Author Topic: Buying a used Jayco Eagle Outback 2013+, things to look out for?  (Read 6945 times)

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
Hey guys,

Well we're finally getting closer to buying our first trailer, and we've decided on a Jayco Eagle Outback, coming from tent camping.

If there's anyone who currently owns one (or has owned one in the past) that can share some common issues we should be looking out for in terms of wear and tear, or general weak points?

There are various on Gumtree ads that we'll check out, with various different mods/upgrades, like extra water tanks, solar, fiama awnings, bed flies, a/c units etc. Anything that you guys see as "must haves" and conversely those that aren't necessary?

We plan on doing a big trip around Oz at some point and plan on pulling this behind us, and think the a/c unit would be good for those times we're stuck up in the tropics/desert - or do you guys not rate them?

2013+ is just on what we've seen advertised, and we like the more modern interior, but this is a just a rough year.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ron.

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
Re: Buying a used Jayco Eagle Outback 2013+, things to look out for?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 01:08:14 PM »
i'd never be without a compressor fridge these days. Extra water tank pretty handy in my book too saves lugging jerry cans and apart from grog, seems to be the other thing im always needing to top up on when go for a tour in the car (just take a jerry in case sneaky opportunity arises). Ive got an air con and when my son was young I rated it to be able to give him a bit of respite from the really hot weather when he needed a sleep. don't use much these days but nice to have for mrs when really hot +40 as we go camping all year round.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 01:50:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply mate, what's your family configuration and does the Eagle suit your needs?

We just had our first (3mths old) and is the same reason we were thinking the A/C was a good idea for those times we just couldn't get away from the heat.

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »
I had 2 wind ups, both before the kid and was a goldstream crown with the internal bed, ie. no pull out ends. Current model is a goldstream pop top, so not an eagle. I personally like the goldstreams, so id be going their pull out if I got one, but many have the jaycos and love em.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »
We had an Eagle outback and it served us fine but with hindsight and experience we would strongly recommend you go forgo the windup camper and go looking for a pop top van.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 04:34:49 PM »
Oh really, why do you say that?

I have looked at a few and felt a little claustrophobic in some of the pop tops, probably due to the smaller windows etc? I guess the Jayco just seems to be nice and airy, and with a "level up" of comfort over camper trailers, without going into the caravan territory (price, weight etc).

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 04:35:48 PM »
I had 2 wind ups, both before the kid and was a goldstream crown with the internal bed, ie. no pull out ends. Current model is a goldstream pop top, so not an eagle. I personally like the goldstreams, so id be going their pull out if I got one, but many have the jaycos and love em.

Ah gotcha, I'll see if I can find a few goldstreams while I'm on the search!

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 04:42:15 PM »
Ah gotcha, I'll see if I can find a few goldstreams while I'm on the search!
I believe I know a gent who's selling his goldstream. Further details unknown,
It in the greater Brisbane area- Redlands actually;)
Can pass on a contact number if interested!?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 08:26:22 PM »
Agree about the compressor fridge. Bed flies are good too.

Main issue is the roof lifting mechanism, not much you can check when buying. When you get one you need to inspect the cables, pulleys, eye bolts, even lifting etc and if they fail while camping its a prick of a job to sort it out.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 09:39:37 PM »
Oh really, why do you say that?

Just a few things that spring to mind.
When its windy the roof and walls wobble and flap around and keep you awake.
Set up time with awnings and bed end flys takes just as long as our soft floor camper trailer.
(Others may suggest you don’t worry about the bed end flys but once you have set up under trees and the birds have messed the canvas you will probably use them.)
Not suited to quick roadside stops for lunch or even getting into the fridge and you have to wind up the roof to use the stove if you want a cuppa.
Not suited to bunny hop travel with regular overnight stops. (set up and pack down).
Wet or damp canvas folds down onto beds when packed up.
If you have little kids you need to be aware they can slide out of bed onto ground.
Sure they are big and airy but half the space is above the beds, actual useable space is really quite small.
I think you will find SWMBO will be happier with a poptop or caravan.
As we progressed thru the various modes of camping, from the back of a panel van, to tents, soft floor camper trailer, Eagle wind up camper, poptop caravan to full size caravans,  I can honestly say If I had it all over again the only thing I would do different is exclude the wind up camper stage.
That's just my experience and opinion.

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »
I believe I know a gent who's selling his goldstream. Further details unknown,
It in the greater Brisbane area- Redlands actually;)
Can pass on a contact number if interested!?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hehe thanks but I'm down in the ACT!

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 10:13:08 AM »
Agree about the compressor fridge. Bed flies are good too.

Main issue is the roof lifting mechanism, not much you can check when buying. When you get one you need to inspect the cables, pulleys, eye bolts, even lifting etc and if they fail while camping its a prick of a job to sort it out.

