Author Topic: Keeping food for longer stays?  (Read 4671 times)

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Keeping food for longer stays?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 08:45:15 AM »
When camping and have left over food I just put the food into a suitable zippy bag..put a straw in and close all the way to straw.  Then suck air out with straw and when bag has collapsed, quickly pull straw out and seal.  Not vacuum sealing but saves a lot of room in a fridge or freezer.
Just put the snap lock bag in water with the opening just out of the water. It pushes all the air out.
Vac seal helps stop freezer burn on fish.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »
Vacuum sealing works a treat!! I was going to but the Dometic 240/12v machine but ended up being a tight ass and brought the 240v one from $x$ Supercentre and it works great. It even runs of the standard Inverter in the back of the Landcruiser..

I ended up with the machine and I think 4 rolls of bags for 70 bucks? Have used it many times now for camping and home and does a great job..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

KingBilly

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
Thats a 240v, isn't it, KB ???

Yep.  And runs off the invertor if needed but normally only use it at home in preparation for a trip but have also used it in camp kitchens or the invertor when restocking.

KB

KingBilly

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »
Does that have varia me suction for wet food?
I have a sunbeam and it only has 1 level so useless for a lot of food

Has an auto button or can use the vacuum and sealing buttons independantly to get the variance you need.  Never had a problem using it for any food.  If squishy food like rissoles or sausages, I freeze first.  For wet dishes, freeze in disposable takeaway containers, remove and vac pack.  Vegatables, peel and slice, vac pack.  Others must take different foods to what we do, never had an issue.

KB
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:31:11 AM by KingBilly »