Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 688202 times)

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1550 on: February 13, 2015, 04:14:02 PM »

Is that what you are doing Crispy?

Pretty much. Giving myself options with which device I happen to have with me.

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1551 on: February 13, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »
It needs to be simple for the wifey to fly as well. Day 1. 

A FW450 and bits would be no trouble. Just not as simple?  From my reading.

NAZA m mode v's phantom mode. A little more forgiving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can always come over to Mandrake land - I've got a modified Phantom FC40 ( which is now really a Phantom P2 ) ...

More than willing to give a demo - Just not this weekend as I'm playing lawn bowls on Sat and off to Mt Gambier on Sunday ...

One night / evening next week if ya like ...
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1552 on: February 13, 2015, 10:22:35 PM »
Another productive day, but not as much as I would like.....

I've manged to get most of the wiring wrapped in mesh guard so it looks nicer.  Have to say mesh is good and bad, I've had to be careful as it can put extra strain on the small df13 connectors (the mesh is less bendy).  Still to do the rear boom in mesh but this is the ESC I'll steal power from once I fix the power issue, so dont want to have to redo stuff later on.

I've fixed the buzzer, it wasn't working, only noticed when I did the ESC Calibration.  Seems that the wiring was dodgy.  Positive broke the other day so I fixed it, what I didnt know was that ground was also broken.  It's now very noisy.

I did cut the CF for the gimbal and FPV camera, just haven't drilled the holes for it.  Once that's done it will be easy to mount the gimbal.

I've mounted the FPV transmitter.  I've posted to DIY drones about my interesting BEC issue.  I've been reading that I'll need to insert a zener diode and capacitor into the servo rail, so I'm kinda hoping it fixes the issue.  If it does I do not know why they don't provide it as part of the kit, seems so simple.

I have discovered with the Telemetry radio and the FPV 5.8Ghz transmitter the 2nd GPS wont fit on the transmitter post.  Looks like I'll have to relocate it to one of the front arms or the CF Gimbal mount.

So this weekend I should get it ready for a Monday flight.

Still to do:
 - Drill holes in CF Gimbal mount
 - Remove noisy 2A UBEC and mount low RF noise 3A UBEC (will power FPV camera and servo rail if zener diode doesn't work)
 - Fit 5V converted Minim and wiring harness
 - Fit 2nd GPS
 - Fit zener diode

Some pics:

Chris
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:51:47 PM by CBRK »
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1553 on: February 15, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
I received the Blue Series 30A ESC's yesterday from my friendly Auspost contractor that delivers on Saturday (love that man). I'll be replacing the ESC's on my X-mode Alien very shortly, probably tomorrow, then I'll try to retune and see if the problem with the throttle going to 100% by itself is fixed. If not, I'll capture the telemetry data.

The myswag get together at Goolwa is coming up very soon and I need to do some work on my van. I've got to sort out an E306 (or E036) error on the solar regulator, which I believe is telling me that the panels are disconnected. The regulator is a BP Solar which appears to be a re-badged Stecca.

I've been busy helping get some jobs done on my brothers pop-top caravan and haven't had much time for the quadcopters the last two weekends. We fit a water pump and tap yesterday, and a toolbox, new gas bottle holder and a 20 litre jerry can holder this morning. 41 degrees yesterday and 38 today, lovely. We went hammer and tong from 8 o'clock in the morning until lunch time yesterday and today and now I am ready for a siesta.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:34:43 PM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1554 on: February 15, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »
Lucky Marschy I've had some time to spend on mine :-)  Sounds like you were busy and in a bloody hot environment.

I'm a bit behind schedule but I'll get back into it tonight once my daughter has gone to bed.

My list of tasks was:
 - Drill holes in CF Gimbal mount
 - Remove noisy 2A UBEC and mount low RF noise 3A UBEC (will power FPV camera and servo rail if zener diode doesn't work)
 - Fit 5V converted Minim and wiring harness
 - Fit 2nd GPS
 - Fit zener diode

As can be seen I've managed to completed a number of them done.  I've decided to put a 7V-15V camera on instead of the FS PilotHD, time for my 700TVL camera to be used.  Since that is the case the UBEC now only powers the servo rail, so a 3A is overkill but I had added it before I decided on switching to the other camera.

I've converted the Minim to 5V and added some heatsinks to keep the temps down.

So tonight's task is to mount the camera and wire it up to the minim and complete & fit the wiring harness.

