Author Topic: GST on items under $1000 through Aus Post  (Read 9491 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: GST on items under $1000 through Aus Post
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
Maybe a little off track.

Now don't quote me on the figures as it has been a while since I saw this interview.
Someone who looks into the way jobs/technology is going said that in the next 20 years, (and I think it was less) there will be 800 million jobs world wide lost to technology. Mind you the population will also have another 1 billion or so. How do you tax a robot for it's work ???  Less workers tax would have to mean more from other sources. GST = 20% maybe ???

Also I looked into buying a new sewing machine for the wife.  Think it was around $2400 purchased here in Australia. Compared it to buying in America which was around $1100 AU. Sure there is postage to get it here, they work on a different voltage and probably no warranty here. The thing is why over twice the price from a retail outlet in both countries. They are made in the same place, shipped from the same place, not that much difference in a transformer for the different voltage, for all I know it could be the same transformer just a different tap. Made me wonder who is getting the extra difference in the money. The government would be taking a slice for their import tax for sure.
Having worked for an American company which manufactured and distributed product worldwide one of the reasons for the price discrepency between US pricing and Aus pricing can be attributed to the way the parent company prices/sells its own product to its subsidiaries overseas. Many US companies do not sell to their overseas subsidiaries at manufactured costs they actually make a profit on that cost, sometimes numerous margins dependent on dept, ie manufacturer, distribution, freight forwarding etc. Companies may also set a currency exchange for extended periods, six or twelve months regardless of what the actual currency is at on any given day, head office will also dictate a return on their investments that must be factored in to prices. I do not profess to know all the intricasies of the pricing structures but it is not as simple as a currency calculation US to Aus dollars. Are we paying over the odds, probably but we will never by US product at the same price in Australia if it is coming thru a bricks and mortar business via a US subsidiary.
Take an items manufactured cost add packaging, marketing, warehousing, freight, taxes and duties, LTIs, rebates, settlement discounts, R&D, advertising and sponsorships, staff etc, soon adds up.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 01:22:39 PM by Pottsy »
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
Just thought of this one. What if I was to buy a used second hand item from overseas. Would I be paying the GST on that ???

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »
I believe you should be Corndog, but please don't quote me as fact.
I can't see Jeepers being happy with that idea though.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2018, 01:46:55 PM »
Just thought of this one. What if I was to buy a used second hand item from overseas. Would I be paying the GST on that ???

You should be but they don't have the structure in place to do it if its under $1000, hence why they forced Ebay to do it.The
taxation department has already ruled that all sales on Ebay should incur the GST, that includes mums and dads selling things,
they just haven't enforced it for the time being.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:04:00 PM by HKB Electronics »
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2018, 01:59:40 PM »
calling Mr Kogan...

He's ok if you don't mind buying EU model phones, instead of AU model phones. LOL Oh yeah, and providing they actually work, like mine didn't....
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2018, 02:24:40 PM »
Having worked for an American company which manufactured and distributed product worldwide one of the reasons for the price discrepency between US pricing and Aus pricing can be attributed to the way the parent company prices/sells its own product to its subsidiaries overseas. Many US companies do not sell to their overseas subsidiaries at manufactured costs they actually make a profit on that cost, sometimes numerous margins dependent on dept, ie manufacturer, distribution, freight forwarding etc. Companies may also set a currency exchange for extended periods, six or twelve months regardless of what the actual currency is at on any given day, head office will also dictate a return on their investments that must be factored in to prices. I do not profess to know all the intricasies of the pricing structures but it is not as simple as a currency calculation US to Aus dollars. Are we paying over the odds, probably but we will never by US product at the same price in Australia if it is coming thru a bricks and mortar business via a US subsidiary.
Take an items manufactured cost add packaging, marketing, warehousing, freight, taxes and duties, LTIs, rebates, settlement discounts, R&D, advertising and sponsorships, staff etc, soon adds up.

