Author Topic: Tyre Fitters  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Goshen

• Swag User
Tyre Fitters
« on: July 21, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
Afternoon all,
                   Im just looking for some advice on how to avoid getting rims scratched or damaged when tyres are being fitted.
Ive just had 4 rims off an R8 Clubsport powder coated and repaired in preparation for putting the car on the market.

I now have to get the tyres refitted and balanced and am feeling a little concerned about the tyre shop damaging the rims in the process of fitting and balancing. The tyre shop who stripped the tyres off said no worries refitting them as long as the rims have cooled down.

Now I know I can take photo's before and point out that these are blemish free etc and then take it up afterwards if there are marks but is there anything else I can do.

And on the matter of where ..... Im in Cairns so if anyone can recommend a suitably fussy tyre fitter in town Id appreciate it   :laugh:

Cheers

Goshen

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Tyre Fitters
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »
From a foggy  memory  I think we had nylon boots / caps that went over the tire irons on the fitting machines back in the dinosaur days to protect the soft alloys of the High end Simmons type wheels, when I worked at Alan Jones Pitstop tyres .
Would think they have similar better protective gear nowadays .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Goshen

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 04:19:53 PM »
Thanks ...I was told by a mate that they had nylon faces on the points of contact .... his advice was to ask them nicely to be careful and hope it goes OK  ;D

Cheers

G

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »
Hand fit them yourself and you won't have a problem. Rubber hammer and use the white side and a good amount of dish washing liquid.

Dan.

Offline Goshen

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 04:59:46 PM »
I hadnt thought of that to be honest .......

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »
There's less chance of damage fitting than removing.  As long as the duck bill / head is set right, it shouldn't come into contact with the rim. 

With the right amount of force and correct angle, the fitter should be able push the first bead over by hand.  The with the head in place and plenty of soapy water the 2nd bead should glide over the rim.

You'll probably get some minor marks on the back of the rim depending on if they clamp the wheel on the inner face of the rim, or the lip.

I've fitted tons of tyres at my mates workshop and never once marked a rim.  More chance when you're removing with the bead popper.

Find a wheel shop that's primary market is selling new wheels.  They'll be more careful and probably have the newer type machines with rollers for low profile tyres.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 05:31:05 PM »
Find a car club in town, ring them up and ask who does their mag wheels.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Goshen

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I'll ring around and ask a few questions in the morning.
Im just keen to get it done and the car on the market without hassles.
Cheers and thanks again

G

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 06:50:10 AM »
Take them to Black Diamond, unfortunately a bit for for you to travel

GG

Offline whitey001

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 04:45:02 PM »
Normally, as long as the wheels were prepped properly and have completely dried/cured from being repainted it shouldn't be an issue.  The tyre should be able to be fed over the fitting head on the machine without it making serious contact with the wheel if the fitter knows what they are doing. 

Most of the ones I saw have issues were where the wheel hadn't been painted properly and the paint hadn't stuck properly.

Al.
2015 MU-X LST
2019 Jayco Journey 15.48-5

Offline Goshen

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 05:03:20 PM »
OK an update on this. As suggested I tracked down a tyre shop that sells a lot of fancy alloy wheels - Jax Tyres here in Cairns.
I took the tyres and rims in and explained exactly what I was concerned about and the job was done in no time, no marks and no worries.

Thanks to all of you for your advice ....its a great forum  :cup:

Cheers

Goshen