Author Topic: Testing Solar Panels  (Read 3074 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Testing Solar Panels
« on: June 01, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »
I have 9 solar panels on the roof of the caravan build in my garage. Each will be connected individually to a bus bar.  Is there any way I can shine some kind of light onto each panel to test them in turn? What kind of light should I use?
I'd like to test everything before I put the ceiling lining in.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline BC66

• Tent User
Re: Testing Solar Panels
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »
I have 9 solar panels on the roof of the caravan build in my garage. Each will be connected individually to a bus bar.  Is there any way I can shine some kind of light onto each panel to test them in turn? What kind of light should I use?
I'd like to test everything before I put the ceiling lining in.
Keith
The best way is with sunlight, not sure if a light will be enough.
There are two ways to test panels. Open circuit voltage test with a multimeter and amps test.
Connect the pos and neg wires together while in the sun. Connect an Amp Clamp to the wires and measure the amps produced.
Solar panels should have a sticker with the specs on the back, so compare your results with the specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 10:27:38 AM »
As BC66 says, an amp clamp is the only easy way to test the actual output, you will need to hook them up to something to charge though. Thn put the clamp one of the wires from the panel and it will tell you the current going through it.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-clamp-meter---digital/343253.html

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 10:32:00 AM »
Thanks BC and Tryagain. The problem is that I'd like to test them indoors, just to make sure the connections are all right, rather than testing for output. All I need to do is see some kind of voltage across the leads. Outdoors would be easy but where's the fun in that?
I can't get the caravan out of the garage until the build is finished. Hence the need to test for continuity beforehand.
If I could shine some kind of light onto each panel and see a voltage across the appropriate terminals, that would be good.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
As BC66 says, an amp clamp is the only easy way to test the actual output, you will need to hook them up to something to charge though. Thn put the clamp one of the wires from the panel and it will tell you the current going through it.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-clamp-meter---digital/343253.html
No, testing the amps you don’t need to be connected to anything. I used to whole sale solar panels. Join the 2 wires together, face the sun and hook on the amp clamp. Same with OCV. Face the sun and hook up a multimeter to each wire, make sure they are not still connected to each other. The multimeter will read the voltage.
You only need to be connected to a battery if you are testing a solar controller

The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »
May I suggest You should install these as well for protection
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253682809965
And use these instead of the bus bar
https://www.jaycar.com.au/solar-panel-y-cable-2-plug-to-1-socket-300mm/p/PS5112
As well as one of these inside the van
https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/c/247671/circuit-breaker---two-pole.html

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 11:10:58 AM »
BC thanks again for that.

All of this wiring is above the ceiling lining and the only access I will have after the lining goes in is through a little 150mm square ceiling hatch which will give access to all of the terminals at two bus bars, one for ground and the other for the positive leads. I'd like to be able to disconnect panels one at a time to investigate any future problems.  So there's not a lot of accessible room for extra stuff up there. Each lead will be labelled so that I can tell which panel it is from.

A fuse on each panel presents a similar problem. I have only an isolation switch prior to the MPPT regulator. So I guess I should put a big 100 amp breaker in there just in case. The system is 990 watts.

But surprise surprise! Looks like I'm getting about 0.5 volts off each panel just from the flouro lights in the garage. That's enough for me to test for continuity. It's the last thing I expected.

Thanks guys.
Keith

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »
No, testing the amps you don’t need to be connected to anything. I used to whole sale solar panels. Join the 2 wires together, face the sun and hook on the amp clamp. Same with OCV. Face the sun and hook up a multimeter to each wire, make sure they are not still connected to each other. The multimeter will read the voltage.
You only need to be connected to a battery if you are testing a solar controller

Something new learnt for the day, might test out the companion solar blanket later

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 12:36:05 PM »
Something new learnt for the day, might test out the companion solar blanket later

My 120watt 12 volt panel has an Open Circuit Voltage (ocv) of 22.03 volts
Rated current of 6.6 amps
But the short circuit current is 7.06 amps.

The short-circuit current is the current through the solar cell when the voltage across the solar cell is zero (i.e., when the solar cell is short circuited).

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 12:40:20 PM »
If I could shine some kind of light onto each panel and see a voltage

Would a UV light, like the old Ray Lamps work ???

Might have to have a play later :D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 12:53:41 PM »
An old school flood light might work

Offline Herks

• Tent User
  • Not lost, just geographically displaced!!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 03:27:05 PM »
An old school flood light might work

Yes it will, the stronger the light the better, it won't give same output as direct sunlight but will give you proof of concept.
Dmax Duel Cab LSU. Canopy, duel batteries, GVM Upgrade, Light Bar, Draw system, Fridge slide and much more. Avan Aspire Pop Top van, Many mods, 12v, 240v.