Author Topic: Bed End Flys - Goldstream/Jayco  (Read 16482 times)

Offline axle

• Tent User
Bed End Flys - Goldstream/Jayco
« on: March 08, 2016, 01:55:18 PM »
We are having 2 issues with our bed-end flys.

1) flapping while in transport - we put the poles in the bag to add weight seems to work OK but puts pressure on the bags
2) flapping (empty bag) while in use - we have tried to solve this by partly zipping the corners to prevent the empty bag flapping against the roof in the night.

Problem is either 1 or both of these is putting extra pressure on the zips and the front stitching is coming undone.

Anyone got any ideas or comments on how to stop both types of flapping without wrecking the bag?
2009 PK Ranger and 2011 Goldstream Storm RL

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Bed End Flys - Goldstream/Jayco
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »
We've got a goldstream storm and have similar issues. We only have problems when the flys are out as goldstream has straps for travelling. Tried taping the top bag done which is not really practicle. Last couple of trips I've used two bungys together to keep pressure on the top bag when the fly is out which seems to work well in the wind. Keen on seeing what others have done

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline axle

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »
We've got a goldstream storm and have similar issues. We only have problems when the flys are out as goldstream has straps for travelling.

I also have a Goldstream and think the pressure on those travelling straps is a fair bit without the weight of the poles in the front bag.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 07:13:29 PM »
Goldstream here i use a bit of bluetack to stop the bag flapping when set up
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »
Goldstream here i use a bit of bluetack to stop the bag flapping when set up
thanks for the feedback. Don't mean to hijack someone else's thread but does the blutac hold up in decent wind? How much do you use and what sort of spacing do you apply it?. What about rain?

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline axle

• Tent User
Bed End Flys - Goldstream/Jayco
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 10:16:53 PM »
Don't worry about the hijack. I'm also interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 05:18:42 AM »
Just curious, is it the bag flapping against the roof or the hold down straps banging against the roof.
I get it with the straps, so I just tie a knot in them.
Have never had a issue with the bags themselves?
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 06:12:22 AM »
We twisted the side straps to shorten them making them tighter whilst travelling.
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 09:35:04 AM »
thanks for the feedback. Don't mean to hijack someone else's thread but does the blutac hold up in decent wind? How much do you use and what sort of spacing do you apply it?. What about rain?

Just a gob of bluetac on each of the tie things that hold the bag fly to the bed when travelling

When the camper is set up the bag fly hitting the roof drives me mad so i undo the bag fly roll the top section of the cover up then stick it to the roof with a bit of blu tac. Has held up so far only thing i found is you have to give the roof a bit of a clean so it will stick
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline axle

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 01:39:01 PM »
Just a gob of bluetac on each of the tie things that hold the bag fly to the bed when travelling

When the camper is set up the bag fly hitting the roof drives me mad so i undo the bag fly roll the top section of the cover up then stick it to the roof with a bit of blu tac. Has held up so far only thing i found is you have to give the roof a bit of a clean so it will stick

This is a great idea. :cup:  We will try it next time out. That flicking sound is just so annoying.

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 01:48:47 PM »
So very glad you asked the question.  I was kinda hoping for a better solution than blutak.
I zip the zips back for when it is set up. It is not perfect. A night down near Albany saw to that as a fix.

I put zip ties over the little locks to prevent them coming undone while traveling. This has worked up to now. Not a solution to the problem though.

Thanks for the tip of having the poles in the bag. This gets done straight away.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:57:06 PM by landbarge »

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 08:27:02 PM »

Thanks for the info. I've always tied a knot in the straps when the fly is open but will give the blu tac a go.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 08:44:28 PM »
Ok been about 6 mths since we used the campe due to an extended trip OS. Just wanted to provide some feedback on the blutac. Just spent two weeks at Cape Palmerston and used blutac to hold the empty bags for the fly ends to the roof to stop the flapping in the winds. As usual i tied knots in the securing straps which worked well. We had some wind over the two weeks but not a lot. Max wind was probably 25k knots and the blutac worked brilliantly. When it came time to pack up it only took a few mins to remove the blutac. Thanks again for the tip hope this helps I used one pack per end

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »
I'm a heavy sleeper so the flapping has never bothered me...

Friends we camp with unstitched and removed the bag bit.  End flies are stored in the front boot and simply slide into the track before winding the roof up. Solves both issues.

I reckon theirs is easier to pack up too. Slide off and fold into a bag and throw in the boot.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 01:14:53 AM »
I lifted the sail track a little and slipped in a 500mm strap with cam-lock and screwed it down. Then I installed a breech staple (I think that's what they're called) to the bottom edge. I put one on each side, maybe 250mm in. Doesn't move a mm now, even on corrugations.

Can't comment on flapping while open, I have never noticed it?

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »
Others on the Jayco Owners Facebook page have used a small piece of timber in each corner of the bed fly bag and the screwed through the timber and bag into the roof to stop the flapping during transit. 

Offline pafc

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 09:46:01 AM »
I decided to take them off while driving and install them just before winding up the camper. Takes a couple of minutes to un fold and pull them through the sail track. Alex

Offline jj

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »
We slide the front bed fly out and slide it into the drivers side channel when travelling. Sits well and no flapping. Poles are in with the bed end flys. Arrive at camp and slide back into front channel.