I know companies here that do the same thing, thy manufacture parts in one plant for use in a product and sell it to another branch of the business who use
it in said product. I expect they do that for various tax reduction purposes.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2018, 02:54:45 PM »
I know companies here that do the same thing, thy manufacture parts in one plant for use in a product and sell it to another branch of the business who use
it in said product. I expect they do that for various tax reduction purposes.
Common in many companies with each functioning division required to meet KPIs.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2019, 02:26:23 PM »
What you’ll see happen with Amazon is all prices will creep up over time until the Australian consumer gets shafted at an acceptable level.

At the moment Amazon is basically competing against itself.

This is my take on it.
They currently sell a product in the US for $100 and you can ship it to Aus for say $20.
They want to sell the same product in Australia for $130 and charge you $5 local delivery.

The fact that you can currently check the US price and make sure the AU price is fair stops their profiteering from Australian consumers.

As all the other US companies like Adobe have show us over many years, Australian consumers are ripe for the picking.
The government and the consumer watch dog a weak as piss and the companies have nothing to fear by screwing us over.
Amazon has just decided it’s easier for them if we can’t see how badly we are being screwed....

Exhibit A;

One of our favorite camping chairs lost a fight with the campfire a little while ago, sadly no local camping stores import this specifc model anymore.
You can buy them in the Uk and the US, just not in AUS.

Amazon US; https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-205474-Sling-Chair/dp/B0047T69NC?keywords=coleman+sling+folding+chair&qid=1547179879&sr=8-10&ref=sr_1_10

Coleman Sling Chair
by Coleman
Be the first to review this item 
Available from these sellers.
Camping seat-Type: folding chair
Size-Maximum capacity: 113kg
Equipment-with arm balustrade ?
New (1) from $46.19

Amazon AU; https://www.amazon.com.au/Green-Coleman-Sling-Chair/dp/B0047T69NC

(Green) - Coleman Sling Chair Green
Price:   $412.00
In stock.
Get it as soon as Monday, January 28 - Tuesday, February 5 when you choose Standard Delivery at checkout.
Ships from and sold by BuyGlobal.
1 new from $412.00

Yes you read correctly; US$46.19 or AU$412.00

I thought it was a typo so checked similar listings on the AU site.
You can get exactly the same chair in Khaki for AU$241.00 (https://www.amazon.com.au/COLEMAN-Sling-Folding-Chair-Khaki/dp/B000YEOMSS)
Or the same chair with a mesh fabric for AU$233.00 (https://www.amazon.com.au/Coleman-2000020294-Patio-Sling-Chair/dp/B00363X00U)
Both of those other versions retail on the US Amazon site for under $50 as well.....  >:(

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 02:31:44 PM »
Exhibit A;

One of our favorite camping chairs lost a fight with the campfire a little while ago, sadly no local camping stores import this specifc model anymore.
You can buy them in the Uk and the US, just not in AUS.

Amazon US; https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-205474-Sling-Chair/dp/B0047T69NC?keywords=coleman+sling+folding+chair&qid=1547179879&sr=8-10&ref=sr_1_10

Coleman Sling Chair
by Coleman
Available from these sellers.
Camping seat-Type: folding chair
Size-Maximum capacity: 113kg
Equipment-with arm balustrade ?
New (1) from $46.19

Amazon AU; https://www.amazon.com.au/Green-Coleman-Sling-Chair/dp/B0047T69NC

(Green) - Coleman Sling Chair Green
Price:   $412.00
In stock.
Get it as soon as Monday, January 28 - Tuesday, February 5 when you choose Standard Delivery at checkout.
Ships from and sold by BuyGlobal.
1 new from $412.00

Yes you read correctly; US$46.19 or AU$412.00

I thought it was a typo so checked similar listings on the AU site.
You can get exactly the same chair in Khaki for AU$241.00 (https://www.amazon.com.au/COLEMAN-Sling-Folding-Chair-Khaki/dp/B000YEOMSS)
Or the same chair with a mesh fabric for AU$233.00 (https://www.amazon.com.au/Coleman-2000020294-Patio-Sling-Chair/dp/B00363X00U)
Both of those other versions retail on the US Amazon site for under $50 as well.....  >:(
wasnt there some website that people could report this Shit to?

I'd love to hear Mr Amazon AU explain this one... LOLOL   someone should post it on their stalkerbook..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home