Author Topic: new modcon c3 hybrid  (Read 15520 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
new modcon c3 hybrid
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:08:32 AM »
anyone seen one of these in the flesh?

http://modcon.com.au/c3-hybrid

very interesting...

the lifestyle breakaway ultra was at the top of my 'new camper' list, but this is definitely a viable competitor, IMO...

starting at $32,000... a bit dearer then the breakaway, but has more features and storage, by the looks...

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: new modcon c3 hybrid
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:14:49 AM »
Yes saw it at the Brisbane camping show, it does look good for the dollars, but I would wait a bit longer until they start building a couple more. Just for them to iron out any teething problems.
The fit and finish was a bit poor but I was told it was rushed together for the show..
Overall HEAPS of storage and a nice kitchen and pantry in the side. I really liked the layout and could see potential.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:31:33 AM by wilson79 »
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:17:36 AM »
Yes saw it at the Brisbane camping show, it does look good for the dollars, but I would wait a bit longer until they start building a couple more. Justr for them to iorn out any teething problems.
The fit and finish was a bit poor but I was told it was rushed together for the show..
Overall HEAPS of storage and a nice kitchen and pantry in the side. I really liked the layout and could see potential.

certainly not in the market just yet, so time is not an issue for me... :)

i like the idea of the bunk conversion... if the kids don't want to come, easy change for just the wife and i...

i do like the kitchen to the side, rather than slide out...  and the pop-up ensuite is a great idea...

The following users thanked this post: ravenhard

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »
Yes we liked like the bunk bed feature two as it would be perfect for our two boys..

I really like the North / South Kitchens too as it keeps the annex clear and gives you more room under cover.. Overall I was pretty impressed with the  layout and design and thought for the price even if you pumped another couple of Grand into it getting it the way you wanted it would still be rather economical. One thing I would need to look at though was it seemed very low for an off-road trailer, and may need a Suspension upgrade to gain some lift.
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 08:27:14 AM »
Yes we liked like the bunk bed feature two as it would be perfect for our two boys..

I really like the North / South Kitchens too as it keeps the annex clear and gives you more room under cover.. Overall I was pretty impressed with the  layout and design and thought for the price even if you pumped another couple of Grand into it getting it the way you wanted it would still be rather economical. One thing I would need to look at though was it seemed very low for an off-road trailer, and may need a Suspension upgrade to gain some lift.

two boys for us too... :)

agreed about the more room under cover...

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »

Yes, but it was called a Complete Campsite Exodise 11  >:D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 08:35:03 AM »

Looks like they share more than a few similarities, I am guessing price isn't one of them though.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »

can't argue with that...  ;D

but, also can't argue that the modcon is nearly a third of the price of the exodus 11... and still done by a reputable manufacturer...

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
also can't argue that the modcon is nearly a third of the price of the exodus 11... and still done by a reputable manufacturer...

fair call  8)
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 10:08:28 AM »
Given the one at the Brisbane show was a first put together and a bit rushed, You would hope the few finish assembly quality issues will be addressed in the production runs ..
Internal mounted fittings [ TV mount and something in a cabinet screwed on with screws that were too long and deformed [ pimpling ] the big flat outer wall skins on both external side walls .. didnt look good ..
 ally welds to bunk bed frame could have done with a cleanup .
Roof hatch Ally flat bar pivot  to me needs to be a bit more beef to stop sideways movement ... The soft Automotive rubber roof seal is being chaffed / pinched and cut open at some point ..
The little cupboard between the main bed and bunks looks like an after thought thats just been plonked there ..
Other than that we didnt mind it, Given it looks like an ACP clad type hard wall camper  with minimal setup / canvas etc .
  It was roomy enough for a bloke my size and the wife with mobility issues liked the lower entry step setup and the fact the bed was lower than level with the windows, unlike a lot of others we looked at.
You would want to hope the front window would seal realy well when traveling in wet weather .
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:13:09 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
As above, I looked at it and liked where they are going with it. You'd allow a few extra g's for a decent awning etc.
Have you actually priced a breakway yet? By the time you add a few of the necessities that they leave off the standard inclusions you'll be right at the same sticker price and considering one is a hybrid and the other is simply a camper trailer with a hard lid there would be no comparison.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
Thought it was you Scott in the video.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 01:48:12 PM »
The little cupboard between the main bed and bunks looks like an after thought thats just been plonked there ..

