Author Topic: The Myswag Hospital  (Read 9219 times)

scarpsD40

The Myswag Hospital
« on: January 25, 2015, 08:17:07 PM »
Bit like the electrical thread, post here for good health and medical advice...........

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
Re: The Myswag Hospital
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »
Heard on the FB vine a fellow swagger decided rather than having to shave his legs every week he would have a crack at ripping the skin off his legs via an accident. Think he is regretting that decision though.....  :D

On a serious note, no only do leathers make you look cool, they can save some nasty injuries when coming of a bike. This poor bloke can laugh at all of our jokes at his expense because of proper riding gear.

So be the Fonz, or get right into the S&M and wear leathers (or whatever your choice of proper riding gear).
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:24:42 PM »
So I'm the myswagger that lino6 mentioned above.
I'll fill you all in a bit on what actually happened.
To start with what I was wearing whilst on the motorcycle when I got hit.
Full face helmet
Leather/ carbon fibre gloves.
Textile riding jacket with back, shoulder, elbow and chest armour.
Full length heavy cotton pants,
Enclosed leather shoes.
To set the scene in was turning right around a roundabout doing approximately 10kmh,
It was about 6pm I saw the Ute to my left approaching the roundabout whilst I was already in it.
It was a two lane intersection I was in the right lane (closest to the centre) and he was approaching in the left lane (furthest from the centre)
Now if he had:
A: seen me
B: stayed in his lane instead of cutting straight through
It wouldn't have happened. 
He impacted me from behind to my left tipping the bike and me over and dragging me and the bike for nearly 30m
He impacted with enough force that the bike was wedged under the front wheels of his car. I also somehow got spat out from my bike, spun around and my right leg went under his front left wheel.

I only sustained serious injuries to my leg, the rest of me is sore but over all pretty good.
I was attended to by a cfa volunteer by the name of Clay (huge thank you)
Who listened to my directions (i am combat first aid qualified)  and organised the ambulance and police.

I got off very lightly and was able to go home that night and hug my kids.
In summary I have the following:
*whiplash
*soft tissue bruising to 60% of my body
*separated calf muscle
*ligament and tendon damage in my right foot.
* minor fractures in my left foot
* multiple fractures in my right foot.
*minor nerve damage in my right foot.
*lacerations to my right knee
*missing a bit of skin off of my right foot (about the size of a cd)
* deep lacerations on  my right foot.

Sounds bad, but if I wasn't wearing proper riding gear I wouldnt be here.
It will be a few months before I can walk properly, I'm guessing a bit longer before I can ride again haha.
Bottom line is I have more chances to spend with my kids, go camping and enjoy life.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »
Bugger...! Not a good way to start the year. :-[
But, your one of the lucky ones Evo...
Speedy recovery mate..

:cheers:

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline Walkaboutwa

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »
So I'm the myswagger that lino6 mentioned above.
I'll fill you all in a bit on what actually happened.
To start with what I was wearing whilst on the motorcycle when I got hit.
Full face helmet
Leather/ carbon fibre gloves.
Textile riding jacket with back, shoulder, elbow and chest armour.
Full length heavy cotton pants,
Enclosed leather shoes.
To set the scene in was turning right around a roundabout doing approximately 10kmh,
It was about 6pm I saw the Ute to my left approaching the roundabout whilst I was already in it.
It was a two lane intersection I was in the right lane (closest to the centre) and he was approaching in the left lane (furthest from the centre)
Now if he had:
A: seen me
B: stayed in his lane instead of cutting straight through
It wouldn't have happened. 
He impacted me from behind to my left tipping the bike and me over and dragging me and the bike for nearly 30m
He impacted with enough force that the bike was wedged under the front wheels of his car. I also somehow got spat out from my bike, spun around and my right leg went under his front left wheel.

I only sustained serious injuries to my leg, the rest of me is sore but over all pretty good.
I was attended to by a cfa volunteer by the name of Clay (huge thank you)
Who listened to my directions (i am combat first aid qualified)  and organised the ambulance and police.

I got off very lightly and was able to go home that night and hug my kids.
In summary I have the following:
*whiplash
*soft tissue bruising to 60% of my body
*separated calf muscle
*ligament and tendon damage in my right foot.
* minor fractures in my left foot
* multiple fractures in my right foot.
*minor nerve damage in my right foot.
*lacerations to my right knee
*missing a bit of skin off of my right foot (about the size of a cd)
* deep lacerations on  my right foot.

