Author Topic: Mazda BT50 purchase. Opinions/Advice needed  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
Mazda BT50 purchase. Opinions/Advice needed
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:18:29 AM »
The time has come to upgrade (downgrade???) my much loved 80 series.
As I get older I do less 4 WD work and I need to increase my payload to take more gear to keep the better half happy.
I tow a Vista Crossover (1700 kg).
Decided on a BT 50 and am not after opinions on any other tow vehicles.
My question is on mileage that a newer car has done. When I bought the 80 series it had done 260,000 km and I knew the history (all country k's on the black top).
The Bt 50 I am looking at is a 2014 XTR with 120,000 km on the clock. Most others I have looked at for the same year are around 60,000 km.
For the modern smaller turbo engines is this a high mileage? My main concern at the moment is not just the engine, but auto gearbox and suspension if it has done lots of towing.
It is from a very reputable Mazda dealer that I have uses to buy 2 Mazdas from in the last 2 years ( a Mazda 3 and a CX5) and I am very happy with the dealer

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Mazda BT50 purchase. Opinions/Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
IMWO, its a lottery. it maybe fine, it may not be. We have several of these utes in our club, towing soft floors and general wheeling. Most seem reasonably happy.

Does it have a genuine service history?  Bloke that used to work here had a Subaru Outback that he never serviced in 60,000klms.. didnt see the point of it.. drugs were more important.

Seems  like a lot of klms in short time - sales rep car? never warmed and flogged well?

If your that concerned, I'd save up a bit more and get the lower klms car.. you know it will be less worn, long term better and last longer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:52:54 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:47 AM »
So the vehicle has done 6 years worth of driving in just over 3, possibly 4 years?

This is based on:

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/australian-moterists-drive-average-15530km-201305090702

Id expect the asking price to be discounted accordingly.

What Bird said, especially about the genuine service history.  Are any major works outstanding?

Cheers.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 08:58:04 AM »
So the vehicle has done 6 years worth of driving in just over 3, possibly 4 years?

This is based on:

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/australian-moterists-drive-average-15530km-201305090702

Id expect the asking price to be discounted accordingly.

What Bird said, especially about the genuine service history.  Are any major works outstanding?

Cheers.

Yes it is about $6000 cheaper than a similar car with 64,000 km on the clock.
Does not get to the dealer until next week so cannot check on the service history yet.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »
Quote from: Hewy54
Yes it is about $6000 cheaper than a similar car with 64,000 km on the clock.
Does not get to the dealer until next week so cannot check on the service history yet.
The discount would be enticing.. Depends on the price you put on peace of mind. You say your concerned about gearbox etc...

Maybe keep looking around for something between 64k and 120k klms?  Also your paying dealer premium prices.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
I'd quite happily pay the extra 6k to get half the k's. Assuming that the vehicles are comparable in specs etc.
Cheers,  Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »
If you can hold off to next year Mazda is partnering with Isuzu to do the next BT50 so you may get the best of both
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Johnnos3003

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 10:03:11 AM »
I'd quite happily pay the extra 6k to get half the k's. Assuming that the vehicles are comparable in specs etc.
Cheers,  Mike.

Agree I don't think 6k is substantial enough.

What sort of extended warranty will the dealer provide if any?

Dose it have a brake controller fitted? if not it not likely its done much towing and still might put you at a little more ease.

When it gets to the dealer check the books and see who the original purchaser was, that usually says a lot about potential for 'F' s given by who ever has been driving it around.

Offline TuffBT50

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »
My 2015 (July) just ticked over 99k, things to look for:
- As said is there electric brake module, if auto shouldn't tow in 6th up hills with heavy weight
- Catch can and pre fuel filter fitted, over 100k will need an intake system clean
- has the hot and cold intake pipes been replaced, known to slit along with intercoolers
- Look underneath, any sand/beach work will have paint missing off the lower control arms
- check vehicle logbook, most have a rear main seal issue, generally replaced within 100k
- you can easily check were and how its been drivin by looking under the front wheel guards, hell moving the plastic i can hear the mud and dirt rubbing in there.

I saw a FB post the other day and a guy in the group with a 2014 model had over 420k without an issue (regular servicing etc). The biggest thing with them (like any) is drive them one way and keep driving it like that for its whole life. Change fuel filter regularly etc.
Questions to ask
What extra's on the 2 units on offer?
How much extra to get a brand newie? My XTR DC 4x4 was 42k from mazda when I got her.
Black 2015 BT50 with lots of gear
2017 Modcon FF1-III with mods to follow
The following users thanked this post: Hewy54

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 12:50:35 PM »
Quote from: TuffBT50
I saw a FB post the other day and a guy in the group with a 2014 model had over 420k
I think he hit the wrong key... or does he drive 24/7? or is there a warranty claim on the odometer coming ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:52:25 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline TuffBT50

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »
I think he hit the wrong key... or does he drive 24/7? or is there a warranty claim on the odometer coming ;)

Haha, nope saw the picture of his dash. not the only one I have seen either. faulty OD maybe  :laugh: , haven't had a thing wrong with mine yet touch wood.

