Author Topic: Which dualcab for $20k?  (Read 6519 times)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Which dualcab for $20k?
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:19:54 PM »
Looking at changing over to a dualcab. Any suggestions or experiences with my shortlist would be great.

- budget of $20k.
- 2009 +
- diesel
- auto
- less than 140,000km
- as many accessories as possible eg bullbar, side steps, snorkel, alloy tray, lift kit, dual batts, AT tyres etc.

I don't like Triton, Amarok, Great wall, SSangyong.

I like Hilux, NavaraD40, Colorado, Dmax. Leaning towards Navara D40.

Something like this:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/morley/cars-vans-utes/2009-nissan-navara-dual-cab/1173309369

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
Re: Which dualcab for $20k?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:09:52 AM »
I bought a car just a few months back, similar specs to you. Came very close to a D40, but then looked up reviews and problems and changed my mind. A lot of reports of rapid deterioration after 100k.
But then, asking which car is like asking which tyre. Everyone knows what they like, but nobody has compared them all. You'll find good and bad reviews on everything, just try to find the one with the lowest proportion of bad ones.

I'd just put your criteria into carsales.com.au and look for something you like.

Offline Chappie

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:08:19 AM »
What did you end up buying Hookie?
The following users thanked this post: denidoug

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 07:42:56 AM »
Hi Chappie, Any of them ones you like would be ok, But if you are towing a CT and  going off road withit I would get the chassy or tray mounts strengthened, See so many of the new 4wds being bent, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 08:47:50 AM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:51:37 AM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
I also did a Hilux based search, using the same filters.

similar results.

It it was me I'd have a hard time choosing between the Hilux and the Dmax. I have a history with Toyotas and trust them... but the Dmax has a solid reputation.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »
Hey nab
Just curious what is it you don’t like about the Amarok? It’s the only one in all of that group that can carry max load and max tow capacity, according to gross combination mass. They have the most car like feel and comfort of all of those vehicles and widest gap between tray wheel arches for load carrying.
You can certainly get a my12 Amarok with under 140ks for $20k
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
A mate very recently purchased a 2009 Navara dual cab to tow his 6m boat since the Navara has 3T towing capacity, and the Nissan was reasonably priced compared to other similar dual cabs in that bracket.  His is a manual though.

He's had the car for a few months now and is really disappointed with it's towing capability.  Reckons once it gets going it's okay, but from a standhill turbo lag is terrible.  Even worse if taking off on any type of slope with the boat hooked up.  Burnt out one clutch the first time he tried to tow the boat out of the boat ramp, so now he has to pull the boat out of the water with 4wd engaged and in low to avoid excessive revs and clutch slip to get the thing on boost.  Has since spent money on a chip and exhaust to improve low rpm grunt, but the thing is still a dog he reckons and so it's now for sale.

I'm sure an auto would be much better for towing, and would probably fair even better if you're not planning of towing near the upper limits of it towing capacity. I wouldn't normally comment in these types of threads, but seeing as his is a 2009 dual cab and his experience recent, it seemed valid to add to this thread.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »
Do not think that only happen with Narvaras my mate has had 3 new dual cab Hiluxs burnt out 3 clutches in one towing his 6m boat in 80, 000ks and at lest one in the other two, same puts it in low range at the boat ramp now, Craig

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 02:54:42 PM »

Even worse if taking off on any type of slope with the boat hooked up.  Burnt out one clutch the first time he tried to tow the boat out of the boat ramp, so now he has to pull the boat out of the water with 4wd engaged and in low to avoid excessive revs and clutch slip to get the thing on boost.

Why didnt he do this from day dot.......? 
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 03:50:31 PM »
What did you end up buying Hookie?

Ended up with a 2009 patrol. It's what the boss wanted. I was trying to push for a dual cab for economy and power and a better touring setup, but aside from that I secretly wanted a patrol too, so she didn't have to fight very hard.
The following users thanked this post: Chappie

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 04:23:14 PM »
Why didnt he do this from day dot.......?

Because he never had to do it with his previous tow rig, which was a Pajero, I suppose...  ???

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
As I mentioned in response to a similar question a few days ago, people sneer at Fords but I had a very good experience with a PJ Ranger, 120K km including rough  outback tracks  (Gunbarrel, Simpson desert, Kimberley etc) and nothing broke or fell off and it never failed to proceed (as the people at Rolls-Royce used to say).

A PK with the same mechanicals should be in your price range.

There was talk in a few places about dodgy  clutches but people are saying that about others. And I see you want and auto anyway.

One  issue is rear seat access in a dual cab is hard for anybody other than children so check that if you have passengers.   

When I was doing my buying research owners of  auto Navaras of that vintage were complaining about high fuel consumption and I once did a trip with a guy who had one and just about the first question he asked was "what's your fuel consumption like".  Answer wasn't relevant because mine was manual but he told me he had bought the auto Navara as he had a boat and even not towing he was not happy.

Good luck with the search

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:01:47 PM by rossm »

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 10:38:52 PM »
I was looking at the earlier Rangers/Dmaxs but not much in my price range with the kms I want so budget looks like it has been increased to $30k (inc stamp duty and insurance) as nothing in the sub $20k range suits.

Had a couple hours spare today, I went with the missus to about 6 dealers (all next to each other). Straightaway crossed off the list Hilux (middle rear seat had only a lap seatbelt for the third kid), 2013 Triton (my knee hits the dash when seat is fully back) and Amarok (Liked the space and style but something just didn't feel right, not sure what).

Maybe list is D40 Navara (bit cosy in the front for me, need a test drive), Colorado (rear leg room borderline for the missus aka shortarse).

I liked the Ranger/BT50 (bit pricey though), Dmax and new Triton.

For any car yards out there listening, you need to spend more time detailing your cars and removing the smoke smell. And painting the underside doesn't hide the red dirt or chips/scrapes. It's just like the cars come in, spray underneath black, give it a clean and spray everything with Armourall, no effort in removing marks, repairing broken clips etc etc...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 04:35:27 AM »
Shame you don't like the triton, I saw dual cab 4x4s being pushed for under 30 just a week or 2 ago. Of course that's a virgin car, so you'd need to spend many thousands more getting it set up.

My recent car shopping experience went the way yours seems to be going. Started with the goal of staying under 20, ended up spending 35, plus another couple on personal touches. Why can't someone out there build the exact car I want and then sell it cheap before putting a ton of km on it???

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 12:47:10 AM »
Worse still is when I find the perfect car it is on the other side of the country! No time and no confidence in an unknown mechanic....

I like the new MQ Triton, I don't fit in the old MN Triton. There have been a couple sub $30k Tritons with a few extras but they are manual.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 09:18:17 PM »
What about the new LDV T60 4wd UTE 
5 Star Ancap
About the size of a Ranger
2.8L diesel
Diff lock as standard
Comes in Auto and Manual
Seems a lot larger than a Trident

I was at a dealer on Friday, looking for a small car for the Misses, well it's a bit like this, there was about 5 LDV T60 lined up, being 4WD utes, I just couldn't help myself , I just had to have a look inside and out, it looked very nice, I was quite surprised. Being so many in darwin I guess they are planing on selling a few.

Well if your stretching your budget to $30000, it might be in your ball park, and looking at their web site those utes come with a 5 year warranty, and it looks like they have a large 4WD wagon as well.

Other than that I know nothing about them, anyway just making the mere suggestion of a Chinese vehicle, might just have me shot down in flames  ;D .

Cheers

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 09:42:17 PM »
I don't mind the look of them, sort of like a Ranger. I won't be getting one though, I'll let others be the guinea pigs haha!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 11:23:04 PM »
Come on man! We need a guinea pig!   ;D

We need someone that posts on this forum to watch how they go with one of these new rigs, just think of it, it could be you, and they supply the convenience of a loan car for the period of your vehicle's warranty if your vehicle is off the road for more than 48 hours for a warrantable fault. So there you have you could be driving around in something else while it's being fix  >:D

I mean, just look how much crap they put into them..

Small | Large

Actually while I was writing this post for a bit of a stir, I was a bit surprised, and I sort of looked through their spec on their website, something that bugs me is that I noticed that they only put the looking diff on their Lux model, I mean it should be on their bottom models...