Sounds bad, but if I wasn't wearing proper riding gear I wouldnt be here.
It will be a few months before I can walk properly, I'm guessing a bit longer before I can ride again haha.
Bottom line is I have more chances to spend with my kids, go camping and enjoy life.

Cheers
Evo

As a fellow rider, glad to hear you're okay. A  firm believer in All The Gear All The Time, no exceptions. even on the hottest  summer days I wear full gear. Rather sweat for my adventure than die for my ignorance.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:16:15 AM by Walkaboutwa »
Prado 150
Custom Toy Hauler

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »
Good to hear you made Evo albeit in a bit of a mess, Do you know if  the driver of the ute intoxed or just a goose, hope it all works out ok for you and the family . Bit far away to lend a hand if you need anything doing but holler out just the same if you do .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 11:52:01 PM »
Glad you are OK.

I was already 32144300% not ever going to get a bike licence, this just adds another 2% to the tally.

Not sure how you bike riders do it, so much trust in others on the road. No matter how aware of others you are, this stuff still happens all the time.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Walkaboutwa

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 12:20:24 AM »
Glad you are OK.

I was already 32144300% not ever going to get a bike licence, this just adds another 2% to the tally.

Not sure how you bike riders do it, so much trust in others on the road. No matter how aware of others you are, this stuff still happens all the time.

NAB, no rider trusts other road users, we are taught to ride defensively, be aware and above all anticipate other drivers. It's a sad way to look at the state of our roads but has to be done.
Prado 150
Custom Toy Hauler

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:26:28 AM »
And hopefully he was duly charged with the relevant offences?  :police:
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 06:33:13 AM »
And hopefully he was duly charged with the relevant offences?  :police:

He'll get some charges, not all
Then the driver will rant about them being unjust, and let it go to court, where the magistrate will slap him on the wrist and send him on his way!
Bob and Robyn

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 07:02:14 AM »
Sorry to hear about ya off Evo. I hope ya recover quickly.
But, lets face it, ya ride a bike ya gunna get hit by someone and often the idiot that caused it will lie through their teeth to defer blame.

Now i'm chief cook and bottle washer with the mowing gig, I ended up selling the bikes a few years ago.

Pretty hard mowing with ya legs in plaster huh.

Not being the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree, I often rode in just jeans and a T-shirt and often rode like a tool too. (hard to believe, but true)
Playing with nitrous oxide on it didn't help either. It was a sure fire way to turn clean underwear to mission brown.

I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Marschy

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 07:52:12 AM »
How do you inhale nitrous oxide while wearing a helmet.

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »
I'm not a bike rider, but have a few mates that are, and I used to pull the chuck wagon for them on weekends away.  :cheers:

One of my biggest fears whilst driving is one day I will hit a bike rider I didn't see, no matter how hard I look for them.

Peter H
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 10:43:47 PM »
I am a registered nurse with about 25years of ED experience under my belt........and I love my bike :) Life is all about risk management, its impossible to live risk free.

As for health advice online.........its a nice idea but also a dicey proposition in this litigious day and age. How would you see it working?
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 06:05:20 AM »
Evo sorry to hear of your injuries mate and hope you make a speedy recovery.

Geez driver sounds like the driver was a clown. Not that it's an excuse but you can sort of understand when a hopeless driver mis judges an accelerating bike but to run into one!  They need to reapply for there license I think, and maybe defend an "attempted manslaughter charge"  to teach then a lesson.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 07:01:19 AM »
He'll get some charges, not all
Then the driver will rant about them being unjust, and let it go to court, where the magistrate will slap him on the wrist and send him on his way!

Hmmm, sounds like the armed robber who was given a good behaviour bond.  :-[
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

KingBilly

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 07:38:14 AM »
Hey Nick, sorry to hear about your off.  Glad you are sort of OK and not totally banged up. Speedy recovery mate.  Hope your body heals quickly and well.

KB

scarpsD40

The Myswag Hospital
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »
As for health advice online.........its a nice idea but also a dicey proposition in this litigious day and age. How would you see it working?
Hi GanG, the intent is to call on the collective experience of this forum group (hundreds, possibly thousands of years) and offer support and guidance as can be seen here with Evo, and to an extent maybe also with Mav of recent.