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »
My 2015 (July) just ticked over 99k, things to look for:
- As said is there electric brake module, if auto shouldn't tow in 6th up hills with heavy weight
- Catch can and pre fuel filter fitted, over 100k will need an intake system clean
- has the hot and cold intake pipes been replaced, known to slit along with intercoolers
- Look underneath, any sand/beach work will have paint missing off the lower control arms
- check vehicle logbook, most have a rear main seal issue, generally replaced within 100k
- you can easily check were and how its been drivin by looking under the front wheel guards, hell moving the plastic i can hear the mud and dirt rubbing in there.

I saw a FB post the other day and a guy in the group with a 2014 model had over 420k without an issue (regular servicing etc). The biggest thing with them (like any) is drive them one way and keep driving it like that for its whole life. Change fuel filter regularly etc.
Questions to ask
What extra's on the 2 units on offer?
How much extra to get a brand newie? My XTR DC 4x4 was 42k from mazda when I got her.
The two I am looking at
2014 XTR with ARB canopy 116,000 km for $31990 (not sure if it has elecric brakes)
2014 GT with ARB conopy and ARB bullbar 64,000 km for $39900 (has electric brakes)
Looked at new/demo, but at $40900 for the XT  I still needed to add the canopy, tow bar and bull bar giving a cost of $47,000

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline TuffBT50

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 03:21:19 PM »
Fair enough. arb bar for them fitted is around 2k so factor that in (colour coded is more). price wise is evenly spaced for the K's, guess colour and whether you want the GT extras are the factor

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
I just bought a 2014 Ranger XLT and went through the same thought process. The one I bought had 129,000km but was used to drive Perth to Lake King (~350km) most weeks so was mostly country kms. It drives like brand new! I tested a few others, one that had 69,000km drove like it had 690,000km. Another one that had 140,000km drove OK but felt a bit loose and choppy (if that makes sense).

I would buy on condition over kilometers anyday. Plenty out there with high kms going fine.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 11:12:15 AM »
The two I am looking at
2014 XTR with ARB canopy 116,000 km for $31990 (not sure if it has elecric brakes)
2014 GT with ARB conopy and ARB bullbar 64,000 km for $39900 (has electric brakes)
Looked at new/demo, but at $40900 for the XT  I still needed to add the canopy, tow bar and bull bar giving a cost of $47,000

Go the new or demo one the XT version..
Why?
  • The new vehicle is 4 Years newer
  • You get the 3 year factory warranty
  • With the XT model you get the vinyl floors standard (I like vinyl floors)
  • The later versions come with rear Diff lock as standard (getting a diff lock added to the older version will cost over $2000 and it's not factory)
  • Good resale value, as at the time of selling you will be selling a newer one owner vehicle
  • If you going for a canopy consider just purchasing a Cab Chassis Version, and get Gull Wing Canopy mounted straight to the chassis, that is a canopy with lift up sides, they are superior in many ways, such as dust sealing, access to gear, and to be easily add things like spare wheel mounts etc
  • If you were to go a Cab Chassis version with tray or canopy then go a high clearance tow bar https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TAG-TOWBAR-for-Mazda-BT-50-UP-Hi-Rider-Cab-Chass-Styleside-2011-on-3500-350kg-/332379919204 it makes a massive difference off road, and factory are usually way too low --  If you do end up considering the HAG tow bar from Aranda Towbars do not purchase the wiring kit from them -- buy the factory wiring kit as it will just plug in

If your considering the Mazda, have a look at the Fords as well, as they are very similar vehicles -- when I was purchasing I was looking at both the BT50 and the Ranger, and I ended up with the Ranger, I actually got it for a slightly cheaper price, and I just love the electric power steering that's in the Ford, and the other thing, not sure why I found the Ford slightly quieter.

I have documented my Ford buildup at  https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-mk2-ford-ranger-2016.40913/ and at http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=50278   The posting that I have made on MySwag needs fixing, as all the images have disappeared -- I will fix that later, but the posting on 4x4Earth is all good and upto date.

Have fun hunting.

:cheers:

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 04:48:52 PM »
Many thanks to those who replied.
Drove the one with 64,000 on the clock and it was OK
Drove another with 82,000 on the clock and felt better. Both similar specs, the higher mileage was $6400 cheaper when the acc were taken into account and $800 dearer than the previous one with 120,000
The big deciding factor was that the better half liked to colour of the 82000 one and gave her seal of approval so it is a done deal.
Finished up with a 2014 XTR with nudge bar, ARB canopy, factory second battery, electric brakes, tub liner, tow bar, two anderson plugs new Khumo tyres and tinted windows. Very happy with the service history and the way it drove.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »
Well done.  Congratulations. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline Murray

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 09:34:16 PM »
Hi Hewy54.
We have three Bt50s at work. Two Hi Riders and one 4x4. We have had trouble free driving for collective 800,000 ks, except a hose to the turbo blows at around the 200,000k mark. We now replace these hoses at 180,000k. Due to doing 60,000 - 80,000k  a year per vehicle we change the gearbox oil each year even though the service manual says it isn't required. The first one we bought, a 2012 XT, we kept til it had 350,000ks and the drivers said it was the best one of them all.
Because we are on the road all the time the vehicles get every service and as said before, the service history is very important.
next week we take delivery of another Hi Rider and I am buying the old ute for personal use.
The high kilometers don't bother me as lots of highway kilometers are better than low kilometer city driving.

You should be happy with your purhcase. The BT50s are a strong work horse and have done us well.
Cheers
Paul