I've got both the GPS's working which is nice, so now I have GPS1, GPS2 and the Pixhawk EKF to ensure it stays put when it goes into loiter (the EKF will mean that if a small GPS glitch occurs, the EKF filter will override it and I stay in place.  If a big glitch happens then it should use the 2nd GPS).

Pic of 2 GPS's (will be uploaded soon):

I've found that my order of servo connectors from china is takings it's time so I've had to put an order in for 20 from a local Aus supplier.  Grrrr, I should have just enough to finish my tasks tonight.

I've also found the 1mm CF camera mount is too flimsy, so I'll have to cut and drill a 1.5mm reinforcement tomorrow, the other alternative is to add some 10mmx10mm CF square tube to brace it.  Not sure which one I'll do.

Oh, the capacitor didnt work, so not happy....  I'll try a bigger capacitor tomorrow, but that will be another trip to jaycar....  I tried putting to 200uf in parallel (so they add - they are the opposite to resisters)

Chris
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:57:14 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1555 on: February 15, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »
So tonight's task is to mount the camera and wire it up to the minim and complete & fit the wiring harness.

So I've got the MinimOSD wiring harness done and tested the camera works with a direct connection on the signal pin - damn this pic is so much better than the PilotHD - much easier to focus too.

So tomorrow morning should see the:
 - Pixhawk to MinimOSD cable (hoping I dont stuff up any connectors, it will be close - I have 7 left and need 4 to do this)
 - cut the reinforcement 1.5mm CF plate
 - plug in the gimbal mount
 - configure the gimbal mount
 - mount the camera (now on a board that can easily be zip tied to the frame - will work out if I like this camera).

With most things attached I've done a quick CG test, I'm now 1cm forward of where I'd like it to be ideally, I think with the 700TVL camera and extra CF plate it might go forwards another 0.5 cm, so I'm very happy with it.  I might try and bring the gimbal mount back another 1cm (I've got about 2.5cm clearance but I want to give some space between the battery tray and the gimbal) when I cut and drill the reinforcement plate.  Will hopefully offset the FPV camera weight.

I'll post up some pics once it's done.

I forgot to post a pic of the MinimOSD with the heatsinks:

I'm feeling confident tomorrow will be the maiden flight of the CF tricopter.  Fingers crossed.....  Might even be able to do a YT video if it goes well, or maybe a YT video will happen if it doesn't go so well.....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1556 on: February 16, 2015, 04:51:50 AM »
Chris, If you run out of servo male sockets, these Jaycar PCB pin sockets are identical. They're just at Jaycars stupid prices. $5.50 for 25.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HP1260

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1557 on: February 16, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »
Chris, If you run out of servo male sockets, these Jaycar PCB pin sockets are identical. They're just at Jaycars stupid prices. $5.50 for 25.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HP1260

Thanks for that, didn't know they stocked them. Ouch very pricey, like most jaycar prices.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1558 on: February 16, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »
Well got my maiden flight in....  Very windy here so it was a short session.

AUW: 1750g
Battery: 3s 5000mah

It started off badly, I had three issues, the first was that despite checking every control surface twice it seems that I got my pitch control the wrong way around, the second was the tail motor was spinning the wrong direction (very distinctive sound) and I had forgotten to reverse on the yaw output.  A few flips as I ironed out each issue and all was good.

Once those were fixed I was able to take flight.  It seems that I need nearly 60% to take off, which is a bit higher than the previous frame.  The other odd bit is that the throttle seemed very sluggish.  I initially got upto about 10m with no issues and then I tried alt hold and loiter, both worked really well (HDOP of 1.4 and 1.2 - so pretty damn good).

After a bit throttle seemed to get worse, I was needing 100% just to get off the ground.  I think I turned down the RC Feel value too low.

I think my issue is that the front two motors are maxing out to balance the frame and so as the battery voltage drops its harder to keep aloft, so I need to loose some weight off the front.  I'll firstly remove the FPV camera I put on an replace with a lighter model (should reduce around 30g of weight), next I will do another battery tray so I can place the battery upto 7cm further back.  Since the battery tray will move back the camera mount can move back a few more cm's.  This should result in a CoG where I planned it.  At present it is nearly 5cm further forwards of where I planned it.

I will also swap out the 1.5 FR4 Mast (holds the Telemetry radio and FPV Tx) for a 1mm CF plate.  Should give me another 10-15g

If I move the mount back then I can drop the 1mm plate that is holding the gimbal and just used the 1.5mm plate.  That should give me a few more grams.

So since I produce approx 3kg of thrust, and I should have a new AUW of just under 1.7kg.  I'll be where i want to be.

I think my postman has a sick sense of humor.  My 3rd axis gimbal stuff arrived as I was heading out to do the maiden flight......  Grrrr, more mods..

Odd my AUW is very similar to the plywood version (1.3kg +350g for battery - 1.65kg).  Goes to show that most of my weight wasn't the frame but the stuff I bolt onto it :-(

Lots of tidy up work to do to manage the cables a bit better.

Video will have to wait, I accidentally bumped the gimbal on one of the flips, it turned the gimbal 360, so it was stuttering to try and fix it.  Will get some more later in the week.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:09:07 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1559 on: February 16, 2015, 05:03:20 PM »
I also have a few packets of 11x4.7 props so I might give them a go too to get that little bit extra of thrust, I'll measure them tomorrow to see if it will make much of a difference.  I'm hoping they give me an extra 100 or 200g per motor.  I would like to get back to the 2:1 ratio if I can.

I'll also put in an order for a 4s battery since everything can take 4s (well motors are rated for 3s but there seems to be good evidence that they can 4s).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:14:18 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #1560 on: February 16, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »
http://www.altronics.com.au/ altronics often have better quality and choice than jaycar. And thanks for test flight options. Local hobby shop has a demo. I'll have a play with that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-- 2012 Prado D4D  --  '05 OutbackCamper  --  VK3BQ  --  HFRadioClub Selcal 0172  --  VKS737 Selcal 0172 --
http://www.vk3bq.com/

Marschy

« Reply #1561 on: February 16, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »
I swapped over the original ESC's that I got with my first quad kit than were on the X-mode Alien with the 30A HK Blue Series today. Wish I had of done this earlier. This is the first time since I've had all this kit that the motors have all spun up evenly when they are armed. I'm hoping this has fixed the throttle issue. I'll test it next weekend.

I stuffed my mini APM by connecting the new HK micro power distribution module without checking how the pins were connected first. The motors still arm, but the GPS doesn't power up. If I disconnect the battery and power the mini APM through the USB, the GPS powers up and works! There is probably a component that has burnt out, but nothing sticks out. Time to get the multimeter out, but I reckon it will end up in the bin.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:52:12 PM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #1562 on: February 16, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »
I initially got upto about 10m with no issues and then I tried alt hold and loiter, both worked really well (HDOP of 1.4 and 1.2 - so pretty damn good).
How many sats is the dual GPS setup picking up Chris?

I get 1.66 with 8 sats.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:51:02 PM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1563 on: February 16, 2015, 11:09:33 PM »
How many sats is the dual GPS setup picking up Chris?

I get 1.66 with 8 sats.

Hi Mark,

I had 10 on both at one stage, but it seems 10 on one and 9 on the other is fairly consistent.  I think I saw it jump to 12 at one point but I cant be sure till I review the log.  It was rock solid in it's loiter, it barely moved in the wind.

May have just been an ideal day for the GPS RF signal, will find out tomorrow when I try again.

It will look at the HDOP of each GPS and use the best one, it switches between the two as required, it would be really cool if the two chips could talk to each other, but sadly it doesn't work that way.  If it thinks there is a glitch it will use the EKF filter to work out which one to use.  I have noticed that the odd glitch occurs, but not at the same time, so on the APM that could cause it to start moving to it if the glitch is small enough (big ones are filtered out).

Inside the house the GPS glitch tone goes off every few minutes, the pixhawk is much noisier than the APM.  The arming button I have to read up on some more (doesnt always work, I must be missing something), very frustrating that I have to hit that each time I need to arm the copter.

I'm amazed that the CoG affected the performance as much as it did, hoping it will be a quick fix tomorrow so I can try again in the early afternoon.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1564 on: February 17, 2015, 05:04:17 PM »
Hmmmm, something is not quite right.  Seems I need almost full throttle after a minute or two on 10x4.5's and it's okish on 11x4.7's for the duration of the flight.

I'm sure my PM is not calibrated correctly as my batts where giving a warning (10.5V) but when I charged them at home they were only taking in 2000mah and 2500mah (assume a 10% loss on charging so around - 1800mah and 2250mah consumed).

I'll need to recalibrate the PM, I wonder if that is limiting the thrust it's generating.....  As the frame is only slightly heavier than my ply frame (by approx 100g - not sure why yet - trying to trim some weight)  I'll try again tomorrow with a properly calibrated PM (both V's and I's).  If still an issue I'll think about some different motors.

Marschy, how are finding the emax motors?  I'm thinking of trying some.  ALso it appears I was getting 12 sats regularly and 13 on occasions.  The other gps was around 10 sats most of the time.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1565 on: February 17, 2015, 05:37:49 PM »
Hmmmm, something is not quite right.  Seems I need almost full throttle after a minute or two on 10x4.5's and it's okish on 11x4.7's for the duration of the flight.

I'm sure my PM is not calibrated correctly as my batts where giving a warning (10.5V) but when I charged them at home they were only taking in 2000mah and 2500mah (assume a 10% loss on charging so around - 1800mah and 2250mah consumed).

I'll need to recalibrate the PM, I wonder if that is limiting the thrust it's generating.....  As the frame is only slightly heavier than my ply frame (by approx 100g - not sure why yet - trying to trim some weight)  I'll try again tomorrow with a properly calibrated PM (both V's and I's).  If still an issue I'll think about some different motors.

Marschy, how are finding the emax motors?  I'm thinking of trying some.  ALso it appears I was getting 12 sats regularly and 13 on occasions.  The other gps was around 10 sats most of the time.

Regards,

Chris
The only thing I can comment on the emax motors so far Chris, is the thrust tests I have done on them. The motors for the mini quad (MT1806 2280kv) already have a well earned reputation and the thrust tests I did were very closely matched to the specs posted on the eMaxmodel.com website. I got 374 from memory out of a 3S with 5030 gemfans. The thrust data on the website suggests 380g with same size carbon fibre props, so I was pretty bloody happy with my results.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the MT3506 650kv's are probably going to give similarly accurate results on the Alien 560. I haven't put them on the thrust tester, but just a wet finger test (so to speak) had me thinking, damn, these are gunna be good. I did an ESC calibration followed by running the throttle up to 100% and had to put quite a bit of weight on top of the Alien 560 to keep the one motor from causing me trouble. I was most impressed. If one motor could potentially tip my nearly 2.5 kilo quad over, imagine what 4 motors running are going to do. I've got to bite the bullet and put the Alien in the air. But I can't see that happening for a few weeks yet.

The MT3510 600kv would be a beautiful endurance motor, flight time wise I mean. 1760 grams of thrust on a 4S setup, for a lot less money than t-motors, which are bloody good, but bloody expensive as well.

I've got to admit, I like the emax's.

Edit: Oops, forgot to mention the MT2206 1500kv's, Over 600 grams at 12 amps with 7x3.8 APC. And still room to improve as they are rated up to 8 inch props.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:43:50 PM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #1566 on: February 17, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »

Regards,

Chris
Haven't you made that thrust tester yet Chris?

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1567 on: February 17, 2015, 10:19:55 PM »
Haven't you made that thrust tester yet Chris?

Sure have, even posted results for the MultiStar Elites, I'll be testing my DT750's tomorrow.

I will also be doing the PM calibration because according to my chargers the batteries were at 11.5V and 11.6V.  My pixhawk was singing out that it was down to 10.5V at load and it was reporting around 10.8V at rest, so it was reporting a much lower level, there was still some life in them.  Was getting around 5-6 mins of flight, so if I get another 3-4 mins that would be better.  Still much less than my 15-16 mins I was getting. 

I really need to work out how my frame is 100g heavier than the plywood frame.  The CF plates (compared to the plywood) are all lighter, the arms are the same weight, only additional item is the 2nd GPS.  I've used a lighter UBEC (by a few grams).  I've used nylon bolts instead of metal, there is less wire so all up it should be less.  I've used the same motors, the gimbal hasnt changed (yet) so I'm at a loss as to why it can be heavier.

I'm thinking it could be the ESC's as I've not configured them - only thought of this tonight, so I may need to try that next and also consider flashing them.  It's the only item that I didnt bring over from the old tricopter.

The only other change is that the arms are only 37.5 cms long compared to 42cms for the 12mmx12mm pinewood.

Only other change is the masts, I've got a piece of FR4 (should only be 20g) instead of two small pine square.

I also fail to understand how 100g would make this much difference in flight performance, I'd expect maybe a loss of 2 mins of flight time.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1568 on: February 18, 2015, 06:16:28 AM »
Sure have, even posted results for the MultiStar Elites, I'll be testing my DT750's tomorrow.

I will also be doing the PM calibration because according to my chargers the batteries were at 11.5V and 11.6V.  My pixhawk was singing out that it was down to 10.5V at load and it was reporting around 10.8V at rest, so it was reporting a much lower level, there was still some life in them.  Was getting around 5-6 mins of flight, so if I get another 3-4 mins that would be better.  Still much less than my 15-16 mins I was getting. 

I really need to work out how my frame is 100g heavier than the plywood frame.  The CF plates (compared to the plywood) are all lighter, the arms are the same weight, only additional item is the 2nd GPS.  I've used a lighter UBEC (by a few grams).  I've used nylon bolts instead of metal, there is less wire so all up it should be less.  I've used the same motors, the gimbal hasnt changed (yet) so I'm at a loss as to why it can be heavier.

I'm thinking it could be the ESC's as I've not configured them - only thought of this tonight, so I may need to try that next and also consider flashing them.  It's the only item that I didnt bring over from the old tricopter.

The only other change is that the arms are only 37.5 cms long compared to 42cms for the 12mmx12mm pinewood.

Only other change is the masts, I've got a piece of FR4 (should only be 20g) instead of two small pine square.

I also fail to understand how 100g would make this much difference in flight performance, I'd expect maybe a loss of 2 mins of flight time.
It could be a voltage drop issue. What size wire are you using for powering up the ESC's?

When I swapped over the ESC's on the X-mode Alien on Monday, I thought I'd try and save a bit of time by soldering bullet connectors onto the end of 14AWG wire that was about 1 metre long. The 14AWG wire was soldered directly to the ESC's. Plan was to calibrate the ESC's then cut off the length I needed to hook the ESC up to the power distribution board on the quad. I thought this should save me some time having to solder bullet connectors onto the ends of the power supply wires on the ESC each time.

I connected the bullet connectors to an adapter to plug into an XT60 battery connection, the ESC servo connection to a receiver, nothing from the ESC's, no tune, nada.

I checked the voltage at the ESC and it read over 11.7 volts, but I reckon there was simply not enough oomph to fire up the ESC and motors due to voltage drop. I trimmed the wires to the approximate length I needed to hook the ESC's up to the pdb and bingo, they started to sing.

To cut a long story short, I think you will find that the thrust test will most likely give you the answers you are after with the problem you are having with the motors not firing on all cylinders. It could be voltage drop, it could be the ESC's are going over the max burst amperage. They really are a handy piece of kit.

I tested my emax 2206 1500kv's with 5 inch props and got similar results to your 10 inch props, simply no power coming out of the motors.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1569 on: February 18, 2015, 06:24:17 PM »
It could be a voltage drop issue. What size wire are you using for powering up the ESC's?

When I swapped over the ESC's on the X-mode Alien on Monday, I thought I'd try and save a bit of time by soldering bullet connectors onto the end of 14AWG wire that was about 1 metre long. The 14AWG wire was soldered directly to the ESC's. Plan was to calibrate the ESC's then cut off the length I needed to hook the ESC up to the power distribution board on the quad. I thought this should save me some time having to solder bullet connectors onto the ends of the power supply wires on the ESC each time.

I connected the bullet connectors to an adapter to plug into an XT60 battery connection, the ESC servo connection to a receiver, nothing from the ESC's, no tune, nada.

I checked the voltage at the ESC and it read over 11.7 volts, but I reckon there was simply not enough oomph to fire up the ESC and motors due to voltage drop. I trimmed the wires to the approximate length I needed to hook the ESC's up to the pdb and bingo, they started to sing.

To cut a long story short, I think you will find that the thrust test will most likely give you the answers you are after with the problem you are having with the motors not firing on all cylinders. It could be voltage drop, it could be the ESC's are going over the max burst amperage. They really are a handy piece of kit.

I tested my emax 2206 1500kv's with 5 inch props and got similar results to your 10 inch props, simply no power coming out of the motors.

Hi Marschy,

Apologies, it's a long post.

I'm using 16 AWG, which is the same as the wires on the old tricopter - about 10-15cm less distance on each connection.  The only difference is I left the smaller pigtails on (approx 10 cm), I'd say they would be 18 AWG sized, I'm thinking I'll remove them and replace them with 16AWG to be sure.  I have a bunch of 14 AWG so I can always try using it instead but it will be harder to fit them inside the arms.  Having said that I checked the resistance compared to the old harness and I was getting 0.3 ohms on both old and new, so there doesn't appear to be a dry joint in the way either.  One difference is that I used to do a short DC line (3s) to the ESC and the long run to the motor, now I do a long run (2 wires - 30cm) to the ESC and do the AC as the short run (3 wires approx 10cm).  I think the AC lines are 18 AWG, I might replace them as I did on the other harness.  Also a quick voltage test, only 0.2v of drop from battery to ESC (no load).