The forum having a large amount of experience and people from all walks of life, should be able to 'give a kick up the bum' to those males that believe they are bullet proof and don't think they need to have regular checkups, to what do you do  to help get babies to sleep, to travel sickness remedies, to where to get good health info.
Accepting your litigious point, I'm pretty sure there's enough experience on here to point people in the direction of a Dr or Hospital as needed. Or as often is the case, provide info direct as a PM if needed.

I'm about to head back to the Dr's for my regular skin check. Having lived most of my leisure time outdoors fishing, surfing, waterskiing and 4WD/Camping, for the first time in 50+years, I'm starting to get spots, small lumps and dry skin spots I've not had before.
Timely reminder to all to look after the oneself, visit a medical practitioner on a regular basis even just for a check up.  Too much we just say 'she'll be right' and only go to the Dr when it may be too late.

Bit like servicing your 4by on a regular basis, if you want to life (and safely drive) a long and healthy life, prevention is always better than cure.

Hope this answers the q?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:42:15 AM by scarpsD40 »

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »
Although not PC, Tim Mathieson's advice re. Prostate exams is relevant, Asian docs have smaller fingers. Just saying..  :D

Gotta say though, being a sheltered country boy I have a hard time understanding some docs with the thick accents. My doc was asking me to take my watch off but I totally got it wrong. Apparently she was saying "take your clock out". I'll know for next time.......
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

scarpsD40

The Myswag Hospital
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »
Although not PC, Tim Mathieson's advice re. Prostate exams is relevant, Asian docs have smaller fingers. Just saying..  :D

Gotta say though, being a sheltered country boy I have a hard time understanding some docs with the thick accents. My doc was asking me to take my watch off but I totally got it wrong. Apparently she was saying "take your clock out". I'll know for next time.......
lol...........

If you're doctor is doing a digital exam, could be time to find a new Dr. In 10+ years of annual check ups, no digital exam to date (pardon the pun).
Have a blood test each year and Dr said prostate all good based on this. Assume if the blood test throws up a questionable result, then she might need to probe further!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:19:21 PM by scarpsD40 »

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 04:24:53 PM »
lol...........

If you're doctor is doing a digital exam, could be time to find a new Dr. In 10+ years of annual check ups, no digital exam to date (pardon the pun).
Have a blood test each year and Dr said prostate all good based on this.

Nah mate I'm just being stupid (hard to believe I know....)

Had my very first blood test about 2 years ago. The pathologist was surprised that a bloke who was 34 at the time had never had blood taken before. She asked if I would be ok and I said I didn't know which she found disturbing!! Went in to check my iron levels, found some another problem that meant some lifestyle changes including cutting my alcohol consumption right back to nearly nothing (I've had 5 cans since August). But if the worst thing you have to face in life is drinking less then I don't think I have it too bad (speewa might not agree).

Moral of my story is although you might think you are fine sometimes the tests show something else. Not only does a regular check not hurt, it could find something early enough to treat. Same goes for mental health, talking to someone if you need it doesn't make you soft. Running put of blue pills or that special gel might, but getting help for your health doesn't.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »
l walked in to see a Dr on my 50something birthday to get checked out since the only time l saw a Dr was to have something sown back on if possible at that time . Went through the mill of tests , all the stuff they could think of & some for the dog as well . Still after all that all they could find was the usual stuff . They did enquire if l took a drink at all  ??? ??? Would l drink a glass or 2 each day , my reply was  " ld spill that much on good day ... " l am now under 7 Dr as lm told by each to only have 2 cans a Day  , 14 works on a quiet day  :cup: :cup: :cheers:

lt must be Cocktail hour somewhere , or time for a Coldie  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »

You better get a new dentist mate, he's doing it all wrong........... ???
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 09:35:56 PM »
You better get a new dentist mate, he's doing it all wrong........... ???

Worst podiatrist I've had......

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 10:21:19 AM »
Blood tests are a good baseline of health (i used to work in Pathology) from the age of 30 onwards i would reccomend the following every 2 years

Blood pressure
Blood tests including:
Liver function test - too much booze
Kidney and renal function - diabeties end organ damage
Iron studies - anemia or not
Fasting glucose - diabeties
Cholesterol good annd bad - heart disease markers

simple tests that take a few minutes and you will be amazed how much diet and lifestyle changes can make to the results even over 6 months
I Drink & I Know Things