Author Topic: Outback accident in NT  (Read 8479 times)

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Outback accident in NT
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »
Thanks for this a timely warning to all  . Looks as though the trip is over as almost everything is stuffed , but them  :cup:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »
2 very lucky people by the looks of that. Makes me wonder how they did that though, it was a really good road when we drove it a few years back.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Kennchris

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:04:13 AM »
In the 2nd photo there looks to be a bogie axle boat trailer in the wreckage of the caravan, where would they have been carrying it? 

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:26:48 AM »
In the 2nd photo there looks to be a bogie axle boat trailer in the wreckage of the caravan, where would they have been carrying it?

Portable boat trailer for the tinnie I would guess

GG

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
Portable boat trailer for the tinnie I would guess

GG
Yep, fold up trailer for sure. I have a bar/bracket for one on the back of the Goldie Wing 1.
The road shoulders look pretty severe in the photos. A lucky couple nonetheless.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 11:49:38 PM »
I've had first hand experiance in going through something similar to that last year. Only difference for us was we didnt have the camper trailer in tow and we where on bitumen so a little bit higher speed that the one linked above. All I can say is seatbelts and kids car seats save lives - especially the kids car seats -keep them in them for as long as they will fit!!!! all 4 of our kids where uninjured apart from some minor bruising (from the seatbelts) and scatches to the two oldest kids. Myself and my wife took one each for the team with a spinal injury (me) and my wife degloving her right hand. And make sure your seat belts are reasonably firm to fit, especially in cars with no seatbelt pre tensioners. My wife got thrown about a far bit because her seatbelt wasnt all that tight (look at the gap from the drivers side to the door)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 06:37:37 AM »
You walk away from it its a good one . Stay Safe  :cup:

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »
That's the van chassis. If you look close, 2 water tanks , cross members for floor, pole tube and maybe red spare wheel.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
only thing i can add is when in doubt stop or at the least slow down enough to access the situation 

out and about on a 4wd sand track last week i had just come through a section that was one lane the opened up to a one and half track which then turned into a two way track 100 mtrs further on.

i was just coming out of the one lane when i could see their car in the two lane section we meet in the one and a half section where i pulled over as far as i could and stopped.

mind you they had just left the 2 way section travelling at about 40 k their 4wd flicked up at the last moment to just miss me.
if they had just stopped their would not been the puckering moment that i had

it makes me wounder some times whats the rush
just to add no risk of getting bogged

:cheers:
Ads

Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 04:32:15 PM »
That's the van chassis. If you look close, 2 water tanks , cross members for floor, pole tube and maybe red spare wheel.

I think everyone was asking about the 2nd photo.. Its pretty obvious to everyone that there is an upside down caravan in the 1st photo.

1st Photo

If you look closely at the 2nd photo, there is another set of axles in the picture. I think the general consensus is that this is a boat trailer.

2nd Photo
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 04:55:53 PM »
My mistake, trying to navigate the site via the phone.  Saw boat. Didn't see second trailer
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:02:16 PM by #jonesy »
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Metters

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 08:30:47 PM »
. Makes me wonder how they did that though, it was a really good road when we drove it a few years back.

I don’t know what happened here but there would be a good chance the answer could be found somewhere in these two links.

This type of thing happens far too often and it is not restricted to dirt roads.

http://caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/caravan-dynamics/

http://caravanbuyersguide.com.au/tow-vehicle-caravan-weight/

Offline PB

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
I can confirm that boat trailer is one of those fold up types. Not sure where it was stored prior to the accident. I have seen the other photos of the accident.

I'm not lost. I am exploring.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
Could l ask why you would put a 10ft tinnie on a bogie trailer  . lt seems to be a bit upside down to me  :cheers:

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 09:41:38 PM »
The bogey trailer is the caravan and sitting in the wreckage is a fold up boat trailer that looks like a small bogey, because the two wheels are folded around together, its just a foldup tinny trailer
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 11:13:38 PM »
" I've had first hand experiance in going through something similar to that last year. Only difference for us was we didnt have the camper trailer in tow and we where on bitumen so a little bit higher speed that the one linked above. All I can say is seatbelts and kids car seats save lives - especially the kids car seats -keep them in them for as long as they will fit!!!! all 4 of our kids where uninjured apart from some minor bruising (from the seatbelts) and scatches to the two oldest kids. Myself and my wife took one each for the team with a spinal injury (me) and my wife degloving her right hand. And make sure your seat belts are reasonably firm to fit, especially in cars with no seatbelt pre tensioners. My wife got thrown about a far bit because her seatbelt wasnt all that tight (look at the gap from the drivers side to the door)  "

ShaneGTR -  So glad you're all alive after that rollover -  I hope your family is able to recover from this as quick as hey...   Thanks for sharing - something shares is something halved - and in the case of my swag - much smaller than halved!!
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline Jen, Sprogs n Him

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 01:03:49 AM »
Shane,  I've seen your photo on here before and it gives me the shivers every time.  Can not believe you all came out of that "relatively" unharmed.. That squashed roof...
Jen

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »
Would have been more of a swished roof if I wasn't inside to hold it up with my head ;D
Luckily, I'm fixed again and back to normal and so far with no back pain so that's a good thing. My wife still has a nice big scar on her arm that's still healing, but she's got close to full hand movement/strength back so that's a good thing

Offline Jen, Sprogs n Him

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 12:36:12 AM »
Thank goodness for amazeballs doctors xx  Back pain and a scarred hand I think is a brilliant outcome considering you had 4 kidlets on board.   Not to make light of your injuries at all xx
My brother in law and his girlfriend rolled their landcruiser, she slid along the road on the side of her head... Nasty..
Jen

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 01:28:52 PM »
And thank goodness for the RFdS too. Without them it would have been a long trip to Perth for hospital treatment