Dont know that it's fair to blame them for design issues.... :o

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 02:46:05 PM »
Given the one at the Brisbane show was a first put together and a bit rushed, You would hope the few finish assembly quality issues will be addressed in the production runs ..
Internal mounted fittings [ TV mount and something in a cabinet screwed on with screws that were too long and deformed [ pimpling ] the big flat outer wall skins on both external side walls .. didnt look good ..
 ally welds to bunk bed frame could have done with a cleanup .
Roof hatch Ally flat bar pivot  to me needs to be a bit more beef to stop sideways movement ... The soft Automotive rubber roof seal is being chaffed / pinched and cut open at some point ..
Other than that we didnt mind it, Given it looks like an ACP clad type hard wall camper  with minimal setup / canvas etc .
  It was roomy enough for a bloke my size and the wife with mobility issues liked the lower entry step setup and the fact the bed was lower than level with the windows, unlike a lot of others we looked at.
You would want to hope the front window would seal realy well when traveling in wet weather .
Guessing my FF1 i had was a pre-production run as well.
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback

KingBilly

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 05:47:34 PM »

http://modcon.com.au/c3-hybrid

starting at $32,000... a bit dearer then the breakaway, but has more features and storage, by the looks...

Looks interesting.  Also looks like a direct copy of several other Aussie manufacturers.

I presume that at that price point, it is being manufactured overseas, not Aussie built.

KB

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »
Dont know that it's fair to blame them for design issues.... :o
Not blaming at all, To us it just  looked as if it had just been put there as a stand alone after thought ..
From memory the CC mob  tie that cabinet  into the other cabinets under the beds etc as if they are all one piece .  8)
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
Looks interesting.  Also looks like a direct copy of several other Aussie manufacturers.

I presume that at that price point, it is being manufactured overseas, not Aussie built.

KB

At that price point, I would bet strongly that it is done at least partly overseas...

Whilst I don’t agree with designs being copied, it won’t stop me from purchasing...

Unfortunately, I’m not even close to being able to afford the Aussie built versions, so this will be one of my options...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
With all the brands on the market there will always be similarities between brands. Look at forward fold styles they all look similar.

To enter this hybrid style market today naturally there will be so called copies. At the end of the day we can say but they copied them etc but not everyone can afford $80k plus for a well known manufacturer.

The market will decide who lasts and who doesn't.

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 08:51:14 PM »

but, also can't argue that the modcon is nearly a third of the price of the exodus 11... and still done by a reputable manufacturer...

Although it most likely is made in China. The price does look very appealing, but it's not for me......too heavy, too wide and too high.. 8)
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

KingBilly

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 08:14:26 AM »
I find it rather amusing watching some of this discussion.  I remember when MDC copied the Lifetsyle, CC, etc and all the staunch Aussie manufacturing supporters started ranting and raving, on this very forum, about Chinese copies of good old Aussie designs.  Now Modcon have done what another three or four other importers have done, and not one whinge about it being a copy  ;D. But in fairness to Modcon, everybody else has copied their original forward fold design, so I guess it is just payback  :cup:

KB
The following users thanked this post: jkwpajero

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 08:27:14 AM »
I find it rather amusing watching some of this discussion.  I remember when MDC copied the Lifetsyle, CC, etc and all the staunch Aussie manufacturing supporters started ranting and raving, on this very forum, about Chinese copies of good old Aussie designs.  Now Modcon have done what another three or four other importers have done, and not one whinge about it being a copy  ;D. But in fairness to Modcon, everybody else has copied their original forward fold design, so I guess it is just payback  :cup:

KB

i don't want this thread to turn into the usual 'design copy' fiasco...

in the end, design copying has been going on forever and nothing we can do will stop it.  everyone has an opinion on it and that's cool.  happy to just move on.

would much rather the thread just be closed instead of the design copy rubbish coming back.

the point has been raised and i've addressed it.

still happy to hear people's thoughts on the trailer itself, as per my original post.

The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline scott8888

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
Personally i think its a very unique design, yes there are similarities, but one can always identify similarities between campers, particularly in the hybrid market.  Im going to go and have a look at one of them in coming weeks. 
Has anyone with a Modcon camper got feedback on their suspension system? as i note its their own system rather than a Cruisemaster or equivalent system.
thanks,
Scott.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 11:40:50 AM »
my question for them was can I match my tow vehicles wheels. (285/75/16 - Toyota 5 bolt)

they answered me.

"...the tyres are 265/75 R16 and bolt pattern is 6 stud landcruiser.  As for changing to the 5 bolt land cruiser, unfortunately we do not offer this option."

this would indicate to me that the chassis, suspension etc (at least) are imported as a locally manufactured setup would be easy(er) to change.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »
If it's fitted with Alko Brand Brakes then you just swap out the Drum assembly.

They do that on the Track Trailers, to match the Tow vehicle.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:58:14 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »
Personally i think its a very unique design, yes there are similarities, but one can always identify similarities between campers, particularly in the hybrid market.  Im going to go and have a look at one of them in coming weeks. 
Has anyone with a Modcon camper got feedback on their suspension system? as i note its their own system rather than a Cruisemaster or equivalent system.
thanks,
Scott.

Have you looked at the CC Exodus 11 Bunk version? It's pretty obvious copy to my way of thinking. Having said that if you just do everything the same as an established competitor you are unlikely to succeed. Modcon haven't differentiated themselves much on the design, but they obviously have on the manufacturing process to deliver something at a fraction of the price.