Author Topic: Anti Virus Software Question  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
Anti Virus Software Question
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:19:36 AM »
OK you IT techs, since installing Windows 10 last July, my Norton 360 anti virus is not compatible with it and it is also no longer compatible with facebook.
It looks like a Microsoft v Symantic situation and as my Norton is coming up for its annual renewal, my question is. Does anyone know of, or can recommend a brand of anti virus software that is compatible with Windows 10 and Facebook. Preferably one that has a password vault with it comparable to Norton's Identity Safe programe.

KingBilly

Re: Anti Virus Software Question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:14:08 AM »
My son has Windows 10 and AFAIK it is compatible with the 2016 version of Norton 360

KB

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:24:50 AM »
My son has Windows 10 and AFAIK it is compatible with the 2016 version of Norton 360

KB

Thanks KB, my current Norton 360 is the 2015 version and it expires in June. I have been using Norton for over ten years and if i can guarantee that the 2016 version is fully compatible then i will stay with Norton.
Do you have a link to anywhere that can verify this?

Cheers
 :cheers:

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
Avast  ;D
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 08:36:49 AM »
I've been using BitDefender for couple of years now.. but don't do stalkerbook.... and don't do windows 10..

but their support forum should be able to tell you piss easy
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ruskie

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »
Do you have a link to anywhere that can verify this?

Hey Robbo

this page should help you out.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/au/home/current/solutions/v107701320_EndUserProfile_en_us

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Anti Virus Software Question
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:42:25 AM »
I've always run the Microsoft  free antivirus and security software which they don't advertise that much I can't  justify paying for anti virus software from companies who are responsible for developing most of the virus's etc. Now I run macs don't rally have to worry though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
as others have said, i just run the standard microsoft inbuilt antivirus in windows 10, but then have the free versions of the following products installed:

malwarebytes (when installing, do not sign up for the free trial of premium version.  untick the tickbox that offers this trial near the end of the install)
emsisoft emergency kit

i just alternately run a scan from these products every other week or so (one scan from malwarebytes, next time run the emsisoft scanner)...

they don't run in the background, you just update the signatures, then run the scan as required.  works a treat.

as for the password vault, i would recommend you try moving to something like lastpass or 1password... they have plenty of browser plugins and smartphone app compatibility and you are then not tied to your antivirus platform...

YMMV...

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:57:39 AM by paceman »

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 09:07:25 AM »
Bitdefender is good. Also has a Crypto vaccine tool available which will run independently of the AV program.

Crypto Vaccine

Microsoft security essentials is also good.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 09:14:37 AM »
I use Trend Micro http://www.trendmicro.com.au/au/home/ , mainly because I get a free subscription through work. If I didn't, I'd still probably run it. The subscription is reasonably priced, it gives a lot of options for family filters and doesn't suck up too much memory.

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »
Hey Guys, thank you all for your replies. Brilliant. As always the MySwag family
to the rescue. :cup:
Ruski:  I did do the norton update but it did'nt make any difference, but as
King Billy said the new 2016 just might.
Paceman: Thanks, once again, i assume you are referring to the Microsoft Defender that came with Windows 10? I have checked it out online and it would appear to do what i require, also with those add ons that you have recommended.
Bird and MrBitchi: Is that BitDefender one that you purchase and is it Windows 10 compatible?

Cheers Guys

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 10:15:08 AM »
Hey Guys, thank you all for your replies. Brilliant. As always the MySwag family
to the rescue. :cup:
Ruski:  I did do the norton update but it did'nt make any difference, but as
King Billy said the new 2016 just might.
Paceman: Thanks, once again, i assume you are referring to the Microsoft Defender that came with Windows 10? I have checked it out online and it would appear to do what i require, also with those add ons that you have recommended.
Bird and MrBitchi: Is that BitDefender one that you purchase and is it Windows 10 compatible?

Cheers Guys

yea, windows defender that comes with windows 10... no extra purchases necessary for anti-virus/malware, other than the suggested lastpass/1password changeover...

Offline ruskie

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 10:26:15 AM »
I give a +1 on LastPass

I use it for both personal and work, as I have too many username and passwords to remember for each customer site I log into. You can also get a iPhone version too, although it is a paid one it is well worth the cost.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 10:30:12 AM »
I give a +1 on LastPass

I use it for both personal and work, as I have too many username and passwords to remember for each customer site I log into. You can also get a iPhone version too, although it is a paid one it is well worth the cost.

+2 for lastpass...

that's the one i use... was using the free keepass for a while, but for the small cost, the lastpass integration and phone app makes for an smooth experience...

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 11:28:53 AM »
Avast  ;D
+1 for the free version, just have to ignore the up-sell from time to time

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »
Windows Defender and Bitdefender are 2 different programs. Windows Defender is built in to windows 10 and is ok... ish.

Bitdefender is a 3rd party program that has a free or subscription version. I run the free version.

For passwords I use Keypass both at home and work, and have done for many years.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:44:20 AM by MrBitchi »
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline Anya45

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
We run Trend Micro on all our comp's and have for years, easy to use and has never failed us.
Some people are like clouds. When they go away, it's a brighter day.

2013 FJ Cruiser
2016 Jayco Swan OB

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 05:09:52 PM »
We have Windows 10 and Nortons.   

Nortons were actually really good recently when we had a problem.  Their tech did the full support thing and logged onto our PC and ran some special tools to sort out the issue.   I was surprised at just how good the support was - timeliness and communication etc were all top notch. 

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »
No AV is infallible....however, (roughly) 10yr's ago, I done a test using some of the more popular AV's at the time - eg: Norton's, Trend, Avast, that free one that use to be quite popular - I forget what it was called, Nod32.
Was done on the same clean installed machine for each test. Had a contact create and send me a virus so I wouldn't know it's 'make up', and tested the AV's against it.
I was surprised at the failure of most of them, but long story short....Nod32 won hands down, and I've had a multi machine license ever since. Yeah, 10yr's is a long time in the puter world, but 2 of them license's are on our now late to mid 20's sons, who use their machines with no care in the world what links they click on  ;)  so my vote will always be with Nod....that is until such time I've found it's let me down. I also restore a known clean image monthly onto our machine(s)

I've always run the Microsoft  free antivirus and security software which they don't advertise that much I can't  justify paying for anti virus software from companies who are responsible for developing most of the virus's etc. Now I run macs don't rally have to worry though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing whatsoever to do with it's OS though, is it?....only supply and demand, same as there's more parts out there for commonwhores, than there is for passat's  ;)
Bob and Robyn