Author Topic: Change of Career  (Read 19747 times)

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Change of Career
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 07:05:46 PM »
 konda expecting one myself soon - in I.T at the moment and reluctant to leave it but mrs wants to head north while she can still enjoy her grandchildren and there "aint much call' for data comms engineers around coffs harbour - I am a spark by trade but that was years ago and the national corporation I work for interview locals for jobs every now and then and the applicants are always reluctant to give their bosses as referees in case theyre caught out going for a better job and get the flick and end up with nothing

Offline Hawk2014

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
Turning 44 on Monday. Been in Carpentry for 15 years now and seriously thinking of joining the ADF.
Have two little ones 3&5. Missus says she will back me in my choice of career. Looking for the future of the family.

champin

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »
Thinking of a change myself. Don't think the back will hold out another 10 yrs. Bouncing with oh&s or training and accessment.

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
Thinking of a change myself. Don't think the back will hold out another 10 yrs. Bouncing with oh&s or training and accessment.

I do both OH&S and training/assessing in my job. Both are rewarding in their own ways. Need to have a thick skin for OHS which I do. The training is probably the harder one at time because of the age difference between me and the guys I find myself training, but if you are talking facts and not opinions (in both jobs really) it is easy enough to get through. Shoot me a PM if you want any info.

SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

champin

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 04:15:46 PM »
Thaks Lino. Pm sent

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »

After much thought, soul searching and talks with the bride, after 33yrs, I have retired due to degenerative arthritis in the lower back.  It is not when I wanted to go but is the right time for me to go.  Just have to wait for the final out come to see what I am entitled to.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 09:12:25 PM »
a bit sad to read that but youre in the right area to kick back - hope it works out for you. looking at semi-retiring up that way (my bride wants to, used to live up that way and has three sons up there). not sure what a 56-yr old will be good for around there when the time comes though...

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »
not sure what a 56-yr old will be good for around there when the time comes though...

If you have enough to retire on......plenty to do......play golf, go camping, gardening, drink beer, go surfing, etc, etc !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »
that was the plan - shame about the super (hmm, reminds me of the 'work for the dole' thread...)

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
that was the plan - shame about the super (hmm, reminds me of the 'work for the dole' thread...)

Same for me......if I can survive till approx. 60 to 65, then I think super will be OK, but at 56, just a few yrs too early..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

champin

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
At 53 I'm not ready to give it away yet. Got a bit of the lower back arthy ritus too. Plus scare tissue from a previous torn muscle. Just have to find somewhere to redirect my talents in a less physical way.

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »
Sounds familiar.  I have been driving forks and doing other stuff in the same place for 17 years.  Hadn't planned on it being that long but things don't always work out I suppose.  We are in the same boat, don't really want to leave the area, but a big carrot should help change that. Just about ready to get a hobby block out of town and the health bills butted in.  Currently doing course on OHS, then Assessment.  Maybe the rods in my back won't be under stress walking about with a clipboard and a concerned look.  Good luck to you all, it is a tougher job market out there these days. 
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

champin

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 04:41:06 PM »
Tough yes but TAE seems to be an increasing market.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
Maybe Hird should be reading this thread.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2015, 07:32:22 PM »
lv hird that if you not taking drugs  , then nothing can go wrong goWRONggOINGwRONGOR NOtAstheCASEMaYBE  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »
Younger co worker of mine, technical guru left a large Telco a couple of years back,
got sick of the pressure etc. He of all things got involved in a handiman franchise.

Got sick of the franchise, went and got himself a chippies qualifications and now runs his
own handiman business. Going to get his builders license next and work up from there.

So form state of the art IP switching technologies to chippie, certainly a career change there
though I don't know if there would be less pressure running your own building co:( 
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
not sure if I'd want to be in the building trade, have a stepson in the roof tiling game and boy isn't thats a mugs game (as is most of the cottage industry) - he has been doing it for close on to twenty five years with a break of about six years after his mum parted ways with her then husband (he worked for him) and the few years he came down from the coast to earn some cash he would come home of an afternoon totally stuffed and aching head to toe only coming out for dinner then back to bed to be up at five six days a week (weather dependent) - not for me, way past all that so its probably a night packer at woollies for me

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2015, 09:22:28 AM »
Interesting

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261989046952/

Yep, all sounds legit......velly good spelling....he has $790,000 in turnover....or was that $79,000 ??

I was going to buy, but not sure if paypal would let that size transaction go thru ??   8)
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2016, 10:18:53 AM »
http://www.parkaustralia.com.au/index.php/property-details?pid=303

Description Beachport Caravan Park is 390km south east of Adelaide, overlooking the north shore of Rivoli Bay, the jetty and the fishing fleet.  The park occupies a prime site of 2.06 hectares (5.8 acres) on the road leading into the town, just a 4 minute stroll along the foreshore to the main street and all facilities.
 Guests have a broad choice of accommodation:a 4br ensuite Cottage, 4 x super quality Apartments (one with wheel chair access), 2 x Ensuite Cabins have been recently renovated, 5 x Standard Cabins along with 107 powered sites and 4 un-powered sites. 16 Annuals.

The large amenities block has been fully renovated.  Access is by a coded lock system.  Facilities are adequate to cope in busy times.  The park is connected to town water and the town STEDS system.

This is a perfectly presented park with nothing further to spend on capital infrastructure. The opportunity awaits for further development and growth. 

The easily maintained grounds are spacious with typical coastal vegetation and shady trees. All sites are grassed. Other facilities include a small playground.

The solid brick residence offers 3 spacious bedrooms, an open plan kitchen/dining/living area, bathroom, separate WC, a laundry and private back yard.  Reception is accessed directly from the residence.  Since September 2013, the park has operated the RMS booking system.

Price $1,200,000
Status 
Website https:www.beachportcaravanpark.com.au
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2016, 07:00:56 AM »
Bird  Are we checking behind the pillows on the couch for all your small change   ???
Then we can have a SA Swaggers base camp , nonstopppppppppp Parrrrty  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
Or are you proposing a Swagger group buy?
Got your eye on the resident manager/ Swagger party booking co ordinator job?

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »
http://www.parkaustralia.com.au/index.php/property-details?pid=303

Description Beachport Caravan Park is 390km south east of Adelaide, overlooking the north shore of Rivoli Bay, the jetty and the fishing fleet.  The park occupies a prime site of 2.06 hectares (5.8 acres) on the road leading into the town, just a 4 minute stroll along the foreshore to the main street and all facilities.
 Guests have a broad choice of accommodation:a 4br ensuite Cottage, 4 x super quality Apartments (one with wheel chair access), 2 x Ensuite Cabins have been recently renovated, 5 x Standard Cabins along with 107 powered sites and 4 un-powered sites. 16 Annuals.

The large amenities block has been fully renovated.  Access is by a coded lock system.  Facilities are adequate to cope in busy times.  The park is connected to town water and the town STEDS system.

This is a perfectly presented park with nothing further to spend on capital infrastructure. The opportunity awaits for further development and growth. 

The easily maintained grounds are spacious with typical coastal vegetation and shady trees. All sites are grassed. Other facilities include a small playground.

The solid brick residence offers 3 spacious bedrooms, an open plan kitchen/dining/living area, bathroom, separate WC, a laundry and private back yard.  Reception is accessed directly from the residence.  Since September 2013, the park has operated the RMS booking system.

Price $1,200,000
Status 
Website https:www.beachportcaravanpark.com.au

That'd be an awesome gig....
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
That'd be an awesome gig....
That one or the one at Robe...
Although I'd like the one behind the pub at Beachport.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home