Author Topic: Show us your bike (bicycle)  (Read 489074 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Show us your bike (bicycle)
« Reply #1775 on: August 04, 2020, 07:25:35 AM »
I'm not familiar with the internal hubs/belt drive. My view is anything niche like that will be a PITA to get parts for if/when required. Stick with a standard Shimano setup like Altus or even Deore and you will always be able to get parts. There are a lot of old abused lower end Shimano fitted bikes being repaired at the moment, new cables, some lube and tuning and they're good to go.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1776 on: August 04, 2020, 07:40:15 AM »
From my reading belts do appear to be a bit niche but allegedly require next to no maintenance. They don’t  care about getting wet or dirty.

The Shimano IGH 8 speed doesn’t appear to be that niche as there are quite a few bikes available from mainstream sellers that use the  Shimano IGH with chain drives. So from the hub point of view my local store should be able to service/repair a hub if ever needed. Apparently they need very little and infrequent servicing.

Sure they are a bit niche and more expensive, but I don’t want to be frigging around with cheap derailleurs and shifters, I want a set and forget setup.
Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1777 on: August 04, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »
Hey guys I’m after some advice.

Wanting to purchase something for the 8km daily commute and also that my wife can ride with the kids along bike paths. We are very similar in height so can share frames.

Key points I am after are the bike must be robust and low maintenance, have hydraulic brakes and preferably some fast rolling 700C wheels/tyres. Don’t need or want front suspension, would be nice to be able to add rear rack and fenders (fenders not essential).

Does anyone have experience with Shimano’s 8 speed internally geared hub? Specifically the cheaper Nexus.
I have been eyeing off the Polygon Path I8 and Marin Presidio bikes on bicycles online that are paired with the IGH and a gates belt drive. Are these systems truly lower maintenance and more robust than derailleur/chain setups.
I don’t mind cleaning and maintaining my mountain bike after each big ride. But for my commuting I want something that I can just throw in the shed and forget about until the next ride.

Both my kids first MTBs had the shimano nexus internal 3 speed hub and in all honesty they have been flawless. Super easy gear changes with a grip shift and next to to maintenance.
The following users thanked this post: petrolburner

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1778 on: August 04, 2020, 08:47:27 AM »

Wanting to purchase something for the 8km daily commute and also that my wife can ride with the kids along bike paths. We are very similar in height so can share frames.

Key points I am after are the bike must be robust and low maintenance, have hydraulic brakes and preferably some fast rolling 700C wheels/tyres. Don’t need or want front suspension, would be nice to be able to add rear rack and fenders (fenders not essential).

Does anyone have experience with Shimano’s 8 speed internally geared hub? Specifically the cheaper Nexus.
I have been eyeing off the Polygon Path I8 and Marin Presidio bikes on bicycles online that are paired with the IGH and a gates belt drive. Are these systems truly lower maintenance and more robust than derailleur/chain setups.
I don’t mind cleaning and maintaining my mountain bike after each big ride. But for my commuting I want something that I can just throw in the shed and forget about until the next ride.

I think you are on the right path. I work where lots of people cycle to work and internal/belt combo is the preferred commuter from what I am seeing - unless you are the wanker who rides the Dogma to work every day haha.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1779 on: August 04, 2020, 08:50:40 AM »

Only issue that i can see is with the belt drive you will need to carry a spanner as there is no quick release for a roadside puncture repair. That being said however it is a really nice looking bike and i do about the same distance each way and would take the little extra risk for the lack of maitenance required
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline 666Glenn

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #1780 on: August 05, 2020, 10:01:39 AM »
I think you are on the right path. I work where lots of people cycle to work and internal/belt combo is the preferred commuter from what I am seeing - unless you are the wanker who rides the Dogma to work every day haha.
Sorry GBC what is wrong with riding a Dogma to work ?

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1781 on: August 05, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »
Sorry GBC what is wrong with riding a Dogma to work ?

Tongue in cheek - thought the haha might have emphasised it enough, but evidently not?

https://www.facebook.com/FullProKitW/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:58:20 PM by GBC »

Offline 666Glenn

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #1782 on: August 05, 2020, 08:14:06 PM »
Tongue in cheek - thought the haha might have emphasised it enough, but evidently not?

https://www.facebook.com/FullProKitW/
Sorry GBC probably should have read it better 👍😀
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1783 on: August 06, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1784 on: August 06, 2020, 11:29:48 AM »
Fawk.. dude runnin other bloke into barrier deserves a smack in the mouth.

That's gonna hurt tomorrow when the pain killers wear off...

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1785 on: August 06, 2020, 11:52:56 AM »
Quote from: D4D
That's gonna hurt tomorrow when the pain killers wear off...
nutha news feed said dudes on life support.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1786 on: August 06, 2020, 08:43:35 PM »
More on my search for a new commuter.

Local store has a lone XL Giant Cross City Disc 0 hanging on the wall. (Last years model)

Comes with decent spec, composite fork and seatpost, Deore 3x10, and Shimano MT200 brakes.

Any reason why it wouldn’t make a dependable commuter???

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/cross-city-0-disc-2019

Otherwise for similar money I found this Marin which is equipped with IGH, fenders and a cr mo frame.
Should be long lasting but probably a little more urban and not as fast as the Giant

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2020-marin-muirwoods-rc-650b-urban-commuter-bike

Any constructive comments appreciated.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1787 on: August 06, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »
None but how far is ya ride?  ???

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1788 on: August 06, 2020, 09:55:56 PM »
It’s only 5km each way.

But will use the bike for weekend rides for fitness and with the kids. Trying to keep the road and pavement km down on my MTB.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1789 on: August 07, 2020, 06:39:42 AM »
It’s only 5km each way.

But will use the bike for weekend rides for fitness and with the kids. Trying to keep the road and pavement km down on my MTB.

Perfectly fine for what you've described and you can always put higher spec tyres on for a faster ride.  8)

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1790 on: August 07, 2020, 07:21:39 AM »
Local store has a lone XL Giant Cross City Disc 0 hanging on the wall. (Last years model)

Comes with decent spec, composite fork and seatpost, Deore 3x10, and Shimano MT200 brakes.

Any reason why it wouldn’t make a dependable commuter???

Other than being heavy a little heavy, fine for family rides and commutes, you may want to change the tyres to puncture proof or whatever the commuters call them.

Given it is last years model and a Giant, I'd expect a significant discount from RRP, although given the current climate probably hard to get it.

Size XL, how tall are you?

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1791 on: August 07, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »
I’m 190cm

Finding XL framed bikes in any year model is difficult enough.

No discount but racks, fenders, kickstand better pedals ect added in for nix.

Beggars can’t be choosers I guess.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1792 on: August 07, 2020, 12:43:37 PM »

Otherwise for similar money I found this Marin which is equipped with IGH, fenders and a cr mo frame.
Should be long lasting but probably a little more urban and not as fast as the Giant

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2020-marin-muirwoods-rc-650b-urban-commuter-bike

Any constructive comments appreciated.

I'll probably be the voice of dissension here now... If your (regular) commute is around 5klms. Then I'd be jumping on the Marin.

a few years back (when I was commuting to work 60klms each way, each day), I tried using a road bike. (Salsa Casserole, 700x28 tyres and a triple front ring setup). Hated it. But then I've never been overly fond of drop bars and skinny tyres on Sydney roads.

So i swapped to my touring bike. Back then, that was a Salsa Fargo with a Shimano Alfine 8 rear hub. 29"x2.0" tyres and disc brakes. I also fitted full fenders, a rear rack, handlebar bag and a single rear pannier (for change of work clothes).

that bike was a beast.

Full fenders can't be beat when you're commuting. road grit and water splashing up is just a right royal pain on a commute. (in fact, if your fenders don't include them... add some rubber mud flaps at the back of each fender to hang down and deter more water)

and the IG rear hub... all I can say is wow. That Shimano 8 speed hub had a nice wide range, more than adequate for pretty much anything other than Lapstone Hill at Penrith. (and that was short so i was able to dig in for that one climb)

That hub was never once service in over 5 years of daily commutes. I sold the entire bike onto a mate and he crossed Europe with it twice since then.

Unless you have an overwhelming *need* to go fast... a proper commuting bike is better on all fronts.

that bike... and that hub...  sold me on IG hubs. I now run a Rohloff in my fatbike.

is a more traditional looking road bike or a contemporary gravel bike cooler looking... sure.

really depends if you want cool looking... or functional.

you commented on the "urban" style v's the commuter styling and "potential faster speed" of the Giant?

Let's do the math. Commute is 5klm.
speed on the Marin... let's be pessimistic and say 14kph - should take you around... 20 mins

let's say that your speed on the Giant is noticeably faster, say... 25kph - then you've just shredded your commute time down to... 12 mins.

not a huge difference.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:59:35 PM by wakychapmans »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1793 on: August 07, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »
Thanks for your musings.

The Marin certainly has a lot going for it, in the end my local bike store is quite helpful with servicing and parts for my current bikes so trying to support them if I can.

The speed on the commutes isn’t the big deal. I’m around 15mins on the 29er with 2.6” wide Maxxis DHF and Forekaster. I don’t imagine I’ll knock off more than a minute of so on that.

The speed is for if I feel like going for a spin by myself on the weekends. If my wife wasn’t also going to ride it (yes she’s as tall as me) I would choose a drop bar for myself, but she doesn’t feel confident to ride a drop bar, so flat bar and more upright position it is!

I might be able to sneak a drop bar into the garage at a later point in time  ;D

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #1794 on: August 07, 2020, 02:52:59 PM »
It's known as "burbing", an activity which has taken hold in recent months among a small community of Melbourne cyclists confined to their local area

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/tour-de-reservoir-burbing-cyclists-take-on-all-the-streets-they-can-20200805-p55iyl.html
Tour-De-Reservoir LOL!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #1795 on: August 10, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »
A bit of spare time at the moment. Pulled the old girl out and gave it a wash. Might take it around the block for a few rides

GG

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1796 on: August 10, 2020, 05:44:25 PM »
Very retro! Is that a cable tie around the stanchion?

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #1797 on: August 10, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »
Very retro! Is that a cable tie around the stanchion?
Sure is. Been there over 20 years and still no damage

GG

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1798 on: August 10, 2020, 06:14:45 PM »
Look what followed me home...

I've been doing more road riding of late, because the roads are quieter and I am limited to the trails I can ride with stage 4 lockdown. My Norco Search was ok but it is designed as an enjoy the ride rather than go fast bike, and with a lot of 20+% hills around my area it wasn't cutting it. I called my bike guy (Mocha from BikeZone in Fitzroy) and like the good salesman he is he said 'have I got a deal for you'. Turns out he had a 2020 BMC Roadmachine in my size that he needed to move as the 2021 models are due next week. 2021 model is a different colourway and wheels, basically the same bike. Motivated seller and motivated buyer, deal done, oh and he personally delivered it to me. Now to work out how to use all the gadgets with electronic shifting.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1799 on: August 10, 2020, 06:41:29 PM »
A bit of spare time at the moment. Pulled the old girl out and gave it a wash. Might take it around the block for a few rides

I have a (signed) poster in the garage somewhere of John Tomac on that very same model of Giant. The poster says something like "when Johnny be good... he be very very good!" (somewhat similar to the pic below... but in a poster format)

Weirdly enough... Perry Kramer (PK Ripper) was working for Giant the same time that Tomac was riding for them. So I got to meet them both.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres