Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 688095 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1525 on: February 10, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:12:21 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Marschy

« Reply #1526 on: February 11, 2015, 09:24:35 AM »
Here is a link to the Inaugural Flying Funanza. Everyone is welcome to participate. We hope to arrange another event in Spring for those who can't make this one. The Spring venue is yet to be decided, but will hopefully be flying things friendly.

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1527 on: February 11, 2015, 11:07:49 AM »
Took the mini quad for a blast this morning (ZMR250), tuned the board to allow stooopid aerobatics, rolls and flips were extremely fast and great fun.... but that tree jumped out in front of it (a very tall one :().

One broken arm, luckily spares are already on the bench, Ill have it flying again before dinner tonight.... so much fun blasting holes in the sky, these are tough lil buggers.

Ive had this for around a year now and this is the first damage done to the frame after MUCH abuse. I ordered a spare set of arms when I originally bought the frame, had begun to think this was a waste of time.

Currently have 4 machines flying although I rarely use the Tri anymore, Tri, ZMR250, a Scarab camera ship and a Scarab sports frame. All good fun.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1528 on: February 11, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »
Well another productive day, I've mounted the motors, the tilt mechanism, the landing gear, wiring harness, the arming switch and the VTx / Telem mount.

Pics to follow soon:

Tonight I plan to mount the electronics for some ground testing tomorrow, with a maiden now looking very good for Friday morning.

Tomorrow I'll cut up the 1.5mm CF for the gimbal mount and mount the 2 axis gimbal, I was kinda hoping that if I hold off on that part the 3rd axis controller and gimbal motor would arrive.....  No such luck.

I also plan to redo the tilt mechanism, and I'll paint it all black.  The other change will be the signal wires from the ESC, they didnt fit inside the booms (really need 12mm x 12mm boom), so I'll wrap them in black mesh but that will happen a bit later.

CG is looking good, its about 2/3rd back of the main plate at present without a battery, with the battery it goes a bit further back, the gimbal and camera should even that out.  I can also slide the battery a bit further forward if required to even it out.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:12:15 PM by CBRK »
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1529 on: February 12, 2015, 08:48:17 PM »
Well the Pixhawk is like the APM all over again... Sigh.....  The Pixhawk is made up of two boards the IO (Input / Output) and the FMU (Flight Management Unit) board.  I should clarify, I'm running the ArduCopter fw and not the Pixhawk specific fw.

Firstly it took me an hour to work out that power management is weird, so I had wired it all up and the only IO board would fire up via the power module, yet both would if I powered it via the USB.  Some reading and it seems that this happens if the servo rail gets more than 5.7V, it shuts down the FMU board to protect it.  I checked each of my BEC's from the ESC's and they are putting out pretty much dead on 5V, hmmmmm.  I popped all the + pins and suddenly it worked, the FMU fired up.  Grrrr.  So I've now used a separate BEC which is putting out 5.3V and it works, go figure.....  Can't work out why it doesn't like the BEC from the ESC's.  Good news is that if I pull the Power Module it is powered by the BEC.

I can arm it and have the motors all responding correctly :-)  Pain in the arse is the safety button.....  After you arm it via the transmitter you have to push the safety button.

GPS lock is quick and pretty good indoors.  It's using two compasses so far - both calibrated.  2nd GPS will go on tomorrow.

Telemetry link is working.

I didn't get the camera gimbal mount cut today either.  I'll do that tomorrow morning.

Also need to install the FPV gear once the camera mount is installed.

My big issue is that my tail servo is not responding, grrrr.  I had to clean up so my dog can reclaim his downstairs area (I had hijacked it as my study was too cramped for a build), so tomorrow's maiden flight is looking doubtful.  More likely to be Monday.

Pics of the pretty flashing lights:

Chris
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:55:45 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1530 on: February 12, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
Oh, since the dog kicked me out, I've also got Mission Planner to display an FPV image on the HUD location.  I have an RC305 receiver and I have this plugged into an EASYCAP video capture card, so now if I have the PC with me I can see the FPV output both on my PC and on my monitor mounted on top of the receiver.

I'll post up a small build post in the next few days.  Pretty happy, it only took me a few minutes to get stuff happening :-)

Only tested it on a NTSC output (my mini quad uses NTSC due to the camera I have mounted).  Will try PAL tomorrow once the Tri FPV gear is mounted on the new Tri frame.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1531 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:42 PM »
Sound like you are having fun with the FC. You might want to try putting one power from one ESC back in and try that.  I have herd of things like more than one ESC providing power can cause problems. 
Keep us informed.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1532 on: February 12, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »
Sound like you are having fun with the FC. You might want to try putting one power from one ESC back in and try that.  I have herd of things like more than one ESC providing power can cause problems. 
Keep us informed.
Regards
Crispy

Yep tried that, was one of my first things, I strip it down to just one ESC as I'd heard the same thing (never had any trouble myself - till now).  No dice at the time, but having said that since then I've done some reading and it seems that if the compass cal isn't done then it may not boot up the FMU (it wasn't done when I initially had everything plugged in), so I'll try putting one back on and see what happens, as I'd like to keep the external BEC for the FPV gear.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress, hoping that my CF tri will get off the ground shortly :-)

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1533 on: February 13, 2015, 05:34:50 AM »
Are they linear or switching BEC's on the ESC's Chris? Switching ESC's can be noisy.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1534 on: February 13, 2015, 05:38:30 AM »
I think it is the switching ESC that gives the issue if more than one is connected.
Time for bed now. I'll be up at the crack of noon.
Crispy.

Marschy

« Reply #1535 on: February 13, 2015, 05:43:27 AM »
Switching regulators by themself can be noisy, not uncommon to put a linear one after the switching reg so the linear is more efficient because it is dropping less voltage and not heating up as much.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1536 on: February 13, 2015, 08:35:04 AM »
Are they linear or switching BEC's on the ESC's Chris? Switching ESC's can be noisy.
ESC BEC is linear, external one im using is switching.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #1537 on: February 13, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »
Wifey gave me permission (i gather she didn't actually appreciate whats shes given me permission for) for a quad copter, as long as it has video capability.

i think ive decided on the Phantom 2 (version 3 the new upgraded one),

but this is the decision?

get the model with the H3-3D gopro gimbal as i have go pros and they provide the best video/pics (only $1099 with the DJI feb sale)

or

get the vision + with the in built camera and FPV mode using smart phone? could be "more interesting" seeing live what im flying over , but less quality? ($1429 with the Feb DJI sale) and the need for a phone and a link booster and and and :D

what would you do?
-- 2012 Prado D4D  --  '05 OutbackCamper  --  VK3BQ  --  HFRadioClub Selcal 0172  --  VKS737 Selcal 0172 --
http://www.vk3bq.com/

Marschy

« Reply #1538 on: February 13, 2015, 12:17:40 PM »
Wifey gave me permission (i gather she didn't actually appreciate whats shes given me permission for) for a quad copter, as long as it has video capability.

get the model with the H3-3D gopro gimbal as i have go pros and they provide the best video/pics (only $1099 with the DJI feb sale)

or

get the vision + with the in built camera and FPV mode using smart phone? could be "more interesting" seeing live what im flying over , but less quality? ($1429 with the Feb DJI sale) and the need for a phone and a link booster and and and :D

what would you do?
Go for the quad with the GoPro gimbal. FPV via smart phone uses a wifi connection which has limited range compared to a 5.8Ghz video transmitter. Plus the wifi connection will probably mean than the remote control transmitter that comes with the quad will be 5.8Ghz and the camera will talk to your phone on 2.4Ghz. This will mean if you want to get a different transmitter you will be limited with what you can get. Just ask Mandrake.

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #1539 on: February 13, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »
Go for the quad with the GoPro gimbal. FPV via smart phone uses a wifi connection which has limited range compared to a 5.8Ghz video transmitter. Plus the wifi connection will probably mean than the remote control transmitter that comes with the quad will be 5.8Ghz and the camera will talk to your phone on 2.4Ghz. This will mean if you want to get a different transmitter you will be limited with what you can get. Just ask Mandrake.

which is my thinking, the vision+ is a great all in one, but limits any future stuff, while gopro gimbal day oen doesnt do FPV, it is MUCH more flexiable into the futrue..
-- 2012 Prado D4D  --  '05 OutbackCamper  --  VK3BQ  --  HFRadioClub Selcal 0172  --  VKS737 Selcal 0172 --

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1540 on: February 13, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »

or

what would you do?

I'd go with the one with the gopro gimbal.  Not only will it fit a gopro but loads of other action cameras that are close in quality when it comes to 1080p (not so on the higher res shots).

It gives you the greatest flexibility in terms of controller and options for the future.  The vision+ is nice but you'll find you want more after a while.  If you really need to frame the picture (not for FPVing) and it's close by use the gopro's wifi connection to frame the video.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1541 on: February 13, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Well progress, it seems my extension cable I made for the rear servo has an issue, plugged in a premade one and it just works.  I'll do another one tonight....  Sigh.

On the power issue, seems that if I plug anything with +5V onto the main outputs the FMU shutsdown.  I can plug in a +5V into the Aux out and it powers the rail fine.  I'm digging out a diagram tonight to check what is connected to what on the circuit board.  I was sure the power rail for main out and aux were linked together....

I cut up my carbon fiber board to hold the camera, accidentally did it in 1mm thickness (meant to do it in 1.5mm).  It seems to be strong enough, I'll only know tonight when I drill the holes and mount the gimbal on it....

I got another package of goodies today, a 10A charger, more CF plates (since they were only $14 a hit compared to $20 normally) and two new 5800mah 3S batteries.

Still waiting on my 3rd axis gimbal stuff, coming up to the 3 week mark on Monday.  Grrrr.

FPV gear will go on tonight now that I've worked out the issue with the servo cable and the power rail (somewhat).

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1542 on: February 13, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »
Or you could have more fun and make your own quad from parts. Being the radio operator that you are you should be able to handle building and a little setting up which is half the fun.
My first build was a f450 flame wheel with a NAZA flight controller and it has a gimbal for the go pro and fpv so I can see what the camera is looking at.
Most of us here are playing with an apm flight controller which is harder to set up but can do automated missions.
Something to think about.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1543 on: February 13, 2015, 02:24:47 PM »
We'll a promised I was up at the crack of noon after nightshift so wanting an easy afternoon I decided to tackle setting up a Bluetooth telemetry system from the telemetry radio to the Samsung galaxy tablet.
We'll after some googling and downloads and some scratching of heads I finally got it all set up and working a treat. I am using droid planner 2 because it seems to work the best for me.
Here are a couple of photos.

This first one shows the whole setup with the tab in the back ground.

The second photo shows the BT modular with the telemetry radio and the 5v BEC to power it all.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:27:45 PM by Crisp Image »

Marschy

« Reply #1544 on: February 13, 2015, 02:31:37 PM »
We'll a promised I was up at the crack of noon after nightshift so wanting an easy afternoon I decided to tackle setting up a Bluetooth telemetry system from the telemetry radio to the Samsung galaxy tablet.
We'll after some googling and downloads and some scratching of heads I finally got it all set up and working a treat. I am using droid planner 2 because it seems to work the best for me.
Here are a couple of photos.

Its funny that the Multiwii, which in my option is just the poor cousin of the APM flight controller, has a bluetooth module that is always cheaper than the APM bluetooth module, but the only thing that stops it from working on the APM is a different baud rate. I reckon the bluetooth module is a much better option than the 3DR radio, because it has no external antenna. I'm thinking of swapping all of my APM quads over to bluetooth, but I need to get a bluetooth dongle for my desktop computer so I can still use the bluetooth connection for Mission Planner.

Marschy

« Reply #1545 on: February 13, 2015, 02:34:10 PM »
Crispy, why do you still have the 3DR radio connected, is it for Mission Planner?

All you need is the 'Y' cable that came with your minimOSD and substitute the 3DR radio with the bluetooth module and your good to go.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:55:24 PM by Marschy »

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #1546 on: February 13, 2015, 02:51:08 PM »

Or you could have more fun and make your own quad from parts. Being the radio operator that you are you should be able to handle building and a little setting up which is half the fun.
My first build was a f450 flame wheel with a NAZA flight controller and it has a gimbal for the go pro and fpv so I can see what the camera is looking at.
Most of us here are playing with an apm flight controller which is harder to set up but can do automated missions.
Something to think about.
Regards
Crispy

It needs to be simple for the wifey to fly as well. Day 1. 

A FW450 and bits would be no trouble. Just not as simple?  From my reading.

NAZA m mode v's phantom mode. A little more forgiving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1547 on: February 13, 2015, 03:32:49 PM »

Crispy, why do you still have the 3DR radio connected, is it for Mission Planner?

All you need is the 'Y' cable that came with your minimOSD and substitute the 3DR radio with the bluetooth module and your good to go.
The telemetry radio will have a bigger range than the BT. The BT unit is so the telemetry radio can talk to the Samsung tab2 without the need for a physical connection.
The telemetry radio on the quad is tucked away and I even forget it is there.
I have to remember to have the ground station antenna in the correct orientation for best results.
Regards
Crispy

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1548 on: February 13, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »

It needs to be simple for the wifey to fly as well. Day 1. 

A FW450 and bits would be no trouble. Just not as simple?  From my reading.

NAZA m mode v's phantom mode. A little more forgiving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The NAZA is easy to fly. Set it up in GPS mode and when you let the sticks centre it will just stop there and hover. My 13 yo had no problems working it.
If you are down my way in the valley I would be more than happy to demonstrate it to you. The stock DJI motors were not up to the task of my build but with some mods and different construction I am sure they would be. Another thing to consider is how you are going to move it around to flying sites. The bigger they are the harder to fit in. A folding option might suit you better in that case.
Regards
Crispy

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1549 on: February 13, 2015, 04:06:33 PM »

I think this setup he has is for the ground station, so he can set it somewhere and walk around.  I just stuff the 915Mhz antenna in my pocket connected to my phone and it works so far out to 150m with no issues.  It's a good idea for Ground Stations where you have a static aerial (such as a antenna tracker), then you BT it to the ground station PC.

Is that what you are doing Crispy?

Ummm, some of us will upload missions when it's further than BT can reach, I uploaded a mission when I was about 100m away (and 25m high) from it the other week.  Then just set it to auto and off it went - kept it in LOS but was the furthest I've gone with it - around 200m away (it was tiny).  Using BT I would have had to stand underneath it and then at 25m high it would be pushing what it can do.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander