Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 687539 times)

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1575 on: February 19, 2015, 09:19:02 AM »
I have 2 of these frames with camera mounts, a similar 'sports' frame without mounts and the lil 250 buzz box, all great fun....

Marschy

« Reply #1576 on: February 19, 2015, 09:24:11 AM »
That's a very nice looking frame. Is it the Scarab Quad X Stealth?

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1577 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »
Some more, the second camera frame is sitting in a tree, im waiting for it to come down.... :-[

Also the Tri, its huge my first attempt at this some years ago...

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1578 on: February 19, 2015, 09:29:25 AM »
That's a very nice looking frame. Is it the Scarab Quad X Stealth?

Its parts of one, good pick!! Its the frame plates, boom holders and motor mounts from a Scarab, as per the first pick.

The rest is stuff Ive made fit over a couple of years.

Now that decent flight control boards are as cheap as chips, I might resurrect the Tri, it has no issues with orientation, its almost 750mm motor to motor.... does have folding arms... ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:32:43 AM by Artie01 »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1579 on: February 19, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »
Sorry to interrupt you guys having your NAZA fest.... jus wanted wanted to share a vid I took last night from my new camera platform. Playing with board tuning but have it pretty close.

Still having the wobbles when descending into the disturbed air, any thoughts on this one? Im told I have to live with it, sideslip to descend or cut those bits out.... I'll probably cut those bits out  ;D

Ere it is... a look around my place.... HD is obviously best if you have the data speed....

Rockin Rollin n Tree Clipin

Need clean air for props. Sideslip or forwards or backwards im afraid. Or slower descents you'll find the sweet spot.

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1580 on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
Its parts of one, good pick!! Its the frame plates, boom holders and motor mounts from a Scarab, as per the first pick.

The rest is stuff Ive made fit over a couple of years.

Now that decent flight control boards are as cheap as chips, I might resurrect the Tri, it has no issues with orientation, its almost 750mm motor to motor.... does have folding arms... ;D
Good quality motors are getting cheaper too, same with ESC's. However, I have a growing aversion to Hobbyking motors. The bearings in particular, no matter about Hobbykings assurances of quality bearings and balanced motors, their motors leave a lot to be desired.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:35:09 PM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #1581 on: February 19, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
How is this for good value.
Carbon Fiber Mini QAV250 C250 Quadcopter Motor 12A Esc Flight Control Prop

Just add a 6 channel radio and receiver for about $60US

FlySky FS-T6/FS T6 2.4G Digital Proportional 6 Channels Transmitter & Receiver

and you are in the air for just under $200 AUD with a wicked little quad racer.

Marschy

« Reply #1582 on: February 19, 2015, 12:33:15 PM »
Got a few emails from Aliexpress today with some good deals. This camera could well be worth a look. A $45 AUD 16 megapixel camera, camcorder with A/V out, it is almost cheap enough that you could think of it like a consumable. If it lasted 5 flights without getting written off, you would be very happy with your purchase I reckon. I'm going to put this on my wish list and grab one when I get an opportunity.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/NEW-Red-Stylish-16MP-2-7-LCD-Digital-Camera-Camcorder-w-AV-Out-SD-Slot-US/411898_2035510083.html?spm=5261.7049941.1998087719.5

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1583 on: February 19, 2015, 03:35:23 PM »
Marshy, I agree completely and Ive found that some of the cheaper motors are not really that cheap once you've changed them a few times.

Way back I used to use the Turnigy cheaper motors but they were horrible, then I switched to some of the rctimer units and they worked ok but when I had a look at these lil Multistar units from hobbyking, I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly they ran, and as a result how quiet they were. Time will tell as to their bearings etc.

Its time to whack the FPV gear on and go exploring......

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1584 on: February 19, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
Need clean air for props. Sideslip or forwards or backwards im afraid. Or slower descents you'll find the sweet spot.

Chris

Thanks Chris, seems to be the case....

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1585 on: February 23, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
Received my DJI GPS for the Alien today - fitted and tested - - Check ... Got the folding GPS stand as well - Also got the mushroom circ pol antennae ... All good and working ...

Now to get out and fly test ....

Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1586 on: February 23, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »
Received my DJI GPS for the Alien today - fitted and tested - - Check ... Got the folding GPS stand as well - Also got the mushroom circ pol antennae ... All good and working ...

I was going to fly today but then the storms arrived and put an end to that.
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Marschy

« Reply #1587 on: February 23, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »

Howdy Steve,

I got my folding GPS stands late last week. The mast is a bit sloppy at the bottom, so I cut a bit of electrostatic plastic as a washer. Actually not a washer, I cut a length about 15mm long, layed it over the opening where the mast fits, then jambed the mast into the base so the electrostatic plastic was pushed in at the same time. Then I trimmed and tidied it up. The mast isn't sloppy anymore.

Cheers, Mark

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1588 on: February 24, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »
Just back from a flight. This is a rare day off of late so I took the opportunity to go to the soccer field and put the quad in the air.
I must say i am getting use to the APM FC and can now fly my quad quite we'll in stab mode. I might have to stretch my limits and try acro mode.
Anyway today I tried the auto mode. Using my wife's Samsung tab pared with my phone for internet access and using an OTG cable for telemetry I put the Quattro in the air then switched the mode on the Tx to auto. The quad did exactly as requested and flew to the 4 wp and RTL. I did loose telemetry for short times but it quickly restored. The OSD did drop out and I an still not sure why that is.
I continued to fly quite aggressively (well as aggressively as stab mode will allow) until the batt was discharged to a point of comfort. It is now on the charger getting ready for the next flight. I will get some more batteries soon. I still need to calibrate the pm so that accurate readings can be taken for the OSD.
For now I am happy with the way things are going. I have started looking at a 250mm craft but will not do anything with that until I return from holidays.
Thanks for the help you have given me to get this thing off the ground. The NAZA is easy compared to this.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

Marschy

« Reply #1589 on: February 24, 2015, 08:30:11 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing someone give 'follow me' mode a crack.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1590 on: February 24, 2015, 10:29:22 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing someone give 'follow me' mode a crack.

I have, it works - it kept a reasonable distance behind me (or maybe I was walking fast), just make sure you are ready to keep walking or are able to turn it off quickly.

From memory it was about 4-5m behind me.  It does cut corners I've noticed so keep those 180 wide, as it did get closer on those.  I was able to put it into a loiter after I was done and landed manually.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1591 on: February 24, 2015, 10:32:56 AM »
Cool, my son has indicated to me that he would like me to give this a go when he is riding his mountain bike.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1592 on: February 24, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
I just tried but failed. Got the quad in the sky and switched to follow me ad it flew into a tree. Had to go home and get a long pole to get it back. Must remember to try this in the middle of an oval not at the side.
Need to make a new arm as one is a little worse for wear. I shall do that after the love of my life has been home for lunch. then I might have another go.
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #1593 on: February 24, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
I've read that you have to have 'Auto' mode working perfectly to get follow me working correctly.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1594 on: February 24, 2015, 01:09:03 PM »
Fixed the arm and went to test and have found a damaged motor! Auto mode worked well. My problem was my phone gps thought I was under the tree so it told the quad to go there.
I think I may have bent the shaft ever so slightly so my motor does not spin as freely as before.
I have ordered 2 more from eBay
They will take a couple of weeks to get to me.
So there will be a rest from flying this quad for now.
Will put the dji450 in the air if I need a fix. Got a trip planned in a couple of weeks so will take it away with me.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1595 on: February 25, 2015, 11:16:12 PM »
Hi all,

I got back from my little trip late on Monday and my daughter has given me her cold and out of action the last couple of days, grrr....

Anyway I've had some time today to work on my issue of lift with the CF tricopter.  Below tests are with the same battery at around 11.6V.  The bench tests use my old wiring harness, while the new harness is on the CF tricopter.

Firstly I've weighed everything again....  So it looks like I have a AUW of 1.3 kg (less than 950g without the gimbal and camera) with the new scales.  I've managed to confirm that I'm getting 890g of lift per motor at 13A with the 10x4.5 props - not as much as I thought I'd get but it's acceptable, was hoping for 1kg.  I'll try a fresh battery tomorrow to see if I can get that last 110g.  At full throttle (890g per motor) that should give me a 2.1:1 power ratio, this should be plenty.

However I have noted that I'm only using 24A for a hover and 27A at max throttle when in the air.  At 24 /3 = 8A I get just under 500g of lift, this gives me a lift ratio of 1.16:1, so it explains why it is finding it hard to keep it hovering.  At 27 / 3 = 9A, I'm getting around 600g of lift, so it explains why I can get off the ground but as soon as I loose voltage it struggles and comes down.

So I'm starting to think that my previous 18A figure for a hover must have been incorrect on the old frame - although flight time does match - so I'm not sure.

I'm thinking you are right Mark, my next move is to replace the ESC 18 AWG with 16 AWG to reduce voltage drop when under load.  I'm also thinking that if I move the ESC closer to the frame I'll get less voltage drop on the DC side, AC side will lengthen but AC is less susceptible to voltage drop over distance.  This will mean that I will not get the benefit of using the inside of the tubes unless I put it under the frame or I might run the signal wires through the inside instead.  If I move them to the frame then they wont get the additional cooling from the air from the props.  I could try to use 14 AWG instead to keep the DC side longer but 2 lots of it wont fit inside the square tube with the bolt.  I wish I could find 12mm x 12mm CF square tube.

I'll also redo the ESC calibration to make sure it knows what my min and max input signal is.

Once I've gotten my hobby mini table saw (inverted dremel with minisaw attachment) up and running I'll also replace the frame (currently 1.5mm CF) with 1mm CF to help lighten it some more - I dont want to cut any more stuff until I have the right tools up and running.

To work this out I've had to weigh every component to ensure my figures are right.  I'm pleased that the CF square tube and frame are lighter than the wooden frame - it was doing my head in.  I'll weigh some of the wooden components again on the new scales to make sure I'm comparing apples with apples.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:40:07 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1596 on: February 26, 2015, 07:35:27 AM »
Took the Alien for its flight test yesterday.. It swirled around with almost no stick control... Forgot to do a compass calibration so that might be the culprit .. hard landing lost a prop and video tx.
Maybe later today...
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1597 on: February 26, 2015, 07:46:46 AM »
Took the quad for a scoot this morning, zipped through some trees, flipped a few times landed on the deck and put it away.... no issues..... you guys are into way too complex stuff!!!

One note, I left my battery's sitting on a bench on the deck overnight (undercover), wtf would eat battery's??

I'm thinking rats after the seed we use to feed parrots.... wrecked 2 battery covers and marked up the cells, I'll heat shrink em and see how they go... mongrels....

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1598 on: February 26, 2015, 09:14:20 PM »
you guys are into way too complex stuff!!!

Hi Artie01,

I still have my mini quad and still log a flight or two each week on it.  It is very robust and has hit lots of things now, the worst I've needed so far is a little bit of epoxy and fixed a GPS. I've just been focusing on my Tricopter which I agree is more complex as it is going to be used for Aerial Photography, automated searching, automation testing, aerial mapping, etc.....  Note not all at once, only one tasking at a time :-) Also looking at object tracking in the future.

I've redone most things on my list for the tricopter (wires now bigger, ESC's soldered, items remounted on frame, etc) with some luck I'll be able to run some tests tomorrow afternoon :-)  Hopefully the weather holds and I can take it for a flight if my issues are resolved!!

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1599 on: February 26, 2015, 09:24:16 PM »
I reckon you'll be on a winner with shorter DC cables Chris.

I should get my replacement mini APM any day now for my ZMR250 mini quad. It's all ready to go short of the new flight control board.

I also bought another mini APM for the Trifecta mini tri-copter at the same time. Now this one I am itching to have a play with. I've got everything for it, just have to finish it off. I'm going to use one of the dodgy APM Power modules because I found an article that describes how to get them to work properly using only 3 wires from the module. The article says you can still get voltage and current readings using the method they describe.