Author Topic: Camper trailer advice please  (Read 3807 times)

Offline max and eddie

• Learning the Ropes
Camper trailer advice please
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
We are looking at purchasing a Lifestyle Extenda camper trailer - having seen them online and a recent camping trip. Does anyone have some advice re this model and accessories that are essential. Further hints/ tips for first time camper trailer buyers/ users would be invaluable. Thanks

Offline Lori

• Tent User
Re: Camper trailer advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:27:34 PM »
We have a walkthru, very similar specs to the Extenda.

Are you planning on putting in power? We got the option of the bigger front boot (which we love and was well worth the extra $$$) we have put our 12v system in the boot but the Extenda has the option of a lockable side locker, which we probably would have opted for if it was available on the walkthru.

We also got an extra water tank, we are planning on touring in remote places, we find the one tank lasts for around 4 days for the seven of us, using it liberally.

We got the stone guard with extra Gerry holders (again, got it for touring)

We got the struts, which my husband assures me is helpful, but you could do these yourself much cheaper if your handy and have access to a welder.

We did all the power ourselves for much cheaper than what we would of payed.

We also replaced the existing kitchen with a drifta DPOR. Love it!

We also upgraded the hitch to a DO35.

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
What upgrades are important to you really depend on how you camp.

Free camp or caravan parks?
Powered or unpowered?
How long do you go for?
We got the struts to help the lift the tent.
The larger boot because e need more room than the small standard one and it was cheaper and better than we could do it ourselves.
The extra tank because it fits in with our future plans, but probably not worth it if we camped for a week at most.
The different hitch was personal preference.
The drifta kitchen because I wanted a kitchen where everything was at hand and I didn't have to dig through boxes all the time (not to mention spending 30-40mins at the end of camp playing Tetris to get everything back in)
The stone guard husband wanted, I wasn't so fussed on it and so far it hasn't been overly useful.

Offline max and eddie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:46:24 PM »
Thanks Lori

We have two little ones - 2 and 3 y.o (could not imagine 5) short term we are planning weeks here and there with the ability to undertake longer trips down the track - we don't want to refit / purchase a new camper as our needs change - it will be a combination of free and powered camping.
You are obviously happy with the Lifestyle - how did you get you Drifta kitchen installed? was it expensive?
Any other hints about the Lifestyle you have picked up
Appreciate your feedback

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:56:33 PM »
Hi max and Debbie , 
We have the extenda, we also got the larger front tool box, 
Full annex. I originally only got 2 panels but recently got the remaining panels.  Just gives a bit more room or privacy Asrequired
I got the combination jerry can holder / stone guard gives additional either water or fuel capacity with now having room for 5 jerries.

In hindsight should of got provision for boat racks
And the utility drawer.

All up am happy with the extenda.
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 06:27:38 AM »
Get the boat rack mounts fitted, you can add the racks later if you want them.

Full annexe walls is a no brainer.

Stone guards a goodie. It also comes in handy as a towel rack.

If your not confident about installing the electrics, get them to do the 12 volt stuff.
But get the left and right side lockable compartments either way.

The standard front toolbox isn't all that weatherproof, so if you can slash the cash go the upgraded aluminium one with built in pole compartment.

The kitchen is a personal choice.

Happy camping.

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »
We gave the measurements to Drifta and got them to make it up and send it out to us, it wasn't a small ticket item but it was important to me that I had a permantly organized kitchen where everything had its own place and I wouldn't need to move them to make them usable once at camp. For me it was worth every cent of the $1800 cost.

We have had our camper for 8 months, in that time we haven't used more than one wall on the annex, but that has been good weather more than anything and I can deffinately see a time when all the walls would be needed.

Again, love the big front boot.

If we could of got the side lockers on our model we would have. With some of the mods we have done/ will do, we could see how they would have been a great solution. We probably would have sacrificed the Gerry/stone guard for it.

If I can figure out how to add photos I will post some photos of our add ons.

Offline max and eddie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
Thank you for the wonderful advice

Drifta seems to be the way to go

Just wondering if anyone compared the Lifestyle with the Customline or any other makes of camper trailer - if you did what swayed you to the Lifestyle?

We favour the lifestyle but are interested in the reasons

Thanks

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
Hi Max and Eddie,

We also have the Extenda,
What we should have got was the brackets for the Boat rack for future and the additional water tank.
We did get the Pantry pull out, the cutlery draw, the drop down shelf below the kitchen additional Gas outlet, the linen draw below the bed and the slide out wardrobe.
As well as a full annex extended to 3 metre wide.
We are happy with our set up and carry all we need within the pull out pantry/cutlery draw so we are not sure why you would need to replace this set up with a drifter unit.
I,m sure the guys at Lifestyle will supply what you need if required.
All the best with your search, by carrying research you will get a great CT I,m sure.

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »
Hi I was down to three,Customline. Camel and lifestyle all local to me in Brisbane, all had pluses and strengths in the end it was the 10 ft x 10 ft tent that suited us, with either camel or Customline I would of gone the bigger tent, was able to set up the spare room with the set up for the three kids and it worked, when I did the Customline or camel they didn't work for us,, 
This is what it came downto for us,, 
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline 02-SR5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »
I have the Lifestyle explorer (imported) model. We decided to buy local for ease for any warranty or future upgrade and budget.

If I had the coin, I would trade it for a Customline in a heart beat. I just think they are a better quality over Lifestyle campers. But there is nothing with the quality their campers.

In your budget,  the decider would whom can provide the best complete package for you.
2011 Challenger with some mods

2012 Lifestyle Explorer

Offline max and eddie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »
Thank you all for the advice - very much appreciated

Time to make the best decision with the information available

I have been in touch with Lifestyle and am impressed with the service and communication thus far - always a good start

All the best

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Dont discount the used trailer market.. some massive bargains to be had and most come with heaps of extras and additions.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Turbojohn

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »
I was tossing up between both lifestyle and customline when looking for a camper. Both are a fantastic product but ended up going with the lifestyle (explorer+) only besause the trailer was better built and customline couldn't quite match the extra bits that lifestyle were including for pretty much the same price. Happy hunting :cheers:

Offline Kydar

• Swag User
  • Australia, Love it or Leave it.
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 08:10:03 PM »
We went the Walkthru over the Extenda based purely on our budget. Yes there were minor issues and yes we're happy with it. We wanted the walkway at the foot of the bed for two reasons , storage and convenience getting in and out of bed ( it is handy not crawling all over the whinger in the middle of the night whilst trying to find the wizzer after a few cans) . However I personally think for our little family of 4, inside the main tent is probably more space than we actually need. It is a big tent (12ft). Im sure its probably a bit heavier too. If I had my time again I certainly wouldnt disregard the used market as Lost suggested. You'd probably get more for your buck.
Good luck with your purchase. :cheers:
2014 Nissan Patrol with mods
2012 Lifestyle Walkthru.

BernieS

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
We are looking at purchasing a Lifestyle Extenda camper trailer - having seen them online and a recent camping trip. Does anyone have some advice re this model and accessories that are essential. Further hints/ tips for first time camper trailer buyers/ users would be invaluable. Thanks

Hi Max and Eddie,
We have the Heavy Duty Off Road Lifestyle 360. (fully aussie made) Many of the options and extras are available for several models of Lifestyles CT.
Here's what we added and have found invaluable

1) Full Annex walls. Initially we only purchased the A and B walls for the Annex (that's the area behind and beside the kitchen) Since we have added the C and D walls. Mainly because I found the lack of privacy at night annoying, not to mention bugs, mozzies and flies the size of a small aeroplanes out west were not the kind of things I like to have to spend time swatting.

2) The larger front boot storage box with incorporated pole holder... tonnes of room for storing annex roof, walls, sand floor, shade cloth floor for under your CT tent, cables, sullage hose (if you plan to use van parks) the dogs bed. etc...

3) The under Kitchen Storage Box. Brilliant for storing pots, pans, kettles etc whilst camping. Keeps everything at hand and allowed me to do away with an extra prep table.

4) Additional 12 volt outlets at the rear. This allows us to hook up our kitchen and annex lighting with ease.

5) Extra Spreader Bars. You'll def. need these if it rains.

6) Gas struts to the tent bows. These will make lifting the tent into position a breeze.

7) Get yourself a small step ladder as well. (aldi has a great little study 2 step ladder - bought a second one last week for the house, the other stays in the CT) Makes lifting the tent easier. I stand on the ladder to push the tent up, whilst hubby pulls it into position from the other side. The ladder makes it easier to attach the annex roof too.

Hope this helps.
Bernie.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:06:19 PM by BernieS »

Offline meandclan

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »
If you can afford a little extra go for the Aussie made customline... you're creating real jobs for Australians...but  each to their own as the budget allows...  Im sure my clothes were made in chinese and bangladeshi sweat shops (on 4 corners two weeks ago) so i cant get on my high horse about it.

I'm in no way associated with the company & havent even inspected the Customline because its out of my price range. Im only voting for the Aussie Battler since opinions were sought. A solid Aussie CT wont leave you stuck out the back of Bourke. Good luck with what ever you purchase