Author Topic: Jayco Swan Outback - Any Issues ?  (Read 17554 times)

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
Re: Jayco Swan Outback - Any Issues ?
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 06:52:46 AM »
Thanks Paul !!

Sounds like you had a good experience with back up support with the issues you had...good one.
While I have read of issues or problems since I started my research....I am trying to keep a balanced view on what I have read elsewhere about people's issues or problems when it comes to dealers, repairs etc.
You never ever know the full story about what happened or why etc, but if a common problem appears to keep popping up obviously I will pay close attention.
Radar has locked onto a late model Swan Outback as we love the layout and this is perfect for what we are wanting.

Cheers
Rob

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 09:13:38 AM »
I have a 2010 Swan bought second hand around 4 years ago.

There is a thread here with an issue that I had with the roof. Might be worth a read. Good outcome in the end and great service from Jayco. http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30562.0

My setup is pretty basic as far as factory inclusions go. More for the fact I dislike being limited to where things can be setup as far as solar, shower etc is concerned.
I think there has only been once that I wished we had aircon but didn't have 240v anyway so would have been pointless  ;D
The little 12v fan lights do an ok job of stirring the air while sleeping or having a nana nap in the arvo.

I have portable solar and hot water for the above mentioned reasons of setup location. Also handy if the young bloke and I go for a swag weekend I can take them with us. I do see a real benefit of having these attached for setup and packup times though.

I think you will find Outback models (from 2009? onwards) came with a battery as standard.
The kitchen awning is a must to get if it doesn't have one.
Roof racks I don't have, but wish I did and is the next mod on the list when funds allow.

Don't think they have any real issues apart from Jayco build quality. Ie a few extra screws in cabinetry here and there doesn't hurt.

Before 2012 I think it is, all of the internal lights won't be led (unless the previous owner has swapped). A worthwhile change for power savings if running off battery alone.

Probably more things but can't think of them atm.

Edit - another thing is make sure you check out the lift mechanism on them. Under the front seat where all the cabling runs. Check that it looks well greased and that any of the eyelets aren't opening up ready to let go.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:19:20 AM by GUEY »
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback
The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »
Hi Guey,

I had no idea about your previous post mate as I am a newbie here and there is just so many previous posts with great info that I have really only just started scratching the surface.
But I really appreciate you sending that link as I found it very interesting. I also know that some people might not want to publicise the fact that they have " issues " and I have no problem with that either.
Realise that your post is a now a couple of years old, but did you ever find out what caused the cracking ?
Just a bad batch or faulty manufacturing process ?
Also learnt something new from you post about changing the chassis name over to the new owner.

Thanks again for sharing your owner insights.....invaluable !!

Cheers
Rob

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
Hey mate, was never really given a response as to why. The fixed it for nix so didn't really push the issue to much  :cheers:
Mate, forums are all about sharing info good or bad.  We all make our decisions and live with them. Shame the world is filled with ego's that won't let them admit their car, camper, boat and so on has a problem that could help someone down the track.
The Jayco's aren't without issues, but in general are pretty good. Any major issues from factory are normally fixed in warranty. Jayco's after sales backup/dealer network is what keeps most people satisfied in the brand.
Is it the best camper on the market? No, but it fits a demographic.

From the floor down they are a solid unit. I don't think you will find to many cases of chassis issues. What's above is a different story to a point. Mostly pretty solid, but as I said above, a few extra screws here and there with a bit of blocking wouldn't hurt. That is the cabinetmaker in me coming out though...

Things I would pay attention to on a second hand one would be canvas and flyscreens. Can be damaged if not packed away properly. Really check the flyscreens as holes can be hard to see.
Lift mechanism - as posted above.
Wiring - check behind the setec unit to see if any dodgy stuff has gone on. (Won't look much different to factory though  ;D )
Just the general condition of it, especially underneath will give a good indication of the life it has had.
Water stains in the ceiling - roof leaks
Check around the plumbing inlets for staining. If it has a 12v water pump in the system, switch it on and just quietly listen for a while. If you hear it click every now and again, there may be a small leak in the system somewhere.

2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback
The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »
Agree....if they fixed it and all's good...no point really in pursuing it...just be happy it's done.
I have no intention of taking the one we get up a goat track or up to the cape...and if the one we get is in good nick...then it will no doubt stay that way hopefully.
Have heard some blokes go around unscrewing every screw they can find and sika flexing them back in. Also read a post somewhere else about the newer models with Jayco's new independent suspension, but not sure if there was a fault or if it was a regular maintenance issue ?
Would love to be able to sneak up into a 2013 model as I think they look great....but I'm not sure what other minor changes were made for this year apart from the suspension and decor ?

At least I can say that hopefully we won't be looking through rose coloured glasses and that is the best thing about forums like these. Will have a list of things to check off when the time comes...just hope we end up buying from an honest seller.

Cheers
Rob