I did some static tethered tests and outdoor flight tests today.  I reconfigured the ESC's, turns out I had a few odd settings which weren't helping.  I recalibrated the current and voltage settings on the PM.  I max out at about 28 amps, so only 9A per motor - for 10x4.5.  For 11x4.5 I max out at around 32A.  These were via the PM and also a separate power meter.

I started doing a thrust test (10x4.5) but just as I get to 50% throttle the scales packed it in.  No not as i was setting up, dead in the middle of my testing - maybe my motors are so good they broke the scales :-).  So I will go and buy a new pair of scales tomorrow.  What I did get was at 9.5A I was generating around 800g of thrust at around 50% throttle which is pretty good.  As I started to spool up to a higher level the scales stopped working.  I was drawing around 14A at full throttle but no idea of how much thrust it was generating, but I would say I hit the 1kg no probs.  It would explain why at 9A (that is close to 100% throttle on the pixhawk), I'm having trouble getting off the ground once the battery is loosing a few volts, as 3*800 is only 2.4 Kg of lift, so it would be less than that - at 1.5kg AUW I can see why it struggles.

Interesting is that via the Pixhawk I am getting 28A as max for the 10x4.5 while flying (so only 9A per motor), this would imply that I have spare capacity as I can get the ESC and motors to 14A on the bench......  The motors do get a bit warm at that level but well below the 200W level.

Static test at of 11x4.5 at 28A gave me a duration of around 9-10 mins, the 10x4.5 at 22A gave me around 13 mins.  On my old frame I was getting around 18A for a hover and was getting 15mins of real flying time if not a bit longer.

On the flight test I took the camera off and it made a huge difference on 10x4.5 - I could take off at 60% or less throttle with a fresh battery and after 8 mins still hover at 80%.  I think my issue is largely a weight issue based upon this.  The camera would only be 40-60g at most, this makes me think my extra 100g is really affecting me.  I was finding I could fly until the battery got to 4200mah but after that it struggled to stay in the air.

Plan is to swap that FR4 out as it is heavy compared to the CF.  Still struggling to understand why it is so heavy, it shouldn't be.  I'll also order some more 1mm CF and I'll loose another 15g if I redo the plates.  On paper the wooden tri should be 50-100g heavier but for some reason its the other way around....

I also tinkered with some of the settings, such as hover throttle, etc.....

I may have to take a few days break as I'm on standby to head up to the NSW north coast.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:43:08 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1570 on: February 18, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »
Hi all,

A reminder for everyone, make sure you threadlock all the stuff you get.  My gimbal mount while I was flying today looked odd - it was fine when I took off, when I brought it back to the ground I noticed that one of the factory bolts had undone (lucky the 2nd was still in firmly - 1st one was still sitting there so easy fix).  I've since removed all factory bolts and threadlocked them all.  I normally do it for all items I attach myself but forgot about the factory set bolts.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1571 on: February 19, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »
Sorry to interrupt you guys having your NAZA fest.... jus wanted wanted to share a vid I took last night from my new camera platform. Playing with board tuning but have it pretty close.

Still having the wobbles when descending into the disturbed air, any thoughts on this one? Im told I have to live with it, sideslip to descend or cut those bits out.... I'll probably cut those bits out  ;D

Ere it is... a look around my place.... HD is obviously best if you have the data speed....

Rockin Rollin n Tree Clipin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:47:56 AM by Artie01 »

Marschy

« Reply #1572 on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »
Sorry to interrupt you guys having your NAZA fest.... jus wanted wanted to share a vid I took last night from my new camera platform. Playing with board tuning but have it pretty close.

Still having the wobbles when descending into the disturbed air, any thoughts on this one? Im told I have to live with it, sideslip to descend or cut those bits out.... I'll probably cut those bits out  ;D

Ere it is... a look around my place.... HD is obviously best if you have the data speed....

Rockin Rollin n Tree Clipin

Lovely place for flying, Is it possible for you to post some pictures of your quad? I'd love to see your setup.

Cheers, Mark

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1573 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »
Howdy Mark, surely.... parts are from Mulitwiicopter.com, eBay and HobbyKing, mostly HobbyKing because their aussie warehouse is only a few minutes up the road from me. I don't like to wait.....

I buy these bits from MultiWii..

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1574 on: February 19, 2015, 09:06:07 AM »
that was an 'insert pics test'.... that works....I'll take some shots of the frame and put them up in a minute.