Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 688136 times)

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1225 on: January 09, 2015, 06:39:45 PM »

Jaycar have them for $25. With the missus out of town, now is your opportunity. Just search for FTDI. It's the same one I have.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4241

I'll see if my local stockist has one tomorrow. Not going to hold my breath but it is worth a try.
If not then the bay of all evil has them in aus for about $8 and get it by the time I finish night shift next week.

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1226 on: January 09, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
I'll see if my local stockist has one tomorrow. Not going to hold my breath but it is worth a try.
If not then the bay of all evil has them in aus for about $8 and get it by the time I finish night shift next week.

To help you find them in the store they'll be with the auduino stuff....
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1227 on: January 09, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
To help you find them in the store they'll be with the auduino stuff....
The arduino stuff at Jaycar is overpriced. It doesn't seem to fly out the door. Should be in stock, it's behind the counter from memory

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1228 on: January 09, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
Well ebay never ceases to amaze me, I've got my charger for the IXUS 115HS.  Arrived this afternoon, works really well.  So I'll work out a mount and get it hooked up to the tricopter.

I've been playing with the UAV script and it works really well.  I get well focused images, I put together an mission in Mission Planner that will send the 'start taking pics' messages and the 'stop taking pics' messages.

It looks like I can do either a fully controlled by APM but it chews through the waypoints.  I think there are 150 max waypoints from memory.  The other method is using a script that takes pics every x seconds, the Mission Planner interface will work out what the x should be based upon your height and speed.

Oh, always remember to keep a bind plug in your kit.  I went to fly today and forgot that I rebound my Tx to the tricopter.  Odd as I thought the Tx had an id and it can be bound to multiple receivers.... Hmmmm, I'm wondering since one is DSM2 and the other is DSMX.  Anyway I normally have a bind plug but i pulled it out the other day, so remember always have one or do a full check before leaving.

It was to be my first flight of the mini APM, now it will be either on Saturday or Monday.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1229 on: January 09, 2015, 07:05:25 PM »
The arduino stuff at Jaycar is overpriced. It doesn't seem to fly out the door. Should be in stock, it's behind the counter from memory

I agree but if you need it in a hurry.  Crispy if you can wait, just order the ebay job it will be much cheaper.

Sometimes behind the counter, the one next to QVB has the arduino stuff behind the counter, but my local store at Greenwich has it on the shelves.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1230 on: January 09, 2015, 07:15:47 PM »
If you set up each of the toys on a different model you should be able to bind each Rx to the Tx and then when you fly each of the toys you select the correct one on start up of the Tx.
I could be wrong but I think it is the way.
Crispy

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1231 on: January 09, 2015, 07:40:04 PM »
This is gonna be a bit weird, my first post is a vid on this very topic. Ill drop in and say Hello in the appropriate place shortly.... but Flying Things and Campers goes hand in hand (in my world....:) )

We do an annual trip to Menindee and as a group have done so for over 25 years.... I take my Quad along and take a bit of footage, heres a bit from November 14...... it was really bloody windy, way too much for the machine .... but .....

[youtube]
Menindee Greens Small | Large
[/youtube]

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1232 on: January 09, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »
This is gonna be a bit weird, my first post is a vid on this very topic. Ill drop in and say Hello in the appropriate place shortly.... but Flying Things and Campers goes hand in hand (in my world....:) )

We do an annual trip to Menindee and as a group have done so for over 25 years.... I take my Quad along and take a bit of footage, heres a bit from November 14...... it was really bloody windy, way too much for the machine .... but .....

[youtube]Menindee Greens[/youtube]
video? Can't see one here
EDIT: Cant see the video on the Ipad tapatalk. can seeit on PC

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:33:26 PM by Crisp Image »

Marschy

« Reply #1233 on: January 09, 2015, 08:15:15 PM »

Welcome to myswag.

Tell us a bit about your flying machine and video setup.

Cheers, Marschy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:20:05 PM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #1234 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:47 PM »
Well ebay never ceases to amaze me, I've got my charger for the IXUS 115HS.  Arrived this afternoon, works really well.  So I'll work out a mount and get it hooked up to the tricopter.
I misplaced my IXUS 115HS charger for the better part of a year. Ended up buying a 240/12 volt version that I could take camping. The day it arrived on my doorstep, I found the original charger in the camper trailer, of course, doh.

