Author Topic: Ford Ranger 2010 Wildtrak  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
Ford Ranger 2010 Wildtrak
« on: January 18, 2016, 04:05:36 PM »
Hi all, looking for any reviews on a 2010 ford ranger wildtrak auto diesel. I'm thinking of upgrading the rodeo and was wondering if anyone on here has one and could tell me what they think of them?

Cheers Andy

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Ford Ranger 2010 Wildtrak
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »
If thats the 4 cylinder then it is not as economical as the newer 5 cylinder diesel
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
Thanks mate. Yep it's the 4 cyl. Cheers

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »
We still have a couple of the older 3.0 rangers in the work fleet. They have been good value for us all round. The front end needs shimming to get them to straight but apart from that they both have served well. The 4wd select was replaced under recall if I remember correctly. The wild tracks have more crap on them to break. Not my cup of tea as we are harder than most on vehicles at work.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 06:45:41 PM »
We still have a couple of the older 3.0 rangers in the work fleet. They have been good value for us all round. The front end needs shimming to get them to straight but apart from that they both have served well. The 4wd select was replaced under recall if I remember correctly. The wild tracks have more crap on them to break. Not my cup of tea as we are harder than most on vehicles at work.

Thanks for that. Did you ever have to tow with them? Just wondering how they went of you did. My 04 rodeo can get a bit sluggish up the hills with the camper on the back.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »
They are crd so a step up from the old rodeo. Still cut from similar cloth though so not light years apart which is a good thing imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:27:37 PM »
They are crd so a step up from the old rodeo. Still cut from similar cloth though so not light years apart which is a good thing imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, the rodeo has served me well but cannot lease a car through work but has tone 2010 or newer so time for a change.

Cheers

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »
We used to have a 2010 BT50 with the 3 litre.  Was great, plenty of power and great on economy.  It was a manual though.  We have a light camper under 1 tonne and there was no real difference in economy.  At the time I was more active on the 4wd action forum and there was plenty of positive feedback with respect to the Wildtracks at the time.  Not sure of the current feedback as they are getting on 5 years plus.  If the km's are good then I think you should be pretty right.  Check out the Ranger/BT 50 forums.

Still see plenty of the base models around with camper setups, tradesmen and the like.  From memory the Wildtrack had the same running gear just more bells and whistles.

One issue with the Ranger/BT 50 dual cabs was rust forming under the window rubbers.  Many people I knew at the time with the Ranger had rust around the windows.  Just peel back the rubbers and have a look.  I assume Wildtrack would have the same issue.  I had rust forming around the external tie down hooks which were replaced under warranty. 

Cheers
2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 03:05:34 PM »
We used to have a 2010 BT50 with the 3 litre.  Was great, plenty of power and great on economy.  It was a manual though.  We have a light camper under 1 tonne and there was no real difference in economy.  At the time I was more active on the 4wd action forum and there was plenty of positive feedback with respect to the Wildtracks at the time.  Not sure of the current feedback as they are getting on 5 years plus.  If the km's are good then I think you should be pretty right.  Check out the Ranger/BT 50 forums.

Still see plenty of the base models around with camper setups, tradesmen and the like.  From memory the Wildtrack had the same running gear just more bells and whistles.

One issue with the Ranger/BT 50 dual cabs was rust forming under the window rubbers.  Many people I knew at the time with the Ranger had rust around the windows.  Just peel back the rubbers and have a look.  I assume Wildtrack would have the same issue.  I had rust forming around the external tie down hooks which were replaced under warranty. 

Awesome thanks mate will check those spots for rust. I believe the one I'm looking at came from Dalby so hopefully it's never seen the salt air.

Cheers Andy
Cheers

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »
Sorry Andy, meant the door rubbers.  But check the windows also and bottom of the doors.  Didn't matter whether was at the coast or not.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=104420

Good luck.  They are very nice fourbys.

cheers
2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 09:43:01 AM »
Sorry Andy, meant the door rubbers.  But check the windows also and bottom of the doors.  Didn't matter whether was at the coast or not.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=104420

Good luck.  They are very nice fourbys.

cheers

Cheers mate most likely check it out tomorrow and most likely buy it. Which means I'll now have the rodeo and territory for sale. The driveway will look like a car yard!

Offline whitey

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »
I have a 2010 Ranger XLT and the only thing I could fault is the poor suspension from Std, I put up with it for a year until we got a slide on camper and things had to change asap, just a good 4WD set of springs ( not too solid) to carry a good load, beefier front torsion bar and good shocks ( not plugging anyone's products, went to a local spring works place and talked to an expert) I put air bags in as they are perfect for my application. Vehicle comfort and drive is better than other makes at that time of purchase by a long shot. I Have travelled high plains to central Oz in all terrains without a mishap, so as for the vehicle choice you shouldn't be disappointed with the Wildtrak, as long as the last owner has done his services on time. I am Holden at heart but would buy another Ford Ranga before any other brand. Good model but you pay extra for some cosmetic fittings.

Cheers Whitey

Offline whitey

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »
Forgot  I have a manual and my mate has the Auto on a trip through the centre his mileage was better than mine Averaged 11 to 13  ltrs per 100 and he had a canopy roof rack loaded up with roof tent and carry boxes and the back of vehicle chockers and we weren't just sight seeing  ( I was pretty impressed and refuelled away from his grinning mug).
As for towing we have a tandem and carry a slasher and it handles and pulls great, a snorkel and bigger exhaust is a plus as well for better all round going.

Cheers again Whitey

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 09:20:37 PM »
Forgot  I have a manual and my mate has the Auto on a trip through the centre his mileage was better than mine Averaged 11 to 13  ltrs per 100 and he had a canopy roof rack loaded up with roof tent and carry boxes and the back of vehicle chockers and we weren't just sight seeing  ( I was pretty impressed and refuelled away from his grinning mug).
As for towing we have a tandem and carry a slasher and it handles and pulls great, a snorkel and bigger exhaust is a plus as well for better all round going.

Cheers again Whitey

Thanks for the info Whitey, lucky enough the one I'm going to have a look at has upgraded suspension, lift kit, 3 inch exhaust and has been re mapped.

I'm struggling to find any real negative comments on the Rangers. Think I'll stop looking for a reason not to buy it lol

Cheers

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 09:34:44 PM »
Thanks for the info Whitey, lucky enough the one I'm going to have a look at has upgraded suspension, lift kit, 3 inch exhaust and has been re mapped.

I'm struggling to find any real negative comments on the Rangers. Think I'll stop looking for a reason not to buy it lol

Cheers

Thats the idea, stop looking, both the Ranger and its sister the BT50 are giving very good performances and most of the negatives you hear are from other brand owners that have not owned one and their info came from a friends uncle whose cousin nephew had a mate whose friend of the park rangers dog ,,,,,,,, (you know what I mean).  Consider getting the NRMA, or equivalent to check it out

Cheers
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline 58fc chev

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 09:58:29 PM »
I've got an 2010 XLT and although its a manual I can't fault it. We've done numerous trips to Fraser with our Lifestyle camper in tow and never had a problem, did central oz last year again with the camper and averaged 12lt per 100km. Also tow my race car anywhere between Townsville and Willowbank and it'll sit 110k all day.
I did get an extra spring put in the rear though and only last week I had to replace the RFW solenoid but not bad for a car that's done 150k.
A mate has the Wildtrak version and hates the roll up canopy as you can't fit much under it.
I don't think you'll regret it if you go ahead with it.