Author Topic: Ray's Outdoors......No More Discounts  (Read 33442 times)

Offline Jaysea

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • To go where I have never been
    • My 4WD Site
Re: Ray's Outdoors......No More Discounts
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:08 PM »
Just sent this reply to their web comment

Im one of several rays members who is disappointed with the new reward system. If the discount was on sales not just full price items or you didnt lose the point after 90 days then I am sure you would gain more loyal purchasers..  Don't underestimate the power of social media as there is a lot of negative chatter at the moment.

Lets see if I get a response

Jaysea

2012 Prado GXL + Adventure Camper

My build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17776.0
My photos & travels: www.lensontheroad.com
My facebook: http://tinyurl.com/k2haolg

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 11:53:16 PM »
I just quoted you ... word for word ... Let's see if they do reply to the contact and what they have to say.

Good idea, lets all get onto it.

other than that, .........

You can always say, 'cheaper online'!   >:D  >:D  >:D
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 07:00:55 AM »
Rays Outdoors, just like its stablemate BCF is far from cheap at the best of times.
The specials are OK, but the standard pricing is more often at the higher end of the spectrum.

I would hazard a guess that a fair bit of thought went into making the decision to restructure discount policy. With the primary motive orbiting closely in the vicinity of profit and dividend.
The discount structure being dismantled is probably a hangover from the previous owner, and the powers that be at SRG no doubt want to bring Rays into line with the rest of the group.

I very rarely purchase goods from Rays, but do enjoy mooching about in these types of shops. Since their takeover I've  noticed a shift in the product mix that is slowly but surely creeping closer to BCF's.

Its all about the bottom line.

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »
The specials are OK, but the standard pricing is more often at the higher end of the spectrum.

I buy the stuff from them when on special & I'm sure most people on here also do. As such, this new loyalty scheme will be completely useless to all of us
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 09:22:57 AM »
I’ve only ever bought 1 item from Ray’s as I’ve always found the pricing similar to BCF. IE: occasionally have some good specials if you have been monitoring prices, but more often than not the advertised sale price isn’t that competitive.

Lately I’ve been visiting my 2 local camping shops to buy sleeping bags and tent. With both these items they have been far cheaper than the above 2 shops. Plus the staff are extremely friendly and knowledgeable. 

So with the change to Ray’s rewards card, just means I less card in my car centre console as looks like it’s going in the bin.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »
Rays Outdoors, just like its stablemate BCF is far from cheap at the best of times.

I would hazard a guess that a fair bit of thought went into making the decision to restructure discount policy. With the primary motive orbiting closely in the vicinity of profit and dividend.
The discount structure being dismantled is probably a hangover from the previous owner, and the powers that be at SRG no doubt want to bring Rays into line with the rest of the group.

I very rarely purchase goods from Rays, but do enjoy mooching about in these types of shops. Since their takeover I've  noticed a shift in the product mix that is slowly but surely creeping closer to BCF's.

Its all about the bottom line.
Post of the year.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Wrex

• Swag User
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »
Rays outdoors here in WA is useless. A few years ago we walked into one in Adelaide and was blown away by the range. Here they sell Patio furniture and the Joondalup store had 4 tents on display, at a camping store.

On leaving i told them about the above email i received, handed them my rewards card and said farewell.

Offline Top.ender

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "I WONDER WHERE THIS TRACK GOES"
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »
Rays outdoors here in WA is useless. A few years ago we walked into one in Adelaide and was blown away by the range. Here they sell Patio furniture and the Joondalup store had 4 tents on display, at a camping store.

On leaving i told them about the above email i received, handed them my rewards card and said farewell.
Agreed... :cup: :cup: :cup:

100 Series Diesel with lots of stuff
2014 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
Oh the humanity. No more discounts. Will somebody PLEASE think of the children!
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
I never pay full price for anything and rays won't be getting my business on full priced stuff anyway.....

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
I haven't been to a Rays/BCF/Anaconda for yonks. Award RV is 5 mins up the road, have a massive range of stock with brands the other lot dont have, and the blokes there know what they're on about.
Plus, 10% loyalty discount,  on whatever, whenever.
Cheapest gas bottle refills in the area too.
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »
I haven't been to a Rays/BCF/Anaconda for yonks. Award RV is 5 mins up the road, have a massive range of stock with brands the other lot dont have, and the blokes there know what they're on about.
Plus, 10% loyalty discount,  on whatever, whenever.
Cheapest gas bottle refills in the area too.

Award rv are huge and have great service but there prices ,holly crap, there pricey, better of buying from there fleabay store then going in to collect
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 05:55:40 PM »
Quote from: berlitza
Award rv are huge and have great service but there prices ,holly crap, there pricey, better of buying from there fleabay store then going in to collect
Huge yes - large range yes - cheap they aint that flash...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »
and then you have BIG4 going in the opposite direction...

Here is a quick snap shot of the improvements to the new BIG4 Loyalty Club:
1.   BIG4 Members continue to save 10% up to $40 per stay.
2.   There are now two tiers of membership - Blue & Gold. Current and new members are given automatic Blue Member status.
3.   Earn status credits each time you stay at a BIG4 Holiday Park. When you reach 100 status credits, you will be upgraded to Gold Member status.
4.   Gold Members receive an uncapped 10% discount.

5.   Access to national brand offers, giving you great savings and rewards all year round.
6.   Receive monthly Member Only promotions, discounts and offers.
7.   New card - we have a shiny new plastic card that will arrive in the post within 2 - 3 weeks of your membership being renewed.
8.   Temporary pass - If you have renewed and are waiting for your new card to arrive, we will send you a temporary pass to your nominated email address and it can be used to take advantage of BIG4 discounts and Member offers.
9.   A member page - we have created a dedicated area on our website where you can securely login in and check your status credits, view and access our national partner offers, update your contact details, renew your membership, print your temporary pass and view your stay history.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Quote from: D4D
and then you have BIG4 going in the opposite direction...

Here is a quick snap shot of the improvements to the new BIG4 Loyalty Club:
1.   BIG4 Members continue to save 10% up to $40 per stay.
2.   There are now two tiers of membership - Blue & Gold. Current and new members are given automatic Blue Member status.
3.   Earn status credits each time you stay at a BIG4 Holiday Park. When you reach 100 status credits, you will be upgraded to Gold Member status.
4.   Gold Members receive an uncapped 10% discount.

5.   Access to national brand offers, giving you great savings and rewards all year round.
6.   Receive monthly Member Only promotions, discounts and offers.
7.   New card - we have a shiny new plastic card that will arrive in the post within 2 - 3 weeks of your membership being renewed.
8.   Temporary pass - If you have renewed and are waiting for your new card to arrive, we will send you a temporary pass to your nominated email address and it can be used to take advantage of BIG4 discounts and Member offers.
9.   A member page - we have created a dedicated area on our website where you can securely login in and check your status credits, view and access our national partner offers, update your contact details, renew your membership, print your temporary pass and view your stay history.
The only downer is its yearly fee..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »
The only downer is its yearly fee..

$50 for 2 years is ok
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Dice

• Swag User
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »

Here is the reply I received from Ray's exactly what I thought I would get

Hi Craig,

We thank you for taking the time to send through your feedback regarding the change to the Ray’s VIP to Ray’s Rewards.

We acknowledge that this change may be unsettling for some of our customers however we have worked hard to improve the current VIP offer and find ways that we can provide greater value for our loyal customers. The change in the club will enable our customers to earn 10%*credit on full priced items instead of 6.5% discount, the 10% credit can be used within three months and with the additional benefit of receipt-free warranty for purchases made using the membership.

Again we thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback and we have passed it onto senior management for review regarding the changes to the club.

Kind regards
Christina
2013 BT50 GT Auto, 2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
      Here is the reply I received from Ray's exactly what I thought I would get

Hi Craig,

We thank you for taking the time to send through your feedback regarding the change to the Ray’s VIP to Ray’s Rewards.

We acknowledge that this change may be unsettling for some of our customers however we have worked hard to improve the current VIP offer and find ways that we can provide greater value for our loyal customers. The change in the club will enable our customers to earn 10%*credit on full priced items instead of 6.5% discount, the 10% credit can be used within three months and with the additional benefit of receipt-free warranty for purchases made using the membership.

Again we thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback and we have passed it onto senior management for review regarding the changes to the club.

Kind regards
Christina

Be interesting to see if senior management take it further I am not sure how taking points away after 90 days is beneficial to members as you would never build up many points and most people look to purchase sale items anyway.  Looks like more trips to some smaller stores in different towns for us.

Offline Neil_cricket

• Swag User
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »
Mustn't have my email correct, as I didn't get the email  ;D

But as previously posted I never pay full price either & wouldn't use the discount within 90 days anyway  >:D

Think they're going to loose some business with this approach
Neil
Currently 80 series landcruiser

Offline Brucer

• Tent User
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 08:12:09 PM »
Be interesting to see if senior management take it further I am not sure how taking points away after 90 days is beneficial to members as you would never build up many points and most people look to purchase sale items anyway.  Looks like more trips to some smaller stores in different towns for us.
It's not beneficial. It's just marketing spin. As a public company, their only duty is to their shareholders, therefore the one and only reason for the change is they reckon they'll make more money this way.
Outback Campers Birdsville, Nissan Pathfinder R51

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »

My "automated reply":

Hi My name here,
As a valued Ray’s Outdoors customer we thank you for taking the time to send through your feedback regarding the change to the Ray’s VIP to Ray’s Rewards.
We understand that this change may be unsettling for some of our customers however we have worked hard to improve the current VIP offer and find ways that we can provide greater value for our loyal customers. The change in the club will enable our customers to earn 10%*credit on full priced items that can be used within three months rather than receiving a 6.5%* discount with additional benefit of receipt-free warranty for purchases made using the membership.
Again we thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback and we have passed it onto senior management for review.
Kind regards
Christina

And this is my reply:

Hi Christina,
Thanks for the reply?
I am not an “unsettled customer” as you seem to think, and how rude of you to say so.  I AM THE REASON YOUR BUSINESS EXISTS!  I can see that this “change” is merely a way of losing a “valued customer”.   Please remove this “unsettled customer” from your mailing list and delete this “unsettled customers” information from your system, as I no longer wish to trade with you in any capacity.
Being part of a CAMPING forum, there are many “unsettled (or should that be valued?) customers” that now are rethinking their purchases with your “chain”, due to the discount “restructure”.  Effectively, you are doing away with any discount to your “Loyal Customers” which is disappointing.  Many of the forum members share my thoughts ... it’s currently being discussed at length.
I do agree, it is your right as a business to do as you see fit with your share holders dividends.  This change may be good for you, but what about those “unsettled customers” who don’t purchase at your store every other week?  After all, how many tents, camp ovens, chairs, eskies, tent pegs, ropes, or sleeping bags can one “unsettled customer” actually buy in a year?  Well I suggest, the answer to that question is “not very many” ... which is precisely the “Rays Credits” your “unsettled customers” are now going to receive.
Luckily for me (although not for you), I also have a smaller local camping store with which I will now be visiting more often.  Their range may not be as large, but they are often cheaper by far, and will order in anything I require.
Unsettled Indeed!
My name here

The Cheek of them!  I'm voting with my feet.  *RudeWord* them.

Kit_e

2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »

My "automated reply":

And this is my reply:

The Cheek of them!  I'm voting with my feet.  *RudeWord* them.

Kit_e

And wallets

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »
I haven't had a reply yet to mine but think it will be very similar to yours Kit-e. I will be going elsewhere where I can get best value for my dollars
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 10:20:19 PM »
Quote from: Brucer
It's not beneficial. It's just marketing spin. As a public company, their only duty is to their shareholders, therefore the one and only reason for the change is they reckon they'll make more money this way.
Bingo.. and losing few 100 odd once a month/year customers spending $50ea wont mean jack Shit to their bottom line.... they would have already factored it into the equation.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jaysea

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • To go where I have never been
    • My 4WD Site
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 11:22:02 PM »
Good to see they have really considered my response and given a personalised response

As a valued Ray’s Outdoors customer we thank you for taking the time to send through your feedback regarding the change to the Ray’s VIP to Ray’s Rewards.

We acknowledge that this change may be unsettling for some of our customers however we have worked hard to improve the current VIP offer and find ways that we can provide greater value for our loyal customers. The change in the club will enable our customers to earn 10%*credit on full priced items that can be used within three months rather than receiving a 6.5%* discount with additional benefit of receipt-free warranty for purchases made using the membership.

Again we thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback and we have passed it onto senior management for review.

NOT>:D. I now know we are not respected as individual customers
Jaysea

2012 Prado GXL + Adventure Camper

My build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17776.0
My photos & travels: www.lensontheroad.com
My facebook: http://tinyurl.com/k2haolg