Righto is there anything you can see or feel from a "demo" wind up and wind down?

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
Just a few things that spring to mind.
When its windy the roof and walls wobble and flap around and keep you awake.
Set up time with awnings and bed end flys takes just as long as our soft floor camper trailer.
(Others may suggest you don’t worry about the bed end flys but once you have set up under trees and the birds have messed the canvas you will probably use them.)
Not suited to quick roadside stops for lunch or even getting into the fridge and you have to wind up the roof to use the stove if you want a cuppa.
Not suited to bunny hop travel with regular overnight stops. (set up and pack down).
Wet or damp canvas folds down onto beds when packed up.
If you have little kids you need to be aware they can slide out of bed onto ground.
Sure they are big and airy but half the space is above the beds, actual useable space is really quite small.
I think you will find SWMBO will be happier with a poptop or caravan.
As we progressed thru the various modes of camping, from the back of a panel van, to tents, soft floor camper trailer, Eagle wind up camper, poptop caravan to full size caravans,  I can honestly say If I had it all over again the only thing I would do different is exclude the wind up camper stage.
That's just my experience and opinion.

That's really good info, thanks Rebs! Is it really that easy for kids to fall out? I did see the canvas is just held on by velcro.

We're going to go see a few today, are there modifications out there to add slide out kitchens? I did see the eagle has a "storage" bay but can't get any info on how big it is etc.

I guess these are all points we really have to way up and if we can live with!

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »
No real way to check the roof, you can measure the height of each corner of the roof, should be within about 10mm of each other. If not it just needs adjustment, an eyelet may be stretching or whatever, again can't really tell until you take apart the inspection panels. Sometimes there is no warning to when they fail, you won't know if a cable is frayed until you inspect it or it snaps haha!! No big deal really, they are pretty simple system and if your good with you're hands a couple hours on a weekend will sort any issues. Just make sure you check it before using it, easy to fix in the driveway with tools available, if it breaks out camping out will really ruin your holiday haha!!

One of my kids half fell out during the night haha, but my velcro has seen better days! You really need to be leaning hard against the sides to get through there. When our kids were young we just put down the table, took off the cushions and put the portacot there. Fit perfect.

There's some pics in here of stretched eyelets that I found on my 2005 Dove:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35404.0

Portacot installed.

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 03:10:45 PM »
Hi Ron, I own a real old one its a 1983 model shore they are different in side , but still the same winching gear if serviced and oiled and pulleys and bolts are checked each time well before a trip they will last for years, I carry spare cable that I can make to length just incase,  The best thing about mine is they are great to tow can go nearly anywhere your 4wd will go, up tight offroad tracks, they suffer no windage, ours sleeps eight as there is 6 in my mob, They are great for overnight stays and free camps, ours is quicker than a lot of CTs to put up and down 5minutes if that, you are up off the ground, We have no fridge or stove or any gas in ours just all beds, Our compressor fridge is in the back of the 4wd so we can get anything we want at a stop, And I can run my 100lt trailblazer in the van when on long trips if I want, and the old canvas is gone replaced with Vinyl best thing I did, just a quick wipe with a towel and we can pack up, I would not like to spend weeks in it in one spot if raining without putting a tarp right over the top just gives more space as i not have an anaxe , But for continuous travelling with and overnight free camps and staying a few days or a week in one spot, We can not beat our little Pop up van. ours only owes us around $4,500, I would love a better 4wd and Van but we can not justify that 30 to 60 grand we would spend on them, I can do a lot of travelling for that, Craig 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:59:09 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline xvprado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 05:51:55 PM »
My son has the Flamingo, same same just different floor plan add pantry, delete wardrobe I think, seems to have a lot of space inside with multiple seating areas
2016 I think, He has added an extra water tank, 2 batteries and dcdc charger, compressor fridge in place of the 3 way, he runs solar separate as he chose not to add weight to the roof. Has done a fair bit to get it dustproof. It goes well and I think they are real value for money.  He has found it good with two kids, mainly base camping in places like the High Country

I think he is selling it so if interested drop me a pm
Glen
Hawkesbury Valley, Sydderney
2015 200 TD VX & Mountain Trail LXV4.7

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 11:15:45 PM »
No real way to check the roof, you can measure the height of each corner of the roof, should be within about 10mm of each other. If not it just needs adjustment, an eyelet may be stretching or whatever, again can't really tell until you take apart the inspection panels. Sometimes there is no warning to when they fail, you won't know if a cable is frayed until you inspect it or it snaps haha!! No big deal really, they are pretty simple system and if your good with you're hands a couple hours on a weekend will sort any issues. Just make sure you check it before using it, easy to fix in the driveway with tools available, if it breaks out camping out will really ruin your holiday haha!!

One of my kids half fell out during the night haha, but my velcro has seen better days! You really need to be leaning hard against the sides to get through there. When our kids were young we just put down the table, took off the cushions and put the portacot there. Fit perfect.