Another thought, as your getting up there with your budget, what about a bottom line new Ford Ranger as at times the dealers stock up for fleet buyers, and a few left over that they sell off cheap -- eg. $37000 as on carsales https://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Ford-Ranger-2017/OAG-AD-15530067/?Cr=2 that's a 2.2L auto version, and they ain't too bad on the inside, vinyl floors and all the way a 4WD should be, and they do come with a rear locking rear diff.

O.K. you started off with a budget of $20000 and let me blow your budget   ;D  :cup:

:cheers:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:34:43 PM by cyberess »

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 12:30:50 PM »
I was looking at the earlier Rangers/Dmaxs but not much in my price range with the kms I want so budget looks like it has been increased to $30k (inc stamp duty and insurance) as nothing in the sub $20k range suits.

Had a couple hours spare today, I went with the missus to about 6 dealers (all next to each other). Straightaway crossed off the list Hilux (middle rear seat had only a lap seatbelt for the third kid), 2013 Triton (my knee hits the dash when seat is fully back) and Amarok (Liked the space and style but something just didn't feel right, not sure what).

Maybe list is D40 Navara (bit cosy in the front for me, need a test drive), Colorado (rear leg room borderline for the missus aka shortarse).

I liked the Ranger/BT50 (bit pricey though), Dmax and new Triton.

For any car yards out there listening, you need to spend more time detailing your cars and removing the smoke smell. And painting the underside doesn't hide the red dirt or chips/scrapes. It's just like the cars come in, spray underneath black, give it a clean and spray everything with Armourall, no effort in removing marks, repairing broken clips etc etc...

How tall are you? I'm 182cm and my legs are long but don't go anywhere near hittin the dash with my knees.  ???

I just picked up a 2013 a month ago and it drives better than the Patrol did, stops without having a panic attack due to thinking it won't, fuel economy is great = 8.33ltr/100klm and I can drive for hours in it and not have my hips all lock up on me.  :D

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 08:08:01 PM »
Hi Nab, My mate just bought a 4x4 Nissen  Nar, dual cab, 2009 2,5lt turbo inter with 200,000ks on it for 10 grand, but its only 98kw the model before was 110kw who does that release a newer model with less power than the old, Craig

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 08:26:41 PM »
I don't mind the look of them, sort of like a Ranger. I won't be getting one though, I'll let others be the guinea pigs haha!

I think my brother will be able to replace his plumbing Utes with these LDV's and be a Guinea pig.
He currently uses Great Walls and for the cost he is happy to run them, had a few issues with ute off the road waiting for parts but he reconds they work out much cheaper than a hi lux.
Then again he does have  a Chinese wife.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 10:08:00 PM »
The LDVs look pretty good, still no go for me!

I'm 198cm tall, mostly in the legs. Backseats are generally a no go for me...

I think I have knocked the Navara D40 off the list, again the leg room is just not there for me.

New Triton is also off the list, the canopy I will be getting will have too much overhang, even a 1400mm long canopy will be pushing the friendship in my eyes.

In WA there seems to be a void in the market for good used dualcabs with good kms and some accessories. Seem to be a fair few 2010-2011 models with 150,000-200,000km and the same with 2013-2014 with ~100,000km around the $35k mark, nothing really in the middle. My price point and km are base models ex miner/gov/lease around 2012-2013.

Still deciding which way to go, can afford a more expensive car but not sure I want to put $50k into a vehicle that would be better spent elsewhere. No tax incentives for me either at the moment.

Found a few nice Dmaxs/BT50s/Rangers in the $35k range
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 12:19:23 AM »
Had to increase my budget a smidge but I picked up a one owner 2014 Ford Ranger with canopy/bullbar/spotlights for $31k. Straight and clean car, interior is like new, outside almost as good. It's amazing how different the same cars can drive, this one is tight as a drum but the ex gov car with similar kms rattled and wandered all over the road after each bump. Another ex gov one with half the kms looked like it had been used in the Dukes of Hazard...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 12:51:50 AM »
One thing that is constant, if you own the car/Ute/4wd, you are more likely to look after it. If you rent or it’s paid for by someone else, you will flog the living daylights out of it
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk