Author Topic: Off road towing lessons  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Off road towing lessons
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
As I've just bought my 1st campertrailer and never towed off road I thought that some lessons might be a good idea.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the Melbourne area?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Off road towing lessons
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
Lessons?? Put together a weekend away and theres plenty here that can show you how to... I've run one for my club in the past, where we went up and over Mt Stirling - many never knew their trailers could go anywhere near that :)

Its not that different to towing on the road - drive to the conditions.

Failing that 4wd Victoria has an offroad course these days
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »
Its not that different to towing on the road - drive to the conditions.

Yep. If you can confidently reverse it, you'll be OK.

It's surprising, the number that can't.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 06:05:06 PM »
Yep. If you can confidently reverse it, you'll be OK.

It's surprising, the number that can't.....

It is so much more than this Geoff. 

Whilst reversing is important have a think about stopping distances, pivot points, rear vision, changes in acceleration rates dependant on the power of the towing vehicle from stationary and overtaking, length of vehicle and turning circle therfore cornering at intersections.

If more people considered all these things, maybe I would have less work to do.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »
It is so much more than this Geoff. 

Whilst reversing is important have a think about stopping distances, pivot points, rear vision, changes in acceleration rates dependant on the power of the towing vehicle from stationary and overtaking, length of vehicle and turning circle therfore cornering at intersections.

If more people considered all these things, maybe I would have less work to do.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

I was tacking on to the back of Bird's post, but point taken.

The lowest common denominator should always be considered....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:08 PM »
Alan Loy
 Treg up & make dust  . Get the feel of home following you to where you will sleep tonight , then go there . Travel will teach you just where you can go , experience will tell where you shouldn't be . Enjoy the J Curve of learning .
 What tug are you using   ??? as this can decide just where you might get to  .
    Be Careful   &  Enjoy                    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:20 AM »
Speewa I've got a 3.0 Patrol that I have set up for touring with a 2" lift and engine enhancements.  I will want to go to the high country as well as all those great touring destinations.

To be honest its probably the high country that concerns me most as its the closest and more likely to get technically difficult (particularly if it gets wet.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 06:55:44 AM »
There are lots of places in the High Country to camp . Park the CT then its base camp for adventures . Not really much point winching your CT if you really don't have to  . Getting it there is really just a matter of driving as it will follow along    :cheers:

theins

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »
There are courses around Melbourne on offer. A colleague of mine did one last year and was very happy.
I have never done one myself, am quite comfortable towing and started exploring off road carefully.

As always when you come to an obstacle - take it easy, review, assess the risk and decide on best approach - which might be reversing for a bit and taking a different route.

With respect to the high country - plan your routes and assess contour lines to avoid sections that get too steep until you are confident. I under-appreciated the contour lines on a recent trip into the King Valley and the descent got a bit more exciting than I would have liked...

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »
Speewa I've got a 3.0 Patrol that I have set up for touring with a 2" lift and engine enhancements.  I will want to go to the high country as well as all those great touring destinations.

To be honest its probably the high country that concerns me most as its the closest and more likely to get technically difficult (particularly if it gets wet.

There are lots of places in the High Country to camp . Park the CT then its base camp for adventures . Not really much point winching your CT if you really don't have to  . Getting it there is really just a matter of driving as it will follow along    :cheers:

With respect to the high country - plan your routes and assess contour lines to avoid sections that get too steep until you are confident. I under-appreciated the contour lines on a recent trip into the King Valley and the descent got a bit more exciting than I would have liked...

If you are coming in from the Dargo Side there's easy 2wd accessible camping along Wonnangatta River all the way to Eaglevale, and Talbotville isn't too bad to get to. Plenty to see and do around that area.

This site lists places where CT's aren't a good idea/aren't allowed in the high country. 

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/alpine-national-park/things-to-do/camping
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 01:46:47 PM »
Quote from: Alan Loy

I think you expect too much from the HCountry....  there isn't that much there that you will need 4wd let alone get into shyte.

wait till November when the tracks reopen and post up a trip... base out of Sheepyard ro similar and go for it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »
OK guys I'll stop panicking  :cheers:

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »
Alan Loy   When you are out there on a track & it gets a bit Dicky , jam your right leg against the side of the truck . That will stop the foot shaking as you power out of trouble . Go explore try Tunnel bend as a jumping off spot , just past Sheepyards . Enjoy                  :cheers: