Author Topic: Storm watch Brisbane  (Read 61631 times)

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Storm watch Brisbane
« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
What, something happened outside a city!!!!!   No way!    But a lot of people were hit hard, you just do not hear about it.  We were very lucky, lot of damage to our driveway (it is 700 metres long) and a beautiful big tree came down in our yard, but that is all, no loss of power and no buildings damaged. Now just lots of chain sawing and work to do on the drive way.  Like I said, we were lucky.  But I have to say trying to find out on the BOM site how much rain/storm we were expecting was hopeless (we live beside a river).  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
We're rolling into day 3 with no power here. Energex is saying possibly 8:30pm tonight for reconnection.
No power means no water and no pump or aerator on the septic. We fine with everything else, but we have a biolytix waste water system and don't want it to fail again.

We're living out of the camping trailer at the moment, but just had to chuck a heap of food from the freezer that we couldn't fit into the camping fridge.

Looks like the kids in the neighborhood are still sleeping and I've finally got data on my phone this morning, it has been a struggle to send a text since Thursday afternoon when we lost power and everyone jumped in their phones.

The last couple of days have been just like I remember things after big weather events when I was a kid up north. No power and only ABC am radio for info (and they only talk about what's happening in the city).

Pete, i think you need to get a genie if you are self sufficent for water n sewer. We lived  for 28 years in the NSW Blue Mts and experienced power lost often due to high winds and bush fires and quickly realised that we needed an alternate power source.
I didn't need power to light up the district but rather a power source for the water pump, and pump and aerator on septic, to keep fridge running and to power the ignition on a backup Rinnai LPG hot water heater. I just ran a 3.5 kva genie in for running leads to each item. Worked well and with the price of a genies today would be worth considering ( I ended up with a second 2kva unit I purchased from jet crew for caravan but utilised in blackouts as well.
As mentioned I ran a second hot water heater (Rinna LPG) for the kitchen and laundry and had it plumbed in to also run bathrooms in times of power failures by bypassing main electric storage heater which was nice in the middle of winter when I could still have a hot shower.
For lights I just utilised the camper battery and camping fluro's before the LED strip lights were an option. Gas cooking and wood fire we were all set for a camp at home. The longest we went without power was 6 days but on that occassion we were stuck due to fallen trees.
I heard calls to the ABC with people saying they are stuck without water due to power failures and I think go buy a genie in fact I think Aldi have genies today for $350.00.
Pete as to having a Biolytic system I can't help you there, hope your worms don't die.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »
I think that some of us who weren't as badly affected as we were in 2011 think that it wasn't so bad.

But for some it was. REALLY was.

Hope everyone is doing OK with the clean up, any further flooding still happening around the place (not so much Brissy now), etc.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »
We were lucky (we usually are) at Ferny Hills. Just a decent bit of rain. No real damage. No real flooding. We're in the rain shadow of Camp, Nebo & Glorious mountains.

We did get smashed that one time (2009 I think) in what we call The Gap Cyclone. That was scary. The place literally looked like a war zone. Virtually every tree was broken across vast swathes of the place. My backyard is about 35 feet deep and I couldn't see the back fence. Completely white with wind and rain and hail. Hope we never see something like that again.

Last week - for us it was very much meh (and we're grateful).
Trackabout owner.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2017, 05:10:53 PM »
We did get smashed that one time (2009 I think) in what we call The Gap Cyclone. That was scary. The place literally looked like a war zone. Virtually every tree was broken across vast swathes of the place. My backyard is about 35 feet deep and I couldn't see the back fence. Completely white with wind and rain and hail. Hope we never see something like that again.

I remember that - it was insane! :o I was living in Kenmore Hills at the time, pretty much the other side of Mt Coot Tha to The Gap - we were completely shielded from all the damage but I still remember it being pretty wild, and I did see a lot of the devastation afterwards (had a friend who was living in The Gap back then).
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »
Heads up  west of Archerfield  up to Tewantin  a line of nasty little storm cells headed your way http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml   And the hail
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=higgins%20storm%20chasing
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:33:17 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
Heads up  west of Archerfield  up to Tewantin  a line of nasty little storm cells headed your way http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml   And the hail
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=higgins%20storm%20chasing
dont get any of that down here in melbourne :P
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »
Apologies to all of my neighbors, it's my fault the storm split in half and wrapped around us without dropping any rain at all.