I'm curious about why you have reflashed the camera Chris, what is the purpose for that? I have heard of the CHDK software before, but what is it for?

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1235 on: January 09, 2015, 08:45:18 PM »
I had to get one of these - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291266591423?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

So I can configure the Remzibi OSD
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1236 on: January 09, 2015, 08:52:56 PM »

Hey  Artie -- That looks horribly like me in the video !!

Marschy

« Reply #1237 on: January 09, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »
You can get them from any number of sources. The FTDI that I have is a 'funtronics' made USB/serial convertor. But like all things sold in Australia, is marked up well beyond just making a small profit.

Marschy

« Reply #1238 on: January 09, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »
Hey Steve, what software are you using to grab snapshots from video. I've noticed you have done this a couple of times now.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1239 on: January 09, 2015, 09:39:21 PM »
Hey Steve, what software are you using to grab snapshots from video. I've noticed you have done this a couple of times now.

Program is called Printscreen from Gadwin - Its free - works off the Print Screen button on your keyboard and is resizable to any part of the screen or all of it ...

I can email you the zip file if you PM me your email addy .. Its too big to attach here 4 Mb ..

Marschy

« Reply #1240 on: January 09, 2015, 09:41:04 PM »
Thanks that would be great. I already have my email address linked to my username, just click on the envelope.

Cheers, Mark

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1241 on: January 10, 2015, 07:31:19 AM »
I misplaced my IXUS 115HS charger for the better part of a year. Ended up buying a 240/12 volt version that I could take camping. The day it arrived on my doorstep, I found the original charger in the camper trailer, of course, doh.

I'm curious about why you have reflashed the camera Chris, what is the purpose for that? I have heard of the CHDK software before, but what is it for?

Hi,

It allows you to run scripts on the camera, such as setting the focus to infinity, setting no flash, setting an iso level or even better getting it to monitor the shutter rate and vary as required.  Best part is that with a cable I can output a PWM signal from the APM and have the camera read it and then do one of 6 things.  Such as take a picture, change the focus point, zoom in, zoom out, etc....

I'll do a post on it once I've got it all working for you :-)

My plan is to use this to do the inspection of my roof with this and the action cam pointed downwards on the tricopter.

Later on I'll most likely build a flying wing to hold the point and shoot cameras.  That is a later in the year task, not something I'm ready to start yet.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1242 on: January 10, 2015, 08:21:20 AM »
Welcome to myswag.

Tell us a bit about your flying machine and video setup.

Cheers, Marschy

Gday Marschy, its a cob up of bits but based on a set of Scarab chassis plates and boom mounts. Here is Quintons website, Aussie made/sold gear http://www.multiwiicopter.com/ look for a Scarab in his product range, as I said, I only buy some base components and then make it up as I need it. I also use carbon 12mm booms which are cheap enough to get a hold of.

Over the years I've used heaps of options but this is the cheapest and toughest gear I've ever used, so now I have several setups on the go, some aimed at play and some as camera ships.

Ive also played with plenty of flight control boards, from making my own  with wii components and arduino boards to units from the website above but now exclusively use the Naze32 boards. These guys offer the best control and area so simple to use not to mention being around $37 to buy.

As far as cams go, Ive stopped using the GoPro as a recent hard landing made me think twice about that much money floating around and now use a Mobious cam which (imo) does just as good a job at around $90 for the unit and it only weighs a few grams. Problem I'm having is all my cam mounts are designed for a heavier cam (gopro) and now I've got the dreaded wobbles/jello again, I'm playing with different rubber mounts now.

Heres a Mobious vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASv55Zv0Lg

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1243 on: January 10, 2015, 08:24:31 AM »

No way mate.... Im much better looking than that....  ;D Ill look back and see if I can find what gear you are using... always on the look out....

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1244 on: January 10, 2015, 08:28:59 AM »
Local jaycar did not have one so eBay will send me one by the 13 the or so for 1/3 of the price. Jaycar could do it in about 3 working days. Waiting again!
Crispy

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:32:00 PM by Crisp Image »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1245 on: January 10, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »
As far as cams go, Ive stopped using the GoPro as a recent hard landing made me think twice about that much money floating around and now use a Mobious cam which (imo) does just as good a job at around $90 for the unit and it only weighs a few grams. Problem I'm having is all my cam mounts are designed for a heavier cam (gopro) and now I've got the dreaded wobbles/jello again, I'm playing with different rubber mounts now.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Footage looks good.  Never tried the Naze32 - I jumped from KK2 to APM's.

I've also got a mobius and an action cam which has the same form as a gopro.  I was surprised how light the mobius is but the quality is a little worse from what I can tell, and streets behind my Go Pro - but there is a huge difference in costs.  Do you have normal or the wide angle lens on it. 

My action cam took a heavy hit from a quad copter crash onto the road.  For reducing the jello what have you tried already?  I've been using this stuff and it works well so far: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__44849__Anti_Vibration_Foam_White_Latex_Foam_AUS_Warehouse_.html

Chris
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:27:07 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1246 on: January 10, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »
Todays fruit of labour.
Or should that be i flew too close to a fruit tree.

Had a few crashes so have recalabrated the quad.
Trying to set up v monitoring aswell
I have flown 4 bateries today as it is perfect flying weather with no wind at all and overcast so it is not to hard to look at the sky.
My frame is a bit all over the place but much better since the recal.
Looking really closely it seems my motors dont sit exactly square.
It is a challenge to keep it on a straight and narrow. Even hovering is a challenge. Starting to look at frames more seriously but not sure what size to get.
A folding 560 looks good but i am worried about the landing gear breaking on the first hard landing.
If i could get a front mounted gimbal  ane remove the need for landing gear that would be great.
Also want no props in view.
Am i asking too much?
Better start looking.
Regards

Crispy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:59:31 PM by Crisp Image »

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #1247 on: January 10, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »
Hi Crispy, my learning curve was long and drawn out, mainly because when I started, flight control boards made flying basically like trying to balance an egg on the end of a broom stick!!!

The coming of age for me was the KK2 board and then the Naze 32. The KK was a great step up, allowing good control, but still a bit touchy, but I got some hours up and started to really enjoy flying, then along came the Naze and now flying is a snap (compared to the past units) and now I go through all my battery's in a session (sometimes :(). The basic Naze is around $37 and the top end unit which offers many features of the expensive babys is around $90. These include return to launch GPS etc.

As far as the chassis goes, vibration minimisation is important but less so with the Naze than others. I bolt my board down but other people mount it on the isolation damper double sided foam without bolts/screws. A bad frame will need the foam, a good frame wont...

Some people like to angle the motors in a fraction towards the center and others like to have them tilted a fraction to counter the torque, all mine are set up square, no tilting in any direction and they fly fine that way.

My chassis sizes are a small 250 for play and then all the rest are 450 carbon boom units.

Landing gear is a problem, and Ive been through a few styles. Sadly, not every landing is the best and cheap skids from a 700 sized heli seem to work best, soft enough to be compliant but still tough enough to take the abuse. Im not sure they would give you clearance for a gimbal though, I use a fixed rubber isolation mount for my cams. Im fiddling with a few rubbers sizes now to get rid of the jello.

These days I spend more time flying than I do repairing and its taken a long time to get to that point .... ya just gotta hang in there.... :)

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1248 on: January 11, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »
Thanks Artie for your advice.
I have a DJI 450 flamewheel and NAZA which is easy to fly and has a gimbal on it for the gopro so gets nice video.
I am playing with an APM at ATM which is much different to the NAZA. All good fun.
So todays fun had been stopped by the wind so no flying today. I have spent the best part of the morning on the www using ecalc (even paid for it) and have come up with some motors worth considering for the folding Alien 560 from HK.
So here is what I have found. All prices are in USD. all thrust levels with 12inch prop
Sunnysky 3508 700kv 1680g $39
Sunnysky 2814 700kv 1980g $37
FoxtechFPV 3508 700kv 1680 $45
T-motors 3508 700kv 1360 $70
T-motors 2814 700kv 1460 $66
T-motors 2814 770kv 1600 $66

Now when using Ecalc I am aiming for about 50% throttle for hover. Does that sound the right thing to do?
I need to start a shopping list.

Anyway what motors are you using on your alien560 and has any one actually flown it yet?

Head sore now from research. Must rest
Regards
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #1249 on: January 11, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »
G'day Crispy,

With all the bells and whistles, my all up weight for my Alien 560 is 2264 grams with a 4000MAh 4S battery.I'll be getting some 12 inch props for my Emax motors, but haven't flown it yet on the 11 inch props.

With thrust figures like you have quoted, your Alien will be balistic.

Cheers, Marschy