Author Topic: Howdy from Sydney  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Peter The Greek

• Swag User
Howdy from Sydney
« on: March 11, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »
G'day all,

First post here, thought I'd say hi. I've been camping since I was a little fella, still go away for weekends with mates etc. What has brought me to the forum is looking into trailers and a desire to start a build of a custom trailer that at some point we might put a tent on top of.

We recently returned from a 3 week trip to Tassie. My wife (and daughter) have never camped in their lives. The wife was suspect [read we had a massive fight about it], but she loved it as did our daughter (2.5 years old). The Mr's is so keen now that we have tickets for the Rose Hill camping show next month!

This is what we dragged down to Tassie......all worked ok, didn't stop us from going anywhere (including Fortescue Bay). There is a 4x4 in our future for sure, along with a decent trailer.

In that trailer we had a 60L Engel, 2 x 200AH batteries (with a ctect 12v-12v and another 30AH 240v charger). Also had 100L of water, gas, lights, and a few other odds and ends. We slept in a South Cross Canvas Tent

KingBilly

Re: Howdy from Sydney
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »
G'day Peter and welcome to myswag.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Gwoods

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »
Yasou Peter, good luck with the search. That journey can be as fun as the trips that may follow.
2014 GU Nissan Patrol
2014 Complete Campsite Uluru

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:33:01 PM »
Welcome  :cheers:
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:28:11 PM »
Welcome  ;D

Just as a thought, maybe look at stockman pod campers.
They are very light weight and could comfortably be towed with your current car.
Which means when you do eventually get a 4wd it will tow it even easier :)
Whatever you end up with, have fun exploring.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!
The following users thanked this post: Peter The Greek

Offline Peter The Greek

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

@evolution

We've looked at those trailers in the past. I do like them, but for the money I don't think its worth it. I am kind of a "do it once, do it right" kinda guy. Long term, the Pod trailers wont be sufficient.

What we ultimately want is a smallish trailer, with asymmetric trailing link suspension / MC2. This will house a small kitchen, water (a decent amount, say 200L), gas, storage, probably a fridge (might get another, one for the car and one for the trailer). On top of that we'll put some bars and when we can afford it a roof top tent....also need room for the toilet, lpg hot watrer etc  (this build is very similar to what we want - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35159.0)

Does anyone know if there are any kits out there for trailing link suspension? I can't seem to find much. Trak told me they'd sell me a Mate Chassis for $7-8k....don't know if that's good value or not?....$15k for the mate box trailer I think is exorbitant

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 03:44:03 PM »
peter, worth a look are the new trailers at gic - costa and the boys are great to deal with and their latest trailers are quite well made. we bought the 18ft semi off-road in 2011, it was basic compared to what they are now but it has withstood near gales, storms and heavy rain and when we take the boat away we find it hard to go back to the tent now