57 (83.8%)
Drivers side
7 (10.3%)
I have one both sides
3 (4.4%)
I have one both sides and the rear
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: 4WD Awning - which side?  (Read 6801 times)

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
4WD Awning - which side?
« on: August 29, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »
I have an Amarok Highline, and am about to get a roof rack mounted awning.

Which side is preferred to fit it? Drivers or passenger side? Can be fitted either side of course, but is there any reason to fit either side?

If I fit drivers side and I am somewhere alone, it can protect the drivers side more. Or is the access to the drivers seat a pain when people are sitting under or when there's gear under?

Its a simple question I know, but what are peoples preferences?
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
Re: 4WD Awning - which side?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 01:33:43 PM »
I had the same problem , soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I fitted one on each side . ;D
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »
If you are on the move, and do want to pull up on the side of the road for a cuppa/lunch/etc, and put it up for half an hour or so,  safer to have it on the passenger side away from other traffic.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
Not that I have one but am keeping my eye out for a passenger side foxwing for a couple of reasons, the relevant one here is that if you pull up on the side of the road anywhere I'd want it to come out on the non-road side.

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 02:20:06 PM »
Not that I have one but am keeping my eye out for a passenger side foxwing for a couple of reasons, the relevant one here is that if you pull up on the side of the road anywhere I'd want it to come out on the non-road side.
If you haven't seen an alu-cab 270 awning before also have a look at one of these before dropping your coin on the foxwing.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:35:07 PM »
Added a poll to see what we have

GG

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 02:43:30 PM »
I have an awning permanently mounted on the passenger side BUT I have sail track on both sides as well and can put tarps up from the sail track if I want to stay put for a while.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »
If you haven't seen an alu-cab 270 awning before also have a look at one of these before dropping your coin on the foxwing.

Yeah, I'd prefer that or probably the BunduAwn even more so but just keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand jobbie so don't really expect to find one of them. Just missed out on a fox wing for $200 a couple of weeks back.

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
Drivers side as the rear door opens to the left, therefore I don't have to walk around the door to access the back of the car.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »

Shadow Awning - $1700 is that in Yen???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
For interests sake - my question is prompted by Aldi having a 2.0m*2.5m one available for $129 this weekend.

Others might be interested. 8)
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline MadMarv

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
We used to have just 1 awning off the rear .... patrol wagon .... kept it dry .... would have liked one on the passenger side as well but sold the vehicle before we got there
Regards

Marv

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
For interests sake - my question is prompted by Aldi having a 2.0m*2.5m one available for $129 this weekend.

Others might be interested. 8)
4wd superstore pretty much always does a similar price
I have the 2.5x2.5 its going on the passenger side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Azz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
We have an Amarok, we have a Drifta fox wing on the passenger side and a straight out on the drivers side.

We set teenage daughter up in swag on passenger side, us in double on drivers side and can use tail gate as a table.
Have some walls to offer a bit of wind protection if needed that fit where ever is needed.

Offline smartyingreen

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 07:17:15 PM »
Shadow Awning - $1700 is that in Yen???
I could only wish it were Yen. Just don't ask the price of the add on room!

Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 07:48:14 PM »
I could only wish it were Yen. Just don't ask the price of the add on room!
Surely nobody would be dumb enough to pay 1700 for an awning you can get for 1/2 that in other brands... ???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 08:08:49 PM »
Surely nobody would be dumb enough to pay 1700 for an awning you can get for 1/2 that in other brands... ???

All depends on what you're comparing against.....apples v apples or apples v oranges.

I started with a home made Awning way back in the mid nineties

Than jumped to a supa-peg supa-wing, upper end of the market

I have just purchased an Ali-cab 270 and extremely happy with the purchase...not just saying it's good just because I outlaid a good amount of coin but I reckon it's the ducks guts.

So if you're comparing self supporting 270 awnings and have actually used them than all good

But if you're comparing against a $100 jobbie that needs pole, pegs and reduced coverage than its chalk and cheese

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline smartyingreen

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
Yes Bird i nearly died too! Then i thought about the fact it isn't just going on a weekend warrior car but a car that's about to do 12 months travelling. I went and seen one in the flesh after watching multiple online videos and realised for their ease, large undercover area and hopefully sturdiness that it was a small price to pay. Now i just need to fit it and get it out for it's first trip next weekend.
And to the original OP i went passenger side for the off road road argument.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 12:12:16 AM »
Yes Bird i nearly died too! Then i thought about the fact it isn't just going on a weekend warrior car but a car that's about to do 12 months travelling. I went and seen one in the flesh after watching multiple online videos and realised for their ease, large undercover area and hopefully sturdiness that it was a small price to pay. Now i just need to fit it and get it out for it's first trip next weekend.
And to the original OP i went passenger side for the off road road argument.

yeah, intended use makes a big difference, If I were going travelling long term, was going to use it daily and could afford it, is certainly a different proposition to some one using one once or twice a year.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 05:54:54 AM »
If anybody wants to drop into the north side of Brisbane I'm more than happy to give a demo......that if you haven't seen one up close and personal.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 06:57:03 AM »
If you park nose up on the beach(easy to get to fishing gear).......Driver's side = East coast, Passenger's side West coast.
If you park arse up................................................................. Driver's side = West Coast, Passenger's side East coast.

Simples............ ;D
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »
If you park nose up on the beach(easy to get to fishing gear).......Driver's side = East coast, Passenger's side West coast.
If you park arse up................................................................. Driver's side = West Coast, Passenger's side East coast.

Simples............ ;D

Er I'm confused....most beaches run north south therefore if you nose up toward the sand dune than drivers would be facing north and passenger would be facing south

Or maybe I have misread your post

Either way I alway park the car so that the side that doesn't have an Awning faces north....this gives more shade on the Awning side

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 08:27:44 AM »
Er I'm confused....most beaches run north south therefore if you nose up toward the sand dune than drivers would be facing north and passenger would be facing south

Or maybe I have misread your post

Either way I alway park the car so that the side that doesn't have an Awning faces north....this gives more shade on the Awning side

Yup, you are quite correct sir. Our sun, on this side of the equator, is always to the north. Thus giving you shade throughout the day.

And I've just realized I've got it arse-a-peak..... :-[ :-[ :-[

Should be..............

If you park nose up on the beach(easy to get to fishing gear).......Driver's side = West Coast, Passenger's side East coast.
If you park arse up................................................................. Driver's side =  East coast, Passenger's side West coast.

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
got no idea on these particular brands, but sometimes you get what you pay for. My Gunya awning costs twice what others cost many years ago, can't imagine people stumping up $800 for a normal awning these days when cheapo Supercentre seems to be the rage now....but 10 years later (on the vehicle full time) and on it's second vehicle now, my awning is still going strong other then the canvas being a touch faded and a few stains on it. I've witnessed 2 Kings awnings break from a bit of rain on them on the same camping weekend away due to their flimsy poles and light weight awning material, even though both awnings were on angles that should have let the water run off of them whilst roped down in position.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:36:48 AM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline whitedg

• Administrator
  • Swag User
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
I've got the Aldi awning, and although not always on the car (5 minute job to chuck it on), it does a great job.

It has survived storms, rain, wind and sun without any adverse effects.

I've also added a LED strip light to the track so that when unfolded, it casts a good light to the bottom side of the awning.

Thanks
Dennis