There's some pics in here of stretched eyelets that I found on my 2005 Dove:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35404.0

Portacot installed.

Nice one with the portacot! We've got one too, hope it fits too! Hmm that sounds like a worry RE: lift mechanism! But good to know in advance before we do a big trip.

And thanks for the above link mate, lots of good info in there!

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 12:07:36 AM »
Hi Ron, I own a real old one its a 1983 model shore they are different in side , but still the same winching gear if serviced and oiled and pulleys and bolts are checked each time well before a trip they will last for years, I carry spare cable that I can make to length just incase,  The best thing about mine is they are great to tow can go nearly anywhere your 4wd will go, up tight offroad tracks, they suffer no windage, ours sleeps eight as there is 6 in my mob, They are great for overnight stays and free camps, ours is quicker than a lot of CTs to put up and down 5minutes if that, you are up off the ground, We have no fridge or stove or any gas in ours just all beds, Our compressor fridge is in the back of the 4wd so we can get anything we want at a stop, And I can run my 100lt trailblazer in the van when on long trips if I want, and the old canvas is gone replaced with Vinyl best thing I did, just a quick wipe with a towel and we can pack up, I would not like to spend weeks in it in one spot if raining without putting a tarp right over the top just gives more space as i not have an anaxe , But for continuous travelling with and overnight free camps and staying a few days or a week in one spot, We can not beat our little Pop up van. ours only owes us around $4,500, I would love a better 4wd and Van but we can not justify that 30 to 60 grand we would spend on them, I can do a lot of travelling for that, Craig

Thanks for the info Craig, sounds like the consensus, to keep the wind up mechanism maintained and to keep some spare equipment! :) Everyone talks about replacing the 3-way fridge with a normal compressor fridge, do they not work very well? do they struggle in extreme temps?

Offline ronyronron

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 12:08:44 AM »
My son has the Flamingo, same same just different floor plan add pantry, delete wardrobe I think, seems to have a lot of space inside with multiple seating areas
2016 I think, He has added an extra water tank, 2 batteries and dcdc charger, compressor fridge in place of the 3 way, he runs solar separate as he chose not to add weight to the roof. Has done a fair bit to get it dustproof. It goes well and I think they are real value for money.  He has found it good with two kids, mainly base camping in places like the High Country

I think he is selling it so if interested drop me a pm

Glad your son's got some good mileage out of his! I think we're pretty set on the layout of the Eagle, thanks though!

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 07:54:32 AM »
We replaced the 3 way fridge with a 2 way waeco. It works a lot better. Takes far less time to cool down on start up & is less hassle. We also have the full electrical setup that keeps it going.
We've now got it for sale. 

Please view this ad:

Jayco Swan outback,
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dapto/camper-trailers/jayco-swan-outback/1242787016?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_sVIP_sticky

Price: $18,000 Negotiable

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
 https://tinyurl.com/n4b7djy
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 06:51:22 PM »
Hi Ron, No worries hope it helped, yes it pays to keep an eye on the winding gear and take a couple of spares just incase, the 3way fridges work well on gas we only took ours out as we hate gas in vans, I still take the fridge i took out of the van camping with me but I run in on gas outside the van if camping locally and in one spots for weeks , They work ok on 12volt but very heavy on power, and work ok on 240v, Gas is the best, but can not run them on that moving, Craig
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 06:53:45 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 11:49:47 PM »
Before you outlay the cash ..   Even if it means you travel a distance to pick it up ..... Even  In not perfect windy / wet weather .
 Hire a Jayco, dealers usualy have a try before you buy demo for a week away or two .. .. Then do the same with a small size  hard wall pop top van,  try to do a Hybrid style aswell, mdc.modcon, rhino etc  . Camplify I think you can hire through, might take a bit of searching ..
This way you will get a better idea of what works for you, and will save the agro / cost of making a wrong choice . . My .02c worth, for us, I wouldnt be going bigger than a 14' > 15 ' unit .

https://www.camplify.com.au/      ... http://campmountaincampers.com.au/  ..
https://www.adventureshack.com.au/  ...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:08:30 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 12:29:41 AM »
Before you outlay the cash ..   Even if it means you travel a distance to pick it up ..... Even  In not perfect windy / wet weather .
 Hire a Jayco, dealers usualy have a try before you buy demo for a week away or two .. .. Then do the same with a small size  hard wall pop top van,  try to do a Hybrid style aswell, mdc.modcon, rhino etc  . Camplify I think you can hire through, might take a bit of searching ..
This way you will get a better idea of what works for you, and will save the agro / cost of making a wrong choice . . My .02c worth, for us, I wouldnt be going bigger than a 14' > 15 ' unit .

Excellent advice. Try before you buy.  :cheers: