Author Topic: Twin Portable Butane Stove - Recall  (Read 3943 times)

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
Twin Portable Butane Stove - Recall
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/item.phtml?itemId=1086868&nodeId=3d297a816ca638fcc1155970ad7d93f7&fn=Recall%20Notice.pdf

Bugger :(

Not sure why they don't seem to be able to get these things sorted once and for all  >:D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:40:21 AM by archer63 »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Twin Portable Butane Stove - Recall
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
Quote from: archer63
Not sure why they don't seem to be able to get these things sorted once and for all  >:D

Not worth the hassle anymore...
I bought one of these
http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/product/stove-2-burner-ei-lpg-grill-stove/1217279?contextCategory=0604#.VzpsuaZ1eHs but there are 1098401298340239840923840's of cheaper options
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
What a pain for those who have bought one to replace their original
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle
The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
I went a Coleman dual fuel stove.
Well, I have had them for years, but found the disposable can things so convenient for a quick stop of morning cuppa.

Rather than worrying about if it is going to explode, I now know it probably will and therefore act accordingly :o.

http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/product/dual-fuel-sportster-ii/1399226?contextCategory=0601#.Vzp49r7CerY
and
http://www.coleman.com/dual-fuel-powerhouse-2-burner-stove/3000003655.html#start=5

I prefer the liquid fuel, it is easier to handle and locate any leaks. I had a 2kg gas bottle vent it's entire contents into the back of my wagon once. The tap got bumped and it bled away. Kids in the back were complaining (bloody winging kids, go to sleep!), but I couldn't smell a thing in the drivers seat, nor the others in the middle row. A poor brake light connection and it could have ended badly.

I'm surprised it took this long. They are obviously just a doubled up version of the single burners that were recalled earlier.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:02:17 PM by Hoyks »

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »

I prefer the liquid fuel, it is easier to handle and locate any leaks. I had a 2kg gas bottle vent it's entire contents into the back of my wagon once. The tap got bumped and it bled away. Kids in the back were complaining (bloody winging kids, go to sleep!), but I couldn't smell a thing in the drivers seat, nor the others in the middle row. A poor brake light connection and it could have ended badly.

That's why it is a really bad idea to carry ANY compressed gas containers inside an enclosed vehicle. Venting/leaking gas could also asfixiate anyone in the vehicle, as well as cause explosions. Good job they didn't go to sleep when you think about it.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »
They did, slept all the way from Barrington back to Maitland.

The vehicle was well ventilated with the heater sucking fresh air and blowing it into the cabin, hence why the smell didn't make it's was forward.

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »
For me...the whole attraction about these twin butane burners was their wide non stick flat plate ( ideal for pancakes etc ) , light weight and the convenience of being fueled by small canisters.

Back to the drawing board I suppose.

Cheers
Rob

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 04:19:02 PM »
They are getting better. There is only a risk of fire, instead of an explosion!
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 
The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 04:57:55 PM »
I to replaced my portable butane stove with a Coleman; I was lucky enough to find one in the local second hand shop for $30... however, I have now spent nearly 3x on bits and pieces to go with it...

Storage bag from the local saddlery ($50):

And a decent fuel bottle:

I like the Trangia bottles over a lot of the others as they are really easy to control to flow out of with the spring loaded self closing top and small spouts, compared to many of the other options which don't auto shut off... just not a cheap option...

Offline Humphreythebear

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »
Awwwwwwwww $30 bucks ....Score . They are a great stove ! Mine is nearly 30 yrs old ( bought in 87 ) and works a treat
Outback Sturt , Holden SS Ute and a MTB for the Rough Stuff

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »
Quote from: Paddler Ed
I to replaced my portable butane stove with a Coleman; I was lucky enough to find one in the local second hand shop for $30... however, I have now spent nearly 3x on bits and pieces to go with it..
I had one of those dual fuel gigs.. was a hunk of Shit after 12 mths wouldn't light, wouldn't stay lit, Shit itself when we arrived at Rainbow beach.. had to pay through teh arse there for one for our Fraser trip.. Dan who was with us had the same issue with his.
it ended up at crime converters.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »
20 years on mine now. It looks a bit 2nd hand, but works fine. Apart from a leaking O ring that needed a spanner to tweek it up, I have never had an issue.
It is still on the original converter jet thing too.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 02:28:03 PM »
I had one of those dual fuel gigs.. was a hunk of Shit after 12 mths wouldn't light, wouldn't stay lit, Shit itself when we arrived at Rainbow beach.. had to pay through teh arse there for one for our Fraser trip.. Dan who was with us had the same issue with his.
it ended up at crime converters.

Mines Coleman or Shellite only, so that should help prolong the life of it. I suspect that fuel choice will make a difference, and also making sure it's run every so often so that fuel doesn't go stale/off. I'm planning on testing it each time before we go away, but as others have said here and elsewhere there's quite a few that have got 20 - 30 years use on them, and when they do finally give up, they just get another one...

In fact I was planning on firing it up this morning to season the wok as I can't get it hot enough on the house cooker to season it properly, but instead ended up planning 2000km of a trip to Tilpa...

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 09:36:49 PM »
20 years on mine now. It looks a bit 2nd hand, but works fine. Apart from a leaking O ring that needed a spanner to tweek it up, I have never had an issue.
It is still on the original converter jet thing too.

RECALL!!!!
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 11:11:45 PM »
RECALL!!!!

More of a vague recollection  ;D