imigration dept and as well as drug testing check outstanding warrants and fines, RWC etcthe whole bag. There is usually a lot of clamped cars laying around after the finish

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »
so don't forget we are all guilty until proven innocent 

:cheers:
Adam
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:22:30 AM by Green rv »
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:58:56 AM »
Quote from: macca
Wait until you see them like down here where they have the Sheriffs office, imigration dept and as well as drug testing check outstanding warrants and fines, RWC etcthe whole bag. There is usually a lot of clamped cars laying around after the finish

Last Xmas/new years cant remember they had both sides of the Eastlink blocked near the Princes hwy exit at around 11-12 at night... they had been there for few hours, and they were there when I came home still going hard..

They even had the SES there who must have been feeding them.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »
Should be more of it I reckon...couldn't care less about those who complain about being treated as if they are being treated like a criminal and yet done nothing wrong, it's a small inconvenience to pay to get these people caught up with.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »
Should be more of it I reckon...couldn't care less about those who complain about being treated as if they are being treated like a criminal and yet done nothing wrong, it's a small inconvenience to pay to get these people caught up with.

I agree... It is a small price to pay to stop someone possibly crossing out of their lane and having an accident with my daughter...or anyone else for that matter.
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »
I agree... It is a small price to pay to stop someone possibly crossing out of their lane and having an accident with my daughter...or anyone else for that matter.
They where too late or perhaps this could be what prompted the crackdown last night (though these large set ups are usually planned well in advance).

My wife was almost cleaned up in the single vehicle accident that blocked the Bruce highway near AussieWorld yesterday morning.

The south bound car left the road at high speed, shot through the centre drain and if not for the concrete culvert on the edge of the large drain, the car would slammed directly into my wife as she was driving north bound.
She said there was no smoke or sign of braking from the on-coming car as it left the road, it just flew off the straight section of road at full speed (100km/h +) and only tipped onto it's side as it hit the culvert a meter or so from her driver's window.

This was pretty much right where the south bound truck left the highway and also slammed into the concrete culvert a few months ago.

We guessed the driver was texting (or otherwise distracted). Perhaps there may have been drugs or alcohol involved, but they must have had an early start to be wasted at 8:20am.

And now for a little rant.

Personally I'd rather see more big RBT setups, it's a much better policing policy then all of those secrete unmarked mobile speed cameras that they love hiding in the bushes up here is QLD.
You get done at an RBT, that's it, you're done. Straight down to the station and off the road.

That guy that nearly cleaned up my wife yesterday could have been doing 150km/h, he could have got booked from the unmarked speed camera that they always try and hide right exactly at that stretch of highway. The cops would have got photo and can collect their money and they'd be happy with that. The fact that 500m up the road he flew across the highway and nearly clean up innocent people is not the cops issue. I mean speed cameras save lives remember.....

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sounds about right for the Mexican border  ;D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »
100% agree.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 12:45:19 PM »
Quote from: Pete79
That guy that nearly cleaned up my wife yesterday could have been doing 150km/h, he could have got booked from the unmarked speed camera that they always try and hide right exactly at that stretch of highway. The cops would have got photo and can collect their money and they'd be happy with that. The fact that 500m up the road he flew across the highway and nearly clean up innocent people is not the cops issue. I mean speed cameras save lives remember.....

That has never made sense to me... take me photo speeding, then send me a fine a week or 2 later.. no attempt to stop the speeding and the consequences of that day. But costs money to put cops on the roads.. and it seems nobody wants to be a cop anymore.. They even lowered their requirements several years ago to become one.

I have no issue with drug and RBT buses.. See one in the servo on Eastlink most nights heading out to do their job.

But speed cameras are nothing but a cash grab... why they are known as Flash for Cash.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »

Yep....X2
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 12:56:35 PM »
Should be more drug testing, a LOT more.

1500+ drivers pulled over and less than 30 drug tested ??? Look at the percentage of those tested compared to those who failed, both breath tests and drug tests. Why isn't there more drug testing?

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/bruce-hwy-blocked-police-both-directions-rbts/3105390/#/0
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

KingBilly

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 12:57:19 PM »
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:30:21 PM by KingBilly »

KingBilly

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:30:38 PM by KingBilly »

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 01:04:13 PM »
Um, they don't hide in bushes  ;D. A police officer is not going to,stand in a bush for 4 hours at a time  ;D

KB

Challenge accepted.
Should I post my photos in here of the 3 hiding spots that I drive passed daily. My personal favorite is the one behind the tree near my local Realestate agent where they get just enough coverage from the F150 that parks a couple of doors down so you can't quite see them clearly, but they can get a good shot of your plates.

And police do not collect any fines.  Once the ticket is issued, Qld Transport manage the payment and collection of fines.  All fines collected go to the goevrnment's consolidated revenue fund.
KB

So we can agree that is IS all about revenue then? ;)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 01:06:16 PM »
Should be more drug testing, a LOT more.

1500+ drivers pulled over and less than 30 drug tested ??? Look at the percentage of those tested compared to those who failed, both breath tests and drug tests. Why isn't there more drug testing?

Because....

KingBilly

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:31:03 PM by KingBilly »

KingBilly

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 01:12:34 PM »
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:31:21 PM by KingBilly »

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »
C'mon guys. We came here to learn about campers. It is a camper trailer forum after all. Geezzz!!!
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
C'mon guys. We came here to learn about campers. It is a camper trailer forum after all. Geezzz!!!

It's under general discussion.....Not that far removed from caravan cross over.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Tracker....... >:D >:D
The following users thanked this post: oldmate

KingBilly

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »

My apologoes oldmate.  I have removed my posts

KB

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »
My apologoes oldmate.  I have removed my posts

KB
You didn't have to delete them mate, nothing wrong with anything you wrote.

I would suggest they are having a dig at some other comments in the Tom Toasie thread.

No harm in adding facts into a discussion like this one. ;)

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
You didn't have to delete them mate, nothing wrong with anything you wrote.

I would suggest they are having a dig at some other comments in the Tom Toasie thread.

No harm in adding facts into a discussion like this one. ;)

X2

Cheers Tracker.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »
I remember what old Bjelke Joh said about it way back when radar's were first being introduced - late '70s?

He reckoned that 1 cop cruising up & down the Highway on a bike slowed down more cars than 1000 radar's ever would, & he was right!  :police:
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 01:55:10 PM »
It always amazes me how many people still run the gauntlet.

I have friends of friends, mature aged and middle class people, who regularly drink drive and drug drive.  They appear to know clearly the law and the possible consequences if caught, but totally play down the risk to other road users.

On this basis alone I'd like to see more RBT's stinging these types.