Author Topic: They're getting serious about drink driving and drug testing up here  (Read 9503 times)

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
Re: They're getting serious about drink driving and drug testing up here
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »
It always amazes me how many people still run the gauntlet.

I have friends of friends, mature aged and middle class people, who regularly drink drive and drug drive.  They appear to know clearly the law and the possible consequences if caught, but totally play down the risk to other road users.

On this basis alone I'd like to see more RBT's stinging these types.

Yep...me too.....It makes you scratch ya head... don't it ::) ::) ::) ::)
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
I remember what old Bjelke Joh said about it way back when radar's were first being introduced - late '70s?

He reckoned that 1 cop cruising up & down the Highway on a bike slowed down more cars than 1000 radar's ever would, & he was right!  :police:

There was a motorbike copper who did the morning peak hour shift on the motorway around Burpengary to Pine Rivers bridge about 8 years ago.
He was awesome at keeping everything flowing.
He'd zip through and make the idiot in the right hand lane get out of the way and stop holding everyone up. Then he would tuck in line line and wait for the other idiot that wanted to go flying through 20ks faster then everyone else. He'd pop out behind them and make them pull into the slow lane. Not pull over, just into the slow lane, I always took it like a yellow card when I saw him do it (once to me I have to admit).

There was so many mornings that I recon that guy was almost solely responsible for keeping that whole highway moving.

Today it's just an in conspicuous black van parked on the side of the road and job done apparently. :(

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
They're getting serious about drink driving and drug testing up here
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »
My apologoes oldmate.  I have removed my posts

KB

Nah put them back KB. Ive had too much Coke today and am a little wild.
I'm just being a

PS i sent you a pm.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:41:47 PM by oldmate »
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/
The following users thanked this post: tracker

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »

Nah put them back KB. Ive had too much Coke today and am a little wild.
I'm just being a

great job.... :cheers: :cheers:

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
sounds about right for the Mexican border  ;D
Yeah your right you blokes are that far behind, dont worry you will catch up

From what i understand KB has every right to take it personally, as far as I'm concerned it doesnt matter how they get you as long as they get you

On the news this afternoon, drug related driving deaths have now overtaken drink driving related road deaths

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
That has never made sense to me... take me photo speeding, then send me a fine a week or 2 later.. no attempt to stop the speeding and the consequences of that day. But costs money to put cops on the roads.. and it seems nobody wants to be a cop anymore.. They even lowered their requirements several years ago to become one.

I have no issue with drug and RBT buses.. See one in the servo on Eastlink most nights heading out to do their job.

But speed cameras are nothing but a cash grab... why they are known as Flash for Cash.

Completely agree with you speed cameras do nothing but raise revenue really annoys me when they try and say that it's speed cameras that have reduced the road toll what complete utter crap technology and safety features in cars are the biggest reason the road toll is lower. It's almost impossible to control the idiot factor in relation to speeding drivers cameras don't fix it, as long as there are humans behind the wheel there will be speeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 03:50:48 PM »
Quote from: rotare
It always amazes me how many people still run the gauntlet.

I have friends of friends, mature aged and middle class people, who regularly drink drive and drug drive.  They appear to know clearly the law and the possible consequences if caught, but totally play down the risk to other road users.
Browny back home couldn't get his license back for many many years to come... done for all sorts of siht.

Figured he had nothing to lose.. done jail, done fines, didn't pay em did time to pay em off... And he wouldn't be the only one in this basket.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 04:26:08 PM »
C'mon guys. We came here to learn about campers. It is a camper trailer forum after all. Geezzz!!!
:cup: ;D ;D
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 04:42:14 PM »
Ut Ohhhh....the 8 to 5 boys are home....lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
Completely agree with you speed cameras do nothing but raise revenue really annoys me when they try and say that it's speed cameras that have reduced the road toll what complete utter crap technology and safety features in cars are the biggest reason the road toll is lower. It's almost impossible to control the idiot factor in relation to speeding drivers cameras don't fix it, as long as there are humans behind the wheel there will be speeding.

The one that's missing there is road design, in particular street furniture and run offs. That makes a difference to older cars that are often driven by the P-Platers. In the UK a lot of the sign post posts are now deforming structures rather than a solid post, this allows a crumple rather than a sudden stop.

The next challenge is teaching people that vehicles that don't deform aren't always the safest... Ok a Chinese tin can that crumples isn't great, but nor is an older Hilux that doesn't crumple isn't going to be much better as the occupant comes to a very sudden stop. What's the adage? Falling from heights doesn't kill, its the landing that does... Try jumping from the top of the bumper with you legs straight when you land* and tells me what happens compared to landing with your knees bent...

(*I take no responsibility for the broken ankles that may ensue)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:01:25 AM by Paddler Ed »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 11:37:42 PM »
There was a motorbike copper who did the morning peak hour shift on the motorway around Burpengary to Pine Rivers bridge about 8 years ago.
He was awesome at keeping everything flowing.
He'd zip through and make the idiot in the right hand lane get out of the way and stop holding everyone up. Then he would tuck in line line and wait for the other idiot that wanted to go flying through 20ks faster then everyone else. He'd pop out behind them and make them pull into the slow lane. Not pull over, just into the slow lane, I always took it like a yellow card when I saw him do it (once to me I have to admit).

There was so many mornings that I recon that guy was almost solely responsible for keeping that whole highway moving.

Today it's just an in conspicuous black van parked on the side of the road and job done apparently. :(
Those motor bike coppers had been doing that stretch a long long time, saw them on the overpasses many a trip to the Big Go Kart track and Maroochydore .. Mid to late 80's and well into the 90's.
Seam to remember a couple of cardboard cut outs of a police bike and yellow commodore  highway patrol car planted up that at different times way too .
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:19:41 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »
I have worked nights or at least late afternoons for the best part of 20 years and down here we used to get pulled over on a regular basis late at night for breathos but these day I never get checked on my way home from work.

Im sure its due to budgeting but I wish there was more of it to be honest. Who wants pissed idiots or drug *&^%$@ ^&*#@ driving around risking our lives.

Its not so much the bloke thats had a couple of beers after work, its more the drugs that I worry about. Or perhaps its because I am getting old.

Back in my day, you could have a few beers and drive home. Geez even the stoners would drive around......very slowly and carefully. (yes I know having a few beers and driving was not acceptable, but I am trying to be brutally honest here)
But this ice epidemic is a real concern. These freaks are a real danger. And don't get me started on smart phones.......I don't want to be a hypocrite because I too will have sneaky look at my phone if I get a message at times when I feel it is safe (insert hypocritical "I know better than the experts quote") but young people these days are loosing lives getting involved in accidents because they are waaaay to distracted by smart phones.

Anyway, good on the cops. Its a shame they dont have better budgets to do the job I am sure they wish they could do.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build