Author Topic: Birdsville Bakery Closed  (Read 7029 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Birdsville Bakery Closed
« on: June 04, 2019, 07:19:50 PM »
I see reports getting around that the Birdsville Bakery has closed up shop and likely won't be reopening...not financially viable the owner has been reported as saying.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:26:13 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Birdsville Bakery Closed
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:15:28 PM »
I saw that earlier today. The pub is very concerned about its ability to cope with the BRB with the bakery closing.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 11:55:53 PM »
Saw this earlier, we've decided to take 2 fridges to the bash with food rather than one...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 07:33:10 AM »
How sad for the people of Birdsville.... We who pass through enjoy the luxury of having a Bakery to obtain fresh bread, the pies etc for our takeaway lunch but for those who live there, if the Bakery closes, life will certainly be different.  Mass produced bread, flown in as stores and then frozen at the supermarket?.....hmm ...   feeling for the owners of the Bakery and for the locals.   
Desert Lover

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 08:43:32 AM »
Broncos11 had a camel pie there last week?
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline S.W

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 09:09:00 AM »
If the flood event is being quoted as one of the causes, surely now that all the roads are open and BRB coming up this would be the time to trade and make hay while the sun shines. Must already be in too deep...one wonders how it can be viable when they paid $1.2 million to buy the business 2 years ago.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
I have often wondered (sometimes in jealously of the lifestyle) how many of these seasonal remote business' stay afloat..

$1.2 mill for a remote seasonal bakery ??? how much were the camel pies $1500 ea?

Then again, it maybe the opportunity for someone else to move in and take control for a lot less than 1.2 anythings...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: JPH

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 11:25:49 AM »
Who finished up buying the pub ???

Was it Dick Smith ???

Double venture sounds the go to me - make twice as much $!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 11:30:09 AM »
Double venture sounds the go to me - make twice as much $!

Pies and Pees!
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 04:20:19 PM »
Broncos11 had a camel pie there last week?

I had one too when we went through a couple years ago -- Most terrible pie I've had in along time. It could have been anything and that spiced up and curried you couldn't taste the meat at all.
There was no fresh bread it was all frozen anyway.

Dan.

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 04:53:08 PM »
Jeez AI, you are a hard man to please. Curry pies usually do taste of curry, or i would be really cheesed off. ;D

When we were there last year the bread was fresh and the cakes were very tasty (so were the milkshakes). We were in town about a fortnight after the races, and stayed several days, and the bakery was still in full swing with fresh stuff.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »

I had one too when we went through a couple years ago -- Most terrible pie I've had in along time. It could have been anything and that spiced up and curried you couldn't taste the meat at all.
There was no fresh bread it was all frozen anyway.

Dan.
I've had a curried camel pie the past 3 times I've been to Birdsville and didn't mind them, but I do agree and have said numerous times to friends that it could be curried anything you are eating, it's not like you can taste the meat really. Plenty of fresh bread when we were there aswell as cakes etc, but we don't go there when things like the races or BRB are on.

Offline SimpleSi

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 06:29:51 PM »
One visit, one still frozen camel pie, and from memory no fresh bread.

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 06:46:10 PM »

I have often wondered (sometimes in jealously of the lifestyle) how many of these seasonal remote business' stay afloat..

$1.2 mill for a remote seasonal bakery ??? how much were the camel pies $1500 ea?

Then again, it maybe the opportunity for someone else to move in and take control for a lot less than 1.2 anythings...

Maybe they should've had a few camel toes, that could've improved business

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 03:07:02 PM »
Some of the best pies we have ever had were from the Bakehouse at Bamaga. Their beef and burgundy pies were so good we went back for more!

Sad for the owners of the Birdsville bakery though.
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 10:01:24 PM »
Had a couple of pies there last year and thought they were pretty ordinary and the customer service even worse.

Has the pub been sold yet?

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 08:09:26 AM »
Some of the best pies we have ever had were from the Bakehouse at Bamaga. Their beef and burgundy pies were so good we went back for more!

Sad for the owners of the Birdsville bakery though.

100% agree - best pie I’ve had was the cray pie from Bamaga. Still talking about it 3 years later and asking anyone who goes up there to ship some back for me. They think I’m kidding...

Second best pie was a camel pie from Birdsville. Very sad to see them go.

Third best was pretty standard variety from Moama bakery (the real one in Moama...) back maybe 15 years ago. Haven’t had pies there in a while to know if they’re still up to scratch. Are they even still in their old location, or just on the Port of Echuca now?
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 09:21:40 PM »
Had a couple of pies there last year and thought they were pretty ordinary and the customer service even worse.

Has the pub been sold yet?

I reckon the service in the pub dining room is worse. And that is multiple visits over different trips so not a once off.

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 10:03:27 PM »
I reckon the service in the pub dining room is worse. And that is multiple visits over different trips so not a once off.

That's been our experience too - multiple visits over different trips and each time have been disappointed with the service and food at the pub. After the last visit, we swore we would not be returning for a meal in the future - future Birdsville trips definately won't include a meal at the Birdsville Pub! (and yes, I understand it's an outback pub and not a posh city cafe).
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 10:14:17 PM »
we've always had good service at the pub, though have had very different experiences as far as quality of meals goes. Have had a sensational meal there one time, then the next visit I actually asked for the manager and got the one and only refund on a meal I have ever asked for (and same went for daughter's meal)...it was a very very overcooked / literally charcoaled steak that was supposed to be medium rare, and my daughter's kids steak looked like it had been cut off of my meal. We were offered new steaks to be cooked, but due to how busy it was there we'd already waited over an hour for our meal....i had no issue with the wait time as the place was very busy, but the meal was easily the worst I've been served at any establishment, which was a real shame considering how good the previous meal there was.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
We weren’t that sold on the experience of eating at the pub. Kind of felt like “the thing you do” rather than just enjoying a good meal at a country/outback pub. It felt overly commercial/touristy? Busy as anything too... struggled to get a table. Prices were premium... while I get things have to be trucked/flown in the other pubs seem to make it work with cheaper prices, less patronage, better and more genuine service, and arguably better quality meals. Not saying we regret going - I think you have to go once - but wouldn’t go back.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com