I foolishly spent the afternoon dumping the diverter pipes, cleaning the gutters and packing away all the bits of leftover sheet metal from doing the fence last weekend.
So sorry, lesson learned, it won't happen again, I promise... ;)

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »
Can see lightening (north) on the horizon; but no storm clouds or rain at Paddington atm....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »
The big tease.....

And the wait for rain continues.... :|

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
We just had an extended weekend at Bigriggen & had a storm come over latish Friday arvo :D

Pea / marble size hail for 20 seconds & about 10 minutes of rain = about 6mm :'(, but lightning & thunder carried on for another hour or 2.

Then turned into a hot weekend - we saw 33` Saturday then 35` Sunday under the awning, with a total fire ban being imposed Sunday morning - camping without a fire :o :'(

Reckon the Creek temperature was only about 21` though - bewdiful! :D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2017, 02:51:57 PM »
Hope everyone's getting a good drink, especially those on tanks etc :cup:

We only got 6mm overnight, but that's 3 x our total for all of September :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »
Pissing down here with a bit of heavy stuff still coming.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

KingBilly

« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
Bit of floooding in Bundy apparently.

Only 1.6 mm here since 9am

KB

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2017, 04:58:13 PM »
Bit of floooding in Bundy apparently.

Only 1.6 mm here since 9am

KB
not just flooding....they've had a water spout clean up some of the town also. Read warnings this morning on Weatherzone forum this could happen around those parts today, appears to have happened and damaged parts of town.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #240 on: October 02, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
12 mm here so far. Nice and steady drizzle, which is good as we do suffer from some erosion with a quick deluge.

The 2 house tanks and tank off the car shed are half full, the 2 tanks off the machinery shed are a third each, so we'll get through to the storm season.
Using the fire tank on the 'tilly and dam water for fruit and vegies.

The local water carrier bloke lives in our district and when I see him, he keeps asking how I'm going for water. ;D

It's good business for him but he said to me that he can't believe how much water some people use.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #241 on: October 02, 2017, 06:38:34 PM »
Bundy's had around 240mm...... that's friggin wet and we're now starting to get the same system here.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #242 on: October 02, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »
Bundy's had around 240mm...... that's friggin wet and we're now starting to get the same system here.
it's actually had 300mm now according to recent post on weatherzone forum

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2018, 06:54:43 PM »
Well its that time again .. Hoping everyone that got the storms yesterday and this arvo, got through without damage ..
Looking like  those camping Fraser are going to be in for a wild ride tonight .. Stay safe campers
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2018, 07:46:47 PM »
Well its that time again .. Hoping everyone that got the storms yesterday and this arvo, got through without damage ..
Looking like  those camping Fraser are going to be in for a wild ride tonight .. Stay safe campers

Massive damage to Bunnings in Gympie this afternoon.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
Plenty of tennis ball sized hail reported, stretching from Kingaroy area through to Gin Gin after this arvo / evenings storms, not to mention tornados also. Feel for those that have copped damaged to property, having gone through something similar about 4 years ago, our kids are so scared of storms these days.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »
Quote from: edz
i reckon with the forecast, I'd have bailed...

Gotta feel for farmers who were just gettin ready to pick.

Destructive winds and large hailstones have smashed parts of south-east Queensland as tornadoes formed near Kingaroy and two women and an infant were injured when hail smashed their car's windows further west.

Earlier in the afternoon, seven-centimetre hail smashed tiny Kumbia, north-west of Dalby, while three-to-five-centimetre stones fell from Gympie east to Proston.
More than 4000 homes were still without power, mostly in the Gympie region, at 7.30pm on Thursday.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/all-hell-breaks-loose-as-rain-hail-tornadoes-lash-seq-20181011-p5093u.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:18:02 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Chappie

• Tent User
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2018, 07:21:56 AM »
I grabbed this from the radar midday yesterday to send to the wife as her parents place is under  the western cell.  They have been in Toowoomba for appointments, home today.
Chappie

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2018, 07:39:35 AM »
Wednesday was supposed to be the day for the big storms.

One guy on TV last night, seemed surprised we missed anything wild Wednesday and had felt we dodged a bullet.

No so much yesterday it seemed....

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »
Holy Shite. Just saw the news this morning. Mini tornadoes, hail the size of tennis balls, your just missing pestilence to make it divine retribution.
So much for the climate change myth. Hope your all ok.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.