Author Topic: Off-Grid Living Australia  (Read 13918 times)

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
Off-Grid Living Australia
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
Please keep in mind this plain simple and cheap. The shack is inherited and a heap with a story behind it but the concept is right.
As he say's the myth of grid solar costing 10's of thousands is bogus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWwJsLobZJQ

More and more of us are getting itchy feet to give the energy providers the flick!

:cheers:
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Off-Grid Living Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »
I know of a few people and have family  that have bought cheap land and either put decent new or second hand sheds on it .. Throw in a few decent size water tanks, composting toilets [ youtube ] wind / solar and LPG for power / cooking etc and are living very cheaply with all the comforts ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 05:02:14 PM »

It makes you wonder how far we have come from the 1900's and now people are looking at heading back that way sort of.

Plenty of options to assist in doing this.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Young Nomad, Travelling
    • Tripigy
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »
My new place I am building right now, the excavation started today.. 22sq home totally off grid everything.
My entire power system which I can posts picks of when installed will be 24k in total. That's all the power inverters,Panels, lg lipo batteries, and even a auto generator and everything as a full backup with everything more then enough to run for many days without sun.

So although not cheap I could do it a bit cheaper but are getting the really good gear, it's not crazy expensive.
2015 LC200 - Snowy - Sahara with all the mods.
Custom built Off-road Caravan.

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »
Is it just me,  cos  reckon the term "off grid" here is a misnomer.
Because as long as you're posting on my swag you'll never truly be "off grid". I understand peoples desire not to be totally dependant on government utilities but fair dinkum its a bit of a wankers term ????????????

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
    • Tripigy
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 05:38:47 PM »
ha ha... Yeah maybe call it everything but off-internet in my case.

We're building a normal house with normal appliances and all the usual gear. (should be a nice home when i am at home :)..

We are putting in NBN Wireless as an internet, but we don't have access to Water/Sewage or phone lines. But "IF" i wanted to i can get power.
We decided we wanted this to be totally disconnected from all main utilities..

Maybe we call it off-utilities instead of off-grid.. Though with a good satellite setup you can be in the middle of Australia even without anything else and at least still have internet.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:51:06 PM »
I think if you are not connected to anything by wires or pipes then "off the grid" is a useful term.  With satphones you can be connected anywhere so if you get too purest nowhere is 'off the grid"  There is quite a lot of info available to allow you to get as disconnected as you like. 

I think that the "off the grid" attitude also thinks about all the things you bring in and out of your property.  Energy inputs are not just electricity or gas but also petrol, diesel, LPG, food etc. Outputs include garbage, smoke from burning etc  There are heaps of options and choosing the ones that suit you and your families lifestyle is what matters.

Good luck with this, the more people that go down this road the better for all of us. :cup:

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
We are in the same boat at the moment and are building new on acreage.

We plan to go "on grid" to start so I can supply the builders with power, but in a year or so when we are finished and sheds up etc etc, we hope to go "off grid"

I am installing the same as you, a normal appliance and light etc sytle house, but I plan to have battery bank and inverter to run it all.
I have also discovered some really good DC fans that I plan to use as well as 12 volt pumps for irrigation and water supply that I hope to keep separate to the house system.

It can be done and not too costly if you plan ahead.
We live for a month every Christmas "off the grid" in our camper and have absolutely no problems with power etc.

The only real concern is air conditioning. As long as you plan the house to be energy efficient and make use of shade and environment you can get a good system going.

I'd be keen to follow your build Firefox, if you are interested in sharing.

Cheers
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
    • Tripigy
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:05 PM »
Hi Brian if there is enough interest I'll document it on the forum.
So we are on 8ha in the Huon valley in Tasmania. Up high and an awesome view straight down the valley.

We've got a shed already and I should have solar system running by the end of month. We are putting 5kw of solar on plus a lot of other gear. The batteries in lipo are getting cheaper and cheaper which is good. So we've got one going in immediately with an expansion a little later.

One thing we've done is because we are starting from scratch we've gone and got very efficient lights and appliances and systems.. I was originally going to run a seperate 12v grid for just lights, but after doing a heap of tests with some 12v down light house lights were going these 12v transformer ones that draw nothing.

I think the other trick is planning from the start about thermal Barriers, solar warmth, insulation and all these other terms to ensure the house is setup right. It's actually pretty easy to do.

We are also owner building now and organising contractors to do work

Offline Artie01

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 07:52:56 PM »
We sit somewhere 'in between', in so much as we are water tanks and septic toilet. Still hooked up to power though........ wouldn't have it any other way....

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 07:57:55 PM »
Hi Brian if there is enough interest I'll document it on the forum.
So we are on 8ha in the Huon valley in Tasmania. Up high and an awesome view straight down the valley.

We've got a shed already and I should have solar system running by the end of month. We are putting 5kw of solar on plus a lot of other gear. The batteries in lipo are getting cheaper and cheaper which is good. So we've got one going in immediately with an expansion a little later.

One thing we've done is because we are starting from scratch we've gone and got very efficient lights and appliances and systems.. I was originally going to run a seperate 12v grid for just lights, but after doing a heap of tests with some 12v down light house lights were going these 12v transformer ones that draw nothing.

I think the other trick is planning from the start about thermal Barriers, solar warmth, insulation and all these other terms to ensure the house is setup right. It's actually pretty easy to do.

We are also owner building now and organising contractors to do work

The old chooks beautiful brides family is just up the road at Huonville.........
Beautiful part of the world.

I would be interested in what you are doing if you have the time.
Even just a few build pics here and there.

Thanks mate,
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
I'm gathering all and any information on offgrid as I can at the moment. I have a few few major concerns/homework for efficiency and sustainability prior to jumping into the deep end and I want to be completely off grid and self reliant on all major commodities.

1. Water capture and conservation/rain fall 
2. Power generation, solar and wind
3. Smaller energy efficient home
4. Food source/farming.................soil
7. Wood heating
5. No rates, water or electricity bills.
6. LPG cylinder cooking
7. Solar hot water vs lpg vs convenience
7. Home cooling is still a major hurdle
8. Small income generation

Due to forward scientific calculations of future climate, coastal SA will become sub tropical.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:21:50 PM by cruiser 91 »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 08:22:41 PM »
If there is enough interest I'll document it on the forum.
Yes please will be very interested in the build up ... And just a little shocked your in Tassie, Wernt you guys SEQ based before heading off in the Styromax chalet  ?.
And while talking of builds could I bother you for a link to the camper build that went to WA [ I think it was the Mk3 ? not sure,  had a forwards fold out bed ] if at all possible ..

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 08:31:49 PM »
Have you had a look at http://www.permies.com/ ? There is heaps of info even if it is US based.  Wood based heating is the major focus of http://donkey32.proboards.com/ you can find world best practice there.

I would think that solar would solve a lot of your issues if your house is designed to be energy efficient.  One great thing is to use the excess solar power generation in summer to power your air conditioner.

Wood heating is great if you can grow enough on your property.  Rocket mass heaters are the most efficient but not the only option for wood based heating (and water heating)

An outside kitchen with rocket stoves, bbq and wood fired oven could be an interesting choice if you like to spend time that way.

lots of options and heaps of fun ahead  :laugh:

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 08:37:18 PM »
Solar aircon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-kquRmvqk or a geothermal unit that you could run from solar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY3oGlgZRgI
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:47:51 PM by edz »

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:05 PM »
Solar aircon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-kquRmvqk or a geothermal unit that you could run from solar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY3oGlgZRgI

Still not perfect. I want hot water on demand at night.
Not being disrespectful, just pushing the outer limits of the square after sunlight hours. Still trying to find another solution, perhaps wind generation.
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:55:07 PM by cruiser 91 »

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:19 PM »
See if I can kill this thread by mentioning straw bale building. Worked on the last thread like this  >:D

If you are looking at reducing your heating/cooling bill this building method is worth exploring amongst its other benefits. 

Just need to find one where the owners will let you visit & feel what they are like inside. There is a lot of information out there & is ideal for a handy owner builder.

I had planned to owner build one but the other half has since suffered serious medical issues that make this impossible at the moment.

There is a range of providers of training & building services from basic to upmarket. Viva Homes is one but there are quite a lot of others I have no affiliation with any.

Ray

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »
I think the pioneering of free camping plays a lot into the future of home efficiency innervation. It's coming ever so close to a home near you.
Corporate $$$$ myths are starting to be broken, many thanks to those who have gone out on a limb and pioneered and experienced to the essence of offgrid living.
The funny thing is our ancestors had already experienced it and conquered it, now days it seems to be unchartered waters  ???

Capitalism....................the perfect scam
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:08:10 PM by cruiser 91 »

Offline firefox

• Administrator
  • Hard Floor Camper User
    • Tripigy
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 09:24:45 PM »
Just landed late in Hobart, will post some more info in the morning.
After living off grid for 3 years in the as some would say hotel or chalet were pretty good at off grid. The house is just another cool project I'm getting into

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »
See if I can kill this thread by mentioning straw bale building. Worked on the last thread like this  >:D

If you are looking at reducing your heating/cooling bill this building method is worth exploring amongst its other benefits. 

Ray
Nothing wrong with straw bale houses.. just got to have the time and right raw materials to put into them is all ..

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 12:40:52 AM »
I know of a few people and have family  that have bought cheap land and either put decent new or second hand sheds on it .. Throw in a few decent size water tanks, composting toilets [ youtube ] wind / solar and LPG for power / cooking etc and are living very cheaply with all the comforts ..

Unfortunately with most Councils your Planning and Development office would have some bad news for you with that and they speak softly but carry a big Legislative stick.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 06:56:51 AM »
Re the home cooling.  I think the biggest issue in Aus is bad or poor building design. The package builders just lay a slab, put up some walls, a roof and chuck in A/C. You can do so much with passive design, just think about all the old Queenslanders, and Darwin homes (pre cyclone), and old style Thai and Malay homes built to be cool before we had A/C. But it will require a custom build.

Decent insulation including double glazing will keep the house cool as well as warm-  30% or so of heat transfer comes through glazing. Shade the Windows, glaze them well. Other things like a central courtyard with water feature will cool the building core. Place bedrooms in the core, venting roofs etc.all help. Even just changing your habits like keeping the blinds and internal doors closed on a hot day.

For an idea of what can be done, My mothers side of the family own a brewery in the UK and built a 4400 sq m 'green' warehouse about 8 years ago. It's bloody impressive. Maintains a constant 11degrees C through 90,000 hemp and lime brick walls, a 0.6ha 'green' sedum roof for cooling, thermal buffering and water capture, air locks in the loading bay to stop heat transfer, shaded windows etc   A lot of the principles can be adapted to a home but it's not cheap. It's saving them close to 50,000GBP in energy costs per year over their old traditional industrial estate warehouse

http://www.greensuffolk.org/sgbn/suffolk-case-studies/adnams-distribution-centre/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:02:40 AM by tk421 »
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »
Another concept for cooling / warming is underground airconditioning.

Theory is that if you dig down ~5m, the ground will be a constant temperature of ~24`. Stick an array of pipes down at that depth, blow 30` hot air down one end & cool air comes out the other, put 5` air in & warm air comes out, basically totally free except for a fairly small fan.

Have read about it but never seen one actually working, although the theory sounds great  :D

So when will this fantastic home appear as a POI on Tripigy?  :D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline jr

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 08:07:10 AM »
Ground source heating/cooling is a good thing in theory, tried in greenhouses over many years with ordinary results
Nothing is free, If you keep feeding 30 deg air in, the ground simply warms up, also transfer efficiency is pretty low.
Works as a temporary measure, you can bank day/night energy but it isnt simple as expected.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 09:01:45 AM »
Our farm at Connondale has been off grid - forever. Has a small solar array and a lister LPT2 as backup. Gas/timber stove, gas fridge (was kero), solar hws etc etc.

My aunt's farm at Ballandean is the same - they recently installed a gas stove and hws. Prior to that (5 years ago) it was a wood stove and hot water pig running off it.

Lower your expectations off grid and all will be fine. Expect to live like you do in the city and you'll need a city job to get the systems up and running and keep them there.

Also think (a LOT) about passive fire fighting - put a 100 gal tank on the roof that you can let go when it turns to custard - also works when you lose power to the water pump so the house doesn't fail.

Check town planning for the area to see what septic is allowed - plenty of areas need bio cycle now rather than